Absolute - Chapter 2

by Vervain

-text removed-

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:03 pm
EPICnumber1 wrote a review...

Hello, Epic here!
Sorry if this is too short but everyone has explained everything and I haven't read chapter one yet. I don't usually review chapters so it's kind of different for me.
Alright so the first thing I noticed was this chapter is long, not too long but long enough that I had to keep checking where this ended.

I love your characters, they are likeable and well described.

I love the opening line, I dragged me into this story and kept me reading! Good job on that! I don't see where the sci-fi comes into this but I'm guessing that in a few chapters you'll introduce the readers to some awesome new characters or aliens or just sci-fi stuff. Which is cool, I personally do enjoy sci-fi.

This chapter is actually really well written, that everyone has said more or less everything needed to be said. I really enjoyed reading this!

(sorry it's so short)

~~EPICnumber1~~

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:35 pm
Songmorning wrote a review...

I love Mavon! Such a colorful character. It's the little details that make her interesting, like the mint bubblegum. And the way she talks. Of course, the more major details, like her purple hair, certainly add to it too.

This might be nitpicking, but I noticed what seemed like a discrepancy: When Elijah was talking to Mavon outside the library, "He leaned against the pillar again and stared down at the ground." Then Mavon offered him coffee, and, "He snapped his head down to stare at her."

It's the word "down" in the second part that gave me pause. It seemed that he was looking down before, and there's no indication that he raised his head up before he snapped it down again. Either you might say, "He snapped his head up to stare at her", or you might add in a sentence in which he glances up at the sky. My current mental image is of a video game character's head glitching a bit, because it has to go up to go down again.

Not sure what this chapter has to do with the "Last night on earth" stuff in the first chapter...I still don't have any further clues about what that meant, but I'm expecting to find out before too long. :) I'm still enjoying it a lot!

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:36 pm
kayfortnight wrote a review...

Hey Ark! Sorry it took me a while to get to this, this week has been absolutely insane.

'Hello, I'm calling from E-Quire about a debt owed to the Orange County Library System' had just made Elijah's list of sentences he never wanted to hear again.
Best opening line ever.

Morgan, Mavon. The similarity in names is not necessarily an issue, but it could be, especially if there's any similarities at all in their personalities. Just a thought to consider, though I'm not one to talk, with potentates, patricians, and proletariat all running about in my story :)

Characters:

Mavon: Disrespect for authority, a bit of a punk attitude. Liking her so far. "Friendliest head librarian," so obviously well-liked by at least Elijah and probably the rest of the townsfolk too. I particularly like the coffee "it's not a date" thing. Says she's very confident but also forward and lacking subterfuge, although of course that could always be a facade. Golden eyes... hmm... (A bit more 'human' of a description while still getting the same color across could be amber, since people tend to generalize that which doesn't make sense into something that does, or perhaps Elijah could have a "with that hair wouldn't surprise me if she wore colored contacts" type thought that would match the analytic behavior we've seen from him so far.) I like her division of work and life, even if Elijah doesn't. Which actually makes sense because with Elijah's philosopher thing, his "work" is also his life, so he wouldn't trust the people who divide it.

Elijah: Bookworm with money troubles, which fits in with the amateur (as in not paid to do it) philosopher thing from last chapter. He's kind of cynical in this chapter, moreso in the last when he seemed to be more easygoing with the pessimistic thoughts being quickly glossed over like the cops really wanting to arrest him one.

Morgan: Not enough info to make any assumptions at all, except that she maybe works for E-quire.

Other:

There was no one there to see them but an old man walking a dog, and he looked more invested in the pigeons.

Dun dun dah. He's so a supervillain/alien/Obi Wan guy.

...Or I could just be overreaching and amusing myself.

Setting:

As before, all good that I can see, so I'm only going to point out special stuff.

It was almost identical to the carpet in the apartment, down to the strange brown stain in the middle of the hall.

Cool. Definitely establishes both library and apartment as poorer, cheaper establishments.

Plot:

Slow in coming, and we haven't had any real hints about the overarching one yet (unless it's about books or lack of money), but I'm not bored. I like the characters and I like the style, but I will admit it reads like a realistic story or maybe even a bunch of vignettes, so I'd say throw in some serious dangly plot hooks next chapter to give Elijah a push. There's only so long overdue library books can hold our attention, unless they're the kind that suck you into the story to live it or they eat people or you do an Arabian Nights story within a story thing or... Y'know what, forget it. Overdue library books can hold a lot of attention. But seriously, dangly plot hooks that'll snag his trousers and not let him go until he gives us a story :)

And you so didn't do the challenge.

Vervain says...

Oh yes I totally did do the challenge >> Like I said, the word I used teeeechnically exists... But there's no such thing as a "leadline" in a book :P

Thanks a billion for your feedback! And yeah, next chapter is when the plot is going to kick up; it won't be all out "OMG INVAAAASION" or anything, but we're going to get some actual sci-fi and some aliens stuff to offset the more realistic theme of these first two chapters.

Morgan's more of a minor character who probably won't be showing up all the time, so it's likely that Mavon will become the primary M-name in the text (not to mention, I didn't even notice the Morgan/Mavon thing until this chapter, because Morgan was a last-minute addition last chapter xD). All the same, it's a good thing to know that I should keep their personalities distinct, yeah.

And oh no! You've discovered my secret plan! Old Man with Dog is secretly the main antagonist! Noooooo D: (but really, that would be an awesome alternate reality xD)

Thanks again~ (and I'll be scurrying over to review your patricians, potentates, and proletariat in a couple hours :P)

Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:28 pm
Carlito wrote a review...

Hey Arkhaion! I'm here for the big review!

I read the first chapter and thought it was lovely, so I thought I'd hop over to the second chapter and get it out of the green room before review day madness starts. :)

I must say, I love your writing style. Even though the plot is pretty slow right now, I'm still engaged because your prose is interesting. It flows really nicely, it's easy to read (no flowery language or unnecessary add-ins), and the voice is good (not boring but also not over the top).

As I already said, the plot is moving slowly, which isn't horrible. It's giving the reader a chance to get used to the major players and the world before whatever it is that's going to happen, happens. This is classified as a realistic sci-fi, which is a little confusing to me - I didn't know realistic sci-fi existed (sounds a little oxymoronic to me, but I don't read much sci-fi :p). This feels very realistic to me, but I'm not picking up the sci-fi. It's still early, so that could be a thing that's coming later.

I'm going to talk about more specific things now :)

The information wasn't that complicated, but he was having a hard time believing it—it had to be some kind of elaborate prank, someone trying to freak him out. Probably Morgan, if he knew her at all.

This could go either way, but I would personally use a period to separate those "it"s, and then maybe change the second one to "this" to get rid of the repetition. I think it looks a little clunky as is.
I'm also struggling with "if he knew her at all". I get what you're trying to say, but it's one of those lines that's a little confusing upon a first read. Maybe experiment with something that would give us a little more insight on her character and their relationship? Something like "it seemed like something she would find amusing".

let the collections agency girl's voice wash over him like a cool bath of acid.

Beautiful <3

"If payment is not received within the next thirty days," she said in a chipper tone, "E-Quire reserves the legal right to seek prosecution on behalf of our client. Thank you, and have a great day!"

You can seriously be prosecuted for not paying library fines? I've never heard of that before. I get it, but it seems a little extreme.

There was a moment in which his mother would have said he damn near jumped out of his skin.

Huh? I get that he was startled and jumped, but the wording here is funny, in my opinion.

"Holy—" He covered his mouth to stop himself from finishing that sentiment, and gave the head librarian a strained smile. "Good morning, Ms. Leuwing. I didn't see you there."

She raised an eyebrow and leaned back, resting a hand on one popped hip. "Really now? I'm supposed to believe you didn't see me?" With her free hand, she tugged a lock of her dark purple hair in front of her face. "I guess I need to dye this brighter, then."

Lots of lovely little nuggets in here to develop the characters! Elijah stopping himself from swearing, her posture and actions towards him - good stuff :) You do a nice job of naturally and gently putting in these little tidbits rather than making a point to put them in. I try to help people with this all the time, like when you first introduce Ms. Leuwing you don't have to give a full run down of her body type, hair and eye color, and outfit in one big blob - it's more effective to let the important things come out naturally. Very refreshing :)

"No, no," he muttered, "I just... Got a phone call earlier. I'm a little preoccupied." Elijah shrugged and ruffled his own hair, and cast a glance towards the library's front door.

This is a really minute thing - but that repetition of "and" bothers me a little.

He groaned and closed his eyes. He didn't even want to guess the time, but he'd been standing out there for well over half an hour, the sun beating angrily into his head. "What the hell?"

Why is Mavon there if it's not going to be open for a while?
I was also a little confused by his verbal reaction. I get that he's frustrated and upset, but "what the hell" felt a lot more forward than he's been so far (especially with Mavon). I obviously don't know him as well as you do, but I think a simple exasperated "why" would work well.

She grumbled the agency's name with the exact amount of respect reserved for dog shit, and a wave of relief ran through Elijah.

Love this as much as that comparison to acid you did before <3

"Yeah, you might want to get that paid back. Listen, while you're here, do you want some coffee?"

Like in the library? (I thought it was closed). Where exactly are they? Are there lots of stores around or something?

I just had some extra, thought you might want it." She held out a paper cup stamped with the logo of some indie coffeeshop in the strip.

Ah. The way it's worded in that other line I mentioned, it sounds like she's inviting him to go to a coffee shop with her. I didn't realize she was holding coffee in her hands. Maybe something to mention a little earlier? I feel like that's something he would notice.

Caffeine sounded like Heaven, on a date or no. Elijah still felt half-asleep even after his shower, but he'd come to expect that when he snatched four hours of sleep in a crowded bar—and he knew better than to turn down an offer of free coffee. He took a sip of the coffee; the bitterness almost drowned out the sour taste of that E-Quire call.

On a date or no - she said it wasn't a date, and this seems very un-date-like as all she's done was show up at a place he was already at and offer him coffee. I'm a little confused as to why he's thinking that this could potentially be a date.
I slashed that one little bit to get rid of some of that "coffee" repetition.

He almost asked what people—then if she could read his mind—before remembering what they'd been talking about. Instead, he popped the top off of the coffee cup and drained the rest, and tossed the cup in the trash can. "Guys like that, or E-Quire?"

The bold part confused me. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here.
I'm also not sure what "guys" he's referring to. I can't remember any mention of guys other than the discussion about E-Quire.

Elijah felt himself phase very slowly out of and into reality. Or maybe that was just the coffee kicking in, but he was very sure that Mavon had not just said what he'd heard her say. "I'm sorry?"

That first sentence - is this part of the sci-fi element, or is he disassociating, or am I looking waaaay to into this and it's really just the coffee?
Also, I'm a little confused at his reaction again. Why can't he believe what she said? Is it that he's surprised it's taken her this long to offer? Did he not know she had a key? Is it because it'll be just the two of them in there? Is it because of the offer she gave him about the books?

Unless you want to feed yourself to those jackals."

Which jackals? E-Quire or these "guys". Are the "guys" the board of commissioners?

Some combination of the caffeine and the knowledge that the girl with the chipper voice wouldn't get a penny out of his bank account.
...
A feeling of euphoria raced through him, then sank like a lead balloon in his stomach when he remembered how much lighter his wallet would be in a minute.

Way back at the beginning when Elijah thought this all had to be a prank - exactly what was the potential prank - that he owed all of these fines or that there was a potential for legal action or something else? I'm curious because he hasn't done anything to confirm or deny that this is some kind of prank - he's just going to give his money away. Obviously he owes fees, which makes me think that he thought the legal action part was a prank. Maybe show his thought process of realizing that this isn't a prank and it's something he has to deal with?
Also, the offer Mavon gives makes it sound like he's not going to have to pay any fees. And then you have this first line I quoted which makes it sound like he's not going to have to pay any fees. But then in the second line I quoted, he knows he's going to have to pay something. I would maybe make it more clear that Mavon is going to handle the payment through the library or say "the chipper voice from the phone" (because I forgot about the chipper voice and thought it was referring to Mavon).

What apartment?

Her easygoing nature seemed to melt away when she was in the library; she was replaced by a wall of rock called Ms. Leuwing, and that wall of rock was very good at its job.

You could show us this - the dialogue that comes right before this could be a good opportunity to show her tone or facial expression and this shift in her personality.

A short sci-fi novel, exactly what he needed to get out of his high fantasy funk as of late.

I would do "...sci-fi novel was exactly what he needed..." or "sci-fi novel - exactly what he needed". I think it reads easier that way.

He shoved the bookmark into one of the many pockets of his cargo shorts and pulled his wallet out. A bad feeling passed through him as he counted the bills, but he shoved it away and handed over exactly fifty-three dollars—and all of the pennies in his wallet.

Why does he have a bad feeling? And I would change one of those "shoved"s.

Character stuff
I already mentioned how I love the little character development details that you add in. I read the first chapter pretty quickly, so this was my first real deep look into these characters. Already after a chapter I have a good understanding of their personalities and who they are. Obviously this is going to change and develop throughout the rest of the book, but there's a good foundation right now.

I enjoyed the relationship between Elijah (PS - I really love that name) and Mavon. I skimmed the review and comments below, and I didn't get a romantic vibe at all from them. I felt that Mavon was friendly/flirty and Elijah was a little uncomfortable with her flirtyness when that came out. They clearly know each other well and I got a strong friendly vibe, especially when they were in the library. Mavon is fun (I wish I could do purple hair!) and their relationship is fun.

