Finding my voice, using Wulthus's travel as an example

by ArtisanofGuild

I am having trouble finding my voice, after reading these place the number of the one you like most(the first being 1, and the second 2). and plz explain why you liked or didn't like something.

Kurgiel to Guild Of Hura.

In the Distance, stood an array of speckled mountains, some peakless and massive, seemingly challenging the higher heavens. Others stout in comparison but respectable still, rapiers in the midst of broadswords. The beginnings of a vast forest were tucked at the base of the highlands and ended many miles down. Plains followed, a spread of brown swallowed the earth in its coming. However the dull land’s reign ended abruptly only to be followed by more wood. The trees of this wood were not thick but were much taller, and large spaces rested between each brush. As the land began to descend, the hard earth became formless marshes, blanketed with thick fogs, trees were scarce here. In the Marshes end, the earth found shape again in random mounds. The hills of land portrayed a storm-burdened-ocean frozen in time. The hills fade and a slate of grasslands cover the last of the distance, the great gate of Hura follows.

The Dry River Pass runs through these lands like a vein streaking down an arm, and branching like a leafless tree. At it’s head it necks down in three different directions, Wulthus had chosen the Western Pass, and was now well on his way home.

There is a path.

It is known as the Dry River Pass, and to some The Great Vein, to few as Meorin’s crossing, and to the people of Hura The Western Pass. There are more there always is, But it is better known as The Dry River Pass. Wulthus had already treaded west of Hura using this route. And to his back were the Sailon Marshes, the hills of Solomon, and a slate of grassland that goes unnamed which leads to Hura. Before him lay, in the distance, an array of Speckled Mountains, some peakless others stout. Tucked keenly to the base of these mounts was the beginning of a vast forest that only ended after miles of reign. The forest’s rule ended as most regime’s do, abruptly. Followed by an ocean of swaying plains, brown and high. Another forest takes part only short after, not as tremendous but a forest nonetheless. Wulthus was just entering the forest, his cloak tied tightly around his shoulders, pack wavering flimsily from his back, and his blade strapped tightly about his waist.

Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:28 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Second's one slightly better because it includes some character, but both are rather boring since it's just a bunch of names and descriptions of something that seems so fake. There is not one original description of the land that makes you go "ooo." What features of the land does your character see?

Or maybe he's the technical type that will only see this sort of stuff?

Meh.

Go for a wilder description.

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners