What is the point of life

by AuroraBlaze

Hi I am a 16 year old girl who is confused about one subject and that subject is life and everything in it. What's the point of it? Why are we here?

Life consists of love romance, pain, regret and every once in while we experience happiness. But what is happiness? Is it when you find 5 bucks of the ground? When you finally kiss that person who you have been dreaming about kissing? When you get a job you have been hoping for? A good grade on a test? What is happiness? I believe everyone finds happiness in a different way; some money, some fame, some pleasure and some just spending time with someone but for me it's nothing. I enjoy nothing more then just sitting in my room on my iPad reading or watching old shit on Netflix. Now your probably thinking Im one of those loser loner people who everyone thinks I'm gonna have a shoot out at my school but sorry you're wrong. I was a cheerleader and basketball player my friends and boys think I'm perfect or at least that's what they tell me, but I don't believe it. Have you ever looked in the mirror and just cry? Well that's how I start off almost every morning of my life. I don't like what I see; I don't like the shaped of my nose or the freckles on it, the color of my skin, the shape of my cheek bones, my stupid chin, my gross washed out hair color and last but not least my hopeless eyebrows. Just one day I want to look in the mirror and love what I see but I guess that's part of life because if you love yourself your considered cocky but if you hate yourself your apparently a depressed suicidal freak. I don't consider my self a freak but I am very depressed person and have thoughts about killing myself. But I just tell myself wait and see how tomorrow goes and that has apparently been working for me because I am still here and I have made it my mission to wing life and just have fun. And one day I will stumble upon to why we are here and the purpose of life because like everyone says there's only one of you and you are original so make your life the best it can be and make it the most original you you can make it out to be. 

Wed May 26, 2021 10:49 am

First Impression: Well...this was quite an interesting read here, its definitely not something I've seen in a story before...and well more details below...

Hmm...well that's quite an interesting little introduction there, well it certainly does immediately introduce what's going to be in this story...and well those questions certainly do seem really interesting, let's see what her answers are I suppose.

That is definitely a very interesting series of answers there to that particular question. I like how you've started out by stating the answers that are most commonly given and sort of establishing a background for the kind of answers that question normally gets. It establishes a sort of baseline for us as the reader to relate to and then also see the uniqueness of the answer of the girl in the story.

And then speaking of that answer, well, that's quite an interesting view that you've created there, by first talking of how the girl expects her friends to think of her there and then revealing exactly the kind of turmoil that is running through her own head about that particular question. And well...that's quite a powerful answer there by her there...she's definitely going through a pretty difficult face in here life but I do like how she's fighting her thoughts and just continuously moving forward hoping for things to get better. Its definitely a lot more inspiring than if she just gave up there.

Overall: Overall, it was an interesting read, definitely makes you think about things quite a lot...well at any rate that's about all I've gotta say for now. :D

Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:58 pm
erilea wrote a review...

AuroraBlaze, I wave hello and welcome you! I encourage you to keep posting...if you have enough points, that is. XD

The reason I clicked on this was the title. While it was one of the subjects that interested me dearly, I also noticed the title was greatly deformed. You need to capitalize every word, every single one. You can't escape the wrath...if there is one. I'm just full of ifs, aren't I? I scanned over this work, which is instantly what I do when I read a piece, and gasped. No literary post should be terrified like this. Cut the sentences! Okay, I just typed that with emphasis. You sound like a loquacious person, trying to get your words out all in the same time, in a foolish attempt. Meaningless, for curt people. I'll click back, not, since I'm talkative too. :D

1) Write out the number. 2) "Of" should be "on".

"Is it when you find 5 bucks of the ground?"

1. "Your" should be "you're". 2. Comma after "school". And after "sorry". 3. Semicolon after "player". 4. "Shaped" should probably be "shape". 5. Again, "your" should be "you're".
"Now your probably thinking Im one of those loser loner people who everyone thinks I'm gonna have a shoot out at my school but sorry you're wrong. I was a cheerleader and basketball player my friends and boys think I'm perfect or at least that's what they tell me, but I don't believe it. Have you ever looked in the mirror and just cry? Well that's how I start off almost every morning of my life. I don't like what I see; I don't like the shaped of my nose or the freckles on it, the color of my skin, the shape of my cheek bones, my stupid chin, my gross washed out hair color and last but not least my hopeless eyebrows. Just one day I want to look in the mirror and love what I see but I guess that's part of life because if you love yourself your considered cocky but if you hate yourself your apparently a depressed suicidal freak. I don't consider my self a freak but I am very depressed person and have thoughts about killing myself. But I just tell myself wait and see how tomorrow goes and that has apparently been working for me because I am still here and I have made it my mission to wing life and just have fun. And one day I will stumble upon to why we are here and the purpose of life because like everyone says there's only one of you and you are original so make your life the best it can be and make it the most original you you can make it out to be."

Your ending was nice, and it overall was messy but good. Keep writing 4eva, AuroraBlaze!

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:40 pm
ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hi! Cricket here for a review!

Well first off, I think you have an idea here, that I like. Even though, some parts I can disagree with, I still find myself liking it. For instance, I hate dressing up, because I feel like it's not me, and I think you were alluding towards this a little. You don't like what you see in the mirror, because people can and will judge you off of that. That' something I can understand and relate too somewhat.

Being somebody who everybody thinks is going to commit suicide or pull out a gun, doesn't mean you're a bad person. Just means that people don't understand you, or that they are seeing things about you that aren't necessary true. For instance, I myself, have always been thought of as an introvert, so I can't really compare to you being a popularish sort of person. But I do think that there is something to being thought of as strange, or suicidal. Being thought of as suicidal is definitely not good, but that doesn't necessarily bad. It just means your life might be harder than others, or people don't understand you completely.

I believe everyone finds happiness in a different way; some money, some fame, some pleasure and some just spending time with someone but for me it's nothing

This is just my personal opinion on it, but I don't think this is necessarily true. For one, I don't think we can find happiness in money or fame. Fame and money are things that pass. True happiness lasts, while money and fame won't. So true happiness can't be truly obtained in this world. Only in the next with God. (A Catholic's view on this XD) So yeah, there's my opinion on it. :D

Just one day I want to look in the mirror and love what I see but I guess that's part of life because if you love yourself your considered cocky but if you hate yourself your apparently a depressed suicidal freak.

Hmm, with this I was a little confused. Do you not like your looks because of what people see you as, or do you not like them because of what you see? What exactly do you consider pretty? Maybe a little bit of clarifying that would help us see your exact emotions and thoughts. Especially in such a dramatic and cool piece such as this. It needs very specific thought process, and in most places you have it down, but not all. This part is one of them.

One more thing I think you could work on is your paragraphing. It was rather hard for me to keep going reading, when this work was one solid paragraph. Try to make your paragraphs one separate idea. So you are talking about your looks, right? Make that one separate paragraph as that is one separate idea from the rest. And the same goes for the rest of the work. XD

OK, and I think that's all for such a fab piece!

~Cricket

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:20 pm
Paulwjlee says...

Happiness?
One of my favorite authors, Kurt Vonnegut, said in many of his speeches about his uncle and his main grippe: that people seldom realize when they are happy or even in a good mood, but people always seem to only acknowledge their gloomy moments.
I will tell you what he has told that helped countless readers: "I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"

Being 16 can be one of the best moments and some of the worst. There are so many social pressures inside high school. But, you will learn some of your most beautiful stories can come from it. Beautiful even if it was a horrible experience. The fact that you will live through those "high school" moments, you should feel somewhat glad about.

Why am I happy?
I'm not actually, but there are hella moments and all those decisions I have made were all in favor of not trying to be happy but merely living a life. And, as Frost said, "and that has made all the difference."

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:46 am
90skids wrote a review...

I think that this piece has a really interesting message. Everyone has, at some point in their life, wondered what the point of it all is. I like the way you've given us your story. There are a couple of grammatical errors in the piece but, I think that they've been picked up by the reviewer below so I won't give you a list of them.
The past where you're telling us about how you don't like what you see is also very interesting. I'm not sure how many people genuinely like everything about them.
One thing I am going to say is that it's not really a short story; it's more like a blog post. I think that, if you want to write this sort of thing, you should put it on a blog where it would make more sense rather than titling it as a short story.
I really like this piece and all the emotions which come with it.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:38 am

Welcome to YWS, I'm alliyah here to review your piece. This is an interesting piece, it seems more like a journal entry or essay than a short story though. A short story normally has more than one character and some sort of plot.

Grammar/Wording
Caught a few grammar issues:

here "of" should be "off".

"When you finally kiss that person who you have been dreaming about kissing? "
This isn't a sentence even if you put a question mark at the end. But I guess since this is more "stream of consciousness" writing it may be alright, just not grammatically correct. "who" should be "whom" though.

" I believe everyone finds happiness in a different way; some money, some fame, some pleasure and some just spending time with someone but for me it's nothing. I enjoy nothing more then just sitting in my room on my iPad reading or watching old shit on Netflix. "
This is a little contradictory you enjoy nothing but you do enjoy doing things..? Also "then" should be "than". Also here you used a swear word, so please mark the rating higher because sometimes young kids go on YWS and need to know which pieces have bad language and such. It might be easier to just change "sh**" to "stuff". :)

"Now your probably thinking Im one of those loser loner people "
here "Im" should have an apostrophe and "your' should be "you're".

"I don't consider my self a freak but I am very depressed person"
here "my self" should be one word and you need the word "a" between "very" & "depressed".

There were quite a few grammar mistakes and I didn't put all of them. In the future you may want to reread your work first, because it can make readers scared and frustrated to read your work if it's littered with mistakes. It doesn't take long to reread and edit a piece before you post and it shows the readers you care about their reading experience. Don't sweat it to much though! We all have misspellings once in a while just try to edit a little more diligently next time. Also even just reading your piece out loud can help you catch those little mistakes.

Literary suggestions
Just so you know YWS also has a blog entry place, which is somewhere where you can post your feelings or life stories without people reviewing it for grammar... :)

I would suggest breaking this up a little bit into more paragraphs to make it more accessible to read.

Also you're sort of all over the place in the conclusion, which is maybe what you wanted, but was a little jumbled to read.

Personal Analysis

I cannot tell if this piece is autobiographical or not so forgive me if I'm wrong in assuming that is about you. And if it really isn't about you please just ignore the rest of my review.

First off, I am sorry that you feel depressed sometimes, do not think for a moment that you are a freak. Depression is just like other sicknesses and illnesses and should not be given a stigma of being "freakish". If you are seriously considering suicide I don't know you well enough to personally advise you, but you should let someone close to you know and maybe seek counseling.
http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/gethelp Here's a website if you need an online resource.

Your question in this piece is "what is the point of life" and I can tell you that it definitely isn't about appearances and what other people think of you. Try to focus on things you enjoy and the people from family and friends who you love. At the end of the day most people won't remember you because of what your eyebrows look like! But will base their opinions of you on how you treat them and others.

Closing Remarks
Sorry if this any of this review was harsh or hurtful, everything I say is just trying to assist.
If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me and I wish you good luck in all of your future writing and in your life.

~alliyah

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:29 am
Unique says...

Love it.

Just fix the two you's in the last sentence.:)

No one achieves anything alone.
— Leslie Knope