Morning Breaks

by BellaLuna

{Author's Note: This fanfic takes place in chapter three of New Moon on the morning of the day Edward leaves. The story was inspired by a beautifully sad piano piece called "Morning Breaks" by Craig Armstrong. Without it, this fanfic probably wouldn't exist.}

My mind was set; there was no turning back now.

I had to leave.

The very idea of separating myself from Bella was agonizingly painful, but my own suffering meant nothing in comparison Bella’s life. My first priority was keeping her safe, and as long as I allowed myself to be around her, as long I allowed myself to expose her to my world, my family, she would never be safe.

If I could have cried in that moment, I would have. I sensed the burning sensation behind my eyes, but no tears would come. “Oh Bella,” I whispered, kneeling beside her at the edge of her bed, “Oh my darling, I love you. I am so sorry.”

I shook with silent sobs, burying my face in her dark hair, holding her to me as tightly as I dared. I fought against my conscience in those final moments, begging it to create some alternative to this cursed situation. I couldn’t leave her, my sweet, warm, lovely Bella. I couldn’t leave my angel, the only light in my eternal darkness.

But I had to leave for she was an angel, and to condemn her for eternity to this hell…it was undeniably the most despicable, selfish, evil act I could imagine.

Bella began to stir, her delicate fingers curling around my arms. I extricated myself from her and was outside her window in a flash. I waited in the branches of the nearby tree, watching as she slowly sat up, blinking in muddled confusion at my absence. I could only hope she had not yet been aware enough to know that I’d been there just seconds before. I could see the hurt in her eyes, as well as another emotion…something I couldn’t put a name to. She looked so helpless, so terribly sad…I wanted nothing more than to return to her that instant, to hold her in my arms and never let go…

No. I had to go. I could not stay here another second, lest I be swayed in the one decision I needed most to follow through.

I had to keep her safe.

Ianthe wrote a review...

I liked that a lot, actually. Good Edward-centric fanfiction is really hard to find, and you did a great job portraying Edward and his feelings on leaving Bella.

However, I do have to agree that Edward saying 'darling' just seemed really weird and out of place. :?

Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:20 am
little miss military brat wrote a review...

I liked it.
Although, I have to agree, the "darling" was out of character for Edward. He seems too "upperclass" (for lack of better word) for that. Although the "I love you"s were totally in character. At least I think so.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:43 pm
Embroswyn15 says...

I loved it and thought that it was a great portrayal of Edward with the exception of the "darling" part. That is a little out of character. But overall, I think it showed Edward's state of mind the morning he left pretty well. Awesome job.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:44 pm
KJ wrote a review...

It seems like I ALWAYS have this problem with Edward-written pieces. It just doesn't FEEL like Edward. Of course, you're not Stephenie Meyer, so I can't blame you, but still.

Just... cut the "darling". Felt to corny for me. Am I being stupid? I don't know. But otherwise, I DID like this. I liked the part where Bella's fingers curled around his arm... that sounded like something that she would really do.

You know what would be a nice touch? If you had Bella mumble in her sleep...

Anyway, nice work. Keep writing.

Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon