Memoirs, Part One-Chapter One

by AyumiGosu17

***This has been rated R for future reference. This entire document (including this part and the following parts) is an unedited, first-hand account, including the infamous military language and situations.***

Memoirs of a Battalion Commander

Part One

One

I never thought I would be the person I am today, and I never dreamed I would be one of the most influential people in the largest school family at Greenville High. I never imagined I would become a military-influenced woman.

As a fourth grader, the Junior Recruiting Officers Training Corps was just a different name for the Army. I saw the uniforms, heard the commands, and witnessed the seemingly intense training – I looked upon it all, amazed and fearful. I was adamant that I wouldn’t enlist, but that was before I understood the heart of it all.

JROTC is not about recruiting every single youth for the military. It is about motivating young people to become better citizens. It teaches life skills: first aid, survival tactics, insurance and wage specifics, decision making, goal setting, and communication; citizenship skills; government, negotiations, resisting peer pressure and controlled substances, overcoming prejudice and stereotypes, developing respect for self and others, discipline, and tolerance; leadership skills: defining your Winning Color(1) and discovering your leadership style(2); and some military fundamentals: orienteering, ranks and duty positions, drill and ceremony(3), teamwork… I know I could go on forever discussing the benefits of JROTC, but why list them? I have lived them.

JROTC has been a part of me for the last four years, and I know I will miss it once I graduate. But I will never forget the lessons it has taught me.

This is my unedited story.

***************

1. There are four Winning Colors, each of which define the basics of what kind of person you are. Brown is a Builder – a natural leader; Blue is a Relater – a people-person; Green is a Planner – an artistic, creative thinker; and Red is an Adventurer – a spontaneous, hyperactive person.

2. There are three leadership styles: Directing, where you take total command; Participating, where you work with potential leaders and help them in a one-on-one manner; and Delegating, where you tell others what to do and to do it for you.

3. Drill and Ceremony is a formal marching sequence platoons must perform during an inspection.

BenFranks says...

Don't worry :) I know you probably are going through the emotions, I was just thinking along a "future note" basis if you ever felt you wanted to get the memoirs published or produced. Anyway, glad to have helped. If you post anymore non-fiction; PM me! I love to help out in this genre.

~Ben

AyumiGosu17 says...

Thanks. It's a really cool program; you should google it - Army JROTC. There must be a million different websites on it, with pictures and schools and such.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:18 am
fiction903 says...

That is interesting. I have never heard of this organization before. Your essay is certainly informative. Good luck and keep writing fiction.

AyumiGosu17 says...

Thanks for the critique. I do realize my writing was a bit choppy and repetitive, but I'm currently experiencing a roller coaster of emotions, all due to JROTC, ironically... :?

Anyway, I appreciate the tips and the link. I'll be sure to check that out.

BenFranks wrote a review...

#0040FF ">Hello Ayumi, I'm Ben. I realise you've mentioned this hasn't yet been edited, but I thought I'd give you a few comments and suggestions, so I hope they help!

AyumiGosu17 wrote:***This has been rated R for future reference #0040FF ">This is currently "Unrated", you might want to edit it to an R rating if thats what you intended. This entire document (including this part and the following parts) is an unedited, first-hand account, including the infamous military language and situations.***

Memoirs of a Battalion Commander

Part One

One

I never thought I would be the person I am today#0040FF ">; and I never dreamed I would be one of the most influential people in the largest school family at Greenville High. I never imagined I would become a military-influenced woman. #0040FF ">I like this introduction, but be way of repeating "I never..." too much, I know you only actually use it twice here, but it's probably once too many.

As a fourth grader, JROTC #0040FF ">(You should put what this means in brackets here to avoid confusion and then at the start of your next paragraph, put the abbreviated "JROTC") was just a different name for the Army. I saw the uniforms, heard the commands,#0040FF ">(no comma needed) and witnessed the seemingly intense training – I looked upon it all, amazed and fearful. #0040FF ">I like that you've kept your feelings simple and blunt, it's more pleasant for the reader and a good move with memoir genres. I was adamant#0040FF ">(Good, independent word choice) that I wouldn’t enlist, but that was before I understood the heart of it all. #0040FF ">Good and links with next paragraph so it's flowing well.

#0040FF ">The JROTC is not about recruiting every single youth for the military. It is #0040FF ">It's (I only say this because to me it flows better and you used "is" in the previous sentence) about motivating young people to become better citizens. #0040FF ">Simple and to the point, I'm not lost or confused so that's good. It teaches life skills#0040FF ">: (Colon to start lists, not a hash) first aid, survival tactics, insurance and wage specifics, decision making, goal setting, and communication; citizenship skills#0040FF ">: (again) government, negotiations, resisting peer pressure and controlled substances, overcoming prejudice and stereotypes, developing respect for self and others, discipline, and tolerance; leadership skills#0040FF ">: (again) defining your Winning Color1, discovering your leadership style2, #0040FF ">I think the numerics should be in superscript or in brackets such as this: (1) and implementing each style in the right way at the prime time; and some military fundamentals, due only to the fact this is a military-funded and military-developed program#0040FF ">: orienteering, flags, ranks and duty positions, drill and ceremony3, pride, teamwork… I know I could go on forever discussing the benefits of JROTC, but why list them? I have lived them. #0040FF ">I like the ending to this, but in terms of your list you need to be a little careful not to over do it. For the majority of reading through it, it felt alright, but nearer the ending of the list it got a bit too much; that's from a reader's point of view though. If you felt it was vital to involve them, then maybe (if you ever decide to publish/produce your memoirs) you could lay it out more suitably, i.e. a bullet point list or something.

#0040FF ">Rephrasing suggestion: JROTC has been a part of me for the last four years; I know I will miss it once I graduate, but I will never forget the lessons it has taught me.

This is my unedited story.

***************

#0040FF ">Food for thought: http://www.ioweb.com/civilwar/ <- that is a link to some memoirs written by a 19th C. soldier that I thought you might find quite interesting. :)

Overall, this is a nicely structured piece, with a few suggestions you might find useful. Keep it up!

~Ben
Drop me a PM if you need any assistance, expecially with Non-Fiction! :)

To succeed, you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you.
— Tony Dorsett