Hail Mary

by Areida

Hail Mary

She was a beautiful woman, trapped inside of herself. I never knew anyone stronger than my mother, nor more vulnerable. Her strength showed when she stayed up long into the night, mending my clothes, when she worked extra shifts at the hospital so we could buy groceries, when she told my father, “No, Paul, you can’t see her this weekend, you’re not allowed.”

But then came the vulnerability—when she hung up the phone, and cradled her head in her hands. “Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee,” she whispered. “Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus…”

I was nine, and the sound of my mother’s whispered prayers was soothing. I left the room to find her rosary beads, and carried them to her almost reverently, opening her hand and placing them on her open palm.

Her fingers twitched, and she opened her eyes and smiled. “Thank you, darling,” she murmured, and drew me close to her, stroking my hair—dark, like hers.

“Mama, what did Daddy say?”

She held me more tightly. “Daddy doesn’t want you to live with me anymore. But don’t worry, angel. I won’t let him separate us.”

I kissed her cheek and left her to her prayers. Mama was right; no one could tear us apart. It was only natural for a mother and daughter to be together. Mama said so every night when she tucked me in, after I said my prayers.

“Together forever, my sweet girl,” she’d say.

“Till Gabriel blows his horn,” I’d reply.

**

She cried more often as I grew older. Many days I’d come home from school and step from the brisk, autumn air into the dark, stuffy interior of our little apartment, where everything seemed to grow still. Outside, the wind whisked the leaves off the trees, but inside, everything slept—especially Mama.

It was rare for her to be awake when I came home. I didn’t mind though. I’d climb into bed with her and begin my homework, timing the scratching of my pencil to her breathing—my own private symphony. When I finished, I’d slip from bed and go into the kitchen, where I would call my best friend. We could only talk for ten minutes. Mama said that Daddy stole too many of our phone-time minutes for me to talk longer.

Mama would wake after dark, when she and I would make ourselves dinner and sit talking until it was time for me to go to sleep. I’d lie awake some nights, when I wasn’t tired, and listen to her talk on the phone.

“Don’t you dare call your lawyer, Paul. No, I don’t want you to send a letter to my attorney. You know I don’t have the money for it. No. No. You can’t talk to her, she’s sleeping. Stay away from my daughter, Paul. She’s mine. Do you hear me? Mine.”

I’d hear the click as she hung up, then the thump as she leaned against the wall, and, sliding her back down the wall, sit on the floor. Some nights I crept from my bed and peeked out my door (Mama always left it ajar). She’d hug her knees to her chest, rest her head on her arms, and cry—soft, miserable sobs that she muffled by covering her mouth or keeping her head down.

“Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.”

I climbed back in bed, and prayed the same prayer. I didn’t know what it meant, but Mama prayed it so often that I thought maybe it helped her to feel better. After whispering the words over and over, often in the wrong order, I’d fall asleep, the prayer still falling from my lips.

“Pray for us sinners…now, and at the hour of our death…”

**

When I was ten, we spent two weeks studying fairy tales in school. My best friend, Jamie, liked Cinderella best.

“It’s the most romantic,” she said, laying her hand over her heart dramatically.

“It is not,” I argued.

“Yes it is. She’s stuck in that nasty old cellar, but then her fairy godmother comes and rescues her and she lives happily ever after with the prince. And those mean old stepsisters got what was coming to them.”

“And the stepmother,” I added.

“Yeah, her too,” Jamie said, looking satisfied.

“I like Beauty and the Beast.”

Jamie shrugged. “That one’s okay, I guess, but not as good as Cinderella.”

“It has a prince too.”

“But he’s ugly for most of the story.”

“I bet he’s more handsome than your old Cinderella prince,” I said. “I bet Cinderella’s prince was really mean. She just didn’t get to find out since she only saw him that one time before they got married.”

“The beast was mean,” Jamie pointed out. She looked smug.

“That’s because he was sick,” I explained.

Daddy was a beast, Mama said sometimes, but it was only because he was sick. Only it was in his head, not in his body.

At first I thought he could go to see a doctor, but Mama told me Daddy didn’t think he was sick, so he would always refuse. Then I very cleverly suggested medicines, but Mama said he didn’t think he was sick at all, and so didn’t do anything to help himself get better.

“He was not sick,” Jamie protested.

“Was so,” I said. “The beast was sick in his mind, and that’s why he was so ugly. Once he got better, at the end of the story—that’s when he looked good.”

“Maybe,” Jamie said.

I was glad that Mama kept me away from my father. I had seen only one picture of him. He looked like a beast, with his dark beard and dark, brown eyes. But he was handsome too, which made me think that someday he would get better, and we’d all be together again: handsome Daddy, the beast, exquisite Mama, the beauty, and me—the little rose that kept their love alive.

**

I was ten, and the sound of my mother’s whispered prayers at night was grating.

I dawdled after school. I didn’t want to go home to find my mother either asleep or crying. She said she worked while I was at school or after I had gone to bed at night, but she was always in the apartment at the same time as me, and I didn’t know how that could be true.

Maybe Mama had quit, and was going to get a better job.

Jamie and I played on the monkey bars that day.

“Why don’t you want to go home?” she asked, flipping upside down. Her pigtails dragged in the dirt.

I shrugged, swinging my legs back and forth, back and forth. “I just don’t. I want to stay and play with you.”

“My mother’s coming to get me in five minutes.” She held out the number on her hand, spreading her fingers wide.

“How do you know?”

Jamie showed me her new watch from her upside-down position.

“It’s pretty,” I said, admiring the way its face gleamed in the winter sun.

“Got it for Christmas. What’d you get?”

“Mama made me a new dress, and put some neat patches on my jeans. We had a real big turkey too.” Mama hadn’t eaten any of it, just told me that it was usually a man’s job to carve the turkey, but we could certainly manage. I didn’t think we’d done a very good job.

“Cool.” Jamie righted herself as a minivan pulled up near the playground. “Do you need a ride?”

I shook my head. “Nope. My mom will come and get me soon.” I was lying. We didn’t even have a car anymore. Mama said that Daddy had forced her to sell it so that she could fight to keep me.

“Okay, see you Monday!” Jamie waved over her shoulder as she ran to the minivan and settled herself into the front seat.

I trudged home. I had missed the bus, but the walk gave me time to enjoy the fresh air. Besides, it was almost warmer outside on the playground than it was inside our apartment. Mama said that Daddy had been taking her money so we couldn’t keep the house too hot.

“But that’s okay, isn’t it, darling? Hell is a very hot place. Here, in our cool little apartment, we’re much closer to God. Your father’s house is very warm. You wouldn’t like that, would you?”

I shook my head. “No, Mama.”

“We’re going to be fine,” she said. “We’re going to be fine.” She kissed her rosary beads. “Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee…”

I closed the door behind me, and dumped my backpack next to the sagging, old couch. My stomach growled, and I dropped my mittens on the coffee table on my way into the kitchen.

Mama was on the floor, sleeping.

I stopped, frowning, and knelt down beside her. Her crimson rosary beads were wound around her fist, and she was shaking.

“Mama, wake up. Come on, Mama, I’ll help you get to your bed.”

But when she wouldn’t wake, not even when I pried open her eyes, I began to cry, and hurried to the phone. I lifted the receiver before I remembered that I wasn’t supposed to use the phone—in case Daddy was listening in—and slammed it back down again. I paced back and forth in front of the telephone, wringing my hands, sniffling, terrified.

There was a bottle of wine open on the counter, but the glass beside it was broken, and its shards lay in a small puddle of burgundy that dripped steadily onto the floor.

Mama said that sometimes when she drank a glass of wine she could think better. Sometimes she drank much more than one glass, and then she’d pull me into her lap—even though I was too big—and tell me that angels were watching over us.

I always thought that maybe she could see herself better when she drank the wine, like the enchanted mirror the beast gave to the beauty. I couldn’t remember, though. Did the mirror break in the story? What if Daddy had done this—broken the mirror so that Mama couldn’t see clearly?

I called 911, and they took her to the hospital where she worked. They asked me a lot of questions I didn’t understand, about what medicines Mama kept in the house and how much wine she liked to drink, and how long it had been since she had let me talk to my father.

They let me stay with her in the hospital, and when we finally returned home, she apologized to me and threw out all the wine in the house. I wanted to ask her about the enchanted mirror, but she fell asleep on the couch nearly an hour before my bedtime.

She had a large bruise on her face, from where she’d struck the ground when she fell asleep in the kitchen, and one of her teeth had been chipped, but she was still my beautiful Mama. Beautiful, beautiful Mama, who’d only tried to use the magic mirror to find a way to break the spell on the beast. Lovely, lovely Mama, whose eyelashes fluttered in her sleep as she dreamed of ways to lift the enchantment.

