z

Young Writers Society



Tears of Fire (Rewritten portion in a first person POV)

by AspiringAuthorA..M.


This is how my story in the first person point of view. I have completely rewritten a portion of my book, which is written in the third person omniscient point of view. Funny how originally I wrote my book in the first person point of view. I'm just not sure what POV to have it in anymore. I like them both, so I need some suggestions.

The book alternates between five characters, but here I only have two. I just wrote this a while ago. Oh yeah, I already described the heck out of all the animals in the filed, which consists of water. Yeah, everybody is walking on water.

******************************************

Chloe

The bald eagle on my shoulder ruffled its wings. I giggled as the feathers tickled my ears. Everything had changed so fast, like the ambiance of brilliance after you flick a light switch. The darkness shunned out. I gazed into the eyes of the eagle. It twisted its neck and stared back.

We were eye to eye. A bird of prey and me, a fragile shell on the verge of shattering. The eagle opened its beak and drew its head close to me. I reached out with a hand and stroked its feathery body. It was surprisingly smooth. The eagle did not seem to mind this at all. When I drew my hand back it was moist with oil. I wiped it on my pant leg and took in my surroundings again.

The other people in the field with me were also content with their animals. A lot of them had bald eagles like me, but others had exotic creatures like crocodiles and wolves. One boy in particular stood out from the rest, beside him was a gazelle and a Hoopoe was perched on it's shoulder.

With the transformation of the once caging blazing trees, the field was a beautiful place. A genuine feeling of happiness was something that I rarely had the luxury of feeling. But when I did, it never lasted. Like vapor, it faded away. Leaving only the sour smell of sorrow.

My sense of happiness was shattered by his appearance. Nathan. He smiled at me. How dare he? The bastard. After what he had done to me, I could never forgive him. I began to walk away as Nathan walked toward me, but he clasped a hand over my wrist and tugged me to him. “Le me go,” I said, unable to find the will to say it with authority.

Nathan said nothing. He merely took a hold of my other hand and began to slowly move me along with him. There was an oddly rhythmic pattern to his movements. My eyes shifted to the eagle on my shoulder. It was had begun to dissolve until it was only a shadowy silhouette. I felt the tears build. I didn't want my feathery friend to fade away. Being alone is a feeling I have felt for too long.

Suddenly, I felt myself flung from him while his right hand still had a hold on my right. Then he drew me back to him. This time our bodies collided. As he put a hand on my waist I figured out what was happening. He was dancing with me. Every animal that surrounded me ignored what was happening. But several people, particularly the kids, stared at me with odd expressions. It's like they're looking at a mad woman, I thought.

“No,” I said feebly and started to pry myself from him. He only coiled his fingers tighter on me. “Nathan,” I pleaded, “please stop.” And then just like that, he let go and stood there before me.

Without a seconds hesitation I turned around and strolled away from him, and stopped in my tracks. Before me were my friends. At least, that's what they said they were. But they turned out to be nothing but deceivers. They truly never cared about me, seeing me as only a tag-along. All that they liked about me was that I could provide a house where they could throw their parties. Oh the things I have done at them. Decisions I can never go back on. And time and time again, I haven't learned to stray from them.

I stepped to my right and tried to go around them, but Greta broke from the group and blocked my path. A gleam of glass in her hand caught my eye. As she raised her hand I saw that it was bottle of beer. I felt the pain threaten to explode from me. How many of those vile drinks have I consumed? I shall never know, for I was too intoxicated to keep count, and the hang-overs the sunrise after made it too painful to try and remember.

I raised my hands to her and shook my head. Like Nathan, she only smiled and headed for me. Before I could take a step back she was in my face, handing me the bottle. Unable to think of what else to do, I reluctantly took it in a hand. Greta nodded and with her hands pantomimed drinking it.

I shook my head violently and handed it back to her. Greta tightened her knuckles around the bottles neck and stared at me with cold expressionless brown eyes. I looked away and made a break for the left. Yet another one of my friends hindered my progress. It was Helen, a bulimic girl. Something I suffered a mild case of, and probably still do.

I watched as she causally put a hand in her jeans pocket and pulled out a chocolate bar. With a sad expression glazed on her face, Helen shoved the bar in her mouth and bit off a huge chunk. In the same manner, she downed the rest of it, and then she pulled out another and another. What was she doing, I wondered, feeling my eyebrows scrunch.

Then when she raised a hand to her mouth and shoved a finger inside, I understood. I looked away as her puking began. When she stopped I allowed my eyes to open. There was no vomit on the waters surface, but I know that it did happen. Helen took a big step toward me and thrust a handful of her chocolate bars against my chest. I pushed her hands away and the candies slithered down my body and collected at my feet.

“No,” I said as I pushed past her. A black hooded figure appeared from around the dragon. A glint of silver in it's left hand. A knife. An instrument I have considered to cut away my life with. But to this day, I've either been too cowardly to do, or simply could not do.

How could I? How dare I? Simply do that to my parents? Parents who didn't listen to me when I tried to tell them in my subtle manner about my wanting to move. Move from my problems. Fleeing was what I really meant by it. But they were my parents, and they were the only ones I would ever have.

The figure stalked toward me menacingly and held out the blade. I turned to the girls and Nathan, who eyed me like a pride of lions would their prey. But what they were truly hungering for, I did not know. That is, until the figure drew one of its sleeves up. With its right hand it mimed slashing at its left wrist.

“No,” I whispered feebly. It was pathetic, I sounded so weak. But that is exactly what I am. Weak. I clasped a hand over my mouth as the figure dug into the delicate flesh underneath its wrist. Blood flowed out of the gash and seeped up its forearm.

I backed away toward the others, who began to slowly circle me. The black figure also stalked toward me, like a snake. And then, with no route of escape I simply walked in a circle myself. Before long, it was at my side, studying me like a scientist would his life's work. The figure handed over the blade to me, fresh with blood.

Too afraid to say anything I took it in my hand. Goosebumps erupted on my forearms as the cold steel connected with my palm. The figure again mimed cutting. Unable to hold it in any longer, I wept. I cried so fiercely that my vision became clouded. Then a golden light so bright that my eyes involuntarily shut themselves, illuminated the field.

I released my grip on the blade and stood were I was. A feeling of warmth and happiness radiated through my body. A thunderous roar forced my eyelids open.

The black figure, Nathan, and the girls had backed away a few steps. There were glints of fear in their eyes, except for the black figure, whose face was not visible. I turned around to see what had made them feel so frightened. What I saw in the distance was true beauty. It was the largest lion I have ever seen. I stared at the creature, mesmerized by the golden shine of its mane and fur. I grabbed a lock of my hair and compared it to the lions. My parents often called me their precious gold because of my golden blonde hair. But up against the texture of the lions her hair was dull and... human.

Out of every animal or person on the field, it was the only one whose paws touched the waters surface. I knew that it was my way to safety, so I walked toward it in a ceremonious manner. My tormentors immediately homed in on me and incirlced me. I was a caged animal again. I threw my hands out and tried to push them away, but they pushed back. And they were a lot stronger. I thrashed against them, but it was futile. I was too weak.

I extended a hand out to the lion who stared at me with longing. But why wasn't it helping me? Feeling the cold hands of the black figure I lashed out. The blow did nothing to stop them. I wanted to cry out in fright but couldn't. As their arms wrapped themselves around my body I wept. It was if they were playing tug of war with my body.

I kicked and shook my shoulders as my tears poured, to no effect. They would not stop.

Daniel

I stared in shock as the girl thrashed around madly as if she were being pulled in every direction by invisible beings. Feeling the urge to go and see her I started in her direction. But then a shiver ran through me. I could not, because I was too afraid. But the poor girl, she needed my help!

Turning my head every way, I saw that I wasn't the only one person worried about the girl. I faced her again and my mouth dropped as her coat was torn from her. She wasn't insane, there were invisible forces fighting her.

“Please, I need you!” the girl cried out in yearning.

I prepared to run to her side before the lion rushed toward her at God speed.

Chloe

Everything was too much and I fell to my knees, and lost all hope. I continued to sob as they lashed at me again and again with their hands. They were pounding the will to live away from me. Something I didn't have much of. Then the pressure ended and I was again bathed in that miraculous light.

I turned around and my tears were wiped away as if by an angel. The lion was shielding me from Nathan, the girls, and the hooded figure. But they were battering it so ferociously, and yet, the lion showed no sign of giving in.

Nathan delivered blow after blow against the side of its head, the girls clawed at its side, and the the black figure stabbed at it with the blade. The lions fur ruffled and frothed with the viscous beatings, but the look of sincerity and love never left its face.

I could not move for I was so swayed by what I was seeing, and was vaguely aware that I was holding my breath. Why wouldn't it do anything? The poor creature. It could easily tear them apart and yet, it does nothing; taking the beatings that I rightfully deserved. Time and time again it is struck and stabbed. Through it all, the lion stood its ground. Finally, after the seemingly eternal bombardment of poundings, everybody except the dark figure, were swept off their feet as the lion roared. It was like a chorus of a thousand waterfalls and thunder claps.

The black figure circled the lion with it's snake like movements as it backed off. I approached the lion, but stopped and instead sprinted away. Just as I always did, I backed away from affection. I did not deserve it. Not after all the things I have done.

I cringed as a gunshot exploded behind me. Without even a glance back I knew that the black figure still wanted me to end my life. This time by the pull of a trigger. And who knew, maybe I would. It seemed like an easy way to go. Except for the part where the frigid steel of the death stick in my hand.

I yelped when the black figure caught up to me at a supernatural speed and held out a gun to me. It was a forty five caliber hand gun. The black metal as dark as the figure that held it. In a lightning quick movement, I snatched the gun from it and ground to a stop. I turned the gun over in my hands. Was this my only escape?

The black figure put a hand on my shoulder and put it's head next to my ear. In my peripheral vision I saw Nathan and the girls stop on both sides of the black figure. I should have known that I couldn't get away, because they would always be a part of my life, no matter how hard I tried to make it all fade away. My hands shook and the gun trembled as I raised it. I squeezed my eyes shut as I pressed the barrel against the side of my head. The black figure dug its fingers into my shoulders, as if willing me to pull the trigger.

And then I felt it, hope. I don't know where it came from, all I knew was that I had to take advantage of it before it was crushed. Opening my eyes, I flung the gun away from me and shook myself free from the black figure. I didn't look back as I ran among the sea of animals and people, seeking a place of refuge. Refuge from my pursuers, who I now knew were my demons.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 9

Donate
Fri May 21, 2010 12:42 am
JackpotJohnson says...



Its good...Real good, however i have to agree with the others...other than that it was good




User avatar
182 Reviews


Points: 37408
Reviews: 182

Donate
Wed May 19, 2010 2:22 am



So just here, and never ever to be seen by any publishing eyes?




User avatar
547 Reviews


Points: 49345
Reviews: 547

Donate

User avatar
182 Reviews


Points: 37408
Reviews: 182

Donate
Wed May 19, 2010 1:37 am



I have been debating in my mind rather to put it in my novel. But as of now, it's the book equivalent of a deleted scene in a movie.

So, I need your opinions. Should this remain as it is, an interesting idea, or see that it is incorporated into my book? :)




Random avatar

Points: 3000
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sun May 16, 2010 2:44 am
Chasmira1060 wrote a review...



I find this piece quite brilliant. The language is very beautiful; I love how all the metaphors parallel her real life. At first, I felt like everything she was describing was a literal world; gradually, I wondered if she was imagining it. But I feel now like there's two worlds--her world and this metaphorical world representing real life--and both worlds feel equally real. Intriguing character development as well. The girl is weak yet is able to manifest certain strengths in resisting her demons, both through herself and from the aid of the Lion who reminds me of God but could also be some sort of mentor or other guiding figure. I agree with others too in that Daniel is an interesting character. He does seek to help her yet also displays a certain lack of self-confidence. Good job overall; works great as a short piece but would also be interesting to see in a longer work.




User avatar
182 Reviews


Points: 37408
Reviews: 182

Donate
Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 pm



Thanks. And hehe, I get mixed reviews with the things I do. Sometimes I'm told that my sentences are way too long and that I take forever to get to the point. Other times that I go too fast. I made the sentences short because for some reason people get bored with my long ones even if I do try to use them sparingly for variety. As for you not knowing where in the story this is, I mentioned in my little intro that it is in third quarter in my previous comment. :P

Darn, it's pretty awkward writing from the perspective of a girl. And she is a mixed bag, she pretends to be cheerful around her parents but is truly a tortured soul.




User avatar
547 Reviews


Points: 49345
Reviews: 547

Donate
Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:53 am
captain.classy wrote a review...



This was interesting. I really did want to read more, and that's a great thing. Now onto the review.

Characters

Chloe- She's very 'flat;' she isn't 'round.' This means that her face is in my mind, her actions, but I cannot feel her. I cannot see her personality. I know that she is there, but I can't fully see her.

Her personality seems to change a lot, which can be a problem. I warned you about first person and so many characters that you might not be able to keep track, and it seems here that you lost her. One minute she is standing up for herself against Nathan and the next she's saying that she is weak. I realize that she isn't a completely stable character, but she needs to have some stability. Since you can get inside her head, you need to pick one: is she insane or not? is she self-conscious or righteous? Once you decide these things, then you can make her mind think the same thing all the time, but her words come out differently. I hope that makes sense.

Daniel- Don't really know much about him, but he seems to be a positive character, but also isn't quite sure of himself. I hope all of your characters are not like this. If you need help trying to come up with different traits for your characters, look at the 7 sins. You could choose a different one for each character and stick with that. It helps me with my 7 sins story. :P

Plot

This was extremely confusing. I want to understand but I just can't. Daniel's explanation helped a little. I don't know if this is in the beginning or the middle of the story or not, but I hope it's in the middle. You need far more explanation.

On the flip side, it's so interesting! Of course I was confused when you started mentioning different animals; remember to not introduce different figures if they are useless, you will just seem like you're rambling.

Speaking of rambling, your first few paragraphs are very choppy. What I mean by choppy is this:

The boy ran fast. He ran straight. He tripped. He hit the curb with his face.

Too many he's, too many periods. try to form your sentences together.


You have some grammar and spelling mistakes in here, but a quick edit will fix that. Try reading your work out loud before you post it on here. You will catch all the errors. When I was reading it I kind of asked myself, "Did he read this at all before posting?" In fact the errors were so small and easily correctable that I was getting annoyed, so try to edit before you post on here.

I really liked this! It was well written -at least the end when it became less choppy- and has interesting ideas. I am excited to read the next part!

Questions/comments, PM me.

Classy




User avatar
547 Reviews


Points: 49345
Reviews: 547

Donate
Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:46 am
captain.classy says...



*saves spot for epic review to remind herself that she needs to do an epic review*

On to math homework!




User avatar
182 Reviews


Points: 37408
Reviews: 182

Donate
Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:41 am



I'd say you're right, I should go with first person. Because as of the current third person that I made the story one of the biggest things I've been told is that the characters aren't always fleshed out. I sort of get too carried away with describing scenery and other details when I write in third person. As for grammar, goodness yes it is my enemy. The fact that I don't have Microsoft Word or any other program with a grammar check doesn't make things easier. But I do my best to hunt down those pesky sneaky mistake things.

Oh yeah, this portion is from around the third quarter of Chapter one. If my math is wrong please forgive me. There's a reason why I'm not part of a mathematics community website. :wink:




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 1146
Reviews: 14

Donate
Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:52 am
Drawers wrote a review...



I found a bunch of nitpicky things just in the first few paragraphs, so I didn't try to list them.

You've got an intriguing story, but it definitely needs work. I'm not saying it's bad, it's not. Some parts are very well written, but other parts don't make much sense at all.

The story in general kind of confused me, but I felt compelled to keep reading. Keep working on your grammar and the way you set up the storyline, and I think you've got a really good piece of writing.

As for the POV, I personally think that's the last thing you should be worrying about, but I think it's best in the first person. It's really up to you though, decide which feels more natural. 3rd person gives you a more "peripheral" view of the characters and the story, but 1st person allows more insight into the thoughts and feelings of the characters. Decide which is more important to the story.

-Francesca





What praise is more valuable than the praise of an intelligent servant?
— Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice