When the world has burned

by Avis

What can you say
When the world has burned
And we’re standing in its ashes?
What can you do
When love turns to grief
And our memories come in flashes?

What can I say
As I hold your hand
And the sky rains crimson blood?
What can I do
But pull you close
And wait for the roar of the flood?

What can we say
When we see the end
And wonder if this loss was worth it?
What can we do
When we’re broken inside
Broken more than a little bit?

Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:12 pm
JohnKlue wrote a review...

A Fascinating picture of the end.

I find references to the threat of Climate change coupled with an almost Biblical tone regarding the end.

This poem feels like someone saying goodbye to someone else, and trying to comfort someone else about what is about to happen.

I like what you are doing here and honestly I have no words.

Avis says...

Hi, thanks for the review! ^-^

JohnKlue says...

Your Welcome.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:50 am
LadyTano wrote a review...

Avis, this poem is truly a work of art. Very seldom do I find a poem that am I touched so deeply by. It's so deep and meaningful, and I feel the despair from it. 😭
A few things I have to say is that the flow of this poem isn't perfect, and when I reread it the rhyming bothers me a little bit, but I didn't catch that the first time, so maybe that's just me.
Thank you for writing this!

Truly, Miecz

Avis says...

Hi Miecz, thank you for the review and feedback. It really means a lot to hear that my work touched you so deeply. Thank you so much and I hope you have a great day!

Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:44 am
LizzyTyler wrote a review...

Good morning, evening, afternoon, night, or whichever applies to you in your respective time zone at the moment. Anyway, onto the review.

I really loved this poem! I had to read it at least three times, to fully grasp the extent of this poem. I loved the rhyme scheme, as well as the rhythm. It was very well written, moving smoothly from one stanza to the next.

I think my favorite line(s) in this poem is the lines,

“What can you do
When love turns to grief
And our memories come in flashes?”

Because it is so vivid and descriptive, and brings clear images to your mind. This part of the first stanza is very beautifully written and heartfelt.

The only thing I might have made different, was perhaps the last stanza. The first two, had well maintained rhythms, and syllables. The first two stanzas had a 4/5/7/4/5/9, and 4/5/7/4/4/8 syllables schemes, which go well together. Except the last stanza, which has a 4/7/10/4/6/8 syllables, which is vastly different scheme than the first two.

Of course, you may choose to change it, or not, because in the end it is your poem. And a good one at that. I hope to see more of your work around! Have a great rest of your day, and keep writing!

-Lizzy

Avis says...

Hi Lizzy, thanks for the review! I really appreciate your feedback on different parts of the poem and especially your insight on the syllable count. Have a great day ^-^

LizzyTyler says...

You too!

Avis says...

Hi, just wanted to let you know, I edited it a bit to try and improve the syllable count and flow of it (it's not perfect, but I think it's a bit better). Let me know what you think! ^-^

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:46 pm
fatherfig wrote a review...

This is gem flying up from her jewelrybox ready to review.

Introduction of Feelings for the Piece-

I like this poem, and how its written in questions. It makes you come up with your own answers, very creative. I also enjoy the metaphorical fashion of the entire poem. The questions carry into each other, and so do the emotions behind them. This work was easily related to, and during these times I can see why. I think you did a great job, and though everyone has room for growth, I think you are a marvelous poet.

Nitpicks-

With all the first stanza having this pattern of what -> when -> and, when you said 'but' in the second stanza I was jarred. This isn't a large nitpick or something I would have you change but I do think that notifying you it was surprising might help you as you move forward. If it wasn't intentional for one, you can look at how it was set up and see how I read it. However if it was intentional then now you know it worked :D . I see you've decided to use apostrophies in this peice so I'll let you know the first ' its' ' isn't carrying an ownership apostrophe as well. Other than that I see no issues and I loved your work.

This is gem flying back into her jewelrybox. I do hope you keep writing poetry, you are sensational. <3

Avis says...

Hi gem, thanks for your review! I really appreciate the feedback (and the compliments ^-^). Honestly, the "but" that you found jarring wasn't really intentional (I want to pretend it was though). However for the "its" and "it's," I think the difference is that one is possessive and the other is a contraction of "it is". I'm really grateful for your review, thanks again!

fatherfig says...

you are always welcome

When Larry King retires in 120 years John Mulaney should replace him.
— The Internet