The Mysticals (prologue) [name'll probably change]

by Autumn

This is another idea I've been tossing around about whether to develop or not.. I was pretty tired when I wrote it so I don't think it's that good x_x feel free to crit harshly!

-----------------------------

The magic-infused glass wall, which had imprisoned me my whole life, now lay shattered upon the trembling grass. A cool breeze whispered through the air, as I lent my foot on one of the glittering shards. Wavering for a moment, it soon broke with a cold, brittle snap.

I’d never really held meaning to the saying that something can be both a blessing and a curse. Well the wall surely fitted the ‘curse’ category, but it had also saved our lives.

I sighed, lifting my gaze once more to the ruptured lands, meters away from where we stood on the low, gloomy hilltop. The once beautiful, bright city of Tristelle now lay in ruin. An ugly, darkened mess. It was like the earth had been ripped apart, tossed into the air, and then thrown back down again into a crumpled, shadow infested heap.

Every now and then I caught a flash of blood red amongst the chaos, brushed across the bodies of tall, darkened figures whose bodies were twisted into monstrous shapes.

Demons.

This was the moment I had waited for, the moment I had always dreamed of in the fifteen years I had been alive.

Finally, we were free.

But all I could think right now was of the cruel injustice that had taken place. Those evil, bloodthirsty demons had turned this place overnight from a paradise upon earth into a living hell. All those innocent lives gone, just like that. And all we could do was watch helplessly from behind the wall as they ravaged through the city, killing, destroying. When the wall, too, had been shattered, it could only mean one thing - that all traces of life in the city had been swept away. Only once the demons had had their fill did they lay dormant. Probably assessing their handywork with cruel, bitter grins.

My hands curled into fists as rage erupted within me.

"How could they do this?" I burst, breaking the silence which had built up around me.

Because they’re demons. My mind answered for me.

A brief silence followed until I heard footsteps from behind.

"Uhm… Jess..?" a voice called faintly from behind me.

I turned to the nine-year-old, as she walked across from our home, which was a simple, two-story house. It was the only place I’d known my entire life. Crissie, with her curling black hair and icy blue eyes, stared up at me intently. In my scrambled heap of emotions, I couldn’t help but to conjure a sad smile.

"I don’t know why they done it but…" she shuffled around her foot, kicking a spiral of dust into the air before looking up once more, "what we gonna do now?"

"Well.." I pondered, staring into a wreckage where a pair of evil red eyes gazed back at me. I shuddered and looked away quickly.

"I don’t know, but we can’t stay here, that’s for sure."

I stared across the hilltop to where Tay, tall, with his chestnut brown hair, stood against the breeze, looking upon the land. His emerald green eyes seemed caught up in conflicting emotions.

After a few moments, he sensed my gaze and turned to walk over.

"I might go down there," he said abruptly, in is his usual calm, reasonable voice, which made it seem like a demon infested wasteland was just a walk down the lane. "Just, in case anyone survived."

I opened my mouth to argue, but Crissie beat me to it.

"Whaaat?" She gasped, reaching forward and grabbing his arm, her eyes were fuelled with terror. "With those things down there?"

"Crissie’s right," I echoed, "I’d advise you didn’t, unless of course you have a death wish."

"How do you know they’d kill us?" His forehead crumpled in frustration. "How do you know we won’t kill them? Why do you think we’ve been trapped on this damned hill?"

I gasped, as realization flooded through me.

"The power seals" I whispered, lifting up my sleeve. A metallic, intricately designed bracelet decorated my wrist. I gasped in shock. The tiny runes, which patterned it, had stopped glowing.

Which could only mean one thing.

Crissie and Tay’s eyes both widened in simultaneous shock, as they too lifted their sleeves to reveal similarly designed bracelets.

"Hey guys!" called a voice from behind, distracting us momentarily from this realisation. It was Russ, his curly blonde hair swaying in the wind as he ran over. A vastly overfilled rucksack lined his back, and as he ran, cans of food and books came tumbling out.

"Let’s get outta this hell hole already!" he grinned excitedly. "Finally we’re free. We could go anywhere! Even.. uh.. Hawaii! Oh, we could even go to France and eat baguettes!"

"Unless you haven’t noticed…" Tay pointed to the city.

"Thousands of innocent people have just died" I glared at him angrily. "And all you care about is bread?"

"Hey, who’s the enemy here?" Russ shot back, "They’re the ones that locked us up, and they’re the ones that wanted to kill us! Who’s side are you-"

"Hello!" interrupted Crissie, steering away an argument, "The power seals?"

Russ gasped in shock as he, too, came to the realization.

With a sudden urgency I began to tug at my bracelet. I had to know the reason. I had to know why the four of us had been locked up from the moment we were born.

"Jess…" whispered Crissie, as they all watched intently, waiting to see what what happen.

I struggled with the bracelet, gritting my teeth as it grated against my skin in my desperation to tug it off. But finally, I slipped it off my fingers and it crashed to the ground.

Suddenly, it felt like all my insides were exploding at once. I felt like I was soaring upward into the sky, and plummeting down at the same time. A strange new energy surged through me as I grappled with my senses to try to control it. My vision blurred as a powerful current roared through my head and, unable to control it anymore, I faded into darkness.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:57 pm
Autumn says...

thanks CarryIt_toGod =]

CarryIt_toGod wrote a review...

Hi Autumn!
This story is my first review, and boy am I glad it was! This was great! You did a good job of presenting a plot the was clearly constructed but with the right level of the unknown factor to keep me on the edge. I honestly can't wait for you to write more!

My only problem was "The wall" I'm not an expert but.... if this "wall" is an important factor of the story that you want to put emphasis on then you should probably make it capital "The Wall"; otherwise put an adjective in front of it as OnCeUpOnAtIm3Xo said :D

Autumn says...

thanks for the comments and crits =]

mikedb1492 wrote:One of the things I thought was weird was that the only one happy about the death of their captors was Russ. Shouldn't they all be extremely angry at the people for keeping them locked up all their life? Wouldn't at least a little bit of bitterness form? After all, if they were like prisoners then they'd only know themselves and the guards that brought them food and supplies. They would probably assume the entire town was full of the heartless people that locked them up. If you ask me, a lot of people there would say things like "Good riddense." If their concern for these people plays a big part in this story I would make it so that they had made connections to people from the outside. Like lets say the main character had a connection with some girl from the village or something. Or maybe they saw the children and families playing together or something. Who knows. You decide.

Yehhh, I know what you mean. In the revised prologue I might not actually start it so far ahead into the story, but maybe like a week/month/year before. hmms

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:08 pm
mikedb1492 wrote a review...

This was pretty cool. I really liked it. The opening sentence was made me wonder "Why was there a wall trapping them?" and that alone made me really curious.
One of the things I thought was weird was that the only one happy about the death of their captors was Russ. Shouldn't they all be extremely angry at the people for keeping them locked up all their life? Wouldn't at least a little bit of bitterness form? After all, if they were like prisoners then they'd only know themselves and the guards that brought them food and supplies. They would probably assume the entire town was full of the heartless people that locked them up. If you ask me, a lot of people there would say things like "Good riddense." If their concern for these people plays a big part in this story I would make it so that they had made connections to people from the outside. Like lets say the main character had a connection with some girl from the village or something. Or maybe they saw the children and families playing together or something. Who knows. You decide.

Overall, this was pretty good. I can't wait for the next part.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:12 am
chocoholic wrote a review...

Hello. Very nice. I'd like to see it continued.

The magic infused glass wall, which had imprisoned me my whole life, now lay shattered upon the trembling grass. A cool breeze whispered through the air, as I lent my foot on one of the glittering shards. Wavering for a moment, it soon broke with a cold, brittle snap.

The tenses here seem to be mixed up, but I can't really spot where. I'd re-write this. It's not very appealing, and I really only read on because your description of the story was cool.

Very nice description. And I love the name of Tristelle. Where did you find it?

Again, beautiful. Well, not really. It's quite ugly really. But, oh, you know what I mean.

I would re-write this sentence. Perhaps,

This was the moment I had been waiting for. Finally, after 15 years, I was free.

kay, the dead people imprisoned her, and she's mad that theyre dead? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if somebody was to trap me in a room for 15 years, I think I'd want them dead, so why is this girl upset?

Again, great description. Although, later on she seems to be older than nine.

The bit in bold confused me. It doesn't read very well, you seem to have a hardtime geting your message across.

"How do you know they’d kill us?" His forehead crumpled in rustration. "How do you know we won’t kill them? Why do you think we’ve been trapped on this damned hill?"

frustration

"The power seals," I whispered.

Great description (I seem to be saying that a lot, don't I?)

Again, very, very nice. Please continue it.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:20 am
zankoku_na_tenshi wrote a review...

Wow, this was a great beginning, too. I always envy people who are good at beginnings, the beginning is one of my many fatal weaknesses. XD

The magic infused glass wall, which had imprisoned me my whole life, now lay shattered upon the trembling grass.

This is a totally awesome opening sentence, but I think there should be a hyphen between "magic" and "infused," since you're making a sort of compound word of it.

I think there needs to be a comma after "well." This kind of confused me the first time I read it, it might make more sense if the first sentence said something like "Until now, I'd never really understood how something can be both a blessing and a curse."

"Just, in case anyone survived."

Unnecessary comma of doom. XD

Great start, I really want to read more of this. I like your characters already, and I've only just met them. Splendid job. ^_^

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:06 pm
Autumn says...

Thanks a bunch for the comments and crit, I really appreciate it!

I'll get it edited in a sec.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:58 pm
khfan890 wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this, actually. It intrigued me, I'll say that. There were, however, many grammar and composition mistakes that I noticed, so I'll try to correct them here.

infuzed

I'm pretty sure it should be with an "s" instead of a "z".

as I lent my foot on the glittering shards. Wavering for a moment, it soon broke with a cold, brittle snap.

What does "as I lent my foot on the glittering shards" mean? I assume it means she's stepping on them. And if the glass shards are breaking, change the word "it" in the second sentence to "they".

I’d never really held meaning to the saying that something can be both a blessing, and a curse. Well, the wall surely fitted the ‘curse’ category, but it had also saved our lives.

Take the comma out before "and a curse" in the first sentence.

It was like the earth had been ripped apart, tossed into the air, and then thrown back down again into a crumpled, shadow infested heap.

I added a comma in there.

But all I could think right now was of the cruel injustice that had taken place. Those evil, bloodthirsty demons had turned this place overnight from a paradise upon earth, into a living hell. All those innocent lives gone. Just like that. And all we could do was watch helplessly from behind the wall as they ravaged through the city, killing, destroying. When the wall too, had been shattered, it could only mean one thing. That all traces of life in the city had been swept away. Only once the demons had had their fill, did they lay dormant. Probably assessing their handywork with cruel, bitter grins.

This paragraph has the potential to be really good if you change a few things, I think. Take the comma out after "earth" in the second sentence. Combine the third and fourth sentences into one like this, "All of those innocent lives gone, just like that." Also, put a comma before the word "too" after "wall" and before ", had been shattered". After "it could only mean one thing, put a dash instead of a period and lowercase the word "that". Take out the comma after "fill".

I hope that paragraph wasn't too confusing for you. I'm not really sure how to do extensive editing within the quote.

‘How could they do this?’ I burst, breaking the silence, which had built up around me.

A brief silence followed, until I heard footsteps from behind.

I think this can all be one paragraph. Take out the commas after the word "silence" and after the word "followed". Also, you are using single quotes when people are talking. You should be using double quotes like this (").

I turned to the 9 year old, as she walked across from our home, a simple, two-story house.

Change the number 9 to the word "nine". I would recommend changing the whole sentence to this: I turned to the nine-year-old as she walked across from our home, which was a simple, two-story house.

It was the only place I’d known my entire life.

In all my scrambled heap of emotions, I couldn’t help but to conjure a sad smile.

Take out the word "all".

kicking a spiral of dust into the air, before looking up once more ‘what we gonna do now?’

Take out the comma after the word "air". Commas seem to be your big issue, really.

I shuddered, and looked away quickly.

Take out the comma.

After a few moments, he sensed my gaze, and turned to walk over.

Take out the comma after gaze. I added one in for you as well. Also, I think when you described Tay, you sort of info-dumped. But you didn't do it with all of your other characters, so with this one exception it might be okay.

I opened my mouth to argue, but Crissie got there before me.

Try "but Crissie beat me to it" instead.

Whaaat?’ She gasped, reaching forward and grabbing his arm. Her eyes were fuelled with terror ‘With those things down there?’

Combine the phrase "her eyes fuelled with terror" with the sentence before it. Replace the period with a comma and lowercase the word "her." Also, put a period after terror.

‘Crissie’s right,’ I echoed, ‘I’d advise you didn’t, unless, of course, you have a death wish.’

his forehead crumpled in frustration,

Capitalize "his" and change to a period at the end.

I gasped, as realisation flooded through me.

Take out the comma, and "realisation" should be "realization".

‘Hey, guys!’ called a voice from behind, distracting us momentarily from this realization. It was Russ, his curly blonde hair swaying in the wind as he ran over. A vastly over fall rucksack lined his back, and as he ran, random cans of food and books came tumbling out.

The word "blonde" does not need an "e" at the end, I don't think. Although I could be wrong. And what is a "vastly over fall rucksack"? I assume it means a rucksack, but what do the words vastly over fall mean? Do you mean vastly overfilled? I also don't think you need the word "random".

Let’s get outta this hell hole already!’ he grinned excitedly, ‘finally we’re free, we could go anywhere! Even.. uh.. Hawaii! Oh, we could even go to France and eat baguettes!’

Put a period after the word "excitedly" and capitalize "Finally". Take out the comma after "free" and put a period and capitalize "we". Otherwise, I really like this guy.

‘Thousands of innocent people have just died’ I glared at him angrily, ‘and you just care about bread?’

Put a period after "angrily" instead of a comma. Capitalize "And".

‘They’re the ones that locked us up, and they’re the ones that wanted to kill us! Who’s side are you-’

Or you could make that two separate sentences. Otherwise, you have a run-on.

Russ gasped in shock as he, too, came to the realisation.

I've already pointed it out twice, so I'll let you guess what's spelled wrong in there.

With a sudden urgency, I began to tug at my bracelet. I had to know the reason. I had to know why the four of us had been locked up, from the moment we were born.

Also, take out the comma after "locked up".

I struggled with the bracelet,

upwards

Take off the "s".

to try and control it.

And, last but not least, change the word "and" to "to".

So, now I'm through ripping your piece apart. It took me awhile, too, and I only spent so much time on it because I think it has real potential if you just give it a chance. The storyline seems great, though! Also, I didn't check, but did you rate this story as anything? I never check to see and then sometimes end up regretting it. I noticed that you cursed once, so I was just wondering. Maybe you did and I didn't notice, but if you didn't, you probably need to give it a pg or something.

Good luck with the rest of this! I'll be on the lookout for more!

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:21 pm
Autumn says...

really? thankyou very much! ^^

I'll go make the edits, pretty sure fuelled is spelt with 2 L's though?

onceuponatim3xo wrote a review...

Wow!! :shock:

This was REALLY good!!!

I loved it! Although, I think that you should put an adjective in front of when you say "The wall" (so that you explain what type of wall it is, is it cement, wooden, drywall, or glass?)

(For this Part)

The wall, which had imprisoned me my whole life, now lay shattered upon the trembling grass.

There were only two grammar mistakes that I'd spotted:

Her eyes were fuelled with terror

I'm not sure, but I think fueled has one L

I'd advice you didn't

It's advise in this context

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye