z

Young Writers Society



A really rough start... But would you read it if refined.

by Beauties_Prototype


Hey,

This is just a really rough beginning to a story I have had on my mind for a long time. See I read a lot of books on city girls going to the country but rarely one of a country girl (Like myself) adjusting to the big city. So here is the start of the tale. Just looking for some criticism, be it harsh or gentle. I just want to know if you think this would catch a reader’s attention.

Please keep in mind im only 15, only started writing about a year ago and this is the first piece I have really put to others to read. Ohh and it’s a rough draft of a beginning I wrote today between formal dress shopping…

Scuse spelling or grammar errors.

Yup… Here goes…

I knew the moment I stepped out of my fathers Ute onto the cold cement footpath that I was never going to fit into the city. Looking up at the buildings I felt although I was in the scene of some movie, the huge cement structure defied gravity in every manner, and some office block’s you couldn’t even see the tops of. I soon figured out why they were called sky scrapers. I just stood looking about in utter awe of the magnificent creations though feeling rather out of place dressed in dusty jeans, the only clean pink blouse I had and a pair of boots. Watching the women walk past I tried desperately to form an idea of how they could possibly walk in heels so tall they were practically on their tip toes. For a moment it was almost dreamlike. Like I wasn’t really there, just watching, like I was invisible. Yet I soon found this wasn’t the case as Maggot, my dog, leapt out of the car, and did her business on the side walk. I stared at the mutt in utter disbelief for a moment but her expression said it all, ‘What? I had to go’ looking up red cheeked at the city dwellers I gave a nervous smile towards the people who looked utterly terrified to see such an imperfection on their lifeless walkway.

I soon understood, not only that I wouldn’t fit in. I would not be the invisible kind of reject. I would be the kind of reject drawing attention from all sorts of places. And with Maggots help I could possibly be the center of much taunting as she lacked the common dignity shared throughout canines in the city, and no amount of training could possibly help the kelpie-border collie cross. After all you can take the dog away from the country but never take the country away from the dog. Walking to the back of the Ute I picked up my huge bag containing my entire wardrobe, consisting mainly of worn, sun bleached something’s or others and well sadly I only had one pair of shoes. The pair of shoes that adorned my feet. I left my dad with his car, as it would be a bitter loss to him. Having to sell his treasured piece of machinery to trade it in for a small city car. It was truly like selling his soul to the devil as he had sworn he wouldn’t. Yet the city traffic was not ideal for a large rusty old Ute that was well past its day and age.

Walking through the lobby of our apartment building, yes I was going from 1000’s of acres to simply a small unit block, and I almost tiptoed up to reception in fear of making a sound. The petite woman behind the counter was as cold looking as the rest of the city. In a stone grey suit, dark hair pulled back so tight it looked although it was plastic, and tiny half-moon glasses that allowed her to look over them at you with her shrewd green eyes she seemed to be just like one of the skyscrapers. Strong and rigid. I just looked at her for a moment, and she looked back. It was one of the most awkward moments in my life I swear. Then her voice cut through the air, like razors to my ears. “Yeeees?” she said it slowly, accentuating the E, but not in the common country drawl I was used to, more high pitched, like her nose had been blocked with some foreign object. I looked at her, again she looked back then I began to stutter, “Ohh well, umm, see” it was then she decided I was a complete and utter moron. After all, a country girl, with untouched blonde hair and niave blue eyes, well what could she possibly know about life and live in the city? Nothing. Exactly. “Im Kassandra” I finally managed to stutter after a good space of time. “Kassandra Timbleton”. Her gaze almost singed my eyebrows off my very face as I looked at her before one of the keys to my apartment; the other obviously for my father was thrown towards me.

I was just about to leave when I saw a look of absolute horror cross the woman’s face. I turned and watched as Maggot ambled through the door, unhasped by the utter cleanliness of the place and just waltzed on up to me with a relaxed look, her tail wagging softly. I was up the stairs to the apartment three at a time in moments. And Maggot bounced after not entirely understanding the game but loving it all the same. As unrefined as Maggot was she was a diamond in the rough, lazy in all ways possible yet energetic when needed. And it was a bargain with my father that would allow me to keep the slightly undersized Border collie cross in the small apartment. See I had to walk her at least 3 solid hours a day. Rain hail or shine, be it before or after school. Which was an agreement I was all to willing to take up to keep my beloved pet.

Struggling with the key I pushed the door to our apartment open and was slightly shocked, the room was so... Black and white. Everything, each and every decoration on the wall was either black or white. And I soon realised finding maggot in the mimes wonderland would be tricky. Especially because around bath time Maggot had the insane ability to suddenly become missing. I stepped into the room and before I could even tell Maggot not to get on the furniture she was spread out along the couch like she owned the place. Smirking lightly I left her there and went to find my room. The apartment was a lot more spacious than I had imagined, with a decent sized living room, two bedrooms (one being my fathers the other my own), a kitchen and a balcony. When I stepped into my room and began to unpack my few possessions it was from then I knew life would never be the same again.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
161 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 161

Donate
Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:45 pm
Cassandra says...



Aye. People certainly do mature as they get older, and they also write about different things. But is their writing really better because of that? Is it not just in the eye of the beholder which is better? That's like saying an epic novel is always better than a short story. And that's just stereotyping, isn't it? I think I can safely say that many a member here on YWS could construct a better story than a great number of adults who don't work on their writing. Practice does not make perfect, but you can make it come pretty darn close. :D

As a person starts to realise there is more to life than just fantasy, they can break the sometimes naive opinion on the world that people my age can have.


I'm fourteen years old, and I do not write fantasy. Of the two short stories I have posted on this site, one is about suicide and the other is about inner city gangs. Fantasy? I think not. ;)

And perhaps S.E Hitons work, as again I have never read any, is so deeply respected because of the dreamlike, fairytale like opinion on the world.


S. E. Hinton's book, The Outsiders, is about two different social groups, almost equivalent to gangs, in the 1960's. Hardly dreamlike or in any way resembling a fairytale. Just a real author, writing about real things. Age has nothing to do with it.

If you love to write and strive to make your work better, if you ask others to help you out with finding mistakes, as you're doing now, there's no reason why you can't do great things, no matter what age.

And I seriously recommend The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton to you. We had to read it for school (I've read it twice in school, because I moved to a new school) and I enjoyed it immensely both times. This book is better than some books that are written by people three times the author's age.

Good luck,
Cassandra




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:26 pm
~Z~ wrote a review...



I like it, its a nice start to a story which I can see becoming an effective and well written chronicle on a girls life and how she adapts to the new world she faces. I guess the next step would be to get her some friends of some sort, school is the most obvious place to go next, although, for all I know, she could be home taught.

One thing I'd like to say though, if you are going to do a 'this is a girls life based on the challenges she faces' kind of story, (and i'm not saying its a bad thing, its all well and good) try and inject a little originality into it. I'm not saying that you wern't going to, (or that you haven't) but be mindful of the huge amount of 'basic' girl stories that swamp the market these days. Believe me, I know, I have a younger sister.

What you've written so far though is fine, I found barely an error and it kept me intrested through the duration. Keep up the good work. Also, I'd like to agree on your point of life experiance, however, I also think this is what makes a child's work unique. Its written almost purely on 2 things. 1. Intelligence. A kid who can write a good story is almost always an intelligent person. They usually have a good understanding of the world. And 2. Imagination. This is the thing that can single out a child's work. Instead of relying on experiance they draw from what they imagine what happens. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Either way, that's my opinion :D




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 4

Donate
Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:24 pm



Hmm I dont know that the comment is entirely true;

I really think age has nothing to do with writing. You may get better over time, but it's not really because you get older, so much as because you practice writing.

Take S.E. Hinton, for example. She wrote The Outisders when she was, what, sixteen? It was the first novel, I believe, that she had ever written. And it turned out to be one of her most celebrated!


As I believe a talented writer at a young age does not just progress in writing skills, they go through life and experience more. They become more aware of peoples reactions in certain situations. People grow and as they do this, their writing can mature. As a person starts to realise there is more to life than just fantasy, they can break the sometimes naive opinion on the world that people my age can have. Now im not saying that each and every 15 year old is naive and sheltered just a group that I myself are a part of.

So In stating my age I wanted to clear the fact I am not a woman who has been writing for a good length of time, and as a child as such I have not experienced the life ups and downs a writer with my same ability at age 40 has. So the level of maturity is bound to be greatly different. I realise my writing has a certain juvenille edge to it and as I age no doubt it could possibly fade.

Also by mentioning S.E Hinton you are comparing my level of writing to one much higher. S.E Hinton im guessing, as I have never read any of her work and has a supreme talent towards creating storys, characters, plots and comparrison towards one who decided they would dedicate their entire life towards writing isnt completely fair. And perhaps S.E Hitons work, as again I have never read any, is so deeply respected because of the dreamlike, fairytale like opinion on the world.

Now Im not usually one to disrespect critism but I cannot possibly leave those statements unchallenged. Must be the debater coming out in me.

Please note I do not mean and offence and have no intention of trying to make a fool out of anyone.

I just wanted my reasoning known.




User avatar
161 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 161

Donate
Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:05 am
Cassandra wrote a review...



SlickJimmy wrote:
Beauties_Prototype wrote:
Please keep in mind im only 15,


Please don't say that again. Most here will think this being your first writing post is more important than your age.


Exactly! I really think age has nothing to do with writing. You may get better over time, but it's not really because you get older, so much as because you practice writing.

Take S.E. Hinton, for example. She wrote The Outisders when she was, what, sixteen? It was the first novel, I believe, that she had ever written. And it turned out to be one of her most celebrated!

You seem to have a good idea of how to balance description; not so much that people (besides Jimmy) lose interest, but not so little that we can't picture what's going on.

I would say definitely do a proof read of this. Take a look at run-on sentences and stick some commas in. Usually the best way to do this is to read your work aloud, and whenever you naturally pause in your reading, place a comma. Read it aloud again and see if it sounds right. Because really, a comma is indicating a small rest, a period a longer one, right?

I could go into this big grammar rant, but trust me, you don't want that. :D Just PM me or post here if you have any questions or want any other suggestions.

Congratulations on your first piece posted! *Throws confetti*




User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 76

Donate
Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:49 pm
deleted wrote a review...



Since this is a bit long for my attention span, I will say the first three paragraphs were really good. But no critique since I didnt finish.

But I will comment on the following

Beauties_Prototype wrote:
Please keep in mind im only 15,


Please don't say that again. Most here will think this being your first writing post is more important than your age.

And others wont care either way, unfortunately.

Let me know if anyone gives you trouble.

-slick




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 16

Donate
Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:23 pm
worgs wrote a review...



Hey! This is REALLY REALLY good! I can't believe you're only 15 - you definitely have your own voice in your fiction, which sometimes takes so so long to establish. Like you said you need to give it some time to read through it, change a couple of words round and that kind of basic editng stuff, but it's a GREAT start. I found it really funny and interesting, and would like to read more! Worgs

Ps. Don't worry about spelling etc I'm 22 and have a job in editing but my spelling and stuff is awful! Thank God for spellcheck.





If you want something badly, you just gotta believe it's gonna work out.
— Andy, Parks & Rec