z

Young Writers Society



For sale, one lifetime, poor condition.

by Authorian


For sale, fifteen memories, dating, break-up not included.

For sale, one memory, victory.

For sale, four hundred and seventy-two memories, lifetime.

The list went on and on. Hundreds of memories for sale, to the commen public, and, more often, to the billionares who have nothing better to do than experience another lifetime. If you choose to sell a memory, you’ll forget it forever, and you get fifty percent of the sales earnings.

The Memory Center always has lines and lines of people, from poor to poorer, trying to get a few pennies for there memories. The happy ones sell better, but some of the sad ones do as well.

“Welcome to the Memory Center. How can I help you?” The lady behind the counter adressed the next person in line in a routine fasion.

The girl shifted uneasily from foot to foot. “I’d like to make a sale.” She said.

“Who will it be paid out to?” The lady asked, tapping on her screen.

“The Kendricks, we live downtown.” The girl replied.

“Is this them?” The lady asked, showing the girl a picture of a small family on the screen.

The girl nodded.

“What memory will you be selling today dear?”

“Um, all of them please.”

The lady looked at her steadily. “Are you sure? You’ll be reduced to a state of emptiness, and we won’t be able to take you back to your family.”

“No matter, I want to forget.” The girl said with a slight smile.

The lady nodded. “Alright then, here.” She handed the girl a small disk. “Place that on your head, whereever is fine.” The girl obeyed, and braced herself.

A wave seemed to wash over her body. She looked at the lady and tilted her head. “Where am I?” She asked, the lady reached up and took the disk from her head.

“The Memory Center dear, thank you for your sale. Please leave.”

“What’s my name?” The girl ask, her eyes filling with tears.

“I don’t know.” The lady replied, averting her eyes.

“Where should I go?” The girl asked, breathing fast and looking around.

“The library, I’d reckon.” The lady replied. “That’s where they normally go.” The girl turned to leave. “Oh, and dear? Pick a good one.” The girl nodded and walked out, wandering down the street till she came to the library.

She went in, and an old man at the front desk smiled at her. “Hello, how can I help you?”

The girl blinked back tears. “The lady...” She took in a deep breath and looked around. “The lady behind the desk told me to come here.”

“I see.” The man smiled sadly.

“Sh-She told me to pick a good one.”

The man picked up a disk from the counter, and set it on her head. “Here, this should do love, and I’m so sorry.” The girl sat on a bench, and then placed the disk on her head. Memories of a perfect life, of love, and adventure, and a suitable end flooded her brain. Sitting there and staring into space, she laughed and talked for several hours, then her eyes rolled into the back of her head.

The next morning, the Collection Team came and took all the people sitting on the benches of the library to be burned.

And, somewhere downtown, a small, poor family, wept. For the temporary fullness of their bellies would never be worth the price.

For sale, one lifetime, poor condition.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 54
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:26 pm
ChocolateLlama wrote a review...



Wow. What go me the most is that I can totally imagine this being a part of everyday life in the future. While I was reading I was reminded of books like Ready Player One, or The Eye Of Minds, because it just seemed to happen and flow so casually. I could see this being an entire book someday. Really, really good job. The only thing I see wrong is a spelling error which can easily be fixed. Keep up the good work!




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 501
Reviews: 9

Donate
Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:03 pm
TrueFantasy wrote a review...



Hi there! I'm a huge fan of science fiction based writing so this work definitely drew my attention.

Because you have created a slightly different and unfamiliar world, perhaps you could have further described the atmosphere simply because the reader may want to feel like they are almost in that environment and makes an easier connection with the reader.

Characters are what make the story therefore a more elaborate description of the main character would have been better, again to strengthen the connection with the reader. Luckily, she is already interesting because of the decision she has made - to erase all of her memories which is a fundamental one. But perhaps you could mention a flashback which reveals her family and her relationships with the other characters. This will add more depth to your story.

Other than that, the concept is very original and quite haunting but I think it is brilliant!

Keep up the good work and I would love to read anymore of your pieces.
True




User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 6057
Reviews: 83

Donate
Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:17 pm
EscaSkye says...



EDITED

Whoops, sorry. I deleted my original comment because I realized that you posted another version of this which is actually the one you wanted me to look at. Silly me. :P




User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 6057
Reviews: 83

Donate
Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:00 am
EscaSkye wrote a review...



Hey there, Authorian. Happy Review Day!

First, I'd like to say that the title was catchy. When I saw it in the Green Room, I just had to click on it to see how things would go down. I did have an idea of what would happen from when I read the summary, but my curiosity itched and here I am, haha.

That aside, you have an interesting idea here. Memories being sold to the public who wants to experience something else is pretty neat. Imagine, if you were lonely, you could just go to the Memory Center and BAM, no more sad memory, or, if you're on the wealthy side, you could just purchase a happy memory that would take your mind off the sad one. Ooh, what if you wanted to do something but you're not allowed to? Head to the Center and find the one you want. It's an idea which could really be explored. Also, it's pretty interesting how this makes me think of the things people do when they're running low on options. Were you trying to show what may go on when people are backed to a corner with nothing else to hold on to? Because on a more morbid note, to me, the memories here could be considered as a cover up on the reality that sometimes, some people sell some of their organs (kidneys, namely) just to get some money.

Anyway, on to the critique. I'll be nit-picky here, but please be reminded that I only want to help you improve, in case I may rub off as harsh in the following section.

Hundreds of memories for sale, to the commen public, and, more often, to the billionares who have nothing better to do than experience another lifetime.

Okay, there's three problems that I could see in this line. Two of them are the words highlighted in blue. They're both misspelled, but he corrections are simple: just correct them to "common" and "billionaire". The third problem is the use of commas. Here's an article that you may use as reference to when you go over this when you're going to edit.

“I’d like to make a sale.” She said.

All right. "She said" is a dialogue tag, so the period inside the dialogue should be replaced with a comma; once that's done, write the "S" in lowercase. This mistake happens pretty often, so please refer to this article written by Demeter to be guided on the topic of punctuation in dialogue.

“Place that on your head, whereever is fine.”

Whoops! Minor typo. I only erased one of the e's.

I believe the nit-picky parts are done, so let's put them aside. I realized that there is something else bothering me about the story. It's about how the Center operates. Why would the Center let the people who made sales like the girl die? Why couldn't they just bring her back to her family so that they could form new memories with her? From what I can see, she can be retaught everything. It seems very cruel to me. Yes, the girl died with happy memories, but she could have achieved those within a lifetime if she were alive; her family wouldn't have to mourn either by then.

Well, I believe that's about everything. Just go over the whole piece again and you should be good to go. Good luck and keep writing!




Authorian says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
376 Reviews


Points: 16552
Reviews: 376

Donate
Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:54 am
Trident wrote a review...



Hi Authorian, nice story. Here are some of my thoughts:

Titles that appear in the story

It's fun to put the line of a title in the story and it can be powerful. Here it definitely works, but I think you could have an even more powerful title. It just reminds me a little too much of Hemingway's six word story (which may have been an assignment for you?)

For sale, fifteen memories, dating, break-up not included.

For sale, one memory, victory.

For sale, four hundred and seventy-two memories, lifetime.

The list went on and on. Hundreds of memories for sale, to the commen public, and, more often, to the billionares who have nothing better to do than experience another lifetime. If you choose to sell a memory, you’ll forget it forever, and you get fifty percent of the sales earnings.


This beginning that sounds like a sales pitch is lovely. Nice work on that style. I don't normally comment on grammar errors because authors can check that themselves, but the errors are distracting here. Also, if you are going to comment about billionaires using the memories, it would be great to see an example of this, perhaps through the girl's eyes. She could compare a silly billionaire to her poor family.

The Memory Center always has lines and lines of people, from poor to poorer, trying to get a few pennies for there memories. The happy ones sell better, but some of the sad ones do as well.

“Welcome to the Memory Center. How can I help you?” The lady behind the counter adressed the next person in line in a routine fasion.

The girl shifted uneasily from foot to foot. “I’d like to make a sale.” She said.


More spelling errors. You do a lovely job with the exposition and not getting tied down too much.

The lady looked at her steadily. “Are you sure? You’ll be reduced to a state of emptiness, and we won’t be able to take you back to your family.”

“No matter, I want to forget.” The girl said with a slight smile.

The lady nodded. “Alright then, here.” She handed the girl a small disk. “Place that on your head, whereever is fine.” The girl obeyed, and braced herself.


This seems almost too brief. Like maybe it is commonplace in your future and this interaction would be rather short in that setting, but for us in the real world, we think, "What?!? That decision was made too quickly! So for the readers' benefit, you could slow this scene down. It would be suspenseful if you slowly hinted that the girl would sell all her memories and the reader can guess what will happen before it is actually written.

She went in, and an old man at the front desk smiled at her. “Hello, how can I help you?”

The girl blinked back tears. “The lady...” She took in a deep breath and looked around. “The lady behind the desk told me to come here.”

“I see.” The man smiled sadly.

“Sh-She told me to pick a good one.”


This dialogue is good in its simplicity. :)

The man picked up a disk from the counter, and set it on her head. “Here, this should do love, and I’m so sorry.” The girl sat on a bench, and then placed the disk on her head. Memories of a perfect life, of love, and adventure, and a suitable end flooded her brain. Sitting there and staring into space, she laughed and talked for several hours, then her eyes rolled into the back of her head.


There's a little disconnect here as the man probably wouldn't be sorry if he did this dozens of times a day. And also, he probably wouldn't say "I'm sorry" or the people would wonder why. They do have some functional capability, it seems. Someone who says "sorry" to you would make you wonder. You could possibly expand on the memories and give us some images of her new happiness.

The next morning, the Collection Team came and took all the people sitting on the benches of the library to be burned.

And, somewhere downtown, a small, poor family, wept. For the temporary fullness of their bellies would never be worth the price.


This seems strange that there are just a bunch of bodies on the benches. Surely, people would notice that and freak out once they entered. There needs to be an explanation for why the bodies don't scare off the memory-less people who enter the library.

And that last image with the family is okay, but I think it could be more powerful with an example rather than just weeping.

Strong plot, bland world

EternalRain hit on the point that more details could be added and I agree. This is a new world for the readers, but you don't give us any details that could paint a futuristic picture for us. How does the clerk look? What does the library look like? While sometimes authors focus too much on their surroundings, other times they don't focus on it enough. With futuristic sci-fi stories, you have to give a little more detail than normal because the world is rather different. Try to find that balance between too many and too few details.

Nice work! It was fun to read and the style at the beginning where it's almost like an advertisement is great!

Best,
Trident




Authorian says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
173 Reviews


Points: 9984
Reviews: 173

Donate
Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:28 am
donizback wrote a review...



Aha. I ran out of poems to review so I am about to review some short stories! And well, this is something I'd love to spend some time on.
So, should we start? Well, let's go!

I'd like to start up with the title. Well, the title seems pretty good to me. It isn't too vague and is just what it should have been.
But, I think you should have changed it something like "For sale, poor condition, one lifetime!". Don't you think it looks better? Well, at least I think it looks better. haha

About the story, I would just say WOW! That was simply out of this world. What a beauty you! Simply amazing. I cannot even think how you came up with such an amazing idea to write something like this. Well done!
Although there are really very minor grammatical errors here and there which I don't even wanna nitpick! One more thing, please ask someone to proofread your stories before you publish them. It'd help you a lot. (You can even ask me if you want. haha)

Overall, it was really so good. I don't words to describe my feeling after reading this. BUT, the ending could have been better. It was just an average! Given that you were so good throughout the story and became an average at the ending was just a bit painful. But still, it was superb. I loved it.

Keep writing. I am your fan now!




Authorian says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35799
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:25 am
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there Authorian! Niteowl here to leave a quick review on this story.

Overall, I really like the plot. It's a rather original idea, if an extremely scary one.

However, I think it could be a little more fleshed out. The first few lines suggest a Craigslist-style posting for memories, while the transaction itself is more like buying groceries. It seems like the woman would want to assess the memories somehow and use that to set how much she'll pay the family, like a resale shop. Or perhaps she has to wait until there's a buyer, like on eBay or Craigslist.

The library scene is also somewhat illogical. If all her memories are gone, how does the girl still know how to speak the language and where/what the library is?

I think you could up the emotional impact by using imagery. If I was about to sell my memories, I'm pretty sure I'd start going through them one last time, especially the happy/important ones. I would consider adding some of the girl's memories to give us a stronger sense of who she is and what she's giving up.

Overall, this is a really interesting idea, just think about fleshing it out. Keep writing! :)




Authorian says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 69427
Reviews: 456

Donate
Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:10 am
EternalRain wrote a review...



Wow. This was breathtaking. So original. *ahem* Happy Review Day! Let's get this review started. :D

I wanted to begin by - my oh my, what a splendid plot this is! I loves it so, so much. It was engaging, interesting, and just original! Awesome job.

However - I think it was a little short. (Except, that may just be because this was awesome, and I just want moreXD) A little longer would have been amazing, even if you're not adding anymore to the plot, just expanding it, adding more details, imagery, etc.

Also, emotion. Emotion could've been conveyed in this story somewhat better. We've got a tear slipping down the girl's cheek, but what else? I want to feel very bad for her, so write it that way! You can do it. :D

The last thing I wanted to mention: The last line. It just settled everything so smoothly and perfectly. Especially since you started the beginning in a same manner, that last line just was perfect.

I hope this helps!

~ EternalRain - Team Ketchup




Authorian says...


Thanks for the review!




Sometimes poetry is inspired by the conversation entered into by reading other poems.
— John Barton