Plot stuff
This chapter had all the major things you want to see - there was a problem (the library fines), a goal (to get rid of the fines), conflict (library is closed), stakes (legal action), and resolution (Mavon helps him out). It was interesting and I learned things about the characters, but I'm not sure how the plot moved forward. Sure, he got rid of his library fees and didn't have to pay the big bad company, but so? I'm not sure where you're going with this story or what the overarching plot is yet. I feel like things are still getting set up and we're kind of floating along while Elijah does things. It wasn't boring or confusing to read by any means, but at the end I'm left wondering where we can possibly go from here. There's the weirdness from the last chapter with Morgan and her family - but I don't know what we're doing here. I want to get into the good stuff :)

In closing
You're a really good writer, and you know your craft. This was really refreshing to read because I feel like I say the same things review after review (show emotions, avoid adverbs, describe more, too much flowery/unnecessary descriptions) and you've got it all down. I'm sorry if you wanted a soul-crushing rip-apart nitpick, but I think this is too good for that :)
(And encouragement is good sometimes, too, right? :p)

Looking forward to seeing how you develop this story! Let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing!

Vervain says...

Thank you very much for your feedback! I really enjoyed reading this review, and it definitely helped me pick out some of the stuff I was unsure of in this chapter. A lot of the time I'll look at a chapter and go "that doesn't feel quite right", but I won't know what's wrong or how to fix it, so reviewers like you are a lifesaver <3

And a little note, yeah, you can actually face some prosecution for overdue fees (at least, in the Orange County Library System you can). I looked it up originally to find out how much overdue fees were, and found out that the OCLS has the right to use a collections agency to collect owed fees of a certain amount, and a federal agency to collect fees of a higher amount. So it might not be like "toss you in jail for five years" prosecution, but they could certainly find ways to make Elijah pay.

Thanks again~

Carlito says...

So glad you found it helpful!! :)

And whoa that's crazy! I get why, but whoa :o

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 pm
Ronald559 wrote a review...

In this great piece you've got...

"No, bad dog, bad Elijah."

It was really awful to read, it jumps out of the page in a bad way. You should find something else she says instead of this.

Anyway you've got a good piece here. It was very realistic, which isn't usually the case for this website. Nothing out of place, and your characters are defined enough that you see two separate entities. Not this blur moving in your mind. It's funny at times, I didn't laugh out loud but still. I thought the librarian woman was around 25 or so. I don't know any librarians personally but it wouldn't matter because at least you didn't give me that boring, mean librarian everyone is familiar with. She's attractive or so it seems, because the main character finds her alluring. I won't complain but does she like the guy at all? It seems that way. A little too friendly.

The coffee bit was nice but I have to say it's just coffee. It doesn't insinuate a date at all. And her forwardness is a little awkward. I wouldn't change it though, I still like it as a scene.

Overall you have a good piece, it's the second chapter so I'm not sure where you're going with this. I found it interesting because it isn't science fiction or fantasy. And it still grabs your attention. Good job.

Vervain says...

Actually, Mavon isn't interested in Elijah at all beyond friendship, and her dialogue might seem a little too awkward or a little too forward at times because she's neither a native English speaker nor a native American, where this is set in Florida (Orlando, to be precise).

In fact, she's only lived in Orlando for 3 years, and had less than a year of cultural training and less than two years of linguistic training before that. She understands the culture at a basic level, but because she deals day in and day out with guys who ask her for dates, she tends to assume that most guys want dates. So she guards herself against that and says "yeah, no dating" even in situations where it might not be implied.

As far as the "No, bad dog, bad Elijah" line goes, it's a little awkwardly punctuated, I'll admit, but it's a set of phrases that I've heard from many people in my area%u2014speaking as someone who lives in Florida%u2014and it fits the idea she wants to communicate, so I'm hesitant to cut it. I might change the punctuation, though, so it's easier to read.

Thank you for your feedback. ^^

Ronald559 says...

I've lived in Florida for 12 years and have never heard that before. And have been all around it. I still live there.

Where is Mavon from?

Vervain says...

I've lived in Florida for 19 years and I hear it quite a bit, and I've been to every corner as well.

Mavon was born on a very small island in the middle of the ocean (on a planet a few star systems away). This is going to be lighter sci-fi, so I'm not going to go into all the heavy mechanics and details of potential FTL travel, but it's useful to note that she's not actually human.

Ronald559 says...

I see. Anyway I've never heard that used unless it was an actual dog, or a cheesy show.
"No, bad dog, bad Arkhaion."

I strongly advise you to change it.

Vervain says...

I asked some folks I know on here, who also said they'd used it heard in the manner I used it, so it's not just a Floridian thing. I will take your comments into account -- but I'm not really looking to edit this until my second draft, so I'll make a note of it for later.

Ronald559 says...

Revise. Revise. Revise.

That's writing. But do as you wish.

Vervain says...

I'm not going to edit until I'm done with the entire novel. If I start editing now, I'll never finish -- it's happened to me before with other WIPs. You might not realize, but this is a first draft, so it's not like I have a complete copy stashed away somewhere.

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson