z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Mask

by Axioss


You come to talk to me and I put her on, my mask. Living flesh and living skin fuse together with the lifeless, cold clay of the mask to form a unity, as real as my true face but perfect and wonderful. A being from out of my dimension has taken over me. But I don't realize her, until you reach me and you open your mouth to say something.

Your words don't reach me, my mask shelters me from them, keeps them away from me, keeps me safe. And I feel my lips moving, bending, stretching out, forming the grotesque gesture that we call smile and my lips hurt by being stretched against my will, but my false face forces them and enjoys my pain, while you keep talking and my mask smiles and laughs and says something from time to time.

Beautiful words, full of meaning, charm and humor but I don't know what they mean, they just come out of me, rather out of her, like stringing pearls on a neckless the drip out of her mouth. Dirty and full of lies. I don't feel my lips moving, don't feel my breath leaving my mouth, just hear them, those beautiful words she says and I hate the feeling that I'm loosing control over myself, hate the feeling that my face gets numb when I put her on, this whole non-feeling I have when she is me. And I don't even want to talk to you, I  don't even like you. I almost hate you, hate your voice, so dull and voiceless, like a whisper. But my mask wants me to smil, my mask loves you, loves everybody, wants to be loved by everybody. She disgusts me, her need to be loved by everybody, her constant lies, her perfection.

Finally you're gone and I try to take my veil of, but she refuses, protests, fights my wish to be me. I feel the once so lifeless clay pulling on my skin, sticking to it like tar, black and gross. She bites my skin, trying to suck life out of me, screaming in pain, and I'm exhausted, wearing her drains my spirit, sucks out my life. All the smiling and laughing, giving the reactions people expect me to do, reactions I expect myself to do.

She screams and roars like the beast she is as I rip her of my skin. All my anger bottled up under my mask while I was talking to you bursts out as I toss her away, and finally I feel free, free of expectations, free of a stranger controlling me, free of her. And as I look at her, I notice how beautiful she is, so realistic and perfect. And she whispers to me, whispers in my ear, more in my mind. Her voice is everywhere. She's the shadow in the darkness surrounding me like the ocean in its deepest parts. She whispers to me soft and silent: "Put me back on! I know you want me, you can't be without me!" I hate it, I cover my ears, tell her she's not really me, but her voice is in my mind giving me orders, soft and silent, but urging. She speaks in my ear, telling me to put her on. I tell her she's not real, not really me, not really anything but clay. She commands me to pick her up and this time I don't refuse. I can't, her voice, my voice is cold and sharp as ice.

I pick her up and feel her greed to be worn, to be one with me, to consume me and be me. I feel her greed like worms under my skin, crawling in every direction, trying to capture my whole body, or is it my greed to wear her, be her, be perfect like her, loved by everybody?

I reject these thoughts but she knows me, knows what I think and starts to whisper again, whispers to my soul. Tells me to wear her, one last time to just enjoy the experience. I scream at her, I don't need her, that I created her. I posses her, not the other way. She laughs, cold and without emotion, then speaks into my ear: "If you don't need me, then you can face yourself." I'm afraid of what she means with that, and my eyes wander to the mirror and as I want to look at my face, I only see a dark spot, made of nothing. Only darkness and she chuckles. Panic rushes through my body, fills every limb, every corner of my body as I look into the nothing I've become. I scream in fear what she has done to me, done to my face, and she tells me, that I just had to put her on and everything would be perfect again. Her words sound true, so gentle, so appropriate for the situation, so perfect that it disgusts me. I tell her to give my face back, tell her that I'm her master, tell her I created her and she agrees. Agrees that I created her to be me everyday, when I am not me. She tells me that I'm less me than her and I have to agree, agree to what she says. I don't feel like me today, I feel strange and cold. She doesn't, she is perfect, she can be anything she wants to be, needs to be, needs to be successful every time. But I refuse to wear her, wear a thing that controls me and is not me, something I created. I am stronger than my disguise, stronger than her unnatural desire to be a living being, to be something, to be itself, just the pure existence.

And I see you coming back, walking towards me and say something, your words pure like snowflakes and I noticed I never really heard your voice, never heard the sound of it, the way it moves the air, the way it creates rhythm. But still I hate you and I feel my lips moving, my tongue twitching creating sounds, almost words. A strange feeling, something the mask has always felt when she was speaking, and now I'm free to speak. And as my organs move to create a sound, I see your face changing and I notice, I don't hear the words I say, just feel them leave my mouth like moths, dull and ugly moths, poisonous and ready to hurt you. I feel them but don't hear them, but I hear your voice clear as never before, and I hear your cries and sobs as you curse me for the words, I didn't say and nothing is their to shelter me, to protect me from your wrath. I feel it and I hear it and as you start raising your voice again to throw words at me, I feel the mask in my hand, the cold clay, somehow calming and I feel how living flesh and living skin fuse together to form a unity, perfect and wonderful. And I want her on my face, protecting me from reality and reality from me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:36 pm
tigeraye wrote a review...



I hope you stick around and submit more stories here, because this is fantastic. So much so that I know I won't be able to do it justice with my terrible reviewing. There's just a ton you can probably assume that the mask represents, and I think any one person who reads this won't get the same thing as another.


I feel them but don't hear them, but I hear your voice clear as never before, and I hear your cries and sobs as you curse me for the words, I didn't say and nothing is their to shelter me, to protect me from your wrath.


The dialogue like that is amazingly powerful and conveys such strong emotions. I love how the entire time the narrator is talking about just what exactly this mask is, and in the last part shes like "I like this mask, I'm going to wear it." He/she doesn't want people to see his/her face, he//she wants to hide it, He/she likes that aspect and its really interesting how you took this simple concept and rolled with it in such a powerful, descriptive, emotional way.

My only real complaint is that you could space paragraphs out more. Pressing the enter key to split up paragraphs after a few sentences or so breaks up the "wall of text" and makes it a bit more pleasant for others to read. That's mostly a nitpick. So yeah, I definitely applaud you for this and I hope you get someone who knows what they're actually talking about to review this instead of just me. Job well done.




User avatar
141 Reviews


Points: 34531
Reviews: 141

Donate
Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:20 pm
View Likes
Hattable wrote a review...



Hey there, Axioss!
Hattable here to review your seemingly first posted story. Speaking of which, welcome to YWS!
Now, I'm mainly going to be blathering on about grammar mistakes and such here. Really all I do. That and ellipses... Lots of ellipses (and short sentences, it would seem... Very short sentences.).
Anyway, this was pretty good. Prettay goood... Yup. Sorry, no good at reviews.

Let's get to the grammar, shall we?

Living flesh and living skin fuse together with the lifeless, cold clay of the mask to form a unity, as real as my true face but perfect and wonderful.

This is alright, but perhaps it'd flow better if you moved the commas behind “unity” and put it behind “face”, like this:
Living flesh and living skin fuse together with the lifeless, cold clay of the mask to form a unity as real as my true face, but perfect and wonderful.

A being from out of my dimension has taken over me.

This works, but “has taken me over” sounds a bit better. Both are perfectly fine, though, so it's up to you.
You start quite a few sentences with “and”. It's not really necessary. I can understand you doing it if you want your style to be a bit more... stop-go? Not sure how to describe it, but sentences starting with “and” mess up the flow of the story a bit.
forming the grotesque gesture that we call smile

Forgot an “a” before “smile”. Quick fix.
Beautiful words, full of meaning, charm and humor but I don't know what they mean, they just come out of me, rather out of her, like stringing pearls on a neckless the drip out of her mouth. Dirty and full of lies.

Now this... This could be formatted a bit differently to make it feel less like it's being dragged out and more... Not dragged out. Like so:
Beautiful words, full of meaning, charm and humor, but I don't know what they mean. They just come out of me – or, rather, out of her - like stringing pearls on a necklace that drip out of her mouth, dirty and full of lies.

Not much better, but it's not as long and dragging to read. Also note, “neckless” is spelled “necklace” and you mistakenly type “the” instead of “that” (I assume you meant “that”) after “necklace”.
I hate the feeling that I'm loosing control over myself

I'd spell this “losing” but that's just dumb American English. Dunno where you're from or what - version, I suppose? - you use, so... Yeah...
And I don't even want to talk to you, I  don't even like you.

Here's one such sentence starting with “and” when it really isn't necessary. Again, if it's part of your style, just ignore this bit, but otherwise it'd do your story some good to cut out these “ands”. Also, you've put two spaces before “don't”. Just a little typo, does nothing to your story's flow, don't worry. :p Just thought I'd point it out.
But my mask wants me to smil

“Smile” is missing its E, oh nooo.
I try to take my veil of

And here's “off” with a missing F. What's the world coming to? (I kid.)
She bites my skin, trying to suck life out of me, screaming in pain, and I'm exhausted, wearing her drains my spirit, sucks out my life.

I'd split this into two separate sentences, turning the comma between “exhausted” and “wearing” into a period. I think it'd help with the flow. (Yes, the flow again. It's all about the flow.)
giving the reactions people expect me to do

This doesn't really make perfect sense. Not that perfect sense is required, but read it... “the reactions people expect me to do”? You don't really do reactions. You have them, or show them. So... Maybe make this “giving the reactions people expect of me” or “people expect me to have”. Just some suggestions, though, you can reword it however you want (or not at all, of course).
She screams and roars like the beast she is as I rip her of my skin.

Another “off” missing an F. Real easy fix.
And as I look at her, I notice how beautiful she is, so realistic and perfect. And she whispers to me, whispers in my ear, more in my mind.

I know I've been saying that the sentences starting with “and” need to be weeded out, but these two are great. I think they go really well with the story. Leave these alone. The other two should probably be reconsidered, though, for the sake of flow!
I scream at her, I don't need her, that I created her.

“I scream at her that I don't need her, that I created her” would work better if the narrator is telling the mask that they don't need her. Otherwise it's fine as it is.
I posses her, not the other way.

*possess
She laughs, cold and without emotion

“Cold and emotionless” seems like a better wording, don't you think? Again, it's entirely up to you. These are just suggestions.
I'm afraid of what she means with that, and my eyes wander to the mirror and as I want to look at my face, I only see a dark spot, made of nothing.

Here I'm going to suggest a bit more than I have before... The wording's a bit skewed here. Perhaps something like “I'm afraid of what she means by that, and my eyes wander to the mirror, scanning the surface around. I want to look at my face, but I only see a dark emptiness, seemingly nothing.”
Not that good, but it's an idea you could toss around.
and she tells me, that I just had to put her on

That comma there isn't necessary, it just feels like it stunts the flow of the sentence.
And I want her on my face, protecting me from reality and reality from me.

Not sure how I feel about this starting “and”... I'll just ignore it. :p I'm here for the end of the sentence anyway. A comma might do good here, such as “protecting me from reality, and reality from me.”

And there we go! I skipped over some smaller things, but I'm sure you can figure them out if you take a good look over your story again.
As I said before, this is pretty good. I'm not gonna go into what I think it means because I'm terrible at explaining my ideas and such, but I think I get it well enough.

Great job, keep writing!
-Hatt





The quote generator! That's a genius idea.
— Necromancer14