The Elephant Service

by Bellator

At 5:30, my alarm rings, and at 5:37 I find it in me to roll out of bed. I make two coffees and then climb carefully out of my window to watch the sun rise. The morning-chilled air soaks into my hoodie as I pick my way across the jutting brick roof of my garage. I sit there for a bit, my legs dangling over the precipice. It’s a bit of a wait- I miscalculated the time- but it’s worth it because this morning’s a stunner. The sun is a brilliant vermillion, and the air around it shimmers with gold and pale pink. Slowly, the sky shifts from night-dark to the blue of day, and I watch the stars slowly recede. I can feel the tentative sunlight begin to warm my face.

After a few seconds of soaking it in, my battered little flip phone starts to ring. I pick it up and your airy voice comes through my speaker. “Hello. This is the Elephant Service.” This is one of our inside jokes, but I don’t remember its origin. Something about pachyderms in the mail, I guess.

Two, please,” I answer. There is a brief pause, and then you come back on.

Please state the code word.”

Curmudgeon,” I answer without skipping a beat.

Bailey, darling, how I’ve missed you!” I smile. It’s been a while.

Hello, Amelia. So. How have you been?” I start our conversation with something simple.

Better.” I hear a little hesitation in your voice. “People have sort of gotten used to the fact that I’m here to stay.”

My legs swing back and forth, occasionally hitting the side of the garage. “...I haven’t.”

You sigh. “I know. I miss you.” We’re silent for a bit.

I made you a coffee,” I offer.

Lovely. I’m in dire need of caffeine.”

Wait a sec. I’ll try it for you.” I take sip. It’s a little weak, but still passable.

So? How do I like it?”

You love it. You think it’s the best coffee you’ve ever tasted.”

I always do.”

How’s the sunrise over at your place?”

Fantastic. There are some little wispy clouds, and the sky’s turning them pink. What are you wearing right now?”

If it wasn’t you, I would be offended by this question, but I know it’s just a part of our game. “A pair of gold lame hammer pants and a paper hospital gown with a purple and red-checked double-breasted waistcoat.”

How do you always manage to look so put-together? I just threw on my old Gregorian monk shroud.”

What can I say? It’s a talent. So… how are things in Sallesbury?”

Fine, I guess. There aren’t as many trees here.”

I would gladly give you some of mine, but they’re rather attached to their current spot.” You chuckle a little, and then we’re quiet for a bit.

Man, I really am enjoying this coffee,” you say. “You put your soul into it, I can tell.” I smile.

You have good taste, sir; It is truly one of my finer works. Actually, I have to go soon. I have schooling to attend, and you know how slow I am in the mornings.”

You put on a dramatic British accent, and I can almost imagine you sweeping around your room making theatrical hand gestures. “Believe me when I say, fair one, that there is no distance great enough to keep us apart for long.”

I adopt my own stage voice. “Oh glorious one, I eagerly await our next meet.” My voice returns to normal. “Hey, before I go, will you play me something?” I hear you set the phone down, and then a soft,  melancholy tune. I listen for a few minutes before hanging up.

It’s a few weeks before we talk again. Since the last call, we’ve had a few stilted text conversations, but never anything of length. You’re almost never up in the mornings anymore, but today I got through.

Amelia?”

Hello, this is the Elephant Service.”

Two, please.”

Please state the code word.”

Hazelnut.”

Salutations, Bailey!”

Amelia, love.”

What enrobes you this fine morning?”

I laugh affectedly. “Oh, this old thing? Just a scuba suit and my parrot-feather headdress.” I’m actually wearing jeans and a big grey sweater.

I’m afraid I best you this time. I just donned my new lime green poncho and John-Lennon inspired spectacles.” Knowing you, that might not be far from the truth.

Well, there is clearly no contest.” I lie down on the roof, smiling.

Bailey, baby, I’ve missed you.”

I know, it’s been forever and a day, hasn’t it?”

I’m afraid that’s my fault. I’ve been crazy busy lately. I joined drama club. Did you make me a coffee?”

I most certainly did. You joined drama club? That’s awesome!” I was a little worried about you when you moved. There’s something about you that tends to make people  little uncomfortable.

Yep. It’s a bit late in the year, but I’m thinking of going for a major role in the next production. At least, that’s what David wants me to do.”

Huh? “...Who’s David?”

Oh! Oh yeah. He’s my boyfriend.”

Oh.” Didn’t see that one coming.

You’re not mad, are you?”

I quickly compose myself. “Mad? Of course not! This is great! When did you guys get together?”

A few weeks ago. Oh, he’s great, Bailey. You’d love him.”

“Well, describe him! Paint a glorious watercolor David in my mind.” You ramble on for a few minutes about David, and I have to admit, he sounds wonderful. Eventually, we both have to go, so you play me a short reel on your piano, something you learned in music class. It’s flawlessly played (of course it is, it’s you), but a lot different from what I normally hear.

Two months go by with no communication except a short call on my birthday. Finally, I manage to get you at a time when you can talk.

Hello, this is the Elephant Service.”

Two, please.”

Please state the code word.” It’s been so long that I can’t remember what the code word was.

... Amelia, why don’t you ever call me anymore?” A pause.

I’ve just been so busy, darling. You know how it is.”

Actually, I don’t know how it is. My life has been composed of school, reading and talking to you. “Yeah, I know, you have drama club and David, but I wish you would make a little more effort.” I’ve been lonely without you.

Effort? Bailey, dear, I’m swamped! I have so much stuff to do. I can’t just sit around and wait for the phone like you do.”

What?”

Oh, I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant that I have, well, a life here. I have other priorities now.”

Are you saying I don’t have a life?” I try to keep my voice composed. Your coffee sits on the roof next to me, slowly getting cold.

God, Bailey, you’re not listening! I’m just saying that I’ve made commitments now. Maybe it’s time you make a few of your own.”

Bailey?”

Goodbye, Amelia.” I hang up.

A few minutes later, with my face buried in my hands, I realize that I didn’t hear your piano at all.

It’s been a few years since you’ve called me. My flip phone is long gone, and I’ve moved away from the town with the trees and my brick house with the sunrise. I used to get up in the morning and have that feeling, the one you get when you’ve lost something important, but I like to think that I’ve gotten over it now.

I have a Facebook account, and recently I thought to look you up. You have a new boyfriend now, and you once had a starring role in the Sallesbury High play. You’re a sophomore the University of Toronto.

I’ve joined a writing group, and we were assigned to write about someone that we miss. I immediately thought of you.

I’m not so lonely now. I have people who care about me, and I care about them, and I’ve found someone I want to share my life with, for the time being. It’s good, and maybe it’s better than what I had with you, but I guess I’ll always miss the Elephant Service, and the sound of your piano.

IncohesiveScribbles wrote a review...

Hello Bellator,

I absolutely loved that story! It was so sweet but sad at the same time, (It made me misty at the end-- Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone). There is honestly nothing I would change abut this story. It is a work of art. You created so much emotion in one piece, happiness, sadness, loneliness, and even playfulness. I love all the fun Amelia and Bailey had in their conversations at the beginning, the accents and "costumes" made me want to laugh.

Overall this is a great heart-wrenching story. My "favorite" line, (I say that lightheartedly because it's so sad), is "A few minutes later, with my face buried in my hands, I realize that I didn’t hear your piano at all." Thank you for this delightful story. And as always, keep writing.

-Incohesive Scribbles

Thu May 14, 2015 12:57 am
matthewmazer wrote a review...

I'm not sure if you wrote this as a personal thing or not but if it's not something you went through you did a great job describing some of the stuff you did. I have actually joined the
Navy so any relationship I entered into could be a long distance one and my now ex knew that and was fine with it. We actually had a communication plan set up and everything and knowing what our humor was like her and I would have been up to something very similar to this. I want to agree with Bellator too about the point made up with why Bailey was so hung up on her friendship with Amelia; it sounds like the two of them were a couple or that Bailee had feelings for Amelia. The symbols too were really great especially where you wrote

"Your coffee sits on the roof next to me, slowly getting cold."
it really emphasized the falling out the friendship had come to.

Bellator says...

Nothing like this has ever happened to me. I just decided to write in second person :) Thanks for the review!

Wed May 13, 2015 1:54 am
Astronaut says...

I'm still mad at Amelia. It's been like three weeks.

Wed May 13, 2015 12:04 am
Lavvie wrote a review...

Hi Bellator!

I really liked this. On many levels, I could relate to this so I would be surprised if no one else could. I have a soft spot for writing styles and that clear and concise and you have this, so well done.

I like the consistency of the symbols, like the Elephant Service, the coffee, the piano.... It's all very special.

However, I think you might do well to make the story a little deeper, if you know what I mean? Right now, it's really good, but I feel like it only just digs beneath the surface. With some really great symbols, those could be talked about more, referenced more, to make them just that little bit more important. When you have such rich, potential symbols, I definitely urge you to take advantage of that. How can you develop them a little more to add richness to your story? How might they change over time? At this point, their change feels quite sudden, like the piano - it's sort of a three step process how the symbol of piano becomes less and less loving, less committed to this relationship that has developed between the two characters. Perhaps you can throw in a bit more and make this process a bit more gradual. This also applies to the coffee.

Furthermore, although the end of the story is more expository and describes how Bailey and Amelia end up, leading very different lives, one still hanging on to the other, it might be nice to dig a little deeper into Bailey's character. Why is it that they are still nostalgic for old times? What is causing them to want to hang on to Amelia so much? Because the piece is short, I feel like you can definitely put some more energy into this without fatiguing it.

All in all, well done! I really liked this, even if it made me feel a little sad, thinking about the people that I miss in my life, that have sort of just vanished into thin air. It instills a great sense of longing in the reader. Perhaps you can further develop this with above suggestions. ;)

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'm around!

Thanks for the read,
Lav

Bellator says...

Thank you for reviewing! Yeah, I noticed that the piano thing was a little abrupt. I'll try to fix that.

I support the shrek message.
— MiniGem26