12+

Real American Woman, ch. 2

by AyumiGosu17

August 13, 2013

I spent time with Amanda this past weekend. It was so wonderful. I really am gracious that I have such a marvelous and caring best friend.

I met her at her house, where I unloaded all of my stuff into her room. She had already ordered pizza for dinner, and she got me a coke. We did watch a little bit of TV with her folks, before retreating into her room on the other side of the house.

Her house is interesting. It could be weird, but her house actually makes me happy. It takes my mind off of things that worry me, and there’s always something…interesting happening. You see, her house is haunted. It sounds ridiculous and farfetched, but it is, by at least two distinct entities. There’s one upstairs that we avoid like the plague, and then there’s the other one, who we’ve nicknamed “Friend.” In all this time that I’ve known about it, I’ve never felt threatened or unwelcome before.

This weekend was no different. Once we were in her room, we sat on the floor, a pizza between us, and we watched Cirque du Soleil, the Quidam and Worlds Away editions. That was heaven…a circus that is almost an opera…

There are some days when I wish I could just skip getting a degree and go straight into a theater. Other days, I wish I had started in a music major to begin with, so that I could be finishing this year and go ahead and be working on auditions to a program somewhere. That is my ultimate goal: to perform opera and classical theater, like Shakespeare and Homer… I want to stand in the center of a stage and sing out my soul to people who want to hear and love and learn. I’ve felt that pull, that thrill, since I was in early high school and I saw my first Broadway show in New York City. Lion King… There’s nothing more fulfilling to a God-fearing musician than mesmerizing and inspiring other artists by what you can do on a stage, with just a piano as accompaniment, and a quiet room. It’s even more effective when you aren’t ashamed to give the credit to God, because He is the one who blesses us with talents like that, after all. “Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery” (Timothy 4:14, KJV).

I would be so excited to perform something like “Elvira” from I Puritani, “Adele” from Die Fledermaus, “Morgana” from Alcina, “Queen of the Night” from Die Zauberflote. God, Die Zauberflote… If there is one role that I would die to play, it would be that one. No coloratura can be fully satisfied or fulfilled as an artist until they have taken on the challenge of “Der Holle Rache”… I wish Dr. Allard would let me work on it, but I know she never would. I’m “too young” to take it on and succeed, that it would “destroy me.” If she knew that I sing along with it at home and in the car, she’d kill me.

Cirque du Soleil is a whole new spectrum, though. It has the same aspects as a classical opera, musically – the orchestra, the vocal focus, the story-like atmosphere, the theatrics. The only difference is that it’s a human circus. With my ankle and all of my scars, I don’t think I could ever do something remotely “athletic” ever again, not without hurting or re-injuring myself. Bikes and slow-paced long distance, maybe, and maybe some ultimate Frisbee on the quad, but only for a short period, and definitely no heavy track, soccer, or baseball. I might still be able to dance, with Zumba or Shimmy, but that would be the closest thing to a “circus act” that I may ever get.

Maybe one day. Hopefully, the news, both this Thursday and next Thursday, will be good. Maybe I won’t need surgery on my ankle, because the tendon grew back together. It doesn’t feel any different, but I’ve also been stuck in a boot for two months and a brace for one month. Hopefully, the ultrasound will show more progress, enough to let me get around without protection and start doing long-distance again. And maybe my femininity won’t be as bad off as the doctors think, or it’s something easily treatable. I just want to be able to have kids, after a couple of more years when we’re more stable and Jeff has a good job that he loves, and as I’m becoming a known and appreciated artist by God’s will.

Speaking of which, Jeff did not succeed. It’s a…delicate situation. The elementary school he interviewed at actually double-crossed him; they had already offered the job to someone else by the time he got his interview. That person actually turned out to be from the high school he was told about on Friday night, while I was at Amanda’s. We’ve been nervous for three days; his interview went well (according to him, he “kicked in their front door and left them awed”), and the principals told him that he would know as soon as they did. Well, we finally know… The superintendent didn’t release their current director from her contract, so she’s staying. Everyone is bummed, even the principals. When they called Jeff and told him, they implied very heavily that he would have had the job if it had opened, and they begged him to try again in six months or next year; their director is still pressing for the elementary school, adamant that she wants to leave and that it “suits her professional goals better.”

Until then, I guess we have to deal with the dread, uncertainty, and imbalance.

Hannah wrote a review...

Hey! I was in here a long time ago to look at your first chapter -- I remember there was a lot of tension about unsolved things, so I like the slower pace this chapter takes. What's nice is that although we don't really /really/ move forward in the plot, we get to know a lot more about this character (you!). You tell us about your desires, and there's nothing more character / relationship building than knowing what really makes a person passionate. I especially love the detail that you do sing it in the car even though your teacher (?) tells you it's a bad idea.

One thing you want to try really hard not to do is to use cliches like this one:

that we avoid like the plague

This is worn-out language. It appears in a thousand places and all it does is weaken your writing. Instead of getting a creepy feeling like we should, we actually kind of thing the "entity" you avoid is funny -- it's not important enough to be described with real fear, just cliches. Haha~ So, be aware and careful of that!

I look forward to some resolution of at least one situation in the next chapter, though. I know this is a journal and kept for your personal benefit, but if you were to consider making this into a story for a wider audience, you'd want to know that we can only be kept waiting so long before some resolution, even if it doesn't happen that way in real life. < 3

Let me know if you have any questions or comments about this, and keep writing!

OliveDreams wrote a review...

Me again! :) I will review as I read again to make it all go a little smoother.

I already love that you've immediately introduced a new character to us!

“I met her at her house, where I unloaded all of my stuff into her room. She had already ordered pizza for dinner, and she got me a coke. We did watch a little bit of TV with her folks, before retreating into her room on the other side of the house.” - I know they're diary entries but I feel as though this particular paragraph is a bit redundant. It doesn't give us any important information that we need.

You're next paragraph is great for giving us information that we need to know! :)

“Until then, I guess we have to deal with the dread, uncertainty, and imbalance.” - This is a great last sentence. It finishes and rounds things off nicely.

Again – I would like a little more personal emotions! Its her diary! I would be pouring all of my thoughts and feelings out into this tiny page. Not being able to feel what she is feeling just makes the whole thing feel a little flat.

Gooood luck!

HAPPY REVIEW DAY!

Olive <3

manisha wrote a review...

Hi again!
I saw this first, then I went back to read chapter 1 and I'm back here again!

To the reviewing-

That was heaven…a circus that is almost an opera…
Ellipsis are fun to use but I'm not really sure why ellipsis are needed here. I usually use them I want to leave a unfinished thought.
Lion King…
here again, you make use of ellipsis. I do not it is necessary.

It sad to hear Jeff didn't get the job. However I do not feel sad for him. What I'm trying to say his that "Jeff didn't get his job" is stated as a fact(which it is) without any emotion. This is Audra's diary, she can go right ahead and pour down her feelings here. She can show us the pain instead of just telling us about how painful it is. I hope I haven't ended up confusing you!

Overall, it was a fine chapter!

I look forward to reading more!

-manisha

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:45 am
kazza says...

This is a good start! At the beginning, maybe you could use more adjectives for more information, and more excitement, more thrill in the middle of the Chapter. I really enjoyed reading how acting and singing gets your mood and emotion in its top place, and your skills with writing how you feel with the correct and better words. This story is advancing quite slowly, which is good, to give the reader more of a chance to get to know your character. Well done, I really enjoyed this XD

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:54 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...

Hi Ayumi!

Okay so the first thing that struck me here was that the layout of this chapter was a whole bunch better than that of the first chapter. I really liked the fact that this was all just one entry, I think it works much better. You had time to space out your thoughts. It also felt a lot more like a diary entry. I liked how you talked about specific events that happened that day, and also let Audra's mind wander... you know whenever you read your own diary (or at least I do), I find whole *segments* where I just talk about stories or books I've read, my passions that aren't actually a record of "HERE IS WHAT I DID TODAY" but just what you've been thinking about and what you want to write about. So even though I didn't understand it I really liked that paragraph all about the different parts that Audra wanted to play.

I did get interested though- if that's all she ever wanted to do since high school, why did she ever go into biomed in the first place? (any health science has a special place in my heart, 'kay? I don't like people not liking it! :P)

And here we hit the conundrum. Because while I love the feel of this being an actual diary, you have to strike a balance. Because it's not a diary, it's a piece of fiction for other people to read. So we need Audra to do things that we might not necessarily do in our diaries- to give us backstory. To give us scenes and examples of how Amanda calmed her down or a story illustrating the ghost. Maybe cut down talking about Cirque du Soleil quite so much.

Getting the voice right for diary entries is really nice, but to work as a novel it does have to have a few more elements of story telling in it. The pace has to stay even- the pace jumped dramatically from the first chapter to here. We need explanations and we need a reason to root for Audra.

Overall though I did think this was much better than the first one!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence