untitled 2

by Areida

Using the same characters from "untitled (freewrite)". Just randomness here because I didn't feel like working on my novel for MarNoWriMo. Enjoy the angst.

**

The air is oppressive.

I’m standing in the middle of the living room, and I swear that I can smell death. Three days since it happened, and her family has gathered en masse in a surge of love and support. They’re all in her living room, milling about and eating the food they brought; some are exchanging stories, trying to keep up a positive spirit while “celebrating her life.” Others are taking this opportunity to exchange birthday presents and other things that were forgotten or misplaced at Thanksgiving. A group of cousins are sitting on the floor, immersed in Junior Monopoly.

She’s standing across the room, looking dazed and not really staring at anything. Her arms are crossed over her chest, and there are bags under her eyes like I’ve never seen before. I haven’t seen her touch a bite of food all day, she’s not wearing any makeup, and her hair is in a slightly mussed ponytail at the base of her neck. I maneuver around a couple of her friends and survive a thorough cheek-pinching from her great aunt before I’m standing next to her.

“Hey.”

She turns her dark eyes on me, and I feel a stab of pain at the glimpse into her mind. She looks so small and lost, and I want to hold her and tell her everything is all right, but instead I say lamely, “I’m so sorry.” Sincere it may be, but they’re not the right words.

“Me too.” She’s not looking at me.

I hesitate, then, “Let’s go outside.” I take her hand without waiting for a reply and lead her out of the crowded room, filled to capacity with relatives I’ve never heard of and friends who are looking a little dazed.

It’s the first week of June, and the Texas air is warm and muggy and I’m thinking about all the mosquitoes that are going to bite her the second we leave the air-conditioned interior of the house. I close the door behind us and lead her to the swings where she and I used to play when we were kids. She sits in one; I take the other, and I watch her flip-flop clad feet push lightly against the grass to give herself a little momentum.

“This isn’t your fault, you know.”

She’s staring at the ground. The blades of grass are casting shadows onto her toes and it’s starting to get dark.

“Hey. Look at me.”

She lifts her head slowly, and her eyes are tired.

I’m not swinging. My arms are bent at the elbows and linked around the chains of the swing. “There was nothing you could have done,” I tell her. “You couldn’t have changed anything.”

She shakes her dark head. “No,” she says brokenly. “I could have. I could have stopped her. You don’t understand.”

I stand, leaving the swing to sway slightly in my absence. I kneel in front of her and cup her smooth face with both hands, forcing her to look at me. “Explain,” I say, my military efficiency kicking in.

“The night it happened, she wanted me to come with her,” she says, lifting her eyes to mine. There is shame and regret in her face, and the intensity of it all hits me like a punch to the gut. “She wanted me to drive her to the movie and watch with her, but I didn’t want anything to do with her stupid little friends. I didn’t know that Blake would be there,” she says urgently, her eyes begging me to understand. “I would have talked her out of going if I’d known. But then she… she…” Tears flood her eyes and she can’t choke out any more words.

“She got into the car with him,” I say softly, one of my thumbs running along her cheek. “She made that choice, and there was nothing you could have done to stop her. You have to stop blaming yourself.”

She shakes her head and a few tears run down her face. One slides beneath my thumb, a cold contrast to the heat of the evening. “No,” she says. “I should have gone, I should have stopped her, I should have done something. If I had driven, gone to see that stupid movie like she wanted me to, she’d be alive right now. She wouldn’t be lying in a coffin six feet under, her body rotting before her life had a chance to get started.” She’s blubbering now, and she pushes my hands away from her face and stands.

I rise alongside her, but I don’t touch her and I don’t say anything.

She paces in the grass, the heel of her hand pressed to her forehead as she continues to cry and rant. “She wanted to be a doctor. Did you know that? I didn’t. I found it out at her funeral this afternoon when that girl she’s always hanging out with got up and spoke. She knew more about her than me, and I’m her sister! I used to make fun of her for reading Seventeen, but then I found out just ten minutes ago that she liked it for the college profiles. God, how could I have been such a complete idiot?”

Her shoulders are shaking with sobs now, and I can’t stand the sight of her in so much pain. I find myself standing in front of her and pull her into my arms, holding her close and telling her that everything is all right and it’s not her fault.

She stands there, her arms folded against my chest, her head leaning against my shoulder, and I can feel the sobs that make her body tremble and the tears make the front of my t-shirt wet with her pain.

Her arms go around my waist and my cheek is pressed to the top of her head. I hear her sob her sister’s name and I hold her tighter still.

When she stops crying and let go of her and sit in the grass at her feet. She sits beside me and leans her head against my shoulder. My arm is around her waist and I lift my other hand to point to the sky.

“Look.”

I feel her head shift a bit. “What?”

“Do you see it?”

She is quiet for a long moment. “Which one?”

“The North Star. It looks brighter.”

“You don’t have to say that just to make me feel better.”

“You’re not even looking.”

“Yes, I am.”

“No, you’re not.” I turn my head to look at her face.

Her eyes are slightly puffy and her nose is still red and she looks so tired that it’s impossible to believe she’ll ever get enough sleep to recover. I tilt her chin up slightly, and turn her head.

“Right there,” I say very softly. “Look at it. Look hard.”

Her dark eyes are trained on the star. A cicada calls from somewhere in the yard and inside the house there is the sound of strained teenaged laughter.

“You’re right,” she says finally. “It is brighter. How is that possible?”

“It’s not. But to us, I think it just looks that way. She’s up there, you know. I’ll bet she likes it better up there.”

She shuts her eyes and a tear falls down her cheek. Her fingers are clutching a piece of grass. She drops it and covers her face with both hands. I feel her body shaking as she tries to get control of herself and she finally lowers her hands.

“Yes,” she says, sounding more like herself than she has in the past three days. “She’s up there, laughing and running and singing.” She tilts her face skyward and reaches for my hand.

My hand closes around hers and she squeezes. I squeeze back.

“Thanks.”

“Anytime.”

Then we’re quiet, and the air isn’t so oppressive anymore.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:44 am
Areida says...

More, you say?

*evil grin*

Actually, there's a third one on the way. Oh dangit... you know, that's the fourth time I've rhymed unintentionally today? Oh my crackers, I just did it again! It's like a curse! One that never.. no, not ends. Something else. Ceases. Yeah, never ceases.

Ack.

Anyway, thanks, m'dear. And hopefully the third one will be done and ready for your perusal sometime soon-ish. :D

Addie wrote a review...

Well this stinks. Kind of like my feet do. Just kidding.

The beginning kind of confused me. But I'm just dumb like that. I thought she was dead at first, but it was only the POV that was messing me up. I can't think of anything you can do with it right now, but if I get some wonderful revelation, I'll tell you.

I like those characters, and I would love to see you do more with them. Very angsty, but that isn't necessarily bad. This isn't my favorite of yours, but I still like it.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:40 am
Areida says...

Aww, many thanks, CL! I was thinking that the blubbering part didn't flow as well as I wanted it to either. *makes mental note to change* And the other one too. I think you're right about that one too.

It's about... people. Lots of people. But mainly about these two big families and stuff. One family has four girls, the other has eight kids. But yeah. It needs major MAJOR work. As soon as it's semi-decent and filled out some more, I'll post some on here. :)

Caligula's Launderette wrote a review...

Oh fudgemonkeys... I had this beautiful response and my computer just ate it. :x

Let's try this all over again. If Dusky and Shadow are stealing your talent and you are stealing mine, whose should I plot for... :D

so la di da! I really like this piece, especially how you tied the beginning and the end with the 'air' lines.

E gads, I looked and I searched, over here and over there, read it forwards, backwards... okay you get the point. And I only found two things in this lovely work, that were off.

- the last part of her dialogue seems flat and seems seperate from the action of blubbering. In my experience when someone is blubbering and trying to talk there is a lot of fragments and run-ons. Perhaps change the last line to: body rotting before her life... or something like that.

- the How is that possible? seems out of character for so reason; perhaps: But how...? or something to that effect.

So other than those two spots, it was just dang near flawless. Psst, what is your MarNoWriMo novel about? Hope this helps.

Bon journée, CL

Karma wrote a review...

During the beginning, I couldn't see who the narrator was, since it just said that

I’m standing

and
I swear that I can smell

But otherwise it was great. I could tell that you put a lot of time into the details, and it worked out really well!

Areida says...

Okay... I'll look over it and see if I can find a spot that needs to be tweaked in that way. Thanks again for taking the time to read and comment. :D

Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:33 am
emotion_less says...

areida07 wrote:Hmm. I think I felt that at some parts; could you be more specific or was it just a general thing?

Eh. Now that I re-read it, I can't really find a specific spot. I guess it was kind of general, but it wasn't something like, "Oh, this is so bland and unrealistic... I can't stand it!" It definitely wasn't that.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:58 am
Areida says...

Thank you, Misty! :D

Dusky... stop being nice to Ari. Seriously. Cut it out. Be mean to me! Oh, and those little things I have to add on purpose; they almost never come naturally. I try to add more sensory things so that the reader can feel and smell and taste things rather than just seeing them. And you can have some of my talent if I can have some of yours. You're quite the writer yourself, know that? Anyway, thanks for reading, Duskykins the Lovely: your feedback is always appreciated.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:49 am
Duskglimmer wrote a review...

areida07 wrote:I think the tears thing... Well, usually whenever skin is wet, even if it's hot outside, the moisture always seems to be cooler than the air. So I guess I was thinking it was a bit breezy, which would make the tear seem cool in comparision to the surrounding heat. I dunno either. And you're right: no ice storms, at least not in my neck of the woods. :P

That's what I figured it was too and I liked that little extra detail.

You do that alot in your writing, and I wish I could pick it up somehow. You add these little things in that just make them seem so... real. I think I'm gonna steal a page from Shadowdancer's book and start plotting to steal your talent. Is that okay? lol.

I read this this morning and I tried to think of some constructive critisms that I could give. I just read it again and still couldn't find anything that I would definately change. So in other words: This was really good, Ari. Reading your work is always a pleasure.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:27 am
Misty wrote a review...

hey ari

I thought this was excellent, you're a great writer. The last line was great, but the whole scene was great, and I liked the whole "military efficency" bit. the part about her getting the front of (his?) t-shirt "wet with her pain" was absolutely excellent. Overall this was great, even as a short story. I'm going to go back and read the first bit. :P

hearts and hugs

~Misty

Areida says...

emotion_less wrote:Since I didn't read the first one, I had to go all the way back to read that one... geez Ari! :) (Seriously, though, the other one was awesome! A really good read. But anyways...)

I felt this was a little rushed and strained, though not overly much. It was good, but it felt a bit forced. The connection with the narrator wasn't really as strong as it felt there should be.

I'm horrid, I know. ;)

Hmm. I think I felt that at some parts; could you be more specific or was it just a general thing?

Shriek wrote:Actually, I love this entire thing. It's more personal, more emotional than the first. Just the right amount of description and dialogue. Picturesque descriptions and realistic dialogue. You're getting reeeeeally good at this, Ari.

Hm. One thing bugged me:

Aren't tears usually warm? Or warmer, at least? The only cold tears I know are the ones you shed when walking through an ice storm. And I'm pretty sure there aren't any of those in Texas. I could be misreading though, I dunno!

Aww... shucks. :oops: Actually, part of my reason for doing this was to work on some description. It seems you noticed that there was a lot less dialogue than usual. ;)

I think the tears thing... Well, usually whenever skin is wet, even if it's hot outside, the moisture always seems to be cooler than the air. So I guess I was thinking it was a bit breezy, which would make the tear seem cool in comparision to the surrounding heat. I dunno either. And you're right: no ice storms, at least not in my neck of the woods. :P

Thank you two both very, very much for reading! :D

Shriek wrote a review...

Oooh, love that last line.
Actually, I love this entire thing. It's more personal, more emotional than the first. Just the right amount of description and dialogue. Picturesque descriptions and realistic dialogue. You're getting reeeeeally good at this, Ari.

Hm. One thing bugged me:

She shakes her head and a few tears run down her face. One slides beneath my thumb, a cold contrast to the heat of the evening.

Otherwise, excellent, excellent work. I enjoyed this, as I do most of your stuff.

emotion_less wrote a review...

Since I didn't read the first one, I had to go all the way back to read that one... geez Ari! :) (Seriously, though, the other one was awesome! A really good read. But anyways...)

She looks so small and lost, and I want to hold her and tell her everything is all right, but instead I say lamely, “I’m so sorry.” Sincere it may be, but they’re not the right words.
I just had to quote this part though... It's so true. 'I'm sorry' never seems enough.

"Please put me in the quote generator whenever you like."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi