The Woman of the Sea

by Basil

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

I love the ocean, how it swells and surges like a sleeping beast, how it sparkles in the sunlight like a bed of diamonds, how the waves rear into the air like wild horses, the crest curling over to crash onto the bronze sand, the crystal-white foam racing up the beach in hopes of reaching the dunes in the distance. I love the coolness of the water as I dive below the surface, the weightlessness I feel as I hang suspended over the reef below, how my hair floats around my face in golden strands, glowing in the warm sunlight. I love the sharks that swim up to me, curiosity in their black eyes that burn with life, their mouths ajar as they taste the water, their tails swaying through the current lazily, propelling their silvery bodies forward. What I love most, however, is the satisfaction I get when I find an oyster, peel it open to reveal a beautiful pearl sitting on it stongue.

The cool water calls to me, longing for the sparkling view gnawing at my heart. Instead I’m sitting on a couch, a forgotten book open in my lap, as I listen to my husband drone on about his day. I’ve only been married to him for a week, and already I find him insufferable. We’re supposed to be moving to the city in a few days, but I’d been given a week to prepare, because apparently that’s how long it takes for me to pack the minimal belongings I own. It hurts me to know that I won’t be able to swim freely again, because being married to this man means my freedom is gone. I belong to my husband, as every wife does, and my rights extend to the rein my husband has on me. It wouldn’t have been so bad if he was at least interesting, but I’m not privy to such luxury. No, my husband finds that conversations with his wife are long speeches to be sat through in silence reacting with the appropriate facial expressions to indicate I am paying attention. What he finds worthy conversation topics I find to be utterly tedious. What he sees as interesting I find boring. Did I mention the man is utterly insufferable? Well it’s worth mentioning twice.

“I hope you’re nearly ready to leave,” Marick asks with an expectant look on his face.

“Almost,” I lie, wanting to hold off the move for as long as possible.

“You better be, or you can leave the rest of your belongings behind,” he snaps.

I refrain from rolling my eyes. “I suppose you’d be replacing them after moving, then?” I lift a golden eyebrow in a challenge.

Marick grits his teeth. “Don’t push me Dorien, I’ve had a long day. I don’t have the energy to deal with your snarky remarks tonight,” he warns.

“It must have been such a strain, pretending to like people to keep your perfect reputation,” I leer.

Marick narrows his eyes. “Don’t be snide,” he berates.

“I’m not,” I jut out my chin.

Marick sighs and runs his hands over his face. “Your behaviour is atrocious, Dorien. Women are polite, seen and not heard,” he gives me a harsh look. “You won’t last long in the city if you keep this up.”

“The bane of my thoughts,” I quip.

“I swear, woman, if you keep it up I’m going to beat the sarcasm out of you,” Marick snarls.

His words are a slap across the face. I’m not used to such untoward words, or such vehemence in a person’s tone when addressing me. I have been threatened before, but Marick’s words ring with a frightening truth to them.

“Why didn’t you marry someone else?” I ask in a small voice.

“We’re not having this conversation again,” Marick groans, sounding tired.

“Okay,” I rise to my feet and pat down my thighs. “I’m going to bed.”

“No you’re not,” Marick waves a dismissive hand. “Sit down.”

“Marick, I’m tired, I’d like to go to sleep,” I whine.

“I haven’t finished talking to you,” he commands.

A sudden burst of anger sizzles under my skin. “Well I am,” I spit, and spin on my heel to leave the room.

There is a rush of air behind me as I’m shoved into the wall, head hitting the stone with a resounding crack. Black spots dance across my vision as Marick spins me around and wraps a giant hand around my throat. He slowly applies pressure as he glares at me menacingly.

“Let this be a warning to you, Dorien,” he grates out through clenched teeth. “The next time you talk back to me I’ll give you a black eye. Understand?”

“Yes,” I mewl pathetically, vision obscured by involuntary tears.

“Why is it so difficult for you to be polite to me, huh? What’s with the attitude all the time?” He asks, sounding incredulous.

“Because you’re a prick,” I choke out before I can stop myself.

A sharp, stabbing pain fills my stomach as Marick’s fist connects with the soft flesh. He releases my neck and watches me crumple to the floor, choking and wheezing in agony, hands wrapped around my body protectively. My head rises and I lock my gaze onto Marick’s blank face, shock etched onto my features.

“Hopefully you’ve learnt your lesson,” is all he says before storming off.

I remain on the floor until I can breathe normally again. Slowly rising to my feet, I hold a hand to my foggy head and look around the lounge room. My eyes land on the tall windows, so I stumble over to them and quietly turn the latch. They swing open soundlessly, and I slip out into the cool air. My feet move at their own accord, down cobbled roads and passed dark houses and shops, until I’m walking through soft sand, the crash of the waves drowning out the erratic beat of my heart.

The ocean swells and surges like a sleeping beast, the rippling surface sparkling obsidian under the silvery moonlight. The waves rear into the air like wild horses, the crests curling over to crash onto the sand, the glistening foam washing around my feet, the temperature biting into my skin. A smile spreads across my lips as I close my eyes, imagining what the reef will look like in the dark, what the shark’s skin will look like under the silver light, how the deep blue will be a beautiful black.

Without looking back, I walk into the waves, the ocean pulling me into his cold embrace, welcoming me home.

This is the short story I handed in for my English assignment. I haven't gotten it back yet, so I can't say my grade. I have to thank @CandyWizard for getting me to post this. So thanks man :)

The theme is a cultural, global or social issue. I chose oppression of women with an undertone of sexuality, and suicide. I did try to make it as clean as possible while still highlighting the problem. It isn't based off real events, and is set in a fantasy world. I do apologise if it makes anyone upset; suicide isn't a nice subject.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:09 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there, I thought I'd drop by and review this for you.

I'm sure that by this point you've gotten your assignment back and know your grade. Hopefully it was all right, and I realize you had a word limit on this, so I'll be aware of that in the review.

I'm going to be a little bit brutal here because you're deliberately writing themes into this, as opposed to just telling a story for the sake of telling a story, and it's really hard to find that balance with a theme.

So: What you have here is old and tired. Woman forced to marry cruel husband commits suicide. We've all heard it before, and the problem is, it's hard to care because it's set in a fantasy world. The interest in the sea is a nice detail, but it doesn't make this unique. Furthermore, it does little to demonstrate actual woman's issues. I'm not saying that having an abusive husband isn't a woman's issue, because it is one that's quite prevalent, but, quite frankly, an abusive husband isn't automatically a sign of societal oppression against women. What could actually be oppression would be if there are absolutely no avenues of escape and no sympathy for battered women. Now, I feel like that's what you're trying to get at here. You hint that she had to marry him for reasons unknown, and that she can't just walk away and she needs to keep her head down if she wants to survive. But these hints aren't enough. I know you have limited space here, but it just doesn't do enough to show that women are oppressed and make it feel not generic.

Considering the limited space you have, I wouldn't recommend making this a fantasy world at all. All you've been able to do here is make a cliche shadow of how women were oppressed in the real world, and it doesn't build readers' sympathy. It's also frustrating because it doesn't accurately reflect women's problems. Instead, pick a country where woman are oppressed. Not a first world country - one where women actually lack rights. Do a fair bit of research, then write your story set there.

The thing is, it honestly depends on what you're going for. Are you trying to write about oppression of women, or about domestic abuse towards women? Because one does not automatically equal the other. If you want to write about oppression of women, I wouldn't go for the abusive husband at all, just because it's so overdone, and either way, I'd set it in the real world.

Sorry if this is overly harsh or rambling. If you're confused about something I said or just have questions, feel free to ask. I know you probably won't re-write it, but hopefully it'll make your next story better.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:59 pm
reikann wrote a review...

Heya!
Phew. Powerful topic. Then again, it's hard to do suicide and make it light.
The themes you were aiming through did shine through. I didn't pick up on sexuality, but given the subject matter of plot, I think perhaps that's an undertone that's alright skipping.
You obviously love description, and it shows in skill. I enjoy the way the opening and ending paragraphs reference each other, as it ties the piece together neatly.
In the opening, the narrator mentions that she loves oysters best. It feels like a wasted opportunity to not reference that again in the closing. Or, alternatively, change her favorite part such that the end can reference it.
As for the dialogue, I did find it hard to read. Not because the dialogue was poorly written, (it was not,) but rather because the subject matter - domestic abuse - is uncomfortable to examine. However, as a result, the descriptions of the ocean were the 'easier', 'safer' read, which does tie to the plot, so... Take that as you will!
About halfway through, this line shows up: 'Anger sudden burst of anger sizzles under my skin.' I'm not sure what's going wrong here, but you probably know. Shouldn't be hard to fix!
Overall, I'd say this piece succeeded in its goal and also has some fine imagery. Keep it up!

Basil says...

Thank you so much for the review! The undertone of sexuality was Dorien's love for the ocean but her parents saying she needs to marry a man. It isn't very obvious, so i don't blame you for not picking up on it. Also, Dorien is a pearl diver. I had a word limit, so I didn't know how to incorporate it into the story without going over the limit. But I will edit the last couple of paragraphs to tie it in. And thank you for pointing out that mistake, I fixed it straight away haha. I'm very glad you enjoyed it, and again, thank you so much for the review :3

reikann says...

Oh, I'm glad to have helped!

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:11 pm
insane says...

Wow! Really powerful writing,for a short story you engage the reader so well !
A really tasteful way to approach difficult subjects;really enjoyed reading it! Definitely pulls at the heart strings!

Basil says...

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your comment. I'm very glad you enjoyed!

hmmm. you know, the quote generator deserves some garlic bread
— SilverNight