z

Young Writers Society



Lullaby

by Ashkitten83


Hush little baby, don't you cry.

Mama's going to sing you, your own lullaby.

You were sent from heaven above,

And packaged with all God's love.

He wrapped you up with golden dreams,

And sent you down on angel's wings.

He kissed you on the forehead, as He whispered "goodbye"

And that is why you should never cry. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 4091
Reviews: 118

Donate
Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:27 pm
Reet3103 wrote a review...



Hey.

The first line kind of reminded me of Eminem's Mockingbird xD goes like, "now hush little baby, don't you cry, everything's gonna be alright"

Anyways, I liked it. It's short, but it's a lullaby after all. The rhyme scheme was good. I liked how you created a lullaby, which kids would love. If I think from a kiddo's point of view, I'd be like "wow, God sent me" :P Honestly, it was actually great.

Keep writing and stay blessed.

xo




Ashkitten83 says...


Thanks so much Reet for the great review! And you stayed blessed too!!!



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:19 pm
Mea wrote a review...



Aw, this is really sweet. It's something I'd sing to my kid for sure.

There's not a lot I have to say here, mostly because it's so short and simple. Lullabies are generally short, and you follow that here, but you could expand it just a little bit more. And the thing is, people are still going to have bad days and feel like crying. So perhaps you could make it more along the lines of "you're going to have bad days, but you'll get through it and always remember God's love for you." You don't really have to, but it's an option.

And packaged with all God's love.

The rhythm in this line seems slightly off to me. I think it just needs an extra syllable. Perhaps "all of God's love" would work?

Mama's going to sing you, your own lullaby.

You don't need a comma between "you" and "your." I'm pretty sure you did it so it wouldn't look weird having "you" and "your" right next to each other, but it throws off the flow of the poem. Also, why is "your own" italicized? Is there something significant that it's their own lullaby? If so, you might want to address that later in the poem.

He kissed you on the forehead, as He whispered "goodbye"

Again, the comma throws off the flow of the poem, plus it's technically not grammatically correct.

Anyway, that's it. Good luck and keep writing!




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 32
Reviews: 47

Donate
Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:13 pm
RebelWriter wrote a review...



Ooh, I love this version. May start singing it myself(to my siblings as I have NO kids). Only thing is any word referring to God, such as 'he' should be capitalized As God is a holy deity. Also I think 'heaven' gets capitalized too. I think any little kid would be soothed by this song, its very good. Perfect for naps or bedtime or perhaps thunderstorms too. I like the rhyming it's simple yet sweet. Favorite line, 'He wrapped you up with golden dreams' I really like that one. We need more dreams to come alive and bring out the child in us.




Ashkitten83 says...


Thank you, and yes I will fix the capitalization immediately. I wrote this for my first child because I hated singing the traditional lullabies, that end with a baby falling (ouch) or a nonsensical string of meaningless lyrics. I now sing it to all my children and I am so glad you enjoyed it. :) and again, thanks so much for the review.




Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson