z

Young Writers Society


12+

How Can I? (NaPo Poem #1)

by Atticus



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 200
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu May 13, 2021 12:15 pm
SheReady says...



I really love your poem...in fact I think its brilliant in how i,as a Christian can relate and feel what you are going through. I especially love the first stanza...it shows what christianity is: following God blindly not knowing if He's real or not and how ridiculous that might seem.
These are questions most of us(christians) have struggled with and you've beautifully written it out.




User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:38 am
Beepbeepwomp says...



I definitely relate to this in a sort of different way. I’ve never grown up around religion and so it’s never been a significant part of my life. To be honest, I’ve always desired to be a part of a religion if only for the sense of purpose and belonging it may provide. But I’m also really doubtful because how can I place all of my faith and trust in someone who others claim love all and demands my faith yet allows so much hate and pain to thrive amongst humanity.




User avatar
522 Reviews


Points: 18486
Reviews: 522

Donate
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:27 pm
View Likes
Lavvie wrote a review...



Hey Tuck,

This reads not quite like a poem, and I think it might be more striking and impactful if structured to mimic the form of a psalm - or other religious scripture. At the very least, in my opinion, this reads more like a prose poem of sorts which is why I suggest an adapted structure.

Overall, as someone who is not religious and has little desire to seek out faith for reasons adjacent to your own (mostly, I disagree with the contradictions you highlight here), this was a really interesting piece. It is uniquely concise and does not beat around the bush. The directness of the language, of the voice, is... peacefully confrontational in a way that I respect. It also conveys the emotions of loss - feeling denied by your own, grieving an inability to feel fully embraced by the faith community. I think that maybe this could be quite effective if read by someone who also belongs to the Church, yet is not in your shoes. It might provide them that opportunity to stand in your shoes and see your perspective a little better.

I appreciated the sectioning of the poem (trust, follow, believe, love), and I think if you adapted the structure according to my suggestion above, you could still do so with these sections. Not only does it slow it down, but I think it further strengthens the emotion being conveyed here and also streamlines the message you are trying to get across.

The last two lines are the strongest, and maybe because they seem reminiscent of language found in the Bible: "not crucifixion of my sins or my flesh / but ... of that which makes me myself". All the words before are ultimately leading up to these two lines. Well done.

Thanks for an interesting read, and for conveying such a heartbreaking message in such a productive way.

All the best,
Lavvie




Atticus says...


Thanks so much for your review! Would you mind unpacking your suggestion about structure a little more? I agree that it could probably be structured/formatted better but would love to hear some more specifics about how to do that.



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 299
Reviews: 44

Donate
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:30 am
IMK wrote a review...



Hey! Zekcede here,

The first thing I want to say is that this is absolutely beautiful, and it left me speechless. The first time I read through it I had to go and re-read it because the little details sprinkled throughout are amazing.

I don't think I have anything to critique about the work, so let's move on to more good things!

- I love the writing style!!!! the way you write is so breathtaking I had to stop for a second while reading

- I really enjoyed the back and forth between trying to trust, and yet knowing that there are so many things and reasons why not to trust

- I love how the God in the story barely speaks, and yet brings out all these emotions int eh character :)))

(all of the aforementioned emotions are sent down to the reader and now I'm crying)



this was amazing! keep it up!

-Z




Atticus says...


Thanks so much!



User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:20 pm
View Likes
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Hello tuckster!!! Here for a review. I really wanted to drop a review and what I think about it. Well, to tell the truth, I guess I am a believer of God but still want to be confirmed. It's really full of questions– the biggest mystery ever. There are many many people who claimed that God do exist– in fact they have seen God!! But, can't that be an illusion? Maybe they were insane to reach god and as a result they started imagining. Can't it be that? Then there are many who think god created us. If so, then god must have created our brains but our brains are telling that god doesn't exist! What can we do now? If you ask for believer, then I must specify the big bang. It somehow happened– a cataclysmic explosion. But, how it happened? I was reading somewhere that the universe was in a stationary state before it happened. What made it move then? Science tells that something can't change its state until force is applied? Who or what applied that force? Can it be God? Or Big bang didn't actually happen?

Spoiler! :
Those were my opinions and all about God. I am extremely sorry if I am wrong at any instance or something hurts you by any means.


Your poem:

Throughout your poem, you actually talked about religion to be exact. At least it sounded to me. I am really not that concerned about every religion in the world. But I just want to tell you one single thing– Religion is not God and God is not religion. As long as I am concerned, in the past, there were many people who wanted to prove themselves the highest and as a result they imposed many restrictions on the other people to make them superior. In many cases, it was seen that there is nothing like that... To impose something on God, pls verify it whether it's those people or God. Each and every word of your poem is awesome. They were extremely deep in their meanings– one can go forever and perhaps to infinity finding the meaning of those words. These is all. Hope you are okay and is not really stressed with your belief.

Keep writing!!!

~Forever




Atticus says...


Thank you for your thoughts!



User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 5211
Reviews: 184

Donate

User avatar
78 Reviews


Points: 40
Reviews: 78

Donate
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:24 am
View Likes
NivedaJames22 says...



Hi
This is so beautiful...it's moving, deep, profound, touching...I could go on forever.
Especially loved the last two lines of the second stanza
Keep writing




Atticus says...


Thank you so much for your kind words!




I don't care what the miserable excuse is for showing the death of books, live, on screen. Men, I could understand; but books! -
— Edwin Morgan, From the Video Box 2