z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence Mature Content

A Modern Siren

by AriannaC


The circus tents were winding down from the massive hubbub for the night. A steady east wind had begun to pick up.

Rodger was still half naked from his sword throwing act which was obviously designed for female entertainment. The oils rippling over his bare chest and arms caught the chill of the night, but he didn't seem to be bothered by it. In fact just about this time he was cackling at the mild chill in his head and imagining the wind as tentacles of some Monolithic Kraken which he was lopping off with professional precision.

" Yo Rodge, do you think you could run to the store and get some makeup remover? This shit is stubborn." Rodger's brother Nicholas emerged from the trailer, face still glittering as if the stars themselves had reached down and painted him with silvery ease where he had formerly been wiggling along perfectly without a wiggle amiss on the high-wire act.

How he managed to not sweat off his makeup, Rodger didn't know. "Sure, man. I know how difficult glitter can be," Rodger said as he pulled a hoodie over his head.

Nick nodded, thankfully but absently, as if it would be unfathomable were his brother to not run an errand at his asking. "Lucy told me there's one not to far from here if you follow Emberneck Lane to the towncenter of this place. It's a shortcut. You'll avoid most of the traffic that way. And any women that might want to rip that hoodie off your pecs." He stuck out his tongue to Rodge at this: he had a much leaner body than his brother." Lets see if you can attract any women, mister sparkles," Rodger hurled back. At that he began walking off, a tightly-cocked smile on his face.

Emberneck lane was pretty much dead that night. Of course, besides the flickering streetlights and store signs. There was a sense that some sort of power had draped itself over the rooftops, even so much to make Rodger feel that it had a life of its own and was not merely the absence of bodies on the footpath. It was one of those nights where you could mistake a dropped barrel in the distance for some kind of mischievous thievery breaking out slyly behind a cloud of silence & slumberific lethargy. He was almost hoping someone would crawl out from the shadows and distract him from his lonely destination. Why did he suddenly feel so lonesome? Did the world really even need him? Just a guy going around the country with his brother doing impractical stunts that no one should be paid for....

" Ah, here's what I'm looking for" He said to himself, ducking into Domingo's Drug Store. The first thing that struck his vision was a half-hearted label about eye-high of some over-trumped looking product called NAPOLEONIC DUCK DYNAMITE CONDOMS . Rodger giggled to himself at the name. It sure would make a customer out of most men if they weren't just traveling through. After grabbing some makeup wipes and paying quickly, he stepped out into the chill night.

Rodger had just stuffed a hand into his pocket when a voice like pure silk caught his attention. "Hello?" he called down a shifty looking alley. That was rather odd. It was like something had tickled his ear without a real language. He turned back to the clerk -- only to find that he had vanished. Probably went to the back room, he reasoned. Turning on his heel, he peered farther into the alley -- it seemed to yawn wider as he grew more on edge and ill at ease. A sick and morbid feeling overtook him that something was very comprehensible about what he had thought he'd heard - maybe even nostalgic; the wonder was, why had he almost grasped it just to have it slip away? It's almost like the wind beckoned him to enter. The singing started again, but this time it was louder. There was no way Rodger wasn't going to explore. He began walking down the dark alley with only his phone flashlight to light the path. His heels clicked on the bricks. He almost, for one flutter of a second, thought about calling Nick but thought, what for? When He reached the end of the alley, Rodger dropped his phone ,finding that someone was actually there, and posed like they were waiting for HIM. The light snapped off. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. She oozed steady like the moonlight, and there was no more need of the light to illumine the dank area even if he had been able to hold his nerves together. "Like what you see?" the woman smiled like a cat and approached him." Uh-uh- yeah, sure" Rodger didn't know what to say or do, but he was okay with that. The woman pressed a cold, delicate hand over his chest. Then ripped his heart out.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 97
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 pm
marklavish wrote a review...



This review looks at grammatical and structural elements of your story. However, I'd just like to offer the suggestion of maybe introducing the "siren" part of the story earlier, such as at the beginning. If you did try to do that, it wasn't very apparent other than from the post's brief description. Try to use foreshadowing a bit more, and I think you'll find you can build a lot of curiosity and suspense with your audience.

Anyway, here's the bulk of my review.

The first thing I noticed was a slight lack of consistency in your tense.

For example:

"In fact just about this time he was cackling at the mild chill in his head and imagining the wind as tentacles of some Monolithic Kraken which he was lopping off with professional precision."

Where you use "-ing" verbs, it somewhat implies the present-tense. I would try using "-ed" verbs, such as "he cackled at the mild chill in his head and imagined the wind as tentacles... which he would then lop off with professional precision." For the most part, you did a great job with consistency, though.

Also, try to pay attention to "passive" speech.

For example:

"How he managed to not sweat off his makeup, Rodger didn't know."

Passive speech tends to work better in poetry, but in narratives, it tends to be difficult to use and ends up sounding a bit awkward. "Rodger didn't know how he managed to not sweat off his makeup." would sound better. Like before, I think you did an overall good job at using active speech, but there were a few places where passive speech was apparent.

Your word choice was excellent, such as during dialogue. I liked when you wrote, "Lets see if you can attract any women, mister sparkles," Rodger hurled back." "Hurled" was a great choice.

Also, for an easy fix for making the overall story a bit easier to read, make sure to break up long paragraphs, and try to start dialogue on a new line.

"He stuck out his tongue to Rodge at this: he had a much leaner body than his brother.

'Let's see if you can attract any women, mister sparkles,' Rodger hurled back. At that, he began walking off, a tightly-cocked smile on his face."

It just makes it a bit easier for the eyes to follow. Also, your last paragraph is really huge, so this would come in handy there.

Overall, I really like the setting of the story, and you use some really powerful and unique words to describe everything from actions to scenery to appearance. Keep writing!




User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:56 am
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

Thanks for sharing this story about a circus performer who is sent on an errand and winds up getting his heart literally separated from his body by a femme fatal. There is a lot of drama in the story by having it occur late at night. Also the mention of a brooding atmosphere and a silky mysterious voice are a nice touch. Not quite sure why his brother was introduced unless this is part of a longer story. I would have liked to have known the country or the time period. I was imagining this as occurring in the far past when portable phones and flashlights weren’t available.

Suggestions

Please try to replace the word "like" with "as" or "as if".

Try to simplify the sentences by not making them so long.

....to be bothered by it [....didn't seem bothered by it]

In fact[,]

[....wind as tentacles of some Monolithic Kraken which he was lopping off....]

[....wind as tentacles he was lopping off some Monolithic Kraken....]

The original sounds as if it’s the Kraken that’s being lopped off.

....painted him with silvery ease[.]

....where he had formerly been wiggling along perfectly without a wiggle amiss on the high-wire act.

[That part makes it sound as if he had been on a high wire in his trailer.]

& slumberific lethargy. = [bombast]

very comprehensible [very familiar]

a shifty looking alley = [too vague]

He turned back to the clerk -- only to find that he had vanished.
[The clerk was never introduced.]

....on edge and ill at ease. [redundant]

It's almost like the wind beckoned him to enter

[It was almost as if the wind had....]

The singing started again, but this time it was louder.
[No singing had been mentioned before.]

There was no way Rodger wasn't going to explore

[ He was described as feeling on edge and ill at ease just prior to this.]

She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

[Please describe her.]




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 805
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:55 am
View Likes
Danceingtreeelf wrote a review...



Oh my! Okay so I fell in love with this right after the first sentence and was hooked right to the end. I do truly love where you were going with this story but i do feel like you could have drawn it out a bit. You have a lot of information in this piece that I feel needed just a bit of tweaking, such as you don't have to use so much creative language, it will scare away readers when they have to look up what words mean, sometimes its better to go simple in some descriptive situations. "...a tightly-cocked smile on his face." With this it really made me have to reread this before it made sense to me, and i ended up reading it more like a "tight lipped cocky smile." But other than just those few things i still loved this story and do hope there will be more to it or even more like it.

Happy writing and good luck

~Danceingtreelf





Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato