z

Young Writers Society



Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Destiny Revival

by BellaLuna


Disclaimer: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon was created by Naoko Takeuchi-sensei, not me (unfortunately). I am merely borrowing her characters for the purpose of my story.

Episode One: Rebirth~*

For the longest time Serenity had floated, suspended by fragile strings in a place between life and death, past and future. Her memories were slipping away from her, like water slipping out of cupped hands; the more she tried to trap and hold onto her memories, the quicker they faded. She couldn’t remember her family, her friends, her home, her life…it was only a matter of time before she forgot her own name. She drifted through the darkness and dreamt of the life she’d forgotten; of palaces, fine gowns and parties…of friends whose names were a blur…of eyes the color of the ocean after a storm.

It was peaceful, drifting; like sleeping on a floating cloud in Heaven. Time held no meaning. Perhaps in this place, time did not even exist at all. So, Serenity let herself drift in the timeless nothingness.

Princess.

Her eyes snapped open; the moment they did, she was no longer drifting. She was falling, falling, falling; faster and faster through the darkness. But now, she realized, it wasn’t really darkness. In fact, everything was incredibly bright, foggy, and white; she’d fallen off her drifting cloud and was now hurtling through it. She opened her mouth to scream, but no sound came out. It seemed even her vocal cords had been paralyzed with fear. She squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for her body to impact the ground. Then, as suddenly as it had started, the hurtling stopped.

Serenity found herself lying face down on soft, spongy grass. Slowly, she pushed herself up to sit on her knees. All around her was white fog, stretching out for as far as she could see. Her eyes came to rest on a grey shadow off in the distance.

Princess.

Serenity gasped. It was the same voice she’d heard just moments before, though to her it seemed as if an eternity had passed. The calm, soothing voice appeared to be coming from the direction of the shadow. Serenity stood, willing her shaking legs to move forward. How long had it been since she’d last walked? How long had it been since she’d last opened her eyes? Millions of questions like these filled her head as she drew closer to the shadow.

Finally, she stood just a few feet away. The shadow was no longer a shadow, but now a tall woman; long, dark green hair falling down her back, kind, garnet eyes staring into Serenity’s own blue ones. The woman wore an odd outfit that a nagging recognition in the back of Serenity’s mind told her she’d seen before; short, pleated black skirt, white bodice, black sailor collar tied in front with a garnet colored bow.

“Princess,” the woman spoke, a warm, welcoming smile on her lips. “It has been so long.”

Serenity merely nodded. Had it been long? More importantly, what had been long?

“You don’t remember.” The woman said. It wasn’t a question.

“No.” Serenity said, testing her vocal cords. Her hands immediately flew to her throat. When she’d spoken, a scratching, burning pain had arisen. It must have been a long time since she’d last used her voice.

The woman looked at Serenity; a terrible look of sadness and…regret?

“Indeed it has been long.” She mused quietly, more to herself than to Serenity. “Serenity,” she said her voice louder, but gentle, “you and the others have been drifting in the time stream for nearly a thousand years now. Much has happened since your…” she paused, watching Serenity carefully.

Serenity waited.

The woman took a deep breath and continued, “Since your death.”

Serenity’s heart fluttered in her chest. So she was dead. But, no, that couldn’t be right. She had a heart beat, she was breathing, how could she possibly be…

“You are about to be reborn. That is why you are functioning like a living being.” The woman explained. It was eerie how this woman seemed to know what Serenity was thinking.

Serenity tried to speak again. “Reborn?” she asked, barely managing a whisper.

The woman nodded. “Your mother, Queen Selenity, wanted you and the others to be reborn when the time was right. She wanted to give all of you a chance at a better life.

You died too young, Serenity.”

The remorse was audible in her voice as she spoke the last sentence. Her eyes drifted down from Serenity’s face to the bodice of her dress. She stared for a short second, but then moved her eyes away, as if she saw something that disturbed her. Serenity frowned in confusion, and looked down at her bodice. She gasped, causing another burning flame of pain to scorch her throat.

The entire front of her bodice was stained a dark red, almost black. She put a shaking hand on the stain. Blood. Dried blood. She looked up at the woman in horror.

“You committed suicide, Princess.” The woman said solemnly, avoiding Serenity’s gaze.

“Why?” Serenity whispered hoarsely, the stricken look of horror frozen on her face.

The woman shook her head. “All will be revealed within the course of time. But now, you must leave this place. Your rebirthing is about to begin.”

Serenity felt like crying. She didn’t want to be reborn. She wanted answers. Why had she committed suicide? When? Who were “the others”? And why did the woman keep referring to her as ‘Princess’?

The woman smiled. “Don’t worry sweet Serenity. Your new life will be filled with happiness. You have nothing to be frightened of. Come now, your family is eagerly waiting for you to arrive.”

She walked closer, and touched her index finger to Serenity’s forehead. Serenity felt her eyes drift closed as she was enveloped in swirling darkness and warmth.

The last thing she heard was a whisper. “We will meet again someday, Princess Serenity.”

*~*~*~*~*

It is 12:01 AM on the 30th day of the sixth month of the year 1993. A young woman by the name of Ikuko Tsukino holds in her arms a newborn baby girl. Ikuko’s husband, Kenji, stands next to the hospital bed, beaming proudly at his wife and daughter. The baby opens her eyes, which are bright blue and stares at her mother, then at her father, and then at a figure in the corner of the room, unseen by anyone else. The figure has long, dark green hair, garnet eyes, and a kind smile.

*~*~*~*~*

It is 12:01 AM on the 30th day of the sixth month of the year 1993. A young boy is rushed to the emergency room, having just been rescued from a terrible car wreck. The gurney rushes past a room where a young couple gazes lovingly at their newborn daughter. Another turn and the gurney arrives in the emergency room. The boy suffers from a gash across his forehead and an apparent case of amnesia. He will wake up later that morning to find he has no parents, and he cannot remember his name.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 234 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 12

Donate
Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:25 pm
BellaLuna says...



Wow....this is very nicely written.
At first, at the description of the unknown character, I thought it might be Pluto. Dare I ask if that is true? She's the senshi of time, after all. (not sure on her eye color, though).


Thank you. :D And yes, the "unknown character" is indeed Sailor Pluto.

My one gripe about this is the last two paragraphs. You write them in a different characters. The first part of the story is written in 3rd person, I believe, and the last two are written as if in a newspaper article, which kinds of throws the feeling of mystery, at least to me.


Yeah, I changed it on purpose. For me, writing the last two paragraphs that way kind of made more real, like the reader is actually standing in the room with the characters. The main reason I wrote those two paragraphs is to lead into the main plot of the story.




User avatar
280 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 280

Donate
Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:12 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot wrote a review...



Wow....this is very nicely written.
At first, at the description of the unknown character, I thought it might be Pluto. Dare I ask if that is true? She's the senshi of time, after all. (not sure on her eye color, though).

For the longest time Serenity had floated, suspended by fragile strings in a place between life and death, past and future. Her memories were slipping away from her, like water slipping out of cupped hands; the more she tried to trap and hold onto her memories, the quicker they faded. She couldn’t remember her family, her friends, her home, her life…it was only a matter of time before she forgot her own name. She drifted through the darkness and dreamt of the life she’d forgotten; of palaces, fine gowns and parties…of friends whose names were a blur…of eyes the color of the ocean after a storm.


This is my favorite paragraph. You have a charming writing style.

If someone asks me to look for grammatical errors, I'll run and hide. So I'll just review the story, k? ^_^

I like the theory a lot, and how you described the "time not in time", if you understand it.

My one gripe about this is the last two paragraphs. You write them in a different characters. The first part of the story is written in 3rd person, I believe, and the last two are written as if in a newspaper article, which kinds of throws the feeling of mystery, at least to me.

Hope this helped :)

~Sumi





I'm officially making it my goal in life to become a roomba. I want to be little robot. I want knives taped to me. I want to be free.
— TheMulticoloredCyr