Seasonless 60% of Chapter 1

by AspiringAuthorA..M.

Chapter 1 The Dream and Dreamers(Note: not all the character's thoughts are in itallics it would have taken forever since apparently they don't transfer from my original copy)

Ignore the spoiler please. That is an old version of this piece.

1. The Dream and Dreamers

Daniel had no clue as to how he ended up in the middle of a burning forest which caged him. Stretching out in every direction was an inferno of entwined burning trees and shriveling greenery. Many other people were all around him; equally petrified. They were all wearing coats. A tall blond man in a n orange coat had his back to him, his arms over his head in a gesture of confusion.

Daniel looked down at himself and gasped. He was wearing a thick black coat, his hands were covered in soft plush mittens, he was wearing two layers of pants, and he didn't sweat a drop.

His hands trembled with his body. How am I going to get out of here? He frantically scanned the environment, for any opening in his flaming surroundings.

Daniel's eyes grew wide. The fire was in the vague form of a square, matching the distant tree line. The people trapped with him paced around as if the very ground would swallow them. Daniel shivered. What was going on? He hadn't gone camping last night. Was I sleep walking? It was possible, but doubtful, because never in his life had he sleep walked. And why are all the people here with him?

The grass singed and blackened as the blaze crept in on him. The flames were about fifty yards in each direction, and closing in by the second. Wait, are the trees moving away from me? It might have been only a hallucination, but it looked like the trees were moving away from him. He spun in a circle and saw the trees slowly push themselves outward, untwisting.

Strange things dreams are. Where did that come from? A frightened fawn taking shelter in a flower bed that he hadn't noticed before caught his attention. The young deer was crying out an agonizing melody of sorrow. Its animal cry struck a vein in his heart. “Easy, little guy,” Daniel said. The fawn raised its head to look at him. He saw his face reflected in its glassy black eyes. He looked bald since his black hair was invisible in the oily depths of its beady eyes.

He peered up at the sound of foot falls crunching on the grass. A girl was walking in his direction. Her brown hair hanging over her shoulders like a pair of arms. Her face was rather cute, even with the dark spots under her eyes. She smiled at him nervously before crouching down next to the deer. Daniel noted that her hair was dry.

“Aren't you just the cutest thing? You look like Bambi,” she said, seeming to lose herself in the deer’s eyes. The girl looked up from the fawn, and to the trees.

The man in the orange coat jogged to the left, exposing the side of his face. He wasn't a man, not an adult at least. He was a teenager, probably no older than him. As if that were an indication, Daniel rubbed his chin, stubble scraping against his fingers. It's like I haven't shaved in weeks.

The fiery trees were now at least a quarter of a mile away! His mouth hung open at the super natural nature of the hallucination. He heard animal footsteps approaching fast.

The girl glanced at him once and then looked to the foot pounds which were growing in intensity. A stag galloped out of the wall of fire, and toward the bed of flowers where the fawn hid. Its antlers were on fire, while the rest of its body was unsigned by the flames. It was as if the stag's brown fur was coated in fire resistant chemicals.

The girl sprang to her feet and gazed down at the deer and then whipped her head to him. She looked like she wanted to ask him something. “Come on go,” the girl said almost pleading down to the deer, “you can't stay here.” When the deer was twenty feet away the girl ran off, looking over her shoulder. “Run!” she said.

Daniel was about to yell something back before his mouth clamped shut, and his body shivered. He had the impulse to sprint straight into the dancing flames, hoping he could run the distance out of the fire. The stag’s presence gave out an ambiance of horror. It gave him a look unlike that of a predator, shaking its head in an act of dominance.

Unable to move a muscle, Daniel watched as the stag bent down to nudge the fawn as if to comfort it.

The fawn backed away as the burning antlers of the stag touched the flowers. They instantly burst into flame. The fire consumed the flowers until all that was left was a pile of ash. The ash then turned white. Daniel continued to tremble, still unable to find the will to move. What is that stuff?

Suddenly the kind of vapor that Daniel saw when he exhaled during a particularly chilly winter day whiffed out of the whitened ash. The ash had become snow! The fawn slowly walked forward and stood on the snow, its hoofed feet sinking into it. Suddenly plants began to sprout in the snow.

“Look at that!” someone yelled.

Daniel looked back top see who had said it. There were dozens of faces, all with the same shocked expressions. He could not decipher which had spoken. Daniel turned back to face the front and his tongue went dry.

Where there once stood beautiful flowers now sprouted an ominous rose bush. The thorns were coated with blood, and flowers of various unnatural colors sprouted. Black, blue, and whitish silver colored flowers were in full bloom on the plants stems.

Wow, that's amazing! But, something deep within him told him it was the most vile and repulsive thing his eyes have ever had the displeasure of seeing.

“Can anybody smell the smoke?” someone said. There was silence, except for the crackling of tree limbs.

“No,” several people replied, both boys and girls.

Daniel rumpled his brow. He inhaled deeply, baffled. Why couldn't he smell any smoke? He should have been coughing uncontrollably with all the smoke floating over him, like a ghostly apparition. He was no expert on the chemical and physical breakup of fire, but wouldn't the heat from a fire of this intensity reach him even from this distance?

Duh, this is a dream. It sure seemed all too real though. He had heard that you couldn't feel pain in a dream. He pinched himself and winced. It wasn't true. When he pinched himself he felt it alright. What was with all the people? They were behaving so realistically.

Daniel rarely dreamed. He couldn't even recall the last time that he had, so being surrounded by such strange sights was awe inspiring. He was quite afraid; he didn't know if he should just stay where he was and close his eyes. Maybe when he opened them he'd be in another scene, hopefully one without fire.

He jumped when the stag let out an ear-piercingly distress call. Its head was reared toward the sky. The flames scorching and licking at the trees were suddenly extinguished. Unlike the flower bed not all of them turned into the snowy ash. Some of them, most notably the taller and healthier looking of the trees, weren't even burned at all.

“I think now's our chance to go!” a girl hollered.

People began to move toward the tree line, but they soon ground to a halt.

New alien plant life began to grow in the snow, just like with the flower bed. Some piles of snow simply melted and left behind normal looking grass. The trees that did grow back were as equally menacing as the rose bush. The bark of their trunks was the same whitish gray color, and the leaves which were shaped like stars were black. They glistened like oil stains in the faint glow of the stags burning antlers.

Mountains loomed beyond the trees. Their miles high peaks were obscured by misty clouds. Those mountains make the Himalayas look like ant hills, he thought. He had only seen pictures of them in books, and on the Internet. But these dwarfed even Mount Everest. The peaks were so high up he had to crane his neck up to even see the point where the clouds coiled around the peaks like snakes.

When he was done gawking at the wondrous view of the mountains he scanned every inch of the field catching the yes of many. A girl with golden blonde hair who looked thirteen, was gazing toward the mountains. His eyes lingered on her. The way she stared at it was as if it were the first beautiful sight she had ever beheld.

She quickly looked away when she realized that he has looking at her. Daniel wanted to apologize, but instead he shrugged and turned to where the fawn was, beside the rose bush. His mouth dropped open. It was gone! Where it once stood was a miniature pond of shimmering water.

****************************

Andrew was one-hundred percent sure he was dreaming. If it weren't so he'd be screaming. He was considered the perfect son in his father’s eyes and by other adults a role model for other teens. Andrew knew he was neither of those things. He was a deceiver. Sure he was Mr. Perfect around his father and in class, but subtract them from the equation and he was an ass-hole.

He was a cruel nearly heartless man. Signing a pact was not his style. When presented with one he chose denial. Once upon a time I learned to rhyme, sort of. Taking slow steps, he approached the puddle, where the boy with crow black hair still stood.

Andrew shook his head. The dream was so strange. He had just seen a fawn dissolve into water for crying out loud! The boy stepped aside for him without looking at him. He peered down at the liquid. Staring at the water where the baby deer had been Andrew felt like he was looking at the surface of the ocean from a plane. In the watery mirror was a blonde haired blue eyed boy.

He surveyed the area. Andrew had considered picking up the fawn and throwing it in the fire just to have a bit of mean-spirited enjoyment in the dream. However, he couldn't get himself to do it no more than he would willingly throw himself into a fire in the real world. So he had suppressed the desire, and it wasn't just because that girl and boy were standing near it. No, something inside had told him that the fawn was standing in for... him.

He cringed when tiny droplets of blood began to drip from the rosebush and onto the surface of the water. Where they plopped onto the puddle the water and dispensed it became an ugly greenish-yellow colored muddle. More and more blood drops fell in the water leaving its surface in disorder. The water turned and swelled. It could have been just him, but it sure looked like the two types of water were fighting each other. If they were the disgusting looking water was definitely winning. If he tasted it no doubt it would be bitter. This must be what crazy people dream; my world is spinning out of control.

“My goodness, that's disgusting,” the boy, who was now standing at his left said.

Andrew said nothing and instead tugged at the tight orange coat he was wearing. He half expected it to be white. He had a dry sense of humor whenever he tried to be funny. It was a miracle that he hadn't been admitted into an asylum after the event that turned him into a bullying terror.

"Wow!" he gasped as a loud flapping noise fluttered overhead. "Wow," he said again, this time so overwhelmed by what was happening that he couldn't have screamed if he wanted to. Coming from all four corners of the trees every kind of animal imaginable was lumbering, slithering, swinging, and flying toward the center of the field that no longer existed. For in its place was a vast expanse of water.

“Hey man, look at the ground!” the boy said, startling him.

“Sure, whatever imaginary being,” Andrew said looking down. He practically jumped out of his skin when he realized the ground beneath his feet consisted of liquid. Could there be a squid with an eye the size of a pie under there? Andrew studied his environment with critical eyes. Only the ground beneath the trees was still land. A chorus of surprised shouts rang through the field.

He shuffled his feet, his mind going blank. How could he stand in mid air? Shaking the thought away he swept his eyes over the watery floor. All kinds of fish were visible through the water that was as clear as glass. They swam around gracefully as if through air.

He jumped when a colossal whale swam beneath the soles of his shoe. Landing back on the surface of the water he didn't even so much as a ripple on its surface. He was so mesmerized by an orca as it launched itself clear out of the water that he didn't care at the moment about any of the other animals. However, he paced over the surface uncomfortably when he saw a crocodile zip through the water beneath his feet like a torpedo leaving a blip in its wake.

It passed him by, seemingly uninterested or unaware of his presence. He squatted down to see how deeply his feet penetrated the waters surface. The bottoms of his shoes didn't even grace the surface. Praise! He was hovering about an inch over the water. Should I pinch myself to see if I'm awake? He smiled at his own silliness.

People were practically flying above the water as they moved about. A few looked down right terrified. Andrew ignored them, only interested in the animals. He walked further away from the rosebush. Even under the crystal clear water, the roots were invisible.

As he drew closer to the trees, more animals stepped into the field. Nervous eyes met his every time he passed somebody. When he had walked for what he guessed to be three minutes he stopped. Andrew squinted at a tree in the distance. An orangutan was curiously eyeing him from a low lying limb. A komodo dragon, tiger, and a rhinoceros with a fierce looking eagle on its back, stood directly beneath the orangutan.

They stood side by side as if they were meant for coexistence, as if even a tide could not break their bond. They were like one. And these were animals that would have a bone to pick if they ever met in the wild. Everything here was so undefiled.

Stunningly magnificent birds were walking amongst the stalking lions, leopards, and many other predators without fear. Occasionally however some of the animals would put on aggressive displays of defense when in the presence of certain animals. He had had many strange dreams and nightmares before, but none prior to this one had ever been this unusual and realistic. And he was a materialistic person who barley believed in his father’s spiritual beliefs.

If it weren't for the unnatural plant life, and the fact that he was floating over water, he would have sworn he was fully conscious.

Some of the animals growled at the people. It was an unsettling sight.

“Shoo! Go away!” a man said, waving his hand at a moose. The animal ducked it's head as if preparing to charge, but quickly raised it and ran pat the man.

Andrew moved around, making way for the animals that stalked past him. He found himself unable to peel his eyes from them. Andrew continued to watch them, filled with nostalgia. All of the familiar and unfamiliar animals had gathered around the rosebush. Andrew saw both gentle and predatory birds soaring through the air above his head. It’s not fair! This is a dream, so why can’t I fly too? Who was there to make the rules for his dream? No one, that’s who!

Among the list of other animals were a long necked emu and ostrich, various deer, a lumbering elephant, big cats, small mammals walking in between the larger animals feet, various dog breeds, a fox, and wolves, there was even a unicorn and a winged horse! He knew if he turned around his mind would create more animals to populate his dream, but he kept facing forward.

One of the wolves stood out from the rest. It wasn't the same grayish color of the other wolves, and it stood alone separating itself from the other animals. Doesn't he realize he doesn't have to be territorial in my dream? Stupid dog, he probably drank water from a smog polluted stream as a pup. It was typical of Andrew to be sarcastic, even in a dream. He turned his neck around when he heard flapping noises, and then a bald eagle heavy as a boulder landed on his shoulder.

NEW VERSION: Chapter one of, Seasonless: Tears of fire

1. American Dreams

Daniel had no clue how he ended up in the middle of a burning forest, which caged him. Stretching out in every direction was an inferno of entwined, blazing trees and shriveling greenery. Even with the fires, the forest was dark, almost black.

There were thousands of people around him, equally petrified. All were wearing coats and, he wasn't sure, but a few looked familiar. A tall blond man in an orange coat had his back to him, his arms over his head.

“Hey, what's with the coat?” Daniel said. “There's fire everywhere, man!”

“Shut up,” the man spat, his voice youthful.

“Fine, Mr. Grumpy.” Daniel looked down at himself and gasped. He too was wearing a thick black coat. Running his hands, which were covered with covered in mittens over his legs, he felt two layers of pants. Even with all the clothes he didn't sweat a drop.

He frantically scanned the dark environment, looking for any opening in his flaming surroundings. How am I going to get out of here? As the crowd moved specks of color appeared in the blackness. Narrowing his eyes he saw that it was a flower bed.

“Excuse me,” he said as he pushed his way through the people, toward the bed of flowers. Bumping into a big man he said, “Pardon me.” A few girls smiled at him.

“Hey, do you know what's going on?” a girl said.

“Hi. And no. I have no idea,” Daniel said. Looking at the edge of the field, his eyes grew wide. The fire was in the vague form of a square, matching the distant tree line. Embers swirled over the trees, and gray smoke floated. People paced around, nervously.

He shivered. What's going on? He hadn't gone camping last night. Was I sleepwalking? It was possible, but doubtful, because never in his life had he sleepwalked. And why are all these people here with me?

The grass singed and blackened as the blaze crept in on him. Dancing flames were miles away from him, but closing in by the second. He spun in a circle and saw the trees slowly untwist. Though there were now openings, the fire and the smoke still trapped him.

“Where did that come from?” A frightened fawn taking shelter in the flower bed caught his attention. The young deer was crying out in an agonizing melody of sorrow.

“Easy, little guy,” Daniel said. The fawn raised its head to look at him. Daniel saw his face reflected in its glassy black eyes. He looked bald since his black hair was invisible in the oily depths of its beady eyes.

Foot falls crunched on the grass. Daniel looked up to see what they were. A girl was walking in his direction, brown hair hanging over her shoulders. Her face was rather cute, even with the dark spots under her eyes. Crouching down next to the deer, she smiled up at him.

“Aren't you just the cutest thing? You look like Bambi,” she said.

“No it doesn’t, you silly goose,” Daniel said cheerfully.

The girl giggled. She extended a hand and stroked the fawn. “You're precious.”

Daniel looked up from the girl and to the others. The man in the orange coat jogged to the left, exposing the side of his face. He wasn't a man. Not an adult, at least. He was a teenager, probably no older than him. A long clump of blond hair covered his right eye like a patch.

Daniel rubbed his chin, stubble scraped against his fingers. “I need a shave.”

The fiery trees were now at least a quarter of a mile away. He moved his head to the side as foot falls approached from the trees, oddly amplified.

The girl glanced at him once and then looked to the source of the sounds, which were growing in intensity. A stag galloped out of the wall of fire, toward the bed of flowers, where the fawn hid. Its antlers were on fire, while the rest of its body was unsigned by the flames.

“It's amazing,” he said.

“What is?” the girl said.

“That deers adapted to forest fires.”

The girl said nothing and sprang to her feet, gazing down at the deer. “Go on. Leave!” the girl said, almost pleading to the fawn. “You can't stay here.” When the stag was twenty feet away, the girl ran off, looking over her shoulder. “Run!” she said.

Daniel was about to yell something back before his mouth clamped shut, and all his lips could do was quiver. The stag's nostrils flared as it shook its head in an act of dominance. Its neck fur ruffled as the muscles flexed.

He watched as the stag bent down to nudge the fawn, as if to comfort it. The fawn backed away as the stag's burning antlers touched the flowers. They instantly burst into flame. The fire consumed the flowers until all that was left was a pile of ash. In an instant, the ash turned white.

What is that stuff? Regardless of what it was, it was now the brightest thing in the dark ambiance. Vapor whiffed from the white ash. It had become snow. The fawn slowly plodded forward and stood on the snow, its hoofed feet sinking into it. Plants began to sprout from the snow.

“Look at that!” someone yelled.

Daniel looked back to see who had said it. There were dozens of faces, all with the same shocked expressions. Unable to decipher who had spoken, he turned back around and his tongue went dry.

Where there once stood beautiful flowers now sprouted an ominous rose bush. It was glazed with snow and the thorns were coated with blood. Black, blue, and whitish silver colored flowers were in full bloom on the plants stems. The bush's frost dissolved and ran down the roses.

Wow! That's amazing! But, something deep within him told him it was the most vile and repulsive thing he had ever seen. But still, the plant was oddly attractive. Weak glows of gray light were being emitted by the thorns and flowers.

“Can anybody smell the smoke?” someone said. Except for the crackling of tree limbs, there was silence.

“No,” several people replied. It was like being in a mob, the voices mingling.

Daniel rumpled his brow. He inhaled deeply, baffled. Why couldn't he smell any smoke? He should have been coughing uncontrollably with it floating over him, like a ghostly apparition. Wouldn't the heat from a fire of this intensity reach him even from this distance?

He jumped when the stag let out an ear-piercingly loud distress call. The flames scorching and licking at the trees extinguished themselves. Unlike the flower bed, not all of them turned into the snowy ash. Some of them, most notably the taller and healthier looking of the trees in the distance, weren't even burned at all.

“Now's our chance to go!” a girl hollered.

People began to move toward the tree line. They halted and turned back as abnormal plant life started to grow in the snow. Some piles of snow simply melted and left behind normal looking grass. The trees that grew back, however, were as menacing as the rose bush. The bark of their trunks was the same whitish gray color. Their star shaped leaves were black glistened like oil stains in the faint glow of the stag's burning antlers.

Mountains loomed beyond the trees. Their peaks were obscured by misty clouds. Those mountains make the Himalayas look like ant hills, he thought. The peaks were so high that he had to crane his neck to see the point where the clouds coiled around the peaks, like snakes.

When he was done gawking at the wondrous view, he scanned the field, catching the eyes of many. A girl with golden blonde hair, who looked thirteen, was gazing at the mountains. His eyes lingered on her. The way she stared at it was as if it were the first beautiful sight she had ever beheld.

She quickly looked away when she realized that he has looking at her. Daniel wanted to apologize, but instead he shrugged and turned to where the fawn was, beside the rose bush. His mouth dropped open when he realized it was gone. Where it once stood was a miniature pond of shimmering water.

****************************

Andrew was one-hundred percent sure he was dreaming. It was either that or he was at one crazy party. He slowly approached the puddle, where a boy with crow black hair still stood.

Clearing his throat, Andrew scooted beside the boy and a girl next to him. “Dark, isn't it?” he said.

The girl nodded slowly. “I just want to go home.” Sniffling, the girl walked off.

It was so dark that the girl's tears were almost invisible. Andrew shook his head. He had just seen a fawn dissolve into water. This is weird, Andrew thought. He stepped aside without looking at the stranger. Or was he? He looked a lot like a kid he had in his Physical Ed. Class.

Andrew peered down at the liquid where the baby deer had been. It looked almost solid, like crystal. In the watery mirror was a blonde haired, blue eyed boy. As he stomped on the surface, the boy faded in the ring of ripples.

Andrew had considered picking up the fawn and throwing it in the fire just to have a bit of mean-spirited enjoyment in the dream. However, he couldn't get himself to do it no more than he would willingly throw himself into a fire in the real world. They were both living as rogues, lost in their own world.

But he wasn't thinking about the deer anymore. Right now, only the rosebush had his attention. He cringed when droplets of blood dripped from the thorns onto the surface of the water. As they plopped into the puddle, the water froze.

“That's cool,” the boy, who was now standing at his left said.

Andrew tugged at the tight orange coat he was wearing. “Nah, I think it's creepy.”

“That's what I meant.”

“Make me care.”

“You know what? Go make yourself a thorn necklace out of that bush,” the boy said as he marched off.

“Oh, the poor fascist kid is angry,” Andrew said. "Whoa!" he gasped as a loud flapping noise fluttered overhead. "Wow!" he said. Coming from all four corners of the trees, were all kinds of animals, lumbering, slithering, swinging, and even flying creatures were making their way to the center of the field.

But in the darkness, it was hard to determine what kinds of animals they were. They were like breathing shadows. He shuddered. The people in the distance looked like zombies as they shuffled around.

“Hey, man, look at the ground!” a boy said, startling him.

“Sure, my imaginary friend” Andrew said, looking down. He practically jumped out of his skin as the grass beneath his feet deteriorated. The entire field was melting into liquid. He quickly realized it was water.

Andrew studied his environment. Only the ground beneath the trees was still land. A chorus of shouts rang through the field.

He shuffled his feet. Why wasn’t he sinking or at least getting his shoes wet? Shaking the question away, he swept his eyes over the flooded floor. The water was as black as oil.

He jumped when the water arched upward. When he landed, he noticed that the water hadn't even moved. Andrew jumped backwards as an orca launched itself out of the water. The black liquid splashed around him as it plunged back in.

He paced uncomfortably when a crocodile zipped through the black surface, whipping its tail from side to side, leaving a blip in its wake. He squatted down to see how deeply his feet penetrated the waters surface and jerked his head back.

The bottoms of his shoes didn't even grace the surface. He was hovering about an inch over the water. Should I pinch myself to see if I'm awake? He smiled at his own absurdness.

Such a wonder the dream had become. People were practically flying above the water as they moved around. Most were undoubtedly terrified. Andrew ignored them, only interested in the animals. He walked further away from the rosebush, whose roots were invisible, even under the water.

As he neared to the trees, more animals stepped into the field. Nervous eyes met his every time he passed somebody. When he had walked for what he guessed to be five minutes, he stopped. Andrew squinted at a tree in the distance. An orangutan, or a demonic shadow humanoid was curiously eyeing him from a low lying limb. The outlines of a komodo dragon, tiger, and a rhinoceros with a large bird on its back, stood directly beneath it.

They stood side by side, as if they were meant for coexistence. And these were animals that would be slaughtering each other if they ever met in the wild. Everything here was an inverted mirror image of the world he knew. Reality was altered and extincted animals were once again alive.

Stunningly magnificent birds were walking among the stalking lions, leopards, and many other predators without fear. Occasionally, however, some of the animals put on aggressive displays of defense when in the presence of each other. If it weren't for the unnatural plant life, and the fact that he was floating over water, he could have sworn he was fully conscious.

Some of the animals growled at the people. It was an unsettling sight, and made Andrew weary of the larger predators.

“Shoo! Go away!” a man said, waving his hands at a moose. The animal ducked its head as if preparing to charge, but quickly raised it and ran past the man.

Andrew walked around the field, making way for the animals that stalked past. He found himself unable to peel his eyes from them. Andrew stopped, his arms at his sides. All of the familiar and unfamiliar animals had gathered around the rosebush. He saw both gentle and predatory birds soar through the air above his head.

Among the list of other animals were a long necked emu and ostrich, various deer, a lumbering elephant, big cats, small mammals walking in between the larger animals feet, and various canine breeds. There was even a unicorn and a horse with wings. He knew if he turned around his mind would create more animals to populate his dream, so he didn't look back.

A gray wolf stood alone. “Stupid dog, don’t you know you don’t have to be territorial in my dream?” Andrew said.

It was typical of him to be sarcastic, even in a dream. He heard flapping, and felt a brush of wind on his neck. Andrew turned around and his mouth dropped open as a bald eagle landed on his shoulder.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 pm
Bickazer wrote a review...

Hey there, I'll take a crack at your revised version. Be warned that I can get very nitpicky and in-depth--I can write paragraphs picking apart an entire sentence. Don't let that put you of! :)

This should be a powerful image that opens the story with a bam, but it falls kind of flat. I mean, it doesn't really feel like we've been dropped in the middle of a burning forest. Part of that comes from the description being purely visual. We see the inferno and the blazing trees and dark forest, but we don't feel the heat or smell the smoke; factors which, I think, would be more immediately noticeable than the sight of the fire. It's a common tendency to want to describe only visual things, but remember, if you're to immerse us into this setting properly, you need to appeal to all five senses. Don't do a laundry list of taste/sight/smell/sound/touch, but decide which ones are more important--which ones will convey a stronger image--and write accordingly.

I've never been in a fire before, but using logic alone I'd assume that the heat is the first thing I'd feel if I suddenly found myself in a burning forest.

Also, this paragraph suffers from some awkward phrasings. I understand what you're trying to say, but I think that your sentences could stand to be phrased better, clearer. The "which caged him" part at the end of the first sentence, in particular, is a stumbler. Nor do I think it's necessary. Seems like you didn't want to finish the sentence where you had, so you tacked on some superfluous description. A shame, because without that bit the first sentence would be quite shocking and impactful. Don't be afraid to use short, emphatic sentences when they're necessary.

There were thousands of people around him, equally petrified.

In general, it is not a good idea to begin a sentence with "there was/were." In almost every case, you can find a more natural, concise way to state what you mean.

Okay, I laughed aloud at this. And not in a good way. This is, to put in bluntly, completely unrealistic. You find yourself in the middle of a burning forest. What's the first thing you do--run up to someone and ask them about their coat, or just stand around disoriented, trying to figure out what's going on?

Now that I think on it, it seems that Daniel was rather quick to figure out that he was in a forest in the first place. It's a good exercise to put yourself into a character's shoes to figure out how the character would react--at the very least it'll ensure you that your character's reactions will be based somewhat in reality, rather than being...completely out there and unrealistic. If you found yourself in the middle of somewhere that's burning up, would you be coherent enough to think "Oh, this is a forest?" Would you, when you see someone, ask them about their clothes or would you demand to know what the frak's going on, or ask them for some frakking help?

The "There's fire everywhere, man!" is a line that ought to be relegated to the realm of crappy 80's Saturday morning cartoons. Please don't use something like that seriously.

Err...and what does a youthful voice sound like? Young men have lots of different kinds of voices, you know. And it seems incongruous to mention that detail after the man's just pretty much insulted Daniel.

“Fine, Mr. Grumpy.”

Again, ask yourself if this is realistic. You're in a strange environment and the first person you ask for help is hostile to you. Would you grumble (rather immaturely, to boot) about how they're grumpy, or would you be shell-shocked, disoriented, and dispirited?

I have to mention that by this point, I'm really not liking Daniel. To be honest, I find myself hating him. He doesn't act like any human being I've ever met. He acts like a cartoon character, and a not very smart one, at that. Maybe he'll get better as I read on, but right now I'm dreading the prospect of reading more about him. Being able to create a strong impression of your protagonist within the first few paragraphs is a wonderful skill, but I get the feeling that you didn't intend Daniel to be this unlikeable.

This is an opening that has so much potential for drama--burning forest! Strangely behaving people--but your main character's reaction to it is so blase it ruins any drama and worse, credibility

He frantically scanned the dark environment, looking for any opening in his flaming surroundings.

This is the first sign of normal human behavior from Daniel. Even then, I'm finding him shockingly incurious about the whole thing.

Narrowing his eyes he saw that it was a flower bed.

Comma between "Narrowing" and "his."

“Hi. And no. I have no idea,” Daniel said. Looking at the edge of the field, his eyes grew wide.

Once again, ask yourself if real people in a real situation like this would talk so casually. Yes, I know this is a fiction story, but if your characters who are presumably human beings from this planet do not act like human beings from this planet, you are straining your credibility as a writer beyond belief. Generally the allure of fantasy--particularly urban fantasy, which I assume this is--is reading about people like us in situations we can never experience in our mundane lives. The "people like us" part is crucial. In order for us to identify with urban fantasy protagonists we have to expect them to have the same way that we would in such situations.

The fire was in the vague form of a square, matching the distant tree line.

Erm, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The way you're describing this makes it look like a bonfire someone intentionally set up, but then you describe the forest itself as burning, as if in a wildfire. The fact that the fire is confined to an area shaped in something as regular as a square implies that it's being controlled. A wildfire is a fire that has gone out of control.

Do you want there be a fire in the forest, or do you want the fores to be on fire? Stick to one or the other, because right now you're throwing a host of confusing, contradictory images at the readers.

And the "matching the distant tree line" part completely lost me. Is the tree line shaped like a squarea?

gray smoke floated.

Floated where?

"Floated" is an odd term to use for describing smoke. It gives an impression of intangibility; the more common verb I've seen associated with smoke is "billowed." It might seen like a minor thing, but when you're writing every word has to count. A word used wrong or in a weird way will jerk us directly out of the narrative, and the same goes for awkwardly phrased sentences.

What's going on? He hadn't gone camping last night. Was I sleepwalking? It was possible, but doubtful, because never in his life had he sleepwalked. And why are all these people here with me?

Well, finally Daniel's showing some curiosity. I wish we could've gotten more of this earlier--for instance, when he first lays eyes on the burning forest.

It might be a good time to mention just what Daniel had been doing before he ended up in the forest.

He spun in a circle and saw the trees slowly untwist.

??? I don't understand this at all.

These descriptions I find confusing, in part because I'm still working under the impression that the fire is confined in a square-shaped area. Is that not what you meant by square?

“Where did that come from?”

Daniel sure has a penchant for stating the obvious, huh?

The young deer was crying out in an agonizing melody of sorrow.

This is excessively melodramatic. You'd convey the same impression, but much less heavy-handedly, by cutting out the "agonizing melody of sorrow" part.

Hmm, I'm liking this paragraph a lot more than the previous ones. Daniel's displaying an admirable character trait, for one--he's kind--and the description of him looking bald in the fawn's eyes is a nice, specific detail. The kind of solid anchoring that this piece has been lacking.

Foot falls crunched on the grass.

"Footfalls" is one word, and I'm not sure if it's the appropriate word in this case. To me at least, "footfalls" carries the connotation of a softer sound than crunching.

Daniel looked up to see what they were.

But he already knows what they are! They're footfalls, as described in the previous section. Surely he should be wondering who they belong to, instead?

It might seem trivial, but you honestly do have to think long and hard over every single word and phrase you use. You might mean something, but if the prose doesn't actually say what you mean, then there's no point in saying later, "Well, what I meant to say was this." Your prose has to speak for itself, and to do that it has to be as clear as possible. I'm not saying that clarity is the only style of writing; there are a lot of writers who made their career from writing opaquely. The difference is that they were all well trained in the craft and knew exactly what they were doing. Nobody on this site is as talented as them (which makes sense, we're all young and learnign here). The vibe I'm getting from this entire piece is that you either don't care about whether your writing is clear or not, or you're struggling to put into solid form the words that are swirling, undisciplined and untamed, in your mind.

I'm going to be honestly harsh here and say that though this is a "new version," it reads more like a rough draft. The first time you jot down the pictures in your head. Something almost always gets lost in the translation, though. It's your job in the revisions to tighten every sentence, look over every word choice, and eventually regain what was lost.

Her face was rather cute, even with the dark spots under her eyes.

Different people have different ideas what is "cute." Describe what makes her face cute to Daniel--that would also create a more solid physical description of her.

...does anyone actually talk like this? Teenagers especially (I assume that Daniel is a teenager). I have only ever heard old ladies say "you silly goose."

I'm finding all of Daniel's interactions with the girl perplexing. I mean, they're in the middle of a burning forest, but they're trading banter and seem to have absolutely no concern for their lives. It doesn't ring true.

The man in the orange coat jogged to the left, exposing the side of his face.

You have a lot of awkward phrasings like this. Just try reading this sentence aloud. It doesn't come naturally off your tongue, does it? I get that you're trying to say that as the man jobs past, his face is exposed, but the way you're phrasing it implies that the man is exposing is face deliberately. Well, at least I think that's what it implies. The syntax is so tortured it's difficult to figure out.

Err...what? And just when I was beginning to think of Daniel as an actual human being. This line is a total non sequitur and the last thing that anybody in such a situation would think about. The way this scene is written makes me think that you've forgotten at some points that the characters are in the middle of a frakking burning forest. The setting doesn't just serve as a backdrop to be described once or twice but then thrown aside; characters are supposed to interact with the setting.

The fiery trees were now at least a quarter of a mile away.

Wait...so Daniel was moving? You've given no indication of that. For all I know, he's still crouched by the fawn.

the source of the sounds, which were growing in intensity.

See, here's another place where absolute clarity is essential. The way this sentence is set up implies that the source is growing in intensity, whereas I think you mean to say that the sounds themselves are.

Its antlers were on fire, while the rest of its body was unsigned by the flames.

"Unsigned?" Did you mean to say "untouched?"

This is another image that should be striking, just like the burning forest. Don't be afraid to go into detail describing it.

“It's amazing,” he said.

“What is?” the girl said.

“That deers adapted to forest fires.”

Errgh, must I repeat the old "real people don't act this way" canard?

I mean, these kids just saw a stag that's on fire and still alive! Geez, and the only thing they can think to say is "The deer's apated to forest fires?" I doubt that will be the first thought that crosses your mind if you witness such a thing.

To be honest, at this point, I'm not sure if I want to continue. The characters are the driving force behind a story, even a plot-based one. If they behave in unrealistic ways, you've lost the audience's willing suspension of disbelief. As it is, I have trouble believing that these people are even people at all. They have no personalities and they behave as no human being on Earth ever would. You've said before that you don't know any people and that's why you have trouble writing them. So you don't have a family? No classmates? No neighbors? Come on, you must at least talk to cashiers when you buy stuff from the store, unless you live as a recluse and order everything online. But even then, you should at least interact with your frakking landlord/landlady.

Look, I like being a recluse too. When I was younger I thought nothing could be grander than living as a hermit and writing all day. But it is IMPOSSIBLE to become a good writer if you don't know people. If you don't know how they talk, how they behave, how they think, what their hopes and dreams are. If you can't put yourself in other peoples' shoes. I've always believed empathy to be the fundamental characteristic of a writer. It took me a long time to develop my sense of empathy and that involved having to get out, go into the real world, make friends, talk to people, observe people, and basically, live in the goddamned real world.

I'm getting the feeling that by this point, going line-by-line would be a waste. The problems with this piece are fundamental. They go beyond mere awkward sentence structures and misplaced commas.

Quite simply, your characters are not people. Your story has no logic to it. It is a mess of inconsistencies with some nice images thrown in.

I don't mean to be this harsh. Normally I am not. I honestly went in this expecting to enjoy it, and I tried to like it. I almost always try to find at least one thing to like about a story--I do like some things. You have a lot of powerful, well-developed images. The deadly rosebush, the flaming stag, the fawn dissolving into water, the gathering of animals at the end. The entire scene itself reads like something out a creation fable--we have destruction, then rebirth. It doesn't make sense, but that reinforces the sense that something grand and epic is going on, beyond the comprehension of mere humans.

So I liked that. But that is not enough to make up for the shallow farces of characters, nor the fact that nothing that's going on makes any sort of logical sense. A whole bunch of random crap is happening and nobody reacts in a sensible, realistic way. It's beyond frustrating. You have these wonderful images, but there is barely any sense of wonder because the people involved don't have any sense of wonder. In a lot of stories here, I see characters who are less people than cardboard cutouts forced to move as the plot demands. But I can't evcen call your characters even that. There doesn't seem to be any discernable plot, and their actions don't seem to do anything to further it. They're just...there. They're all ciphers, with no personalities and no motivations.

Maybe this is supposed to represent somebody's dream (Andrew certainly thinks it is) and that's why nobody behaves like they have a brain. If it is a dream sequence, it has gone one rather longer than it should. Or maybe I need to take drugs to understand what's going on.

I'm sorry about being mean. I know you must have worked hard on this--I mean, you've even revised this. It must hurt beyond all comprehension to have somebody tear it down to its very foundations. You don't have to agree with everything I said, or even carry out any of my suggestions.

I guarantee you, though, that if you don't start understanding people now, you will have a very hard time writing in the future.

PM me if you have any questions.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Once again, tweaked.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:43 am

OK, done Ranger Hawk. :wink: I added the detail of everybody being able to see each other. I hope it helps. :P

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:06 am

I guess. :(
And, you're one of the few people on here that I know.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:44 am
Ranger Hawk says...

Sure you know people. Unless all of us here on YWS aren't people. Which is an odd thought. ;)

Think about the characters in books you've read; think about the contrasting personalities, the little nuances and idiosyncrasies that makes that person that specific person.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:25 am

I'm not good at writing characters. I don't know any people, so I wouldn't know how a person thinks. :(

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:27 am
Ranger Hawk wrote a review...

Thanks! Okay, well I read the second version, and I don't really have much to correct, grammar-wise, there were a few errors but not a bunch of recurring ones that I noticed, so I chose not to go all nitpicky on you. :P

Your descriptions were good; you do a great job of painting such a surreal world. There were some parts that I found rather confusing, but I think that's mainly due to the oddities that's going on in this "dream."

The animals, especially the stag with the flaming antlers, were all really interesting; something I'd like to warn you about, though, is that right now there isn't a lot of attachment for the reader. You've introduce three people to us, but so far there's no one that I really "care" about yet, and essentially that's part of what's going to keep people reading. They want to know whether their favorite character makes it out okay, or what's going to happen, etc.

Another thing that came to mind is wouldn't they all see each other if they were in the same spot? Just a thought of mine.

Again, though, excellent descriptions; I love the rosebush part especially. And the scene where Andrew is hovering above the water - so epic! :D

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:28 am

There it is! I have been hunting for this post of mine for a while. For some reason it did not appear on my user portfolio. :lol:

*Wipes sweat off brow*

Here it is Ranger Hawk. :D

Edited according to suggestions. :D

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:15 pm
Pretty Crazy wrote a review...

I thought it was beautiful. I had to focus hard to half-understand what you were saying, but I think I got the picture. Your description was actually not that bad. It was confusing because I had no idea where this took place. I have a feeling it's not just any dream.

He knew if he turned around my mind would create more animals to populate his dream,

Okay, that makes no sense at all. You were saying "his" and "he" but where did the "my" come from?

I think you should go through and put all the thoughts in italic, it would make it a little easier to read. :)

Overall, I liked it. The description was vivid. In some ways I liked what happened, you did a good job making the me picture it in my mind. But in other ways, I found the change of scenes confusing. I mean the boy right now. In the first part there's fire all around hi, but in the second part there's water? When did that happen?
Also, this isn't very catching to the reader. But once you get into it, it's amazing. Your start was hard to understand, it wasn't flowing and easy to read- actually, I had that problem the entire story. Reading should be smooth and easy to follow, sorry to say this is not. Which is kind of sad, because there's a lot of amazing detail in this. So if you work on your flow it will be quite a bit better.
Sorry if I was harsh. Really, I think you did a great job. :D

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:57 pm
captain.classy wrote a review...

Let alone why he was even in a forest in the first place. All he could afford to think about now was how was he going to get out.

Should be: "All he could think of was how he was going to get out." In your original, there are just too many words.

Calling it a ring of fire wasn't a good description, because the fire was in the perfect shape of a square, matching the too distant tree line.

The first part is too much. It doesn't flow well and makes it sound confusing.

I have got to quit eating sugary foods so late into the night. Although it will be hard since they’re so good. But I sure could cut down on the lard.

For goodness sake I want to be awake!

So, when did you turn to first person? You do that a lot in this. You might want to go back and change it.

Unlike the flower bed not all of them turned to ash, and then snow.

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. I have no idea what you are talking about!

I'm sorry to say that I didn't read the entire thing. You posted a lot, and, no offence, but I found it really confusing. By half, I had no idea what you were talking about.
Sorry again!
~Classy

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Please comment. Negative, positive, or if you have a talent of being neutral you can comment to.

I didn't know beards could do that ;)
— ShadowVyper