Web Life

by AsTheFlowersGrow

My name is Tony and I am a spider. I have spent many weeks weaving this web. All of the strings are laid out so perfectly. All of the lines fit together so beautifully. When I come home after a long night and I see the dew on the lines, it makes my eyes water. It truly is a magnificent web, and I am very proud of what I have created.

When other creatures come around, they gawk at my web. “That’s a beautiful home you have there, Tony.” says the bees.

“Thank you. I built it myself.” I respond.

One day, big creatures came up to my web and stared with wide eyes and an open mouth.

“Look at the web, Mama!” the youngest of the family said while she pulled on her mother’s coat.

“That’s nice, Dear.” The mother ignored the girl.

The girl, upset, came closer to my house. She got close enough to frighten me so I ran behind a leaf and watched from there. She gazed at the dew covered web. The young girl look astonished.

In one quick motion, the girl stuck her finger into the web and broke one of my lines.

I gasped, “My web…”

The young girl then picked up a stick and ran it through my web. Every stroke on the web was more and more devastating. I had worked so hard and it just got ruined. Now, because of her wonder, I am tired, homeless, and upset. 

Elijah wrote a review...

King here

Hello there!

Your work is adorable and just stunning. It is sad that the spider lost his home in the end but its passion about this beautiful creation. The details are good but you could add a bit more, more about the way the webs sit down on each other and how they look into the eyes of the humans. The other thing is that you do not need to tell us they are humans and what exactly is happening, we as the readers can do the job to think of it in our minds and understand who the actually bigger beings are, the humans. Well, this is not such a big deal.

I would love to see more imagery put into it. I know you want to write it all through the eyes but without leaving the prespiction, you could describe the girl's or the mother's ways of thinking also.

In general, this was a very sweet story even if it sounded very silly and ended sadly. It shows that sometimes we ruin things without even realizing it, only because we are curious. And we are ruining something someone had worked hard for.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:57 am
mellifera says...

I honestly love this so much. Right now I'm going to pass on a review, because I just wanted to say that as a huge fan of spiders, this is something that I think needs more appreciation. I have a (weird?) tendency to name every spider I see, and I really enjoyed that you gave the spider the name Tony.

Just a short little comment of excitement and encouragement, I hope to see more from you as well :)

-inky

mellifera says...

Of course! :)

tigeraye wrote a review...

I would never in a million years have thought of writing a story from the perspective of a spider, and now I'm cursing myself because I never thought of doing it. I try my best to avoid killing spiders because they don't deserve it, but this just puts it in a beautiful perspective of how bad a spider must feel to have their hard work destroyed. This might be one of my favorite stories I've read in a long time on this website. Wow.

On day, big creatures came up to my web and stared with wide eyes and an open mouth. They were humans.

This is a nitpick, but just remember that your readers aren't idiots. If you describe it a bit thoroughly, we can already tell that these people are humans. The last sentence just isn't necessary.

She got close enough to frighten me so I ran behind a leaf and watched from there.

Here, the spider describes the emotion he's feeling, but I'd rather he shows how frightened he is rather than telling us. Use strong detail to better convey the fear as the woman drew closer. And describe how she walked, how fearsome each step she took is.

It seems like the foundation is there for a good story, and I'm just in love with the idea. But I'd really like you to take stories to the next level and really go into more nitty-gritty detail about what's going on with your characters. But I love it because the premise is so simple, yet so good. Really nice, I hope I can read more from you.

Thank you so much! I will fix the errors I made. Sorry I made so many!

I get a lot of comments about how my writing isn't detailed. I know that it isn't but I have trouble saying the right thing in any other way than this. I can try to develop it on my own time. Thank you for the encouragement!

Dracula wrote a review...

Hey there, AsTheFlowersGrow!

I have to admit that I find Tony to be a funny name for a spider. But hey! He's your spider, and I can't think of a better name. The language used is really fitting to this piece; I can tell that Tony is extremely proud of his web. It is his pride and joy, and phrases like 'so beautifully' an 'so perfectly' make that obvious.

On day, big creatures came up to my web
You missed an 'e' in one day.

Now, I know that the mother is referring directly to hr daughter. But I don't think that 'Dear' should be capitalised. It's not really a proper noun. You still might want to check that, bubt I'm 90 percent sure.

In one quick motion, the girl stuck her finger into the web and broke on of my lines.
Forget another e. I did not think this would happen! I actually gasped a little myself, and felt pretty devastated for that poor spider named Tony. This piece contained pure feelings, pride, and devastation and surprise. For a short piece, even flash fiction, I thought it was top notch. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much! I'm sorry I missed those simple mistakes! I'm so embarassed! Thank you for your review.

By the way, the reason I named him Tony was because last year, a friend of mine found a spider in the hallway. She picked him up so that the other students wouldn't step on him and said, "His name shall be Tony," and then released him away from the students.

He began to wonder why he had felt uneasy at all. It was like a man wondering in broad daylight why a dream had appeared so terrible to him at night.
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart