Nameless Book Chapter 1: Pages 1-2

by AsterChai

My name is Cam. It's short for Camellia, which is my parents' favorite flower. Something about the sheer amount of tiny beautiful petals the flower has is captivating to them. It brings them joy, so when I came into the picture and did the same thing, they named me Cam. It's a nice name, I sure like it. It's meaningful but easy to say with only one syllable. Technically my "parents" aren't actually my parents. They found me as an abandoned baby and took me in. I don't care too much about that. It's not like I always wonder who my “real” parents are. I don't need to, I have good loving parents right here for me. Well, at least I did.

My parents disappeared when I was seven years old. That's right, disappeared. They weren't killed or anything. Just gone. My therapist says that my mind is making up images about that time, but I swear when they disappeared, I saw a flash of white light and then they were gone. Just like that. No one believes this is what happened, but I have no doubt in my mind that something fishy is going on. My mind can't just be making it up, there's no way. So I am going to find out what happened to my parents if it's the last thing I do. "Cam it's time for school!" My foster parent yelled through the orphanage.

I looked at my big board of clues with several tacks and strings connecting them together. All of them lead back to the middle, where a solid white piece of paper laid. Every day I review all of the clues I have found thus far that could help me explain what happened to my parents. Documents, pictures, and more. Anything can be a clue and might help me find them. "CAM!" My foster parent yelled again. I picked up my backpack and ran downstairs. "Coming!" I yelled. I arrived at the bottom of the stairs where my foster parent stood with her arms crossed. "Cam, you need to come down the first time I call for you. Everyone else is waiting in the bus and they could be late because of you." She scolded me. "I know Jamie, but I feel like I am getting closer, if I can find just a few more clues surely I'll be able to crack the code." She frowned at me when I said this. She opened her mouth to say something but decided not to. "Just get on the bus." She said.

I went outside and boarded the bus, Jamie followed and went into the driver's seat. I sat down in the empty seat next to no one. All the other orphans thought I was crazy, so I don't sit by them. I think they’re probably scared of me. Afraid I'll totally lose my mind and hurt them. Of course I'd never do that, why would I do something like that when my parents were the nicest people around. I can't hurt someone knowing my parents would look down on that action. Granted I do get... angry from time to time but I've never hurt anyone. Not even once, but I have to live with this label whether I like it or not. It's fine, I don't really care too much. I have my friend at school, that's all I need.

I looked out the window and the bus started driving. I’ve never really liked buses, or really vehicles in general, I just can’t think well in them, and I’m nothing without my thoughts. Finally we arrived at school. A place where I can think. And a place I can meet with my best and only friend. A person who in my mind, is an enigma. He has the confidence of a god. He doesn’t give two shits what other people say about him. He told me he just wants to have fun, he doesn’t mind that people avoid him.

Finally, I spot him. He walks this extremely sassy walk. He wears a pink crop top and fairly short shorts. He wears a faux fur scarf a waves at me. He runs over almost shouting “Ahha! Greetings Miss Camellia! A fabulous day we are having don’t you agree?” Did I mention he’s gay? Well he is, and he fell in love with the stereotypes of an over the top gay guy, and acts like this pretty much every day. He’s pretty fun. I look to the window of the school to see a cloudy and overall gloomy day. I look back at him. “Yeah, totally Fabio.” I respond. “Tell me Miss Camellia, what clues would you like me to help you find on this fine day?” He asked me. “Meet me at the back door of the school when the lunch bell rings.” I whisper to him. “Fabulous.” He whispers back, and we both head to our classes.

scarlettvee wrote a review...

Hello! First of all, I'm just warning you, I haven't read any of the other reviews on this book so I apologize if anything I say in this review is a repeat of another one. Starting with the beginning of your book however, you give us a large block of information about Camilla and her parents. It's good information for us to know, but it's a lot of telling, so instead of putting all this information together, I would try to thread it through not only this chapter but the entire story. Start this chapter when Camilla's parent telling up to her, then go from there, slowly giving the reader a little more information about Camilla and her life.

Also, you do a lot of telling in this chapter, which something that writers typically want to avoid. It's not something you always have to avoid, but you should when you can. So instead of telling us that none of the other orphans like Camilla, show us this instead by showing the other orphans moving away from her as she sits on the bus, giving her side eyes and glares, maybe whispering about her etc. The same goes for Fabio. You did describe him, and I was able to pick up pretty quickly that he was gay, so that's not something you need to tell the readers. Just show them this through his actions and whatnot.

Dialogue. Alright, now getting more into the grammar stuff, you need to clean up a little but of your dialogue. Every time someone new starts speaking, start a new paragraph. Also, if you add a tag at the end of dialogue, do a comma, the end quotation marks, then the tag. So for example instesd of doing ["Those cupcakes look delicious." She said.] you're going to want to write ["Those cupcakes look delicious," she said.] Notice how the order is quotation marks, dialogue, comma, quotation marks, tag, period. This is how you should do all your dialogue. So the dialogue should look like this:

"Those cupcakes look delicious," she said.

"Personally, I think the donuts look better," her brother responded.

And so on.

Sorry for the food references by the way... now I'm hungry...

I like the story so far though, and the mystery of what happened to her parents, disappearing into that bright light, seems very Interesting! This is definitely a book I would continue to read! Keep up the good work!

AsterChai says...

Thanks for the review! And yeah I'm afraid what you said was a repeat of what the others have said, but it's still good advice, so thank you! I've actually already revised the first chapter and will be posting the finished chapter once I get enough points. If you're interested, keep a look out for that!

LR12 wrote a review...

Hello! I am also new to YWS and this is the first story I have looked at.

First off, I really like the name. Camellia is beautiful. Well done.
I also like the tone. She sounds like just a really happy person despite all of her struggles; being abandoned, losing her adoptive parents, and being ignored and teased by fellow orphans. She is an instantly likable character, at least for me. I am excited to see how her past has affected her and how it will influence the story in the future. I loved the part where she mentions that she gets angry sometimes. It adds a little quirk to her character. She starts off seeming innocent and sweet, then you have this little twist that changes the whole perception of her. You did a good job of introducing a sense of perseverance in the beginning when she's looking at her clues. It was impressive to me what this girl would do for her parents.

For the beginning of the story, add a first line that really sparks the reader's attention. The name of the character can be introduced at any time, but a memorable first sentence can stick with someone forever.
Many people have heard this before: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." That's just the beginning of a very long, but very beautifully written first sentence. It comes from A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.
I'm not saying make history with your first line, and you don't even have to make it memorable, but it makes a really nice story when it is.
On the other hand, if introducing the name is very important to your story, go right ahead.

One grammar thing that hasn't been mentioned: Watch out for comma splices. That's attaching to independent clauses with a comma, but no coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, etc.). For example, when you say, "It's a nice name, I sure like it." That should be, "It's a nice name. I sure like it." To look for comma splices, just look at your sentences with commas, read on either side of the comma and if both sides have a full sentence and there is no conjunction, take out the comma.

Finally, I agree with Nobunaga. Make sure to show, don't tell. You did very well with this in many cases, but you can do so much more with it. A lot of this is telling the reader information. People are pretty intuitive and you can use this to your advantage. Make people feel the pain of being isolated in your own world because nobody believes you. You want to bring people into your story, not just show them words put together nicely. You have already done this well, so I believe you can keep going and you'll only get better!

Overall, this is a really great concept and story. I can't wait to hear more about Cam's world and finding her parents!

AsterChai says...

Thanks a ton for the review! I think I might actually end up changing the first line. Make it more interesting and have a better hook. I see what you mean by the comma splicing thing, and I'll be sure to look out for it and about the show and don't tell, I'm trying to make sure I do that. Especially with Fabio. In my edited first chapter, I trashed all of the explanation about Fabio, and instead slowly revealed his personality as he talked and interacted with Cam.

Anyway, thanks again for the review and the compliments inside it! I'm glad you enjoy the book so far!

Nobunaga wrote a review...

Hello and welcome to YWS!

Wow, I honestly really loved this! I like how Cam is talking directly to the reader. Sometimes that can be hard to pull off if your character doesn't have an interesting voice, but I found myself really liking this! It reminded me a little of Junie B Jones, not that the stories are anything alike. I just found it easy to hear her in my head, if that makes sense.

I think you have a really good plot going on here. I'm so interested to find out where her parents have gone! It seems like it's going to be something supernatural - aliens?! I really feel bad for Cam. She has to be an orphan now and, on top of that, nobody believes her! I would like to see more about how that creates problems in her life. We already got a snippet of it with her foster parent frowning at her and opening her mouth and then closing it again. It really shows how persistent Cam is about what she saw and how tired the foster parent is of arguing with her. By that way, that's a great example of showing versus telling!

I would like to see that showing expanded on. You can do so much with it! For example, whenever Cam was on the bus, she was telling us that people didn't really like her because they thought she was crazy. You could also show us this by writing in that people were giving her snide looks or whispering about her as she passed by. Either way, your writing is very fun to read.

You did well on your grammar, there's just a couple of things I want to mention.

The first is that you should start a new paragraph whenever someone begins to speak. I see you keep your dialogue tags within your paragraphs. "Like this."

"But, really, it should be like this. This also helps to give your chapter more shape so that things don't seem as blocky."

On that same note, there needs to be a comma added whenever you're adding speaking tags to dialogue. For example,

“Yeah, totally Fabio.” I respond.

The correct way to write that is like this: "Yeah, totally Fabio," I respond.

Other than that, your grammar looked good to me!

And, lastly, I don't think Fabio would be allowed to wear short shorts and crop tops to school. Most schools have a dress code they need to follow. But, hey, that's just my opinion! It would also help if I knew what grade they were in and how old they were. Aside from that though, I love Fabio's character. I also love how you mentioned that he really liked the flamboyantly gay stereotype and that's why he's imitating it. It just gives him so much character.

Honestly, I really enjoyed reading this. Please let me know when you post more!

AsterChai says...

Thanks a bunch for the review! Thanks for the great compliments and advice, but I have one question, when using ! or ? do I still replace them with commas in dialogue? For example would I write a sentence like this:

"Coming!" I yelled. Or would I write it like this:

Coming," I yelled.

And also I'm glad you like Fabio's character trait, because I largely based that on the fact that I want to be like that, but I know I'd just kind of annoy everyone so I do the same except much more watered down, so I live that fantasy through writing Fabio. And actually, I have the full first chapter written with all the edits from the advice given to me from the other two, so I'll post that soon once I've reviewed some more work.

AlmondEyes wrote a review...

Hello there! Here to do a review (Obviously xD)

Anyways (Ahem xD),

I agree with the comments from Icy. It is a lot of information to take in, and it doesn't flow in an organized. Setting the story line and flow effectively is a good way to keep your reader interested in what's going to happen next. When I read this, it seems the information is kind of being thrown is being thrown at you from different point in the story from different spots.

Something I also agree with Icy about is the the way you have your story formatted. And what Icy meant by the way the story is structured would be something like this:

So I am going to find out what happened to my parents if it's the last thing I do. "Cam it's time for school!" My foster parent yelled through the orphanage.

Where the dialogue starts, there should be a break for a new sentence like so:

So I am going to find out what happened to my parents if it's the last thing I do.

"Cam it's time for school!" My foster parent yelled through the orphanage.

This is how it should be done when using dialogue to help signify that someone is speaking, as well as finishing a thought. It's important that you get into the habit of doing that, because it seems to make everything run together, and when people see everything together like it is now, then it may prevent them from wanting to read your story for one reason or another. As I said earlier, it kind of feels like things are just being tossed at me without warning. It can be hard to make a distinction one thing and the other if a distinction isn't made. See where I'm coming from?

That's all I've got (Since I just got off work and feel extremely tired xD). You're story seems a little rough around the edges, but as you spend more time on the site, you'll grow as a writer just as we all have. Keep on truckin'!! ^^

AsterChai says...

Thanks a bunch for the review and critique, I agree with both you and Icy. I do need to slow my roll a bit. And the dialogue bit does also make sense. I'll make some changes!

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:24 am

Hi there AsterChai,
Icy here for a quick review (also, it's been a while since I reviewed anything, so please bear with me).

So I'm a little confused by your overall premise here. From what I understand, your MC's parents disappeared when she was seven (despite people telling her not to be silly) and she's determined to find out why.

Here's where I get confused:

Technically my "parents" aren't actually my parents. They found me as an abandoned baby and took me in.

I'm with you so far, but then you say this:

My parents disappeared when I was seven years old.

So what I'm assuming you mean is that her biological parents abandoned her when she was a baby and then she was adopted and those parents disappeared when she was seven? Now she lives in an orphanage? That's a lot going on to happen in the first few paragraphs and it can make the reader confused and not want to read on.

Try pacing your story a little better, more slowly. Maybe give some hints throughout the chapter that her adopted parents disappeared, and then reveal it at the end? Play around with it a bit to get the flow working so you don't get a huge information dump that can be off-putting.

You need to start a new line every time someone new speaks. Also, why does she live in an orphanage if she has a foster parent? Fostering usually means that someone takes the child home to live with them for a period of time - like temporary adoption.

All the other orphans thought I was crazy, so I don't sit by them.

Keep to one tense for your story.

Of course I'd never do that, why would I do something like that when my parents were the nicest people around
.
This should be a question.

Overall, I think you need to slow your pace right down here, and focus on guiding your reader through the story gently rather than throwing loads of information at them. Take your last paragraph for example; the reader should be able to experience Fabio and get to know him as a character rather than read loads of statements about him.

As the saying goes: “Write. Rewrite. When not writing or rewriting, read. I know of no shortcuts.” This story could take you somewhere but you're going to need to do quite a lot of editing along the way.

If you get stuck, or you'd like clarification on any of my points please feel free to message me.

Have a good day!
Icy

AsterChai says...

I get what you are saying. I probably should slow it down quite a bit. I'll try and make changes. Thanks a bunch for the review and critique!

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus