z

Young Writers Society



Untitled, Chapter Two

by Attolia


When Jacqueline arrived back at the house, she found Adele seated, looking at her copy of Thus Spoke Zarathustra in the sitting room. Adele looked up as she approached.

“Ah, you’re finally back.”

Jacqueline slowed until she was a few yards in front of her. “I picked up your dress from the shop. Sarah has it now.”

Adele half-smiled in forced acknowledgement. “And your aunt and uncle are fine I presume?”

“They seemed so, yes.”

“Well I’m glad, that’s our pleasantries done. I told Marie to prepare supper outside again this evening – it should be ready soon.” She stood up, placing the book on a nearby table. “We have the Spanish red that René brought from Valencia,” she said as she strolled out of the room.

A short while later they were sitting across from each other at a small circular table, on the patio behind the rear drawing room. The patio faced out onto the grassy lawn, overgrown with bushes and vines that raced up the legs of crumbling neoclassic statues.

They sat in silence, both looking out at the yard before them. The muggy summer air sank down upon them, but the evening had rid it of its worst heat, leaving behind a pleasant warmth. The bay breeze occasionally blew in, traces of salt in the air. 

Jacqueline took another sip of wine and heard Adele’s voice in the slight breeze. “So, you’ve finished Nietzche. Do you agree that God is dead?”

“Pah,” she replied, not ready to leave the warm air and coos of wood pigeons. 

“If God is dead, why do you continue to go to mass every Sunday?”

“Every Sunday that I attend with you, do you mean?” She took a sip from her glass. They had finished their salad and were waiting for Marie to bring them the main dish. “He writes about much more, why do you have to focus on religion?”

“That’s all anyone in society believes he said, why shouldn’t we address the topic?” Adele languidly took a breath of cigarette and continued gazing out over the overgrown garden. “I know you. You’re too conventional to give up your rosary beads and worldview, no matter what reason and logic some writer can put to a page.”

“But the Church, the institutions in place---“

“Every culture has created its own raison d'etre for man, you know that Jacqueline,” she said, continuing to speak at the same time that Jacqueline had started and stopped. “Oh the Church, you say? The Church with a capitalized “C”? The Vatican which gives breath to princes and partakes in the familial wars which used to ravage the continent, on top of their tithes which drown the peasant in debt?” Adele smiled at her and took a slow sip of wine.

Jacqueline took a cigarette from Adele’s intricately-decorated box and lit it with her lighter. She inhaled and released the smoke in a long, controlled breath, matching her companion’s calmness.

“I’m only saying,” Jacqueline started, “the church is part of our culture. It’s tied to our society. Every mass we go to, every Hail Mary we chant,” she paused, finding the words. “...can be found on the lips of our ancestors. What does it matter if he exists or not? Is another atheist philosopher worth the sacrifice of our history, the culture that ties us to our forbearers?” She inhaled from her cigarette. “It doesn’t matter to me whether God exists.”

Adele smiled, her eyes amused, as Marie opened the door to the patio, hands full with two trays of a chicken and courgette dish that Jacqueline smelled before she saw. “I suppose I’ll accept that for now,” she said as Marie stood between them, clearing room on the table for their dishes. Adele ignored the older woman - Jacqueline thanked and excused her.

The soft thud of the door closing behind Marie reverberated in the garden, mixing with wood pigeons’ coos and the rustle of leaves in the breeze. The sun had faded beyond the white-brick walls that marked the property, but the evening sky remained light – a grey-blue which mixed indistinguishably into the heat.

After they had eaten for a few minutes, Adele set down her knife and fork, exchanging them for her glass. “And Girard, what does he say of the God you refuse to forsake? Does he want to marry you in a church?” she asked, offhandedly.

Jacqueline tried to suppress any warmth in her cheeks and looked at her companion in annoyance. Adele’s eyes met hers with an expression that said “so?” and Jacqueline exhaled, lightly. Adele brushed her dark hair out of the way as she reached for the bottle of wine. She took Jacqueline’s near-empty glass and refilled it generously, passing it back to her with the words “it seems like you need some more.”

Jacqueline took the glass and drank – the other girl had chosen the bottle well; it was a perfect wine for the night, light and fruity but not too sweet, refreshing in the warmth yet not without substance. She closed her eyes and let the summer evening surround her. After a few moments, her mind drifted to Girand. She did enjoy his company, and thought he felt the same. Though Adele’s marriage comment was obviously too much, she did at times wonder – had known each other longer – if they would be compatible... 

The breeze rustled her hair and she slowly opened her eyes, still feeling relaxed. The sounds of birds, the warm summer evening. The wine, Marie’s delicious supper, the overgrown garden. Even her dark-haired companion, who seemed equally at ease, blowing cigarette smoke and gazing out onto the garden statues. She decided to appease her. “I’ve no idea about what Girand truly believes. I’m sure he goes to mass every Sunday - you know as well as I do that we saw him there last week.”

Adele looked away from the garden. “So no church wedding anytime soon, then?” she asked with the hint of a smirk.

Jacqueline slowly picked her fork through her remains of chicken and courgette. “In September, I believe. Your cousin is marrying that Mercier girl in Lyon.”

Adele gave a short laugh, the laugh of a beautifully practiced voice, a sound which melted into the haze. “Alright, dearest. But you know, he is wealthy and sensible. You could do far worse… if you wanted him, you could be happy,” she said, as her gaze returned to the garden.

“I’ve known him for two weeks,” Jacqueline replied. Her cigarette had gone out, but she didn’t feel like lighting it again. She didn’t need the smoke. “He’s leaving town soon anyway. What about your latest admirer? Doesn’t his uncle own some department stores?”

“Ah yes, darling Moraeu. He’s becoming a bore, but really, he’s always been.” She pressed the stub of her cigarette into the ashtray, extinguishing it. “I’ll be glad to get out of Nice and back to civilization. How tragic that your intended is leaving. Do you think we shall him in Paris?”

Ignoring the reference, Jacqueline shook her head. “No, no, he’s going to Corsica. He’s to leave this weekend and doesn’t know how long he’ll have to stay.”

“Pity, my dear,” Adele drawled, lighting another cigarette. “You should write that God of yours a letter.”

Jacqueline grimaced. They sat in silence for a while longer, drinking the Spanish red and smoking overly expensive cigarettes, as the sky faded into a darker blue. Part of Jacqueline existed nowhere but in that garden, in the evening warmth, while another part of her hosted vague visions of the future – whether her future, Adele’s future, or their combined future, she didn’t know.

The sound of an opening door interrupted the trance. Marie walked toward them and Adele looked at her with obvious disgust; it was a bit too soon for her to come for their dishes. “Yes?” she asked pointedly.

The housekeeper attempted a smile. “Pardon, Mademoiselle, but your father and Monsieur Bellard have just arrived from Marseilles. They’re in the drawing room now.”

Merci. You may take all this then.She waved a hand across the various contents sprawled across the table.

Slightly sleepy, Jacqueline watched the other girl as she remained seated, continuing to blow smoke out at the garden. Marie waited a moment and then began to pick up dishes; Adele turned her head sharply to the noise and threw the woman an annoyed look as she stood up. Following suit, Jacqueline rose, thanking Marie before they walked back into the house.

They walked together through the lower level of the house into the drawing room. The two men were standing near an open window on the far side of the room, talking to each other with glasses of absinthe in hand, as a mild breeze rustled the curtains behind them. They stopped talking at the girls’ approach. Monsieur DuPont, a tall man with the same dark hair and strong features as his daughter, smiled his oily, aristocratic smile at them both. Monsieur Bellard, perhaps a decade older than DuPont, looked on them more impassively. His hair was completely grey and he was of average height and slightly stout, but observing him, Jacqueline felt a bit wary. The way he stood, upright and proud, and the crease on his brow seemed to challenge her to mistake his age or size for insignificance. 

They exchanged the usual greetings and DuPont introduced Bellard to Jacqueline, his “dear ward.” Jacqueline smiled, curtsied, and joined Adele in asking about the cause of their unexpected arrival and the state of the roads. Tired and slightly drunk, she only half-listened, smiling and nodding when required. 

It was getting late and before long Adele gave her an out, commenting, “Dear god, Jacqueline, you look like you’re about to fall over.”

Jacqueline began to murmur an apology but Adele stopped her. “Go off to bed. We’ll talk in the morning and plan for our journey north.” 

Adele’s father agreed. “Yes, dear girl, don’t mind us. We won’t keep you up with more chatter about the roads from here to Marseilles,” he said, smiling. Bellard nodded at her as well, and she gratefully took leave of them. She walked through the halls and up the staircase to her room, yawning and trying not to think of Girand.

Back in the drawing room, the atmosphere changed once she left. The conversation lost momentum and Bellard narrowed his eyes at father and daughter. At a lull in the conversation, he walked across to the far side of the room, ostensibly to look at the bookcases there, putting himself out of earshot. DuPont and his daughter walked to some armchairs near the window. He refilled his glass of absinthe and offered Adele a glass as they sat down. She refused, and smiled. “Your friend doesn’t think I’d be comfortable speaking in front of him.”

DuPont looked to his associate, whose hands were skimming the rare titles displayed on the bookshelf. “And would you be?”

She shrugged impassively. “He already knows your methods.”

“He’s discreet is all.”

“I think,” she said, smiling again, “he can’t be bothered with me.” DuPont smiled thinly in reply. “But he’ll gladly take my information.”

Her father took a sip from his glass. “Well, then, make yourself useful,” he replied, and looked at her expectantly.

She leaned back in her chair and spoke slowly. “As you’ll see in the Annals, Moreau is wonderfully oblivious, especially to the value of his mines.”

He looked back at her, satisfied. “And he wants to sell quickly?”

“Yes. He believes Belland wants the land for its location, as you’ve suggested. He’ll pretend to also value the land for that, to get a good price, but he’s impatient for the money so that he can invest in his uncle’s new department stores, which are opening up here and in Marseilles. Act hesitant and he’ll bring it down."

DuPont smiled broadly. “Anything else?”

She slowly shook her head. “That’s it for Moreau.”

“Excellent,” he said, and then looked at her more intently once her word choice resonated. She sat languidly in the large armchair, her dark hair falling against the red fabric, as white moonlight fell from the window behind her. Dimmed yellow light from a lamp in front of her lit up her face, and he couldn’t tell if she looked bored or satisfied. He supposed it was usually a bit of both.

“You can leave Nice whenever you wish,” he continued. “What else?”

“Paris in the summer… a frenzy of shopping tourists, plebs from across the country and continent, stifled air.” She let apathy drip from her words. 

He said nothing as he waited for her other news, but after a moment of silence he spoke. “Go wherever you want for a few weeks. Take some relative, Jacqueline, a few maids,” he offered. “Cut your self-pity, my dear, it won’t get you anywhere.” 

Adele looked at him, unaffected. “Maybe we’ll go to Corsica. Girand will be there by the end of the week, for an indefinite amount of time. He has business there and doesn’t know how long it will keep him… at least, so he tells the girl he begins to love.”

Her father’s eyes were bright. “So he’s definitely involved,” he mused and looked over to his associate by the bookshelves. Bellard had stopped feigning interest in the titles and was looking over at them. “Well done, Adele,” he said with emphasis. 

She started to stand. “Your friend wants to talk, now that I’ve been useful,” she said, staring back at the man across the room.

“He’ll be pleased with this, as am I,” he said as he stood. He looked at his daughter. “You’ll go back to Paris next week?”

“Yes.”

They had begun to walk across the room to Bellard when DuPont stopped, again struck by his daughter’s phrasing. “’The girl he begins to love’?” he quoted and turned to look at her.

She turned her face to him and smiled innocently. “Your dear, gracious ward, father.”

He shook his head incredulously and they continued across the room. Adele went upstairs after saying said goodnight to Bellard, and the two men adjourned to DuPont’s study to talk.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sun May 29, 2016 10:38 pm
View Likes
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi Attolia! Niteowl here to (finally) review this chapter for Team Granger this fine Review Day! I did read the first chapter, but I'll focus my review efforts here as you requested.

When Jacqueline arrived back at the house, she found Adele seated, looking at her copy of Thus Spoke Zarathustra in the sitting room. Adele looked up as she approached.


The repetition of "looked" is kind of annoying here. I would use a stronger verb for how she's looking at the book...is she casually flipping through/skimming it, or is she actually reading it, for example?

A short while later they were sitting across from each other at a small circular table, on the patio behind the rear drawing room. The patio faced out onto the grassy lawn, overgrown with bushes and vines that raced up the legs of crumbling neoclassic statues.


No comma needed in the first sentence, and I believe you need to capitalize Neoclassic. This could also be combined with the next paragraph (I'm usually all about short paragraphs, but they both feel like similar description to me).

Jacqueline took another sip of wine and heard Adele’s voice in the slight breeze. “So, you’ve finished Nietzche. Do you agree that God is dead?”


I had trouble keeping track of who was talking in this segment, primarily because you used Jacqueline's name first, I think. Personally, I would make it more clear that Adele is talking here. Maybe you could rearrange it like this: "Adele watched Jacqueline turned another sip of wine and asked...". Or even just have the dialogue, followed by "Adele asked." Then it would be more clear who's saying what.

“the church is part of our culture.


I feel like Church should be capitalized here, since you're continuing to talk about the institution.

After a few moments, her mind drifted to Girand.


You mean Girard, right? Just a small typo there.

Though Adele’s marriage comment was obviously too much, she did at times wonder – had they known each other longer – if they would be compatible...


Another typo there.

“I’ve no idea about what Girand truly believes.


You've used Girand twice now, so I'm not really sure which is correct and which is the typo.

Do you think we shall him in Paris?”


Another missing word, probably "see".

Overall, this is an interesting beginning to a story. You have some solid characters and a good beginning to a plot. Although I was ridiculously late to getting to this, I would like to hear about any future chapters you post. Keep writing, Schadenfreude and Fahrvergnügen, and remember, Wingardium LeviOHsa! ;)




Attolia says...


Thanks so much niteowl! I'm so dyslexic with some of those mistakes at the end. And will definitely work on the things you noticed in the beginning... thank you again! (Sorry, have kind of lost energy with this, or would give you a better reply... but when I pick it up again I'll appreciate your review even more! And will definitely let you know if/when I post future chapters! ) :)



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:36 am
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Haiiii

Specifics

1.

When Jacqueline arrived back at the house, she found Adele seated, looking at her copy of Thus Spoke Zarathustra in the sitting room. Adele looked up as she approached.


Your writing is good but sometimes I feel you could slip a little extra description in without too much trouble. Like here I want to know how Adele sits because it will tell me how to picture the scene but also about her character. I'm not good at explaining how to do this but basically replace the ordinary words with words which are the same meaning but also a descriptor. Some examples below:

When Jacqueline arrived back at the house, she found Adele in the sitting room, curled around a battered copy of Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

When Jacqueline arrived back at the house, she found Adele in the sitting room, legs crossed at the ankles and holding her pristine copy of Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

I also flipped the syntax because I think the book she's reading is more significant than which room of the house she's in and it's more natural to write it the other way because you enter a room before you see who's in it. Little changes like this are what will really polish your novel.

2.
Jacqueline slowed until she was a few yards in front of her. “I picked up your dress from the shop. Sarah has it now.”
I think that should be a comma between shop and Sarah instead - it would flow more nicely - and rather than describing Jacueline's movement in this line, I'd be more interested in her emotional state. Is she pleased to be delivering this news to Adele or does she feel rather apathetic? I hope you'll forgive me using an example again but I'm not really sure how else to show you what I mean:

Jacqueline drifted toward Adele but avoided entering her personal bubble.

This gives the sense that Jacqueline feels comfortable around Adele - she doesn't run or hesitate - but is also respectful of her.

3.
Jacqueline took a cigarette from Adele’s intricately-decorated box and lit it with her lighter. She inhaled and released the smoke in a long, controlled breath, matching her companion’s calmness.
Telling us the box is intricately decorated doesn't give us much of a sense of what it looks like. You could have Jacqueline briefly get lost in tracing the wing of a heron and trying to work out how it curls into the tail of a fox sitting in the branches above. Obviously that may not be the kind of design you had in mind but intricate can mean almost anything!

4. The differentiation between how the two ladies react to Marie is lovely.

5.
Though Adele’s marriage comment was obviously too much, she did at times wonder – had known each other longer – if they would be compatible...
This is a little awkwardly phrased - maybe take another look?

6.
“Ah yes, darling Moraeu. He’s becoming a bore, but really, he’s always been.” She pressed the stub of her cigarette into the ashtray, extinguishing it. “I’ll be glad to get out of Nice and back to civilization. How tragic that your intended is leaving. Do you think we shall see him in Paris?”


7.
He shook his head incredulously and they continued across the room. Adele went upstairs after saying said goodnight to Bellard, and the two men adjourned to DuPont’s study to talk.


Overall

This is a pretty chapter and while it's slow to start, I think there's enough of interest by the end to keep me reading. Perhaps you could spice the beginning up though - maybe with a little foreshadowing here and there. The red wine seems like a good chance for Jaqueline to perhaps comment as she gets tipsy that it seems like blood. In fact, I really want Jacqueline's departure to be more tense and interesting in general. She has spent the evening drinking and talking about a man she's about to lose, perhaps for good. That can put a person in an unusual mood and I wouldn't mind seeing hints of that slipping through.

It could also alarm Adele's father and you could have a brief dialogue like, 'Does she know anything?' 'Only that the wine is red and so is blood. Be calm, father, she knows nothing.'

In general I think a little could be trimmed off the start of this chapter - does Adele need to be in the sitting room when Jacqueline arrives and for us to have that brief sentence about dinner or could she be outside already and we can start from Jacqueline following her out after dinner. If there's any significance to her dress being with Sarah, I'm sure that line can be carried over, but otherwise it's an extra name drop we don't need.

Sorry if I got a bit rambly!

~Heather




Attolia says...


Hey hey,

Thank you!! When I first read your review while half-asleep this morning, my first thought was something to the effect of how incredible it is that such a website exists where one can get this level of professional feedback, and for free at that.

When I write (which is a very slow process, and not so much because I'm conscientious so much as that I'm just lazy), I often fuss over certain things for so long, that eventually I'm like "okay just post it already" and then I end up completely overlooking some lines that I changed quickly -- one or two of which you totally caught me on. I really appreciate your feedback.

I completely get what you mean about adding more description with your examples of how Adele is sitting -- I noticed myself how my narration can be sort of detached and clinical. And while I do like the idea of an emotionless narration for certain parts, it does often feel TOO removed to me. So yeah, I'm going to greedily eat up your advice and examples concerning that. I haven't written for many years, which is bad in one sense, but good in another -- I'm hoping I won't have the weight of bad habits and that I can mold myself anew. Especially for things that you caught like "the intricately-decorated box" -- I'm hoping my 19-year-old self would have shuddered at that.

And I also see what you mean about trimming off certain parts and foreshadowing a bit more. I really like your example of the red wine symbolizing blood. I'll have to play with things and see how I can get this more tense.

Thank you again for this amazing review! Really appreciate it x



Rydia says...


No problem! The best thing about YWS is that the longer it exists, the better the advise gets because people who came to the site when they were 13 get good advise and (theoretically) are better writers at 18 than the people who first gave them that advice were and are therefore giving even better advise to the new group of 13 year olds (or that's how it works in my head anyway).

Coming back to writing at 19 with a fresh head is also good and in all honesty, I'm still learning at 26 and I've written poetry much more than I've written prose so I'm very much in the 'use your words to the maximum efficiency' camp.

I also tend to throw work up here before I'm one hundred percent happy with it because sometimes the critique you gets helps you shape the writing differently and then all your polishing in those areas is semi wasted. Getting the shape and the feel of the novel right is top priority at this stage :)



Attolia says...


For sure, yeah YWS seems pretty amazing in that regard, and it's cool to watch it evolve over the years. And it's interesting to see people age with it, which probably not many foresaw happening at the beginning.

Haha sorry -- I should have provided more context to my last reply, which I wrote late at night and after a glass of wine. I'm actually 24 years old now, but I haven't written regularly since I was about 19. So I think I was trying to say something to the effect of, I hope my old (but younger), in-shape writing self wouldn't have made some of those palm-on-forehead mistakes. But yes, I'm hoping that I'll have a fresh writing head still!

And to your last point -- exactly!! I don't want to over-polish a certain paragraph and then get feedback that I should scrap the whole thing anyway.

And thanks again! I don't know when I'll ever write the next chapters, but I really appreciate that I can count on getting helpful feedback from you and Skins. :) Happy weekend and review day!!



Rydia says...


That makes sense! I go in and out of phases of writing as well and I think even when we're not consciously novel writing, our style still adapts slightly or we pick up small things from the books we've read during that time. But it does give us a chance to actually stop and think about those things and decide which we want to go with and which aren't really our style.

Happy weekend to you as well! And review day xD



User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:15 pm
View Likes
Sins wrote a review...



How dare you post the second chapter of this without telling me *tuts*

I'm worried this will make me sound like a patronising mother, but I'd suggest conjuring up a temporary title to give this, just because you've got more of a chance of people being like oooo, that sounds interesting. Leaving things untitled can be a bit of a turn off, and even if it's something horrendously cliche and silly, in my opinion, it's better than nothing!

Anywho, onto the actual review!

Adele smiled, her eyes amused, as Marie opened the door to the patio, hands full with two trays of a chicken and courgette dish that Jacqueline smelled before she saw.


Okay, I'm really hungry right now and this isn't helping.

I don't think I told you this in my last review, but your writing is so pretty. By that, I mean it reads very smoothly and you have some really wonderful descriptions. Everything just feels so slick and sophisticated, y'know? It's a very good thing, is what I'm getting at. I'm really liking Adele's character too because while you've made her uber mysterious, it's not so mysterious to the point that there's no attachment. She's super sassy, and I love that. On the technical side of things, I can't really fault you because your grammar and all that is good to go, and I love the way you write your dialogue and all that jazz.

Critiquing is going to be a struggle, not gonna lie here. Honestly, there's only one thing that's really bothering me, and it's likely to be the only thing I mention. I'm so useful, I know. Basically, things do feel a bit slow at the moment. I'm not saying you need to make something explode or anything, but I kind of want something to happen. Up until now, all we've really seen are characters having conversations. It's great conversation, and you write it well, but it's a tad... boring at times. This is the second chapter here, so I'm hardly going to berate you for this, but because novel openings are so crucial in enticing your readers, they've gotta have some jazz to them.

Batter me over the head if I'm grossly incorrect, but Adele ends up being a killer, right? I'm not sure if I'm remembering, or if it's just me guessing from hints... If that is the case, heck, that's super interesting. I'm not saying to have her go around murdering people front right and centre from the get go, but those kinds of elements will attract readers. Play up on that. Even a bit of foreshadowing can be strong enough to nab readers, make suggestions that she dapples in murder, amp up the mystery, throw in some suspense somewhere. Just experiment, really. I guess this kind of relates to what I said in my last review about not being afraid to go over the top. Err, has this made any sense?

Um, so yeah. I can't think of anything else. I mean, that's definitely a good sign on your part because it means that I can't find many flaws in what you've got here, but it makes me feel like a useless little sprog. Hopefully I have been of some use anywho, even if just a little bit! You know where to find me if you have any questions or comments regarding this :) Oh, and let me know when you post the next chapter this time, you little swine (heh, that rhymed).

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins




Attolia says...


Ey ey ey,

You're the best, still. Seriously, I have a friend crush on you. I meant to tell you and Heather that I posted this/ I was going to tell you today or tomorrow, I was just distracted slash like didn't know whether to tag you guys or like what medium to bug you on slash felt bad about bugging you again? Hehe I will definitely let you know when I post the next chapter, if I ever end up writing it.

I agree with the title bit!! I'm just stubborn, like "I'm not gonna think of a title before I'm ready just for the sake of The Young Writers Society." Like I don't want a temporary title to bias me later on?? But I know that you're right. (A. titles change throughout the process anyway, and B. I'm gonna have to think hard about a title eventually, anyway, if I ever want it to go anywhere.) Also I feel that anything I come up with will sound stupid, or worse, pretentious.

And I see what you mean about it being slow/boring. I think I'm biased by my earlier attempt, where I had like a decent YWS following who simultaneously gave me amazingly helpful feedback and advice, and also stroked my vanity with their interest in my story. So now I'm unconsciously thinking like "well people in the past thought this was interesting, so of course people now will love it too and be SOO interested in A/J, they'll read about them now with the same interest I have in them." But the only reason people were interested then was because it was exciting then!! I need to make it exciting from the beginning again. I don't want to have Adele killing people yet though, but I totally see what you mean how I could foreshadow things more, or at least make things more tense. Your feedback is super helpful, and thank you for the (as yet, undeserved) compliments. I'll try to be over the top in the next chapter!! (I wrote this one before I had your and Heather's feedback.)

Thank you again, more than I can say! xx



Sins says...


You better end up writing the next chapter, or I may have to kill you.

But no, it's my pleasure! I enjoy reading this, so have no complaints being bugged about it at all. I get you on the title thing because I'm the exact same, and am absolutely shocking at titles. But then I'm just super particular, and can't cope with leaving things unnamed if they go on YWS, so I'm probably just biased :P

Oh, and I'm so with you on the bias from previous YWS postings and what not, happens all the time to me. It's crazy how different people take stuff the second time you post something. This one novel I have, people were shipping these two characters like crazy first time round, and now posting it second time round, everyone is shipping a completely different pair. But anywho, the slow/boring thing is honestly more of a general comment because hey, I'm certainly enjoying it, but from an unbiased perspective it could come across a bit slow to some. Sooooo it's nothing to stress over too much, don't worry.

But anywho, before this ends up being a review length response in itself, imma leave you be. I really am enjoying this thus far, and you must inform me of the next chapter if you do write it!



Attolia says...


Hey hey. Thanks for the encouragement! I'll try to keep writing. I'm doing the PROLOGUE thing, I think (*gasp*), so I may post that, and if so I'll let you know.

Yeah it's weird how YWS can subconsciously affect your writing (if only small things like titling). But honestly I'm the type of person who needs to be pushed, so I'd probably get even less writing done without the site (and I basically never write now, as is).

I think for temporary titles I may play with something with a place name -- like Basel or Lyon, and then I sorta like the phrase "once more" because it calls to mind the wartime Henry V ("once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more")... but I also think it sounds pretentious. Sorry to call you out for your opinion, lol, but something like "Once More in Lyon" or "Once More in Basel" or just like "Lyon" or "Basel" as a temporary title?? Tbh all of them kind of make me cringe with pretension.

Anyway, hope you're having a great weekend so far! Thanks again so much for all your help x



Sins says...


Ermagherd, do it!

Ugh, I'm exactly the same. I'm always way more motivated to write when I'm on YWS, and if I'm around, that generally means I'm writing something (hence my few hiatuses, where I wrote literally nothing for like a year).

Oh, that doesn't sound pretentious at all! It probably doesn't seem much coming from the Queen of pretentious titles (aka me), but seriously, it's not pretentious in the slightest. I really like those ideas, even as permanent titles tbh. So do it, dude, doooooo it.




“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables