z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Tired Heros & Irritated Sidekicks

by Beccablue


“Arrgh! I’m so sick and tired of all this!” blurted Theo. He shoved the empty bowl away and leaned his forearm on his knee.

“‘All of ‘what? The rabbit stew?” Eileen asked. “Or do you mean living in the forest? I mean I guess it can get kind of old—“

“No, this!” exasperated Theo, gesturing to their campsite and forest canopy above.

Confused, Eileen asked, “You just gestured to all of this.”

“Yes!”

“I’m not following. What are we talking about again?”

“Urgh, just— I’m sick and tired of being the hero all the time.”

Eileen chuckled to herself, “What are you talking about? What’s so wrong with being the hero? Everybody wants to be the hero of their own story.” Eileen continued stirring her own bowl of broth.

“Not me!” interjected Theo, “I would rather live a quiet life, maybe farm or be a blacksmith, not gallivant through the forest at everyone's beck and call! It's tiring!”

Theo fell back on to the grass with his arms outstretched. He stared up at the few stars that peered through the foliage.

“So dramatic,” Eileen said under her breath. Theo ignored her, and rubbed his tired face with his hands.

Eileen sighed and stopped attending to the stew. Theo waited, listening intently to what she was doing next. He heard the clanging of the pots and tools in one of the sacks, rummaging to find something or reorganize their things. She often did that when things felt awkward.

The pine trees swayed gently above and the needles delicately landed around Theo. A shadow glided through the branches, so silent and undisturbed by their intrusion. Jealousy rushed through Theo’s face. An owl could do as it pleases, hunting at night, sleeping during the day with no where to be and little decisions to make. Theo wished that he could be just as free with no obligations or damsels in distress.

Eileen glanced back at him. With his curly auburn hair, chiseled jaw, and trimmed beard, he certainly had the look of a hero every story needed. She, however, always knew she would be the side character in any adventure, always trailing behind the protagonist in their search for destiny, love, or riches. He never hears her complain about it, so why should he? Sooner or later he will finish his hero journey, fall in love, settle down, and live out the rest of his life in pure bliss, reaping off his efforts! People would kill for that opportunity. Literally. Being a woman, she was fortunate enough to be even chosen to aid a protagonist on their quests.

Eileen furrowed her brows and shoved the remaining pots back into the sack. She should be the one complaining. After all, she’s the one taking care of the supplies, food, horses, and pulling his sorry-butt out of a tight spot when trouble stirs. She should be the one getting the glory, riches, and falling in love. Eileen glared at Theo and caught his eye.

“What?” he said.

“Nothing,” she muttered turning away.

Theo rolled back his head. “Oh, right, sorry,” he said peaking Eileen’s interest. “Thanks for dinner, it was good.”

Eileen rolled her eyes so hard she imagined herself punching him in his perfect teeth. “You’re welcome,” she answered coldly.

- - - - -  - - - - - -  - - - - - - -  - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - -

The cool morning air sent chills up Theo’s spine. He shivered in his sleep, snuggling further under his quilt. He heard the birds chirping nosily in the trees and felt warm breath on his cheek. He smiled and rolled onto his back. The smell of apples filled his senses as something brushed his hair back. “Stop,” he teased. “Not now, sweetheart, I’m tryin’ to sleep.”

“‘Sweetheart’? Who you calling ‘sweetheart’?”

Theo flashed his eyes open and stared straight into the mouth of his bay horse. Startled, Theo let out a stifled scream, “Dauntless! What the—?!”, and pushed him aside. Eileen laughed like a mocking bird, taking a pause from hoisting sacks onto her speckled grey horse, Deference.

“Stop it! It’s not funny!” He shouted, throwing off the quilt and getting up as fast as he could.

“‘Stop, sweetheart,’” Eileen mocked, “‘I’m trying to sleep.’ Who were you dreaming about this time, Felicity? Valeria?” Theo blushed as Eileen laughed some more He snatched up his quilt and started stuffing it in Dauntless’ saddle bag.

“Or was it Maria? She makes the most delicious sweet cakes —“

Theo glared at her as she continued rattling off names of young women he saved over the years, all who were more beautiful than the last.

“—Oh, and you can’t forget precious Ms. Xiao, she wouldn’t stop squeezing your cheeks, and your arms —“

“Eileen!”

“What?”

Theo rubbed his forehead. “Can we not list all the women we’ve encountered?”

Eileen smirked. “The women you’ve encountered, I was always the one in the background trying to fix your messes,” she corrected as she finished fastening the sacks.

“Okay now, don’t do that,” snapped Theo.

Eileen continued tightening Deference’s cinch. “Do what? It’s true—”

“You telling me that I’m always the one in the spot light.” Theo threw the reigns over Dauntless’s head. “You had your fair share of ‘run-ins’ with plenty of handsome men this past year—“

“Two and a half.”

“Come again?”

“It’s been two and a half years.”

Theo furrowed his eyebrows. “Has it really been that long?”

Eileen looked back at Theo. “That we’ve been working together? Yeah,” she added, “how could you forget?”

Theo darted his eyes around the empty campsite, attempting to avoid Eileen’s disgusted stare with no avail. “I didn’t forget,” he apologized, “I’ve just had other sidekicks, plus, time flies when you’re storming castles and saving villages.” Theo crossed his arms and stepped closer. “Look. All I’m saying is that I don’t see why you should be complaining about being the sidekick. Besides, it’s a lot of work being in the public eye all the time, it gets old real quick.”

“—and those ‘men’ you’re talking about,” interjected Eileen, “are either young robbers or old merchants. Do you have any idea what a woman wants?”

Theo shrugged. “A hero?”

Eileen sighed and shook her head. “Forget it. Let’s get going, we need to get to Rattlesnake Point by dusk if we are to cut off the Red Wolves.” Eileen swung up on top of Deference and looked down at her hands for a moment before kindly teasing, “are you coming, sweetheart?”

Theo caught a glimpse of her sly smile, his eyes softened and took a deep breath. “Right behind you, ah … water lily.”

Eileen laughed softly. She knew Theo wouldn’t understand and there was no point of him digging himself deeper, they needed to be ready for the coming battle. Besides, this story is supposed to be about the hero, right?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:25 pm
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi Beccablue,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

A funny story that comes across very well because of the dynamic of Theo and Eileen. You can clearly see how fed up Theo is with his life and how fed up Eileen is with him and his complaining.

I don't know to what extent you wanted to bring humour into the text, but the short nuances of light sarcasm fit very well. There were also a few sentences that made me smile, precisely because you wrote them in a very funny way.

In general, I also find the text well written. The mixture of dialogues and the narrative text can be rendered nicely. It feels like jumping right into the action, like the short introduction to a bigger adventure.

A shadow of an owl glided through the branches, so silent and undisturbed by their intrusion.


The only flaw I noticed is this sentence. I would take out the "of an owl", because two sentences later you reveal what animal it is. If you leave it as "A shadow glided through etc" it also seems more fluid. I also assume that Theo doesn't know in the first sentence what kind of bird flew over him.

Another point would also be the title, because I couldn't really read out what could be meant by it, but I can't think of anything better now.

What pleases me most is how the ending can be so open-ended and yet so finished. On the one hand you think the story has really reached its end, but at the same time it gives you hope that there could be more to come, precisely because Theo keeps complaining about adventures.
You have succeeded in your attempt to write a short humorous story.

Mailice.




Beccablue says...


Thank you for catching that small detail about the owl, it totally makes sense to say, "A shadow glided thorough the trees...". I'm glad you liked it, I'm experimenting with adding more humour into my work. I didn't want to be too cliche. Thanks again!



User avatar
4102 Reviews


Points: 254163
Reviews: 4102

Donate
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:02 pm
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: This was a really fun little story to read. Its got a ton of potential to be a really fun story I think and this makes for a pretty good starting chapter for the most part.

Anyway let's get right to it,

“Arrgh! I’m so sick and tired of all this!” Theo exasperated. He shoved the empty bowl away and leaned his forearm on his knee.

“‘All of ‘what? The rabbit stew?” Eileen asked. “Or do you mean living in the forest? I mean I guess it can get kind of old—“


Ooooh some really fun sounding banter there to start things off....that's exciting, I always love a story with some nice banter in it. Excited to see how this turns out so lets see...

“No, this!” exasperated Theo, gesturing to their campsite and forest canopy above.

Confused, Eileen asked, “You just gestured to all of this.”


This is already making me laugh far too hard so I'd say this has been a great start so far. Bit vague but that's fine especially if this is intended to be prology....not sure if that's a word but I'm using it.

“Yes!”

“I’m not following. What are we talking about again?”

“Urgh, just— I’m sick and tired of being the hero all the time.”


OOooh...is that the 4th wall break that this title is based on? This seems like a really fun twist on the whole hero story arc.

Eileen chuckled to herself, “What are you talking about? What’s so wrong with being the hero? Everybody wants to be the hero of their own story.” Eileen continued stirring her own bowl of broth.

“Not me!” interjected Theo, “I would rather live a quiet life, maybe farm or be a blacksmith, not gallivanting through the forest, answering everyones becking call! It’s tiring!”


Oooh...I'm loving this idea so far.

Theo fell back on to the grass with his arms outstretched. He stared up at the few stars that peered through the foliage.

“So dramatic,” Eileen said under her breath. Theo ignored her, and rubbed his tired face with his hands.


Somebody getting called out for being a bit of drama queen I see.

Eileen sighed and stopped attending to the stew. Theo waited, listening intently to what she was doing next. He heard the clanging of the pots and tools in one of the sacks, rummaging to find something or reorganize their things. She often did that when things felt awkward.

The pine trees swayed gently above and the needles delicately landed around Theo. A shadow of an owl glided through the branches, so silent and undisturbed by their intrusion. Jealousy rushed through Theo’s face. An owl could do as it pleases, hunting at night, sleeping during the day with no where to be and little decisions to make. Theo wished that he could be just as free with no obligations or damsels in distress.


Hmm...alright...a bit of peaceful description trickled in there, that's interesting...sort of changes the whole flow, I think its actually a bit too sudden of a change honestly. This is a little jarring to read because of that.

Eileen glanced back at him. With his curly auburn hair, chiseled jaw, and trimmed beard, he certainly had the look of a hero every story needed. She, however, always knew she would be the side character in any adventure, always trailing behind the protagonist in their search for destiny, love, or riches. He never hears her complain about it, so why should he? Sooner or later he will finish his hero journey, fall in love, settle down, and live out the rest of his life in pure bliss, reaping off his efforts! People would kill for that opportunity. Literally. She was fortunate enough to be the few chosen to aid every protagonist in their quests.


Well there's all the usual cliches laid out there...appreciate that little nod there.

Eileen furrowed her brows and shoved the remaining pots back into the sack. She should be the one complaining. After all, she’s the one taking care of the supplies, food, horses, and pulling his sorry-butt out of a tight spot when trouble stirs. She should be the one getting the glory, riches, and falling in love. Eileen glared at Theo and caught his eye.


Aaaand ouch...harsh but very much valid point...this is back to being really good again.

“What?” he said.

“Nothing,” she muttered turning away.

Theo rolled back his head. “Oh, right, sorry,” he said peaking Eileen’s interest. “Thanks for dinner, it was good.”

Eileen rolled her eyes so hard she imagined herself punching him in his perfect teeth. “You’re welcome,” she answered coldly.


Well that is set to be quite a nice explosion down the line. I like the place this ends here and for the most part I think it's done really well. I'd certainly read a story based on this.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall this was quite fun to read. Its got a couple of issues but it was pretty good for the most part. Anyways that's all I gotta say for now.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




Beccablue says...


Thanks for the pointers and opinions, really appreciate it! I want to keep that humorous batter energy going so thanks for pointing it out. I'm glad you liked the story!



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 18
Reviews: 93

Donate
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:44 pm
MapleWay wrote a review...



Hey there! MapleWay here with a review!

This was a cool little piece! Very grabbing and humorous! Before I start the review I wanted to say that you should definitely continue this into a novel or even a longer story! There were so many reasons I liked this story so I am going to share some of them in my review!

“Urgh, just— I’m sick and tired of being the hero all the time.”


Here we learn a bit about Theo's stubborn and prone to complain personality. It is very gripping and catches the attention of the reader. it does this because as Eileen says, "Most people like being the hero." It makes his personality stand out. He is not just your average joe. He is your unaverage Theo.

Eileen glanced back at him. With his curly auburn hair, chiseled jaw, and trimmed beard, he certainly had the look of a hero every story needed.


I really liked how you developed his look. In many stories, it is hard to imagine what the writer is trying to show but here I could see an absolutely clear picture in my head! Well done!

She should be the one complaining. After all, she’s the one taking care of the supplies, food, horses, and pulling his sorry-butt out of a tight spot when trouble stirs. She should be the one getting the glory, riches, and falling in love.


Here we begin to learn more about Eileen and her backstory. The way she complains in her head makes me think she might be a bit of an introvert while on the other hand, Theo is more of an outrovert. Because they are both complaining but Eileen inside her head and Theo outside. It seems that Eileen is pretty much working everything while Theo not so much. I also like how relatable these characters really are! I feel like I can easily relate to both!

Theo rolled back his head. “Oh, right, sorry,” he said peaking Eileen’s interest. “Thanks for dinner, it was good.”

Eileen rolled her eyes so hard she imagined herself punching him in his perfect teeth. “You’re welcome,” she answered coldly.


Great ending! t finished things off very well with a lot of humor too! I found myself giggling a little when I read this! Also when you said "peaking I think you meant to say "piquing.

Anyways great story I definitely hope you continue it because for some weird reason this is one of the few novels that have really grabbed me. So if you do decide t continue it make sure to tag me!

-MapleWay




Beccablue says...


Ah, yes, thank you for that little catch [piquing]! Thank you for the encouragement, I am interested in writing another scene with these two. I'm glad my characters have some personality to them, and that it is kind of humorous. I'm trying it out! Thanks again, you are really encouraging!



MapleWay says...


No problem! Thanks for writing it!



User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 22538
Reviews: 245

Donate
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:34 am
Spearmint wrote a review...



Ooh this was super fun to read and I think you should definitely try running with it! The beginning really hooked me in with the dialogue and Theo complaining about being the hero. I love it when stories play with or overturn stereotypes, and this seems to be doing that! It's interesting to read about how Theo thinks being a hero is too much work, and Eileen is quite correct about what it's like to be a sidekick XD Okay, on to some suggestions:

“Arrgh! I’m so sick and tired of all this!” Theo exasperated.

Hmm I don't think I've ever heard of the word "exasperated" being used like this before. It's usually like, "the buzzing fly exasperated her" or "he was exasperated with the slow-moving traffic." Perhaps a word like "ranted" or "complained" might work better? Of course, this might just be me, and it's a super tiny thing! ^-^

“Or do you mean living in the forest? I mean I guess it can get kind of old—“

It's awesome how you were able to incorporate information about the setting into a line of dialogue! It makes reading the story so much more fun while still allowing the reader to visualize where the characters are. Great job!
Oh, and I've also gotta compliment your knowledge of dialogue formatting. It can often be pretty tricky to get it right, but I think you've used the hyphen and quotation marks correctly here! Nice! :D (and I say "I think" because I'm not a grammar expert and I might be wrong... but I'm like 90% sure you got it right xD)

“I would rather live a quiet life, maybe farm or be a blacksmith, not gallivanting through the forest, answering everyones becking call! It’s tiring!”

Aww poor Theo, being forced to save the day cx But I do see his point-- it probably is a lot of work to be a hero :p
And I understand what you've written here, but I also feel like some parts could be worded a little more clearly? Sorry, I know you said this is just an experiment, but I'll still keep this part in case it helps at all!
Here's how I might rewrite this line of dialogue: "I want to live a quiet life, maybe farm or be a blacksmith, not gallivant through the forest at everyone's beck and call! It's tiring!"
Or perhaps: "I'd rather live a quite life, maybe farm or be a blacksmith, instead of gallivanting through the forest answering every single call for help! It's tiring!"
These changes are totally optional of course, and feel free to ignore them if they aren't helpful! ^-^

She, however, always knew she would be the side character in any adventure, always trailing behind the protagonist in their search for destiny, love, or riches.

Hmm... the fact that the reader knows this though... perhaps Eileen will get to be the protagonist in her own story? In this story at least, perhaps... ;)

She was fortunate enough to be the few chosen to aid every protagonist in their quests.

I was a little confused by this part. Does this mean that she helps out multiple protagonists? The word "every" kind of throws me off :p
On a side note, this line makes me wonder how sidekicks are chosen, and who the other few might be... Lots of interesting ideas in this story! c:

She should be the one complaining. After all, she’s the one taking care of the supplies, food, horses, and pulling his sorry-butt out of a tight spot when trouble stirs.

Ahaha I'm loving Eileen's character! Yes, Theo definitely has no right to complain when it seems like Eileen's doing all the real work. XD And I'd totally want to read about a time when Eileen pulled Theo out of a tight spot; I feel like it'd make an awesome around-the-campfire kind of story! :]

Oh, and as for title ideas... maybe something like "To be a Sidekick" or "When Heroes Get Tired"? Sorry those are pretty bad XD But maybe if you keep writing and figuring out where you want this story to go, you'll be able to come up with better titles! Overall I really enjoyed reading this and I hope you continue with this idea!! :D




Beccablue says...


Thank you for the review! I made the appropriate changes, and thank you for helping me with the awkward sentences! I tend to think faster than I can type. Everything sounds better in my head, right? Thanks for the title options too!



Spearmint says...


Oh yeah, I can totally relate to thinking faster than you can type. Sometimes typing just seems so slow! But better than handwriting it all out, I guess :p
And no problem for the review and title ideas, it was an absolute pleasure to read this!! ^-^




I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
— Thomas Edison