Curseworker Juan

by Bickazer

This is a short story I wrote because the idea demons rudely bit me in the butt yesterday when I was in the shower. Not that I completely came up with this out of scratch, as I'd originally written Juan and Stephen as central characters to a novel idea I ultimately trashed, but that is where the idea for Juan being a curseworker comes from.

Well, it turned out...long. Exceptionally long. Fifteen pages, single-splaced, point twelve Times New Roman in Microsoft Word. >_> Yeah, I feel like I've already scared people away. I didn't intend it to be this long! So I'll post this in two increments, how's that sound? Ok? Ok? (although it'll probably lose a bit of its impact, being a short story meant to be read in one sitting...) Also, a few characters have Spanish names with accents and en-yays (what do you call 'em???), and I don't know how this forum will deal with them. EDIT: Whew, I'm relieved, they translated fine. It'd be weird reading about "Juan de Leon" and "Senor Aguila", wouldn't it...? >_>

If y'all like this, I could possibly make this one of many short stories centering around Juan and Stephen and their involvement with people asking for curses. Or something.

----------------------------------------------------

Curseworker Juan

Juan de León headed through the streets of the city, his dark wool coat wrapped tightly around him, collar turned up to shield his cheeks from the cold. He walked at a steady pace, his strides brisk and business-like, and seemed ignorant of the happy and languid people milling around him. Occasionally they would shoot him odd looks, wondering perhaps where someone could be hurrying to on a holiday weekend, of all times. Juan ignored their observations, though—he just continued to stride as quickly as he could down the city sidewalks, kicking up flurries of snow after him.

The morning was cold but that didn’t stop the people from flowing out into the streets anyway, bundled, like coccooned moths, in ugly holiday-themed sweaters and holding steaming Styrofoam cups of hot cocoa. Children were taking advantage of the early snow to scoop of handfuls of the stinging white flakes and hurl them at each other, but Juan did not share the children’s enthusiasm. It was cold; much too cold. He drew his knit wool cap tighter over his ears, covering up more of his thick dark hair, and quickened his pace.

The man he was supposed to meet was standing on the street corner, exactly where they’d agreed to meet yesterday. The instant Juan caught sight of the man, he quickened his pace and almost half-jogged the rest of the way to the street corner. By the time he caught up with the man, Juan was out-of-breath and the back of his neck prickled with sweat, despite the cold outside.

“Hello, Juan,” said the man, the faintest ghost of a smile crossing his face. He was a tall man, his tousled brown hair hidden by the hood of his hideous dark green duffel coat. His eyes shone a brilliant shade of green, with flecks of gold within, and a rough layer of several days’ worth of stubble coated his chin. “Making up for your lateness by running?”

“Shut up, Stephen,” said Juan, slipping his gloved hands in his pockets and shooting a heavy glare at his companion, Stephen Winter. “I missed my train, but that has nothing to do with anything. You said you had a job for me?”

“Why of course,” said Stephen, the faint smile still twitching at the corner of his lips. “Funny how the great Juan de León would disturb his holiday rest to take on a job, now of all times.”

Juan had to concede that Stephen had a point. “That may be so, Stephen. But from what you’ve told me this is no ordinary job. And there’s never rest for a curseworker.”

“Of course, of course.” Stephen rolled his eyes at the sky. “Let me guess—another one of old Aguila’s lessons?”

“That would be Señor Aguila to you,” said Juan, giving Stephen a dark glare. “The job, Stephen.”

“Such impatience, Juan. Seems the inverse of our usual relationship, doesn’t it?” said Stephen with a little laugh, but before he could give Juan a chance to reply, he reached into his duffel coat and began fumbling around in his inside pockets, presumably for the request he’d received through the mail last evening. “But I digress, I digress. Here it is, Señor de León –your latest request. There’s just something charming about it when it’s kids, isn’t there?”

Juan accepted the request Stephen handed him without saying anything. He raised his eyebrows when he saw it was a postcard—very few requests came in by paper anymore, what with the advent of email and text messaging, and most of the few mailed ones came in on airmail paper, in envelopes. This request, however, had been written on a simple postcard with an image of a city skyline on the front, the likes of which could be bought for a dime in any store in the city. When Juan flipped it over, he saw the address—one of the city’s new suburban subdivisions—and request were written in a painfully-scripted, lopsided, childlike print.

He’d been expecting this, though. This was the reason Juan had disturbed his holiday break to accept a request in the first place…just because it was unusual.

Dear Curseworker Juan,” read Juan out loud. “My name is Ethan. I am 9 years old. I want you to curse my mom and dad. Please meet me in the old cabin in the forest. Sincerly—I presume that would be sincerely—Ethan Phillips.”

The curseworker lowered the postcard without saying a word, and looked up at Stephen, his dark eyes meeting Stephen’s own green ones. Stephen smirked in response.

“They just keep getting younger and younger, don’t they?”

Juan turned away from Stephen and raised the postcard in the air, frowning at the forlorn message printed in such neat and painstaking handwriting on the back. “Well, this is certainly an unusual request. How did this kid hear about me in the first place?”

“It could be a joke,” suggested Stephen.

“If you thought it was a joke, Stephen, you wouldn’t have called me in the first place.” Juan lowered the card again, turning back to his employer, his expression serious. Stephen shrugged and sighed.

“You’re right. Of course, Juan. I’d never waste your time on a joke.”

“So this is real. This kid wants to curse his parents, hmm?” Juan glanced down at the penciled writing on the postcard again, as if it’d unveil some hitherto-unknown secret about the writer—but of course it didn’t. “Sounds like a typical parent-child conflict gone awry.”

“Aww, is Dr. Juan gonna swoop in and get everyone to hug and make up and ride off in the sunset happily ever after?” said Stephen, his tone mocking. Juan threw a disapproving glare at Stephen.

“You can shut up, Winter. What do you think--? I’m going to do my job, nothing more, nothing less. That’s what the kid requested, so that’s what the kid will get.”

Stephen looked surprised, but only for a moment. A wide, insidious smirk soon cut across his face, and his twinkling green eyes acquired a devilish light. “You’re right, Juan. I didn’t mean to belittle you. So—this ‘cabin in the woods’. I’d assume this kid means the abandoned old hunter’s lodging, in the part of the forest that hasn’t been converted to suburbia.”

“Thank you,” said Juan, jerking his head in a brief nod in acknowledgment to Stephen. “Well—before I go, I’d better tidy up my office. I think I’ll be using it a lot more than I planned this holiday vacation.”

“Right you are,” said Stephen. “Let’s go, Juan.”

Without casting a backwards glance at the unknowing, ambling holiday crowds, Stephen and Juan turned around and swept off through the streets of the city, soon losing themselves in the massive crowd. When the light turned red and the crosswalk opened to pedestrians, there wasn’t a single sign that the curseworker and his employer had been there only seconds before.

*************

Stephen had offered to go with Juan to the meeting place, but Juan had declined—it was only a kid, after all. Juan had performed curses for powerful people, for mafia bosses and police commissioners and minor politicians and even a famous actor or two, and in those cases he had always appreciated the presence of his older, stronger employer. If the curse requester ever got out of hand, Stephen would be there to deal with them with all the grace and subtlely of an eighteen-wheeler driven by a raging drunkard.

In the case of a nine-year-old child, though…Juan felt he could handle himself. A part of him toyed with the notion of just convincing the boy to drop his curseworking ambitions, but most of Juan had decided to follow whatever request the kid might have. So long as he was being paid for it…

Juan found the cabin in the woods with ease—it was a faded, dilapidated affair, looking rather lonely amidst the tall, bare trees of the forest. The curseworker guessed that both the cabin and forest wouldn't be around next year, when the subdivision expanded, but so long as they were around, they were the favorite playing-place of children. The curseworker personally didn’t get the appeal of the outdoors, but that was just a personal gripe.

He scaled the rickety steps to the cabin doors with caution, wondering what kind of child this Ethan Phillips was. If he went so far as to ask for a curseworker…and how did he even know what a curseworker was? Maybe the request was a joke...

Juan raised his hand, halfway prepared to knock on the door—but one look at the door persuaded him otherwise. The thing would probably splinter into a million matchsticks with the slightest impact. He had to get inside, though, so he settled for pushing, with the utmost gentleness, on it, and hoped he wouldn't rip it off its hinges. The door swung open with a faint creak of a protest, and Juan prepared to take a step inside.

He didn’t though—instead, the curseworker took a step backward, surprised by the appearance of a boy at the door. A small boy, a boy who couldn’t have been older than ten, his gingery hair straight and well-combed, and his eyes huge and hazel behind round glasses. A few freckles were sprinkled with fitful imprecision on his milk-white face, but otherwise he appeared an ordinary, pale and unremarkable fourth-grader. He stared up at Juan, real surprise shining in his wide eyes.

“Hello,” said Juan, flashing the boy a brief, humorless smile. “Are you Ethan Phillips?”

“Ah—ah—” squeaked the little boy, his voice high-pitched and squeaky even for a nine-year-old. “Um—um—are you Curseworker Juan?”

“Perhaps.” Juan decided to opt for “mysterious” here, which wasn’t hard as the kid already seemed shell-shocked and bamboozled out of his wits by the curseworker's appearance. “May I come in, Ethan?”

“Um—um—okay—” stammered Ethan Phillips, jumping backwards a few feet. He never removed his wide hazel eyes from Juan, as if he thought Juan was a dream that would disappear if he removed his eyes from the curseworker for just one second. "I didn’t think you’d come—”

“I did come, Ethan,” said Juan, looking for a place to sit. He didn’t find one—the cabin was bare and unfurnished, with the faint smell of dampness and mold. The curseworker instead settled for leaning against the wall, slipping his hands in his pockets and still fixing the stricken little boy with a mysterious smile. “You sent me a request, Ethan, and I answered it. Now, I’ve got to ask—how do you even know about me in the first place?”

“Um—um—” Ethan seemed panicky to an unusual degree, or maybe he was still too startled by Juan’s appearance to say anything. “Er—Billy Trementina—he’s a fifth-grader—he told me about you. About the curseworkers. He says that they curse people who ask them.”

“And Billy Trementina is quite right.” Juan almost smirked, but managed to keep his devilish amusement to himself. Trementina—as it happened, a rival curseworking family to the de León. Apparently this Billy wasn’t too good at keeping his mouth shut. “But how did you know about me?” After all, if he is a Trementina, he should have sold the services of his own family.

“Billy told me about Occultist magazine,” said Ethan. “He—he gave me one and I—I looked in it. I saw your ad.”

“And so you decided to ask me to curse your mother and father.” Juan raised his eyebrows, conveying all the skepticism he could with that simple gesture. “Tell me, Ethan, for what reason do you want me to do that? Cursing is a drastic action, and not one I’ll take on parents who only tell their children to eat their vegetables and go to bed at eight. I’ll be the first to tell you that vegetables are good for you and so is a good night’s sleep. Sorry to disappoint, if that’s what you were hoping I’d do.”

“No—no!” Ethan flushed bright red, and he turned away and shook his head for a brief moment. “No! It’s not that. See, I have a sister. Her name’s Emily."

“Yes?” said Juan, his tone coaxing but also gentle. “What about Emily?”

“She—my mom and dad—” Ethan paused for a moment. “My mom and dad—they really like her--”

“Ah.” Juan caught on in a flash. “And they don’t like you.”

No!” cried Ethan, his face even scrunching up in protest, but only for a moment. “No! No—they just—they like Emily more than me! Emily’s six, she just started school, and—she can sing real good. Mom and Dad like that, Mom especially. Mom wants Emily to go to acting school and be a famous singer, like on American Idol.”

“But you can’t sing.” Juan felt a faint stab of sympathy, being tune-deaf himself.

“No—I wanna—I wanna be a paranormal researcher.” A visible note of pride slipped into Ethan’s voice at the last two words, as if he was congratulating his accomplishment in pronouncing such a complicated word. “I like that stuff. The occult and stuff like that. I wanna—but Mom doesn’t. She says it’s weird and crazy stuff, that it’s not real and I should just try to be famous. Not like Dad; she says he's just a 'pathetic bum'.” He paused, and when he went on, his voice had acquired a sad, almost hardened note--a hardness that just didn't go with such a little boy. “Mom didn’t even get me what I wanted for my birthday. She got Emily a new dress and sheet music and she just got me a sweater. I wanted a paranormal research kit—like the one in the book orders—”

“Well, that’s not very kind of her,” said Juan, clucking disapprovingly. What a dysfunctional family this boy has… “You know that some aspects of the paranormal are real. Like curseworking.”

“Yeah! Yeah!” The faint bitter note that had entered Ethan’s voice became replaced by a raw, eager excitement, and his eyes turned, shining with an almost beseeching light, to Juan. “Curseworker Juan—I know you can do it—your ad said you’re the best in the city! That’s why I wrote you the card.”

Best in the city…well, wasn’t Stephen a master of spin? Juan managed to keep his chuckle to himself, though, and said, “So, Ethan. What do you want me to do to your mom and your dad?”

Ethan stared, wide-eyed and surprised, at Juan, his expression analogous to one a deer about to get run over by a Hummer might make. But only for a moment—the look of surprise faded away, to be replaced by something akin to a steely determination. Ethan drew himself up to his full height (which wasn’t much), and, meeting Juan’s dark eyes with his hazel ones, said, his squeaky voice ringing out with almost authority, “I want you to make Mom and Dad like me. I want you to make them not like Emily and singing anymore, and make them like me and paranormal research more.”

Ethan continued staring up at Juan, his expression intent, his pale throat convulsing, almost as if expecting the curseworker to challenge him. Juan didn’t, however. He instead unpeeled himself from the wall (about time—any longer and his coat would bear the permanent stench of mildew), and strode over to Ethan so that the two were only about a foot apart. Ethan jumped back, surprised, but Juan was not deterred and took another two steps forward, closing the distance between the two.

“Ethan,” he said, imbuing his voice with all the quiet seriousness he could muster—the time for playing around was over. “Ethan Phillips—do you understand just what you are asking me to do? A curse is serious, Ethan. And it will last forever. You cannot take it back. Do you understand, Ethan Phillips? When you make this curse, you are writing a contract between you and I. A contract that cannot be taken back. Even if you regret it, you can never reverse it. Do you understand?”

Ethan gulped, the sound more than audible, and his eyes widened, but he then jerked his head into a brief nod. “Uh-huh. Yeah. I—I understand. But—but I really want this—”

“I can tell,” said Juan with a dry chuckle. “If you’re desperate enough to ask me…but anyhow. Tell me, Ethan, first of all—do you know anything about how curseworking actually works?”

“Um…” Ethan’s throat convulsed again. “Um…I dunno. I thought you just went to my parents and put the curse on them? That’s what Billy said. Someone asks the curseworker and they put a curse on whoever you want, right?”

Juan let out a heavy sigh, and shook his head. Of course, he should have expected this…he doubted a ten-year-old would be able to tell Ethan the true, intricate details of curseworking, even if he came from a curseworking family himself. “You’re not entirely right, Ethan. There is—is a prescribed method for doing this. You see, in the first meeting between a curseworker and his client—that’d be you—no actual curseworking is done. Now—don’t make that face; it takes time to weave together a proper curse. You cannot just say ‘I curse you to oblivion’ and let it be done; that’s not how things work. You must choose your words carefully, because remember, you are dooming them for the rest of their lives, perhaps more.”

“Ah—” Much to Juan's surprise, Ethan became even paler than he already was. “But--what’re you going to do now? Are you just gonna leave and—”

“Oh, no.” Juan shook his head, unable to keep a small chuckle from escaping his lips. “During the first meeting between the curseworker and his client—the client pays the curseworker.”

This time, Ethan most definitely blanched. The boy took several steps backwards, his eyes widening to almost impossible proportions. He seemed to be struggling to speak for a few moments, and Juan stood back in polite patience, waiting for Ethan to spit it out.

“I didn’t—I have—I have two quarters with me, I think…” Ethan started digging into the pockets of his overlarge lambskin jacket. “I dunno—and I have forty-seven dollars and fifty-two cents in my allowance, is that enough?”

Juan chuckled again, and shook his head. “Oh, no. If you’d read the ad—” or if Stephen had printed anything halfway truthful “—you’d know that my starting price is one hundred and twenty dollars down, more if the curse is especially difficult or takes a long time to work. Not a penny less.”

“One—one hundred twenty!” Ethan flinched as if he’d been struck. “But—I used t’have that much in my allowance but I spent it on a ghost book—I dunno what to do—Mom and Dad give Emily more allownace’n me—”

The little boy’s panic was amusing in a strange way, but also almost saddening. Juan felt another stirring of pity towards the child—he was only a kid trying to pursue a dream, a dream his parents didn't want him to pursue for selfish reasons of their own. The curseworker didn't understand, coming from a close-knit, loving family himself, but at the very least he could sympathize. And besides, what kind of nine-year-old boy would walk around with a hundred and twenty dollars on him, anyhow?

“It’s all right,” said Juan, raising a hand before Ethan could kill himself from a panic attack. “I’ll tell you what, Ethan—since you’re the first kid who’s asked of my services, I’ll give you a special offer. I’ll perform this curse for forty-seven dollars and fifty-two cents—keep your two quarters, buy some gum with them or something—but you must promise me one thing.”

“What? What is it? What what what what?” cried Ethan, almost hopping up and down in his joy. He stared up at Juan with such admiration that Juan, for some reason, felt his pity intensify. To think that this boy was admiring a curseworker, of all people… “What is it? What promise? What?"

“You must promise me this, Ethan—” began Juan, and then he knelt down so he and Ethan were eye-to-eye. The little boy stared into Juan’s eyes, eagerness, excitement, a tiny bit of fear, apprehension, admiration, shining in his hazel eyes. “You must never tell anyone. Do you understand? Do not tell anyone. Not your friends, not your parents, not your sister, not even Billy Trementina. Do you understand, Ethan Phillips?”

“Ah—uh—um—” For a moment, it seemed something was stuck in Ethan’s throat, but then he coughed with an audible wet sound, and when he spoke again, his words were still hesitant but rang with a renewed confidence. “Um. Okay. I do understand. I won’t tell anyone.”

“Good.” Juan sighed deeply, and placed his hands on Ethan’s shoulders—only for a moment. The boy tensed, surprised for a moment, but didn’t have a chance to recover before Juan had removed his hands and slipped them, with a theatrical elegance, back in his pockets. The curseworker pulled himself up to his full height again, and gave Ethan his best mysterious smile. “That’s very good, Ethan. Now—I will write your curse. And we will meet again, in seven days, in this same location, at the same time. Remember that, Ethan. And be there.”

“Yes! Yeah, I’ll remember—I will—” said Ethan, eagerness ringing in his voice and undisguised hope shining in his eyes. The smile Juan gave him was a little sad and a little mysterious and a little patronizing as well. The curseworker waved goodbye to the boy as he headed to the door, and before Ethan could blink, Juan had slipped out of the door and disappeared in the forest beyond.

“Where did he--?” cried Ethan, his voice echoing through the forest, as he dashed over to the door and stared out—at a pristine, snow-blanketed forest. There was no sign of Juan de León anywhere.

*************

“Hard at work, Juan?” said Stephen, leaning over Juan’s desk and casting a large shadow over the curseworker hard at work on his computer. Stephen’s stubble had grown into a full-on beard by now, and he was carrying a mug of coffee in one hand.

“Good morning to you too, Stephen,” said Juan, his inflection flat and distracte, ignoring his employer and training all of his attention on the computer screen. He continued clacking out lines at a steady pace, at times hitting the delete key to replace words or even entire phrases.

“Writing a curse?” said Stephen, scooting around Juan’s desk so that he was standing by the curseworker’s side. “Well, I’m surprised the little brat could even pay.”

“In that, a little bit of the fault goes to you,” said Juan, though most of him was still focused on the computer screen. “You didn’t bother putting any prices in my Occultist ad, did you?”

“Sure I did. It was probably just too small for the kid to notice.” Stephen leaned over Juan’s shoulder to examine the computer screen, much to the curseworker’s annoyance. “Is that his curse you’re working on?”

“Who else’s could it be?” said Juan, twitching in slight irritation. “Stop leaning over me, you’re making it hard for me to concentrate.”

“Sorry,” said Stephen, and much to Juan’s relief he straightened up—only to take a perch on Juan’s desk, scooting loose papers off the desk to accommodate his own rear end. “It’s hard work, isn’t it?”

“Yes.” Juan leaned back in his chair with a heavy sigh, slumping his head against the chair back and bringing his arms down to his side. “It's very hard work. All the politicians tugging on me one way and the actors tugging on me the other way and the mob bosses and police commisioners waving their guns and threatening me. Not to mention all the bored heiresses who just want me to jinx their parents or whatever. Everyone wants different things; and they all turn to me to make it happen. I'm surprised I even have time to sleep."

“Ha ha ha.” Stephen let out a short and dry laugh. “Well, you know. Politicians and actors and rich prima donnas. All in a day’s work for you."

“Yeah, all in a day’s work,” said Juan, and then leaned forward in his chair, rested his chin on his hands, and let out a heavy sigh. “Politicians—musicians—mob bosses—I can understand them. They’re all people living in rough, dog-eat-dog worlds where the law matters little, and where an eye-for-an-eye is the way of the world. It makes sense for them to employ curseworkers…”

“But it doesn’t for a kid,” said Stephen, his voice quiet.

“No.” Juan shook his head, a few strands of his dark hair falling into his eyes. “Children are—I mean—what sort of child is out to get everlasting revenge against anyone? Kids’ arguments are brief and capricious; they don’t ever mean to hurt anyone. At least not permanently. But…”

“Sibling rivalry’s a pretty major issue,” said Stephen.

“Yes, you’d know that more than anyone, you of the twenty siblings—” snapped Juan in irritation.

Nine, actually,” cut in Stephen, his voice cheerful and blithe. “And we actually never fought much—Edward ruled us with an iron fist, you know.”

“Yes, well,” said Juan, waving his hand dismissively in Stephen’s direction. “I know it’s normal for siblings to fight…but like this? For the kid to ask for a curseworker…”

“Juan,” said Stephen, all the teasing gone now, his voice having acquired a deep and quiet seriousness—and concern. He stood up, and held his hands out, with something akin to a gentle caution. “Juan—”

“Stephen.” Juan spun in his seat, turning away from the computer screen to meet Stephen’s startled gaze. The words of the curse burned like a mocking paean on the computer screen, but he ignored them, instead shaking his head, over and over again. “Stephen—what the hell am I doing? This kid shouldn’t be talking to a curseworker in the first place. He—and his family—should be talking to a damn psychologist. Not to me. This is—this is wrong. All wrong. I won’t be helping him a single ounce, will I?”

“That…that may be true,” said Stephen, his words slow and hesitant. “But Juan—you took this job. You know you have to finish this.”

“I know,” said Juan, shaking his head in impatience. “Of course I’ll finish it; it’s what I was paid to do. But still, Stephen, I have to wonder…is this really all right?”

“What the hell’s gotten into you?” said Stephen, not bothering to hide the dryness pervading his voice. “Could it be--? The curseworker is growing a conscience?”

“Not a conscience, per se,” said Juan, casting Stephen a sidelong, sardonic glance. “I know I can’t have one, being what I am. But still—I start thinking about what I’m doing. I am bending the laws of nature, the fickle currents of magic and mystery, all for the damn sake of a kid who’s jealous of his little sister. Sometimes I wonder—I must be violating at least a hundred different codes doing this, I know I am.”

“Yeah, codes that were all laid down in the Medieval Ages, by old guys with beards and staffs,” said Stephen, giving Juan an ironic smirk. “You’re a modern, active, liberated, wage-earning curseworker. You don’t need to abide by those quaint old rules made by a bunch of stuffy patriarchs.”

“A ha ha ha, very funny, Señor Winter. But what about the higher rules I’m violating, doing this…?” said Juan, casting a bitter smirk at the shining words on the computer screen. “The rules of nature and magic itself…this is going to come back to me, Stephen, and not in a good way.”

“If you say so,” said Stephen, his tone skeptical. “It hasn’t come back to you yet, though, so I’d advise you to get cracking on it if you want your paycheck.”

“Oh, spare me from my most cruel and vicious master,” sighed Juan with the theatrical pathos of a stage actor, clutching his heart and staring with exaggerated despair, at the ceiling. Stephen laughed, and then smacked hard on Juan’s keyboard, causing a string of disjointed symbols and letters to pop up on Juan’s screen. Juan let out a load series of oaths in both languages he knew, causing Stephen to laugh, and then go saunter off—his coffee cup was empty, after all. Not to mention he didn’t want to incur the wrath of an angered curseworker.

*************

Outside, the air was frigid and the clouds hung thick and dark and gray in the sky, threatening hail at the very least, sleet and maybe a full-on snowstorm at the most. Juan de León, however, paid little attention to the weather, as he was snug and comfortable in his little climate-controlled apartment.

The blinds were drawn, the lights switched off. The only form of illumination anywhere came in the form of the single long, thin red candle, placed with a neat delicacy the center of the floor of the room Juan used to practice his curses. The curseworker paced in a circle around the candle, one arm folded across his chest, the other raised to his chin, lost in deep thought.

“On the behalf of the complainant, Ethan Maxwell Phillips…” he murmured under his breath, a slight crease of concentration appearing between his brows. “…the grievances filed are thus…”

It was essential to practice a curse. Every curseworker knew this—it had been drilled into their heads since they had first begun to learn the rudiments of the art: Practice makes perfect. A cliché if Juan ever heard one, but a true cliché. He had heard many horror stories—most from his mentor, the venerable Señor Aguila, as well as his older sister Mauricia—of what happened to curseworkers who forgot even a single word of the curse they were supposed to be casting. Rebounding curses, permanent injuries, the fires of hell itself, if Señor Aguila’s favorite story was to be believed.

It wouldn’t do to just recite a curse off a sheet of paper, either—Juan had always composed his curses on the computer beforehand, because unlike Señor Aguila he couldn’t come up with a perfectly refined curse off the top of his head. There was a specific way a curse had to be said, with power, with the firm strength and confidence of one who had practiced the words so many times they became ingrained in his head, that they came to his lips in his sleep, paraded through his mind while he dreamt…a weak recitation, or hesitation or uncertainty of any kind, was not enough to cast a curse. In fact, in some cases, weak reading engendered worse consequences than just forgetting.

It was a dangerous craft Juan had chosen, but it was one he loved, and would never give up for anything in the world.

Not even a little boy who wanted to curse his own parents just because they favored him less than his sister. Well, sure, those were messed-up parents in the first place, believing that the highest achievement their kid could aim for was being on American Idol of all things, but all the same, they didn’t deserve an eternal curse. What they deserved, Juan believed with firm conviction, was a family psychologist.

Too bad their son had hired Juan de León, proud and powerful curseworker. Now there could be no salvation for them—only eternal damnation at the hands of a young man with a dangerous understanding of the supernatural.

“...and will last forevermore.” Juan finished his memory-based recitation, confident now that he had it down, with no mistakes or omissions. The curseworker paused, glanced up to the ceiling, and squared his shoulders.

“So let the will of the mage be done.” Even as he said them, as just a component of a memorization practice, he felt the power that unconsciously entered the words, lifted them up, caused them to stir with the faintest trace of magic. The words meant nothing at all, and were more than a little archaic—no proper curseworker nowadays would call himself a “mage”. The phrase, however, was tradition, one of the oldest traditions alive in curseworking. It was unthinkable to end a curse without the final line, the confirmation of the curseworker’s power.

Once he said the words—there was no turning back. Once that final line, the will of the mage, had left his mouth, he could never recant them. Those last words, while meaning nothing, were the most powerful words on the planet to a curseworker, because they were the sign of his strength, his will, his determination to lay down a curse for all eternity on an unfortunate target.

Juan sighed heavily, and slumped his shoulders. He had said them—so he would have to carry them out. He had signed up for this and now there was no way to erase his name. Like it or not, Dr. Juan was going to fix Ethan Phillips’s family.

-------

And that's it for now; I'll post the rest soon. I'm already afraid this is a bit too long too (it's nine pages...), but oh well. The next part will actually have Juan casting the curse, so that's where the more fantasy part comes in. Honestly, I didn't expect this to be as long as it was, but...oh well. I would have posted the whole story at once, since it flows together very well, but I'm afraid that would be way too long, particularly for this site. >_>

EDIT: Went back and fixed the prose a bit, mostly removing adverbs.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:09 am
CharcoalFeather wrote a review...

This is a truly interesting and intriguing story. I'm rather new to the forums, so you may have other work I might have missed, but this is very well written, and has a sense of realism. I'm wondering if you have written anything else in similar structure. I mean of the paranormal and occult, it seems like you write it very well and seem to have experience with this type of work.

It seems well organized and the characters are vivid and well defined. You seem to take a style I often use, which is interesting, in describing a character with their personality and action rather than long description and extra detail. Its they way I like to write because you are sucked into the story so fast you can easily visualize the character without any long description.

The idea of a curseworker is something interesting, it reminds me of some of the paranormal detective stories, but has the taint of real life in it. I think its very interesting the new books that are coming out about the magic and mundane sharing a common existence. Such books as the Holly Black novels and the Dresden files (Now a tv series I believe) are all introducing people to everyday dangers and intrigue in a magical mundane world.

Giving Ethan a real personality, one that is required to be partially neutral to his clients, but with an actual conscience in the background made for a very good read. I enjoyed it. I'll add more later but I'm about to pass out on my keyboard, sorry I'll be awake more tomorrow. I'll review the grammar and structure more in depth then, although I'm not too great at it myself to be honest.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:08 am
Bickazer says...

Thanks for the critique. :) (note I have no idea if you did this after reading my PM or before, so...if you haven't, the end part of the PM will be irrelevant)

Yeah...I don't know what was running through my mind when I did the whole "last names repeating" thing; I think I was trying to reinforce that...they were at a completely different location on a completley different time? XD I have no idea. I s'pose I'll go change it...

About the dates thing...I too was a little tenative about the "XX" thing, but I've always envisioned curseworking being very precise (in an almost legal way...the way I wrote Juan's curse, I intended it seem both excessively bureaucratic and poetic at the same time. Don't know if I succeeded). But I didn't want to give away the date--would detract from the "timelessness" of the piece, as you said before. So yeah.

Oh--! I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on the end...it isn't another family, it IS supposed to be Ethan's family. I intended it to have a kind of mysterious air to it, though...I don't know. Maybe I should have Ethan acknowledging Juan somehow, in some small way, but that might drag this story on even longer than it already is. >_>

As for which one to write next, I'm doing the family annihilator one now. It's not going all that smoothly, though...I feel like I need to immerse myself in Law & Order marathons like I did during the summer, that would help me really get into the mood for it. Blehh....

Juan is quite fun to write for (and a nice distraction from Zenith), and yeah, I can really see writing a ton of different stories for him without it getting old. I keep thinking of new ideas for him...outta the top of my head, I've got the vengeful ex-boyfriend one, a bridezilla story, Juan meeting a rival...etc. etc. In fact, I was wondering if maybe I could gather all the Curseworker Juan stories in an athology...

If that's the case, this story receives the retroactive moniker of "Sibling Rivalry: A Curseworker Juan Story".

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll keep on working, you can bet on it. Though I'm distracting myself from my real story aaaaaand I need to come up with ideas for NaNoWriMo...>.<

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:51 am

Hey, no problem. I totally know what you mean about that kind of elation and the giggling that ensues. It's a wonderful feeling, no? One that I have only discovered with YWS. I'm glad I could share the joy.

And no, characters developing their own traits doesn't make you a bad writer. I have quite a few characters who have done that to me, sometimes in direct defiance of my wishes. Not that I claim myself as a great writer, but it happens to others as well. *le grin*

Juan de León paced back and forth
[quote Ethan Phillips crouched[/quote] and
Against the opposite wall leaned Stephen Winter

Eh? You mention wanting this all to be read in one sitting. So why reintroduce their last names? Since people know this is part two, they should already have read part one. Therefore, I don't really think it's necessary to put their last names in. We should already know who Juan, Ethan and Stephen are. You do it again later on when Juan and Stephen are walking around on Christmas Eve. We know who these guys are, so just leave it at first names, methinks.

20XX

Meh, can't say as I care for this. There is a timelessness about the story, yes, but to x out the date kind of feels like the old time novels where they would --- out the place names ("----shire and whatnot). Can't say as I care for it all that much...

The end... I dunno... It felt a little contrived, that he would happen to see a family, with children of about the same ages as Ethan and his sister would be, and the same kind of situation as that which Ethan had asked for.

Psh, I had no problem with the length. Which is strange, because normally I do, but I honestly didn't notice the length at all. It read really quickly, but with an insane amount of heart. I love it.

*sigh* This review feels so much less useful than my first. Oh well, I'm here and I'm reviewing and all is well, no?

Meh, I can't really say which story you should write first, since I think they both sound like great ideas. I love this idea of writing multiple short stories around a certain character. It really is fun to read and adds variety to the novel concept. We can focus on one character for an extended period of time, but can have lots of different things happen different ways. Kind of the idea behind my Mutts, but you have a central character, whereas mine's more of an idea.

*thumbs up* Marvelousness once more. You dazzle me. Keep up the excellent work!

~GryphonFledgling

Koi says...

Excellent ending, and I disagree with your opinion of Ethan. I found him to be in character for that type of situation and age [I should know a bit since it's similar to my home-life only I wouldn't curse my parents and I'm not nine :D]

And as to your ideas to the next story, the one about the family annihilator seems the most interesting to me [only because I find that sort of story interesting] but the one about the student is equally inticing.
Wait, that was no help was it :?

Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:02 am
Bickazer says...

Here's the rest of the story. Again, I apologize for length issues, but I feel chopping this story up into too many increments breaks up the flow in a detrimental way. I honestly do intend this to be read in a single sitting, despite its length...*sigh*

"Curseworker Juan" Part 2--

It had snowed, somewhere between the Saturday past and the Saturday present. The black, bare forms of the forest trees protruded like tired sentinels from a soft blanket of crisp white snow, so pristine and pure it seemed almost an endless sea.

An endless sea with several rows of tracks in it, however—one large, one medium-sized. And one small, like that of a child’s. All three tracks led up to the creaking wooden stairs leading to the rickety door of a dilapidated, abandoned old cabin.

Outside, the winter sun bathed the landscape in a cold, shadowless light, causing the surroundings to seem almost dream-like. Inside the abandoned cabin, however, the only light came from a fickly flickering, thin red candle, placed with a neat precision on the center of the floor.

Juan de León paced back and forth in front of the candle, his coat swishing around him, hands in his pockets, seemingly ignorant of the other two in the cabin with him. Ethan Phillips crouched on the floor, the candlelight throwing bizarre shadows over his face, his eyes wide with an undisguised hope and eagerness. Against the opposite wall leaned Stephen Winter, his arms folded, his expression unreadable.

Juan made one last circuit around the cabin, treading with infinite care to avoid loose floorboards, before spinning to a stop in front of the candle. Ethan took Juan's stop as a cue to raise his head just the slightest, and his throat convulsed, the excitement in his eyes intensifying. He opened his mouth to speak, but Juan silenced him by raising a gloved hand.

“Shush, Ethan.” The curseworker turned around to face the boy, imbuing his expression with as much severity as he could muster. Ethan felt silent without protest, his eyes now wide from awe. “Now—you do understand what you are asking me to do?”

“Yeah, yeah—of course!” squeaked Ethan, excitement causing his words to tremble. “I understand—I want you to curse my mom and my dad--”

From across the room, Stephen made a slight snort of derision. Juan blocked it out, though—he didn’t need Stephen’s approval for this. A faint feeling of pity trembled within the curseworker, but the rest of his deadened conscience forced the pity down. Now he had a job to do, and his personal feelings about said job meant nothing. He was Juan de León, scion of the de León line of curseworkers. He’d performed curses for mob bosses who wanted to get rid of the police, and curses for the police who wanted to capture the mob bosses. He’d cursed former boyfriends on the behalf of vapid actresses, and he’d cursed the same vapid actresses on the behalf of their exes. His was a profession of duplicity and constant manipulation; he had no reason, and no right, to feel guilt at performing a curse for a nine-year-old boy.

“Do you really, Ethan Phillips?” said Juan, his tone serious, meeting Ethan’s wide, hopeful eyes with an intent, severe gaze. “Once I perform this curse, you can never take it back. If you have any regrets, now is the time to voice them. I will even gladly provide a full refund to you, even though that’s not my usual policy.”

“N—no!” cried Ethan, and he shook his head like a wet dog, over and over again. “No—I know what I’m doing. I—I want you to do it. I know.”

“You understand, don’t you, kid?” piped up Stephen, his voice gruff. “You can’t take this back.”

“I know!” yelled Ethan, his face screwing up in frustration, and he even stamped hard on the musty floor. “I know I know I know! I want you to do this, Curseworker Juan, please—yesterday Mom grounded me from my ghost books ‘cause I wasn’t practicing singing—please—you gotta do this—”

Juan took a step back, startled by Ethan’s resolve. The kid—he was serious. This wasn’t a decision he’d made on a whim or caprice; he had truly thought this over, and he truly wanted to see it through. Well, that was his problem, then, not Juan’s…

“Very well, then.” Juan straightened up and adjusted the lapels of his coat. “I will fulfill your request, Ethan Phillips.”

Ethan’s eyes widened from surprise for a moment, but then he smiled, a happy, uncertain smile quivering from barely disguised anticipation—and perhaps a small bit of apprehension. It was too late for doubts, now, though. “Y—yeah! Okay! Okay, then—”

Juan took a deep breath and squared his shoulders, before looking straight ahead and meeting Stephen’s eyes. The taller man moved his head in a slow, solemn nod, his green-gold eyes glowing with a quiet seriousness and resolve. Juan returned Stephen’s nod with an acknowledging jerk of his own head, and then turned to face the flickering candle again. He cast a brief glance at Ethan out of the corner of his eyes, seeing that the anticipation shining on the boy’s face had yet to dissipate, and, summoning all his resolve, began the curse:

“I humbly petition the forces of time and nature, the governors of the universe and the natural world, to listen: On behalf of the complainant Ethan Maxwell Phillips, I ask that you alter your natural course in order to fulfill the complainant’s request.”

He paused, to take in a breath. The temperature in the already-frigid chamber felt as if had dropped a few degrees, and the silence was so immense Juan thought he could hear the faint dripping of water from the rotting walls. The curseworker then spoke again, feelings his words ring with the familiar power and certainty that always came with manipulating the natural process of time and space, for the sake of the petty revenge of a single human being…

“The grievances the complainant has filed are thus: That he lives in a household with parents who pay him little attention, that his parents constantly belittle and seek to undermine his career ambitions, that on the other hand his parents shower all their affection on his sister Emily Maria Phillips, fostering her ambitions while ignoring his. I ask that you take into consideration Ethan Phillips’s unfortunate, unloving conditions, and rectify them.”

The words were beginning to come together, the multiple links and chains—he could almost feel nature itself shuddering and twisting around him, as his words diverted the world’s natural, governing forces, to cease their current ambling flow and bend to his will. Power flowed through his words, imbuing the meaningless sounds with the strength to change the laws of the world itself.

“The request of the complainant, thusly, is simple: To divert his parents’ affections, much like a dam diverts the flow of a river. Stop up their love for his sister, and their desire for their children to become popular performers—send the flow of their love in Ethan Phillips’s direction, and change their interests to match his: That of paranormal research. The recipients of the curse shall be Ethan Maxwell Phillips’s father, Adam Gary Phillips, and his mother, Jennifer Anne Phillips, together. Let it affect none else save the two named above.”

Ethan’s eyes were wider than Juan had ever seen them, and sweat stood out in a sheen on his pale skin. He was trembling violently, but not out of fear, but an ill-disguised anticipation, shaking so much that he couldn’t even crouch anymore—he had fallen to his knees. Stephen, on the other side of the wall, had his arms folded and his hat pulled down low over his head, but Juan could feel the other’s eyes, green and gold and intent, boring into his face. The room itself seemed to shudder, but this was a mere hallucination, and one Juan had to keep at bay if he wanted to perform the curse with any power at all. He swallowed, hard, and straightened up, before continuing:

“The aforementioned curse shall be put into effect as of now—9:30 AM, December 21, 20XX—and shall last forevermore, or for as long as the recipients are alive. This curse has been wrought for the beneficiary, Ethan Maxwell Phillips, by I the curseworker, Juan Gabriel de León y Mendoza, and is not open to alteration or emendation of any sort. Challenges to the curse shall be met with appropriate aggression on my part.”

It was almost over—he had finished the main body of the curse. Juan tossed his head back, shaking his shaggy, suddenly sweat-soaked, dark hair out of his eyes, and straightened his shoulders. Now, all he had do was make the curse final, was to add his personal seal of power to it, to change the entire world of a poor Emily Phillips, all for the sake of her jealous older brother…

Before he spoke the words that would finalize the curse, Juan turned and fixed his gaze on Ethan Phillips for the last time. The little boy met his gaze with a determined, challenging light shining in his hazel eyes, his little mouth pressed into a fierce line of determination. For a moment that felt like forever, Juan and Ethan stared into each other’s eyes, dark brown into hazel, weary resignation into fierce determination. After an eternity, the moment ended, and Juan turned away from his scrutiny of Ethan to face the candle again. He paused again for a brief moment, feeling both Ethan and Stephen’s eyes burning into him in that second, before speaking the words that would make the curse reality.

