Dialogue Only Contest Entry

by Auteur

"Kadence, where's Kiyl?"

"How would I know? you're his dad f'chrissakes,"

"Don't play that card again, Kadence. Where is he?"

"I don't know dad, why don't you go see?"

"You little sod, he's your brother. And I'm your father. I'm asking you to go find him, now,"

"Ugh, whatever. He's at the park with these chicks Kelsey and Lia. You wanna go get him? Ruin his chance, huh?"

"Don't be like that. I'll give him till six, then he gets his arse home. Too young to be hanging out at this time, especially around these parts. How old is he now? Twelve, isn't it?"

"He's fourteen, dad,"

"You're not much older, Kadence. So don't give me that attitude,"

"I'm.Seventeen.Dad. And you don't exactly fit the role of perfect parent, do you?"

"Right. I've got things to do. Entertain yourself why don't you."

"Alright, it's past six. Kiyl hasn't come home so I'm going to get him, you stay here in case he decides he wants to rock up after I've left, knowing him probably,"

"Yeah, whatever,"

"Goodbye Kadence,"

"Mmff,"

"And now he's gone. Great. The house to myself. Where's my guitar...,"

"Ah, great. Found it. La da hmm hmm. Yeah...Baby I've got you. You can search for me in the stars, but I won't be hard to miss, yeah. I'll be the big one shining bri-ight, my silky silver in the ni-ight, lookin' out for you. Hmph."

"Just great, dad! I was going to get laid. You ruined it. UGH!"

"Kiyl, go to your room. You're thirteen, you shouldn't even be looking at girls. What happened to your Speedy Racers?"

"I'm fourteen. Half the guys in my grade have already done it. Why do I have to be the holy virgin?"

"Kadence, talk to your brother. I can't deal with him. I can't deal with any of you, you're both ungrateful bastards, you know that?"

"Well you're not fucking perfect yourself, old man,"

"Shut it, Kiyl. Let's go to my room. Let our father get drunk off his arse and sit and wallow in his patheticness,"

"Hah, right. Whatever."

"He's a bloody prick, you know. You should smash him, Kadence. You're bigger than him. We could both take him on. He sucks shit and expects us to clean up his vomit,"

"You're just mad you didn't get laid,"

"Yeah, 'course I am. Dad probably hasn't had any action in years and is just jealous of me,"

"Boys-"

"What,"

"Yeah?"

"Can I talk with you?"

"About what?"

"I dunno, man stuff?"

"Whatever."

"Dad-"

"No, Kadence, please, let me explain. I've been thinking about it and, I know I'm not the best, so what do you reckon you boys leave home to go live with my sister? Your aunt?"

"What?"

"Yeah, what the hell, dad?"

"It's just I am not a great father, I know that. I'm a drunken old man who's not fit to raise kids, and we don't seem to get along any more since-,"

"We never even used to get along, so what the hell?"

"Dad, you hardly know us. Once senior year's finished, I'm gone. Kiyl's a freshman and is gettin' his own life. Don't you reckon it's a bit too late to start trying?"

"It's never to late, Kadence,"

"It is for me, dad,"

"Yeah, dad. You didn't give a shit about us. That's why you made us live with mum, isn't it?"

"No, that's not-,"

"Then when she left, you got dumped with us. Your two teenage boys. Boy, I bet you were ecstatic,"

"That's not-,"

"I miss mum. At least she knew how to-,"

"Boys, please. Shut up and listen. Your mother didn't want me to be around, alright? I watched both of you come out, and I was the first one to hold you two. I love you. Wither you love me or not, I am your father, and I love you both very, very much. But like you said, and I think we both agree, I'm shit. Pathetic, was the word, wasn't it? I can't deal with all this yelling and fighting. I never used to drink this much before you two were given to me,"

"So it's our fault now, huh?"

"No, Kadence-,"

"Ugh, whatever. You want to get rid of us, basically,"

"You just said you loved us, so what the-,"

"I do, Kiyl. I really do, but you just don't seem to...you know, love me, either,"

"Why would we? You're awful! You didn't even go to mum's funeral, what kind of man are you?"

"Kiyl, I couldn't-,"

"It's okay, dad. We love you,"

"Kadence, what-,"

"Kiyl, the past is the past, let it go, learn to accept and move on."

"Okay, whatever. Dad. You're a bastard, sometimes. But...I love you."

-----------------------------------------------

Yeah, basically if you didn't get that: There's two brothers, Kadence(17), who's like an emotional, love struck teen who's tryna keep tough, and Kiyl(14), who's a stressed out kid tryna deal with the problems of growing up, and they live with their dad, who's an alcoholic. Their mother died recently, and they all don't get along, so the point comes when their dad finally snaps and breaks down. Then Kiyl and Kadence admit they love their father, although they don't always particularly like him. Yeah, was that recognizable in the dialogue?

Auteur says...

IIIIIII don't curse...my characters do ;]

And thanks, I'll remove some of it.

Esther Sylvester wrote a review...

I know that this is for a dialogue only contest, just to say that before I start.

REVIEW:

Just to get this off of my chest: You could have cursed so much less and would have still got the idea across. I have yet to meet anyone that curses as much as you do. The guidelines say it is okay to curse, but not use f*** as the most complicated word in your vocabulary. Delete those words and you would have a readable story. You pulled off an interesting plot with only dialogue, so I applaud you for that. The characterization is good, but why does the father not curse that much and his son curses worse than a pirate who stubbed his toe on a hot summer day? Other than that, good job. Write more, and I am sorry if this was harsh but the reality is that it is true.

PS. This is an R rated story, so change it from 16+.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:33 am
Auteur says...

JEEZ Olli! I was being in-character. An angry 14 year old boy. Go-osh. But thanks anyway :)

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:43 am
whatevr says...

I cant believe you used the c word man... thats low. But all in all really good... It seemed a bit choppy in some places, but this being a dialog only contest. Fantastic.

olli

Hail Hydra
— Stan Lee