“So let the will of the mage be done.”

The longest of pauses followed after the words faded away into the cold winter air. The silence was thunderous, burning into Juan’s ears, and he felt drained—all very familiar sensations to him. It wasn’t easy casting a curse, after all, not even one as basic as this one…the curseworker’s eyelids had grown very heavy, and he resisted the temptation to sink to the rotting floor and sleep.

And then—“Yes! Yes! Oh—thank you, Curseworker Juan, thank you so much thanks so much you’re the best!” The excited screech of a little boy burst like the cruel shriek of a dying bird through the silence, and before Juan could quite figure out what was happening, a pair of thin little arms had been thrown around his waist, and Ethan was burying his face into Juan’s stomach. Juan stood in stunned silence, staring down at the little boy hugging him, feeling in a strange way detached from what was happening. He’d never been hugged by one of his clients before…sure, plenty of the vapid actresses had kissed him and one had even tried flirting with him, but…

This was completely different, and he didn’t know what to do.

As quickly as it had happened, though, Ethan threw himself away from Juan, and then spun and did a brief, impromptu dance on the spot, laughing all the while. He looked happier than Juan had ever seen him. “Ha ha—thank you so much—thanks so much, Curseworker Juan—you’re the absolute bestha!”

Juan stared at Ethan in a state of numb surprise, his sluggish mind unable to quite comprehend just what was going on. By now, Stephen had peeled himself from the wall, and crossed the room to stand by Juan’s side. Juan only became aware of Stephen when the older man clapped him hard, on the shoulder.

“Ouch, what the—” said the curseworker, turning around.

“Excellent work, Juan,” said Stephen, a bitter and ironical smil on his face as he watched Ethan laughing and dancing like an idiot on the floor. “A job well done.”

“Yes, I suppose…” Juan raised a hand to rub his eyes. “I did what was asked of me. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“You never disappoint, Juan de León,” said Stephen, his tone quiet.

“Hey--! Hey, Curseworker Juan—” cried Ethan, raising his arms and waving them in the air to catch Juan’s attention. “Hey--!”

“Yes, what is it?” said Juan, managing a polite smile.

“Is it—I mean—when I get home—” stammered Ethan, but now the stammering came not from nervousness but excitement. “When I get home—um—will the curse’ve already worked? Will Mom and Dad be—”

“Yes,” said Juan, jerking his head in a solemn nod. “The curse is designed to take effect from the moment it was cast—and last forever. When you get home, your parents will have…will have…changed.”

“Sweet!” cried Ethan, enthused. He pumped a fist in the air, and whirled around and dashed to the door. It was almost incongruous to see him like this—Ethan Phillips, the boy who’d been so unhappy and anxious, now was cheerful and hyperactive as any ordinary child. “You’re the best, Curseworker Juan! I’m gonna write you a thank-you-card, ‘cause that’s polite—”

“Don’t tell anyone!” said Juan, a sudden sharpness entering his voice, fixing Ethan with a severe look. “Do you understand? You mustn’t tell anyone.”

“Don’t worry, Curseworker Juan, I won’t, I swear I won’t—” Ethan laughed again, and then pushed the door open with little regard for its current tenuous attachment to its hinges. “Bye, Curseworker Juan—Mr. Winter! And thank you, really, thank you so much—”

With that, Ethan was gone. The door was left hanging open, creating a rectangle of light in the otherwise dark cabin. Juan stared outside, after where his young client had left, feeling a faint breeze stir his hair and sting his face. Without Ethan’s loud, exuberant presence, the cabin felt quiet, almost…sepulchral. It seemed almost odd, now, that the boy would just saunter off and go home to parents who loved him now, and ignored his sister…

Juan shook his head to clear it. He didn’t notice Stephen walking over to his side, holding the candle that the breeze had now blown out. “Changed, huh? Nice euphemism there, Juan.”

“Yes, I know.” Juan let out an impatient sigh, and wrapped his arms around himself, shivering from a sudden cold—a cold that had nothing to do with the weather outside. “More like lobotomized. I don’t like doing this, changing people’s personalities completely. I’m better at subtler curses, curses that last for generations and change with the ages…you should keep that in mind next time, before you give me a new job.”

“That I will.” Stephen’s tone was light, but beneath that lightness burned a quiet seriousness. “What d’you think will happen now?”

“Oh, I don’t know.” Juan glanced out the open door again. “I imagine little Ethan Phillips will go home to parents who love ghost hunting and hate American Idol, and they’ll buy him all the ghost books he wants and fawn all over him while ignoring his sister. Just what he asked for. I never deliver less.”

“Yeah. That was what I was wondering. Poor little Emily Phillips. What’ll happen to her?” Juan turned to face Stephen, and saw that while a teasing smile played at the corner of his employer’s lips, the man’s green-gold eyes were creased in pain.

“I don’t know,” said Juan, his voice quiet, turning away from Stephen, discomfited by his employer’s pain. Stephen had always been even more callous than Juan, caring little for the people whose lives Juan ruined as a matter of daily basis. To see him like he was now…it bothered Juan more than anything else that had happened that morning.

“It’s Emily who’s the true victim here, Juan,” said Stephen, shaking his head in a sad, slow, resigned way. “Not the parents. Think about it…she was the darling of her family, and now…well, her parents will treat her like…it must be…I wouldn’t wish that fate on any child. She’s only six years old.”

“If she wants my services,” said Juan with a blunt, harsh, sarcastic laugh, striding to the door, “she can just write me a card. For her I’ll do it for just two quarters. She can use the rest of her allowance to buy sheet music.”

******************

The afternoon of the eve of Christmas Eve, a crowd surging through the main square of the city, laughing, singing, chatting in shrill happiness, arms laden with last-minute holiday presents, unknowing, unaware, ignorant. Two figures pushed their way through the crowd, one dark-haired, the lapels of his black wool coat pulled up; the other a sandy brunette, a battered green duffel coat enveloping his great figure. The two moved with a sense of purpose, of speed, of hurrying to an appointment they were about to miss.

“Are we going to make it in time?” demanded Juan de León, glancing around for a glimpse of the great clock towering over the square. “What time is it—”

“Stop worrying, Juan, we’ve still got half an hour at the least,” said Stephen Winter lazily, knocking his way through a gaggle of giggling teenage girls with graceful ease. The girls glared after him, but then resumed giggling when Juan pushed past them. A few reached out to grab at him, and Juan, annoyed, threw their hands off him.

“I’m surprised, Stephen,” said Juan, after the ordeal with the teenage girls was over. “I mean, you don’t seem like the kind of person who’d care about theater.”

“Ah, well, maybe I don’t,” said Stephen with a laugh, holding aloft a pair of two theater tickets reading A Christmas Carol: Matinee Showing. “But who can resist when they’re free?”

“You’re such a cheapskate, Stephen,” said Juan with a faint smile.

“Shut up,” said Stephen, though he didn’t sound offended at all. “Wasn’t it nice of Maury, buying us the tickets?”

Mauricia,” snapped Juan.

“Okay, okay, Mauricia,” said Stephen, rolling his eyes and throwing his arms in an gesture of exaggerated resignation up to the sky. “Mauricia María de León y Mendoza, tu hermana muy bonita--don't look at me like that, it's true. Anyway, I also heard on the internet that this production is one of the best there is. It’d better be; I hate that story. I mean, Mickey Mouse and Scrooge McDuck?”

“That’s the Disney version, Winter,” said Juan, elbowing Stephen between the ribs. “The original book was written by Charles Dickens.”

“Really? I thought it was Lewis Carroll,” said Stephen, after he’d finished cursing and rubbing his side.

“No, you idiot, Lewis Carroll was Alice in Wonderland—what, why’d you stop?”

Stephen merely turned a bit and cast Juan a sidelong glance, an almost devilish smirk playing at the corners of his lips. He held up a hand for Juan’s silence, and the curseworker, with a faint feeling of reluctance, fell silent, though he had no idea why Stephen had puttered to a sudden stop.

“Look,” said Stephen, the smirk not abating a single iota, and he lifted his hand and pointed directly ahead, straight through the crowd. Juan frowned, annoyed at Stephen’s obliqueness, but obeyed his employer and fixed his attention on where Stephen had indicated…

And took a step backwards, his heart giving a startled jolt.

A family of four wended their way through the crowd--they appeared to be headed to the theater like Juan and Stephen were. The father was mousy-haired, balding, and very unremarkable, dressed in a beige coat and plaid scarf, glasses perched on his nose. Beside him strode his wife, taller then him, her flaming red hair styled in an elobrate coif, her eyes flashing hazel and imperious. She tottered on high heels, and a fashionable Coach handbag dangled from her gloved hand.

Between the husband and wife was a little boy, a little boy who couldn’t be any older than ten, his hair as red as his mother’s and swept back neatly. His eyes, hazel behind their glasses, shone with undisguised excitement and joy, and he was clutching both his parents’ hands. Occasionally, the parents would pause to smile down at him, or pat him on the head, or laugh at the cheerful, rapid-fire comments he made.

But Juan’s attention was soon diverted from the laughing boy, to the other child, trailing after the rest of the family. The child was a girl, even younger than the boy, her red hair done in two pert braids and her eyes as hazel as her mother’s. She lagged after the parents and her brother, dragging her steps in a reluctant, resigned way, and bore such a despondent expression that Juan, despite himself, felt a faint twinge of pity for her.

The girl paused to scuff at the ground with her shoe; in a heartbeat the mother whirled around and shouted something to the girl. Unlike the kind tone she took with her son, her tone was sharp and unmistakably scolding, even though Juan couldn’t hear her exact words. The girl stared down at the ground for a moment before trudging up to her mother and father, dragging her feat again. When she'd caught up, her parents lost all interest in her and turned back around to fixate all their attention on her brother.

Just before the family disappeared into the crowds thronging through the square, the girl cast one last, despondent glance through behind her, her eyes wide with misery and the corners of her mouth folded down in an unhappy little frown. For a moment—but perhaps Juan was just imaging it—he almost thought her hazel eyes had met his, and he took another step backwards, startled. Just as quickly as he thought she’d seen him, however, the girl faded away into the crowd, along with her family. Juan tried to scan the surging multitude again, hoping for one last glance of the girl and the family, but it was like they had never been there in the first place. The great mass of the crowd had swallowed them alive.

Slowly, Juan’s breathing returned to normal, and he turned around to face Stephen. Stephen was still staring out in the distance, perhaps trying in vain to catch another glance of the family, but Juan knew Stephen wouldn’t see anything. After a long time of futile scanning, Stephen turned back to face Juan, a small, bitter smile on his face.

“Well then, Curseworker Juan,” he said. “Let’s go. We don’t want to be late for A Christmas Carol, do we?”

“No, of course not,” said Juan, his voice hushed and somber, sweeping his eyes around the square one last futile time, before turning back to Stephen. “Come on—we’ve got around fifteen minutes—”

“Right.” Stephen nodded with the grave dignity of an ancient soldier who had seen too much bloodshed and strife in his time. Then, together he and Juan set off through the crowd, blending in with the massive, chattering throng and eventually disappearing into its depths, just like the Phillips family had earlier. If anyone had been watching the curseworker and his employer, the observer would now be at a complete loss to find them. They’d just be two ordinary people in the crowd, out for a pleasant afternoon at the theater the day before Christmas Eve.

------

Pardon my espanol...I mean, Stephen's. I'm only a third-year Spanish student who has yet to really grasp the grammar, so if Stephen's little burst of Spanish was wrong, feel free to point it out.

Although I probably shouldn't be obsessing over a throwaway line of Spanish by a character who may or may not be well-versed in the language in the first place, and focusing more on my English prose. And yes, I think I've cemented Ethan as an unlikeable kid, but I am having trouble making him at least understandable--it's difficult developing his home situation solely through dialogue, and the dialogue of a not-very-eloquent nine-year-old too. >_> Critique away, folks.

Finally, I have two ideas in my head for the next "Curseworker Juan" story--one focusing on a college student whose vengeful, abusive ex-boyfriend has cursed her for vengeful, abusive, ex-boyfriend purposes (the story will largely be told from the student's POV); another about an accused family annihilator (look it up on Wikipedia) convinced of his own innocence, who wants Juan to curse either the guy he thinks did it, or the prosecution. Haven't decided, yet. The family annihilator story will be told from Juan's POV, like this one, and will involve Juan's sister Mauricia. I plan on writing both eventually, but your feedback will help me decide which one to write first. :)

Koi wrote a review...

Okay, I'm not sure why you wanted me to review since I see you've gotten two very good ones :D
But anywho, all-in-all I found this a very refreshing and well written story and personally I wish you would have posted everything all together.

I know, I know, there are rules, but I find it flowed really well and with it being cut off like that... well, all I know is that it's going to be hard for me to get back into the story :oops:
But with your obvious talent you'll probably pull it off easily.

Excellent story, and it may not be long but I hope it's helped a bit :)

Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:57 am
Bickazer says...

There's an unwritten YWS etiquette that stories should only be posted in increments of two thousand words or so. In the future, I suggest you stick to that rule. This is a critique of the first half of this post.

I realize that, but I tend to write very long things. And I felt it would be detrimental to cut the story into too many pieces--I feel this is a story that should actually only be read in one sitting. It'd probably do me well to work within a word limit, as the best thing I've ever written was done in a 1500 word limit. I ended up going slightly overboard, anyway, though.

One glaring fault I found with what I read is Ethan. I hate him. He whines and he snivels and on the whole he's poorly structured as a character. He's just not very realistic. I found myself wanting Juan to snap his glasses in half and then strangle the brat. And I'm not sure that's what you were going for. I think you were trying to paint the image of a slightly overeager, precoscious, but pitiable character. It didn't work out that way, though.

I actually wasn't trying very hard to make Ethan likeable, just understandable in a way (though if I failed at that, feel free to tell me too). I figured any child who wants to curse his parents is intrinsically not a good, nor a very likeable person. If I made him too unlikeable, though, I'll go back and fix him. And sorry for the stuttering; I have an odd fondness for hyphens and I suppose I went overboard when it came to Ethan. I'll cut out some of the stuttering, but it's intended to be a prominent feature of his personality.

If you could point out specific passages or lines concerning Ethan that grate you the wrong way, I'd appreciate that, as that would be a major boon in helping me fix him. Because I'm not entirely certain what lines make him unlikeable (it might be that my criteria for "likeable" differs from yours...in particular I seem to have a fondness for characters others would condemn as overly emo. Not that Ethan's emo).

I noticed you used a lot of adverbs, particularly as dialogue tags. These words will kill your story. They are the earmark of an immature writer (not that you are one). Adverbs are used when a writer doesn't feel confident with what he's just said. They justify. They're redundant. Your writing, especially your dialogue, should speak for itself. You should not attempt to describe a whole feeling or thought with a single word. Exercise your creativity and try to use similes and metaphors or just leave out '-ly' words completely.

You know, you're the first writer on this site to have called me on my adverb abuse, which is a good thing. :) I already know I abuse adverbs, and it's a habit of mine I'm working hard to change. Strangely my prose does get a little better (i.e. less adverb-laden )when I'm writing first-person, particularly stream-of-consciousness. But I realize first person doesn't work well for a story like this. However, I'm a bit leery on describing things too much, as I do not want to turn into another Christopher Paolini. Heaven forbid.

At the same time, I do feel some adverbs are necessary under certain circumstances (otherwise they wouldn't exist), but I know I tend to use them too much. In one story I'll never put on this site, I used FOUR adverbs in quick succession. *weeps...quietly*

This is a cliche. Try to describe his eyes in a more innovative way. Anyone can say he has green ooglers, but it takes a real writer to say that same idea in a new and unique fashion.

Er, what exactly is so cliche about this, pray tell? I've done my best to avoid the dreaded "orbs" comparison so rampant in fanfiction, but I wasn't aware that describing eyes like this was a cliche. Is it the "flecks of gold" part...? Because that's actually a vague sort of plot point. In the original novel, at the very least. (it identifies Stephen as a particularly magic-inclined person in his family, or something along those lines, but I didn't work it out before the project collapsed)

This is a poor excuse to insert a last name. People do not mention first and last names whilst speaking to one another, especially men.

You're right, it is. I probably should just drop Stephen's surname in the actual narrative rather than have Juan state it out loud. One note again is that the surname was a plot point in the novel again, so maybe I was thinking about that when I had Juan call him by it. (in the novel Stephen kind of...abandoned the family/disowned himself, so Juan would call him by his last name just to irritate him. That probably didn't come across well here, though).

Edit: I noticed I already inserted Stephen's surname with his introduction, so that can be excised without any pain.

I liked this. It reminds me of a letter to Santa. Nice parallelism here.

Glad you did. I was nervous about writing Ethan because I was afraid I was either making him too mature or too childish...writing children is difficult for me. Maybe that's part of why he comes across as so unlikeable.

Oh, this isn't vague at all. Like Juan would know what cabin in what forest in what city and on what continent. Don't worry about boring the reader with unimportant details like adresses and at least have Ethan give Juan a street name. Also, what kind of family these days live in cabins?

Actually...a few paragraphs down Stephen explains it. I figured that a nine-year-old wouldn't know much about addresses in the first place, and thus wouldn't include too much detail. Also I was thinking about the size of Ethan's handwriting and the size of the card; as a kid I figured he wrote big and there's not much room on the back of a postcard, so he kept the information he wrote vague. If that makes sense.

Granted, you used the adjective 'little', but I don't think a nine year old would have an adam's apple. That's something that boys get during their special years.

Thanks for that info; I'll keep it in mind. It would be enough to say that Ethan's throat was convulsing, anyhow (that was the image I was trying to convey).

Thank you for the critique; that was very thorough. ^^ In particular, I'm glad someone finally called me on my adverb abuse. It is something I'm trying to fix, but is very difficult. I struggle a lot with refining my prose (I suppose I shouldn't expect much, being a stupid teenager, but...) and am aware that not only do I overuse adverbs, I tend to be overly verbose and circumlocutious (like that). It's a daily challenge for me to streamline my writing. Again, why first-person has such appeal to me; it's easier to say more in fewer words in first person, at least for me.

And I'll keep in mind your comments on Ethan...it's odd because I consider character development one of my strong suits as a writer (usually to a detrimental effect--I come up with characters I like but no plot to go with them, and that's probably the reason why most of my projects end up folding). Children are difficult for me to write, however, and I feel much of that contributes to how annoying Ethan is as a character. It was also difficult developing his position (you know, his parents' dislike of him) solely from dialogue, but I had to do that to keep the focus of the story on Juan.

Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:26 am
Kylan wrote a review...

Bickazer -

I'll start off by saying that this was good and for the most part, I enjoyed myself quite a bit. Your writing style is sparse and dry-witted and lean, which is a good thing, particularly when you're writing a piece like this. I will definately come back for more in the future.

[The Whiners are the First to Go]

Some advice: cut back on the stuttering. Even though that may be how people talk in real life, it doesn't add anything to your story. In fact, I think the excess of dialect is detrimental.

I also have the feeling that Ethan will remain a prominent character. I hope you find some way to make him more appealing.

[Adverbly]

Trust me, on the whole they are unnecessary.

[Miscellaneous]

His eyes shone a brilliant shade of green, with flecks of gold within, and a rough layer of several days’ worth of stubble coated his chin.

“If you thought it was a joke, Stephen Winter, you wouldn’t have called me in the first place.”

“Dear Curseworker Juan,” read Juan out loud. “My name is Ethan. I am 9 years old. I want you to curse my mom and dad. Please meet me in the old cabin in the forest. Sincerly—I presume that would be sincerely—Ethan Phillips.”

Please meet me in the old cabin in the forest.

his little Adam’s apple bobbing ever-so-slightly

I shall be back for more.

-Kylan

Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:14 am
Bickazer says...

Thanks so much for the critique! :D I have no idea why, but for some reason while I was reading through your critique I just started...giggling insanely. I have no idea why, seriously. It wasn't as if you'd written anything particularly funny and I DEFINITELY wasn't mocking your critique, but...I just felt so elated and...like I was on cloud nine. THIS is the sort of experience I've never been able to have before--getting my work looked at by other writers, being told what to improve, so on and so forth. It just made me so happy. *sigh*

First of all, wow. This was incredible. I am looking forward to part two with great excitement. Seriously, this blew me away. Your characters and your writing were strong and the story was original. You did a great job of treating this urban fantasy like a serious piece of work. (far too often, I have read urban fantasies that just sound "off"... not so here)

Glad you liked it, I actually like this too. Which is exceptionally unusual for something I'VE written. Usually I end up hating what I write, but from start to finish I really enjoyed writing this, and rereading it I still like it as much as before. It probably avoided all these "urban fantasy cliches" because I've never read any urban fantasy before (unless the Bartimaeus Trilogy counts). So yeah. The oddest thing is is that the original novel the idea came from was set in a small midwestern town, but the midwinter theme was still there.

This was awkward and it took me two or three times reading it to actually understand the point you were trying to make. It also seems to me that pushing would be a likelier way to knock the door down than simply knocking. Also, it's an uber long sentence, so it could probably stand to being pared down.

Thank you so much; you're right, it is a rather hard sentence to comprehend. I'll be sure to change it (even though I did like the reference to little kids crying, but I understand what you're saying. It'll have to go for the sake of clarity. I know my prose can be somewhat unclear at times).

Meh, a bit of info-dumping. I would thing that Stephen does know, or at least has some idea of the difficulty of curseworking, along with its eccentricities and needs. I mean, he is an employer (I guess sort of an agent?) for one. Therefore, he probably also knows about this particular incident Juan is referring too. I get that you are trying to explain the dangers of curseworking, but I don't know if it's all that necessary. I mean, the reader will get the idea from Juan's rehearsing later on in the piece. It's just kind of unnecessary blah here in this dialogue.

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing on my second read-through of the story--I started wondering, doesn't Stephen know? But at the same time I just liked the little reference to Juan having voted against the politician that employed him; it's a sign of the true capriciousness of the nature of curseworking, or something like that. It probably could do with being excised, though.

I also was making an obscure stab at referencing the art of writing prose itself--how difficult it is sometimes to get something to mean what you WANT it to mean. Particularly when it comes to subject confusion (like, I suppose Juan phrased it so that the curse would effect a "him", but didn't make it clear in writing WHO the "him" was). Again, it's probably too obscure to be noticed, so yeah, excision excision.

I think this is the third time you mention Juan's dislike of the outdoors/weather in general. I'd cut it, since we already have the idea. This does have a different ring, since this is just saying he doesn't care about the weather (since he's inside and cozy), whereas the others were about how he really disliked it, but it reads almost the same way, and it feels like overkill on that particular character trait of Juan's.

Whoa, really? I--had--no--freaking--IDEA. No, I'm serious, I had no idea I'd mentioned Juan's dislike of the weather that many times. I honestly wasn't trying to give him a dislike of the outdoors (in fact, in the original novel he showed a practically devilish enjoyment in a raging snowstorm, but he was inside and the snowstorm outside, so...) Man...that's really unexpected, when characters acquire traits you didn't mean them to. O_o Does that mean I've a bad writer...?

I think the aforementioned sentence suffers a bit from a lack of clear phrasing than being unnecessary, though, since I think I was intending it to mean that the weather outside didn't bother Juan because he was inside, not that Juan just didn't like the weather. O_o Weird...

Again, thanks for the review! :) And I had seriously no idea why I started giggling, but I guess that's a good sign, eh? :D The rest of the story is coming soon~

Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:41 am
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...

A few critiques:

Juan raised his hand, halfway prepared to knock on the door—but cast one look on the door and, deciding that the neighborhood kids would cry if they found their cabin no longer had a door, settled for pushing, very gently, on it.

Possible rewrite: "Juan prepared to knock, but one look at the door persuaded him otherwise. The thing looked as though any impact would shatter it, but he had to get inside. He settled for pushing, very gently, and hoped that he wouldn't rip it off its hinges."

It's not quite in the same voice as your writing (you have quite the voice here, by the way... very nice) so you could fiddle with it. You may not even want to use that type of thing, but you do need to do something with that sentence to make the idea more obvious. As much as I love the reference to little kids crying, this sentence needs to be made clearer.

“It’s difficult—you couldn’t imagine. The words must be precise, exactly right…or you’ll get the wrong effect. Like that one politician who asked me to curse his opposing candidate…well, I happened to have voted for the other guy, so all I did was confuse a few subjects, and the curse landed on my client. Best of all, I could chalk it all up to a simple grammar error.”

Juan de León, however, cared little for the weather outside, as he was quite comfortable in his own little climate-controlled apartment.

Anyway, overall, I loved this. The writing was solid, the characters interesting and the entire situation extremely original. Very very nice. You should thank those rude idea demons. Well, no actually, don't do that. Then they think that they are needed and that gives them an ego and then you'll never hear the end of it.

*thumbs up* Absolutely marvelous. I look forward to part two!

~GryphonFledgling

Veni, vidi, scripsi ~ I came, I saw, I wrote
— steampowered