Hail Mary, hail Mama, the most beautiful women in the world, fighting to protect their children.

**

I was eleven, and the sound of my mother’s whispered prayers was frightening.

I was tired all the time now, but I didn’t know why. It seemed to suit Mama, though, since I never asked her if I could play at a friend’s house, or asked her for help with my homework anymore. After a snack, I would crawl into her bed after school and sleep until I got up the next morning.

When my grades began to suffer, they sent me to a school counselor. I went and sat placidly, but answered very few of her questions.

They sent me to the school nurse, who handed me a cup and instructed me to pee in it. Repulsed, I refused. She assured me that even though this wasn’t routine, it would help me to feel more awake. I did as she asked, then, not wanting them to call Mama and upset her by telling her I wouldn’t obey (and who knew how much phone-time that would take up?).

They called me back to the office to tell me that my test results had come back positive.

“Positive for what?” I asked.

“For something inside of you that’s not supposed to be there. We’re going to have to tell your parents about it.”

I nodded mutely. This must have been Daddy’s doing, though I didn’t know how.

Mama agreed when I shared the theory that night, lying in her bed, both of us huddled beneath the old blue comforter.

“I’ll take care of you, darling,” she said. “Just do what I tell you, and we’ll be fine.”

I asked if this would make them separate us. “Are you going to get in trouble, Mama?”

“Nonsense. Together forever, right?”

“Till Gabriel blows his horn,” I agreed, before drifting off to sleep. It seemed I had done nothing but sleep for the last month, and if I wasn’t in bed, I wanted to be. I was always tired, but I didn’t know why.

They summoned Mama to appear in court, and to bring me along. I sat on the hard seat with my hands in my lap, wishing I were as pretty as Mama. She looked perfect in the courtroom, wearing a gray suit, high heels, and even a little makeup. She hadn’t put any on in months.

I tried to be very still throughout the proceedings, but I was distracted by a man on the opposite side of the room from Mama. He looked like the picture I had of Daddy, but this man didn’t have a beard.

Then, when he smiled at me, I knew. It was him! Maybe his absent beard meant that he was changing back to the handsome prince, slowly shedding his monstrous qualities along with his facial hair. My heart soared, and I disappeared into a cloud of hope for the rest of the day.

The court went into recess, but there was no playground nearby, so Mama and I just went home.

She took off her shoes and pantyhose, and I followed suit, removing my shiny, buckle shoes and tights. She went into her room; I went into mine. Once inside, I located a sheet of blank paper and some colored pencils, and began to draw the house that Mama, Daddy, and I would all live in once we were a family again. I used a dark brown pencil to sketch an animal pelt in the corner of the drawing, showing that Daddy had left it behind for good. Then I drew rose bushes beneath the windows of the first floor, and felt very accomplished.

I hadn’t heard any noise from Mama’s room for some time, though, so I left my paper and pencils on the floor and crept next-door, pushing open the door with one finger.

Mama was on her knees in front of her bedside table, where she kept her Bible and rosary. She lit a candle, then pressed her palms together, and prayed,

“Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.”

It was getting dark outside, and I don’t think I would have seen the gun if the light of the candle hadn’t made it glow, lying there on her unmade bed.

I nearly fell over backwards, but somehow managed to make it to the kitchen in silence, where I lifted the phone and called the police. “Hello, police?” I whispered. “I think my mama is going to try and hurt herself. Yes, she has a gun. No, it’s a little one. There’s only one bullet next to it. It’s on her bed. She’s praying. No, she doesn’t know I’m calling.”

I hung up and hurried back to my room, closing the door behind me. There had been a bottle of wine open on the counter.

I sat on my bed, hugging my legs to my chest, like Mama. My heart thudded in my chest, and it was hard to breathe, hard to stay awake, hard to think. Hail Mary, now and at the hour of our death.

I heard Mama rise from where she knelt one room over, heard her blow out the candle, heard her bed creak, heard an odd clicking, popping noise. I heard her open her door, heard her footsteps approach. I heard the cars turning onto our street. Hail Mary, the Lord is with thee.

Mama was inside my room, sitting on my bed, holding me close. She smelled of roses and wine and smoke, from the candle.

“They’re going to separate us if we stay here,” she said to me.

“You said they couldn’t do that,” I said, frightened. She was beautiful—so beautiful—and I felt like I didn’t know her at all.

“I know, darling, but it’s all right. I have been praying, and God has shown me what to do. Everyone knows a child’s place is with her mother, but your father is going to take you from me. He says I’m not taking care of you like I should.”

“You take care of me fine, Mama. We take care of each other.” My throat constricted. I heard the cars pull up in front of our apartment building, sirens wailing.

She continued like she hadn’t heard me. In fact, I don’t think she did. “But if I can’t take care of you, no one’s going to. I’m going to send you someplace safe, where your father can’t get to you.” Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Then the gun was in her hand, pointed at my head, and the police broke down the door and it went off with such a bang that I thought I’d never be able to hear anything again. They tell me what really caused all the noise was my screams, but I don’t remember doing anything but sitting there on my bed, watching my drawing trampled by the policemen’s heavy shoes, watching the blood flow from my mother’s leg, where she’d shot herself, watching the gun fall from her fingers, and the rosary with it.

Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners.

A policeman with blue eyes and large ears wrapped me in a blanket as they carried my mother off in an ambulance, followed by a police car. He told me everything was going to be fine, but I was going to live with my father for a while. Now and at the hour of our death.

They made photographs in my room, and put things in plastic bags and took them from the house—including the picture I’d drawn of my family: the beast, the beauty, the rose.

And, watching, I realized something. Mama had been wrong, all that time. The beast hadn’t been Daddy—it had been something inside of Mama, hiding where not even she could see it, slowly killing her.

Hail Mary, slayer of the beast. Amen.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:32 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Just as a side note, this story (as well as many others) are featured in the first YWS Literary Journal, which you can buy here:

http://www.amazon.com/Young-Writers-Lit ... 269&sr=8-1

All profits go and help the site.

Thanks! :D

Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:22 pm
natfunnybunny wrote a review...

you have the most talent in a writer i have seen all my life. ive read over 75 books just this school year and about 1 or 2 matched up half of how good this piece of writing is, was, and always will be. i am a passionate writer myself and have been praised quiet a few times, but this just blows everything i ever thought i knew about writing out the window! i never read this kind of stuff, but you made it my number one subject now. i am amazed how someone could even think about writing like that! i give you 1,000,000,000 claps and whoots!!!!!

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:28 pm
Bonnie Parker says...

Guess who's on the Wonderful World of YWS. That's right. Your sister. The comrade. The only one that would name herself after a famous Texas outlawess.

Btw, I still like this story as much as I like looking at the stars.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:20 am
Areida says...

Lyndsey - Thanks for never allowing me to settle for less than my best. Your comment stung more than hurt me, but it was only for a little while, and really nothing too bad, considering how often you tell me you adore me. It did, however, stick with me, and I thought of you as I was writing this piece: pushing my limits, branching out, exploring my darker side. Your encouragement really does mean a lot to me, and I thank you for never giving up on me and pushing me to greater heights. This story probably wouldn't have existed without you.

Vernon - The mother was sedating the little girl to keep her from becoming too difficult to manage. Thank you for pointing that out, though; I'll take another look and see if there's a better way to do it without being obvious. Thank you for reading!

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:59 pm

God I'm so sorry I can't be much help. But it was perfect seriously. I really couldn't stop reading it after a while. I only got confused when girl went to doctor what did this mean
“Positive for what?” I asked.

That's all that confused me. Other than that this is a terrific read an no suprise it won that compition :).

Good luck VSN

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:22 am
Shriek wrote a review...

Ari.

I've read this piece more times than Jack, honest to goodness, and the only critique I could come up with was over one word in the first paragraph: "Her strength showed when she stayed up long into the night, mending my clothes..." Use a stronger verb there, “show” is so ridiculously flimsy.

Aside from that minor imperfection, I cannot express the praise I have for this. I really slammed you with my critique of "Rufus." I'll admit: I was a bitch. But, Ari, you've got to understand my reasoning. I know how capable you are of pulling astounding works of art (yes, ART). It would be tragic to allow you to settle for less.

This piece was morbid in a way that wasn't grotesque. It was terrifying, shocking -- it touched that close to real life. The imagery and symbolism tied together beautifully. I dug deep through the layers of meaning. Brutal spiritual warfare has never been so gorgeously written. I would publish this in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. You're that good.

Beautiful, beautiful job. I don't even know what more I can say. Everything I've written comes up short, like an insult.

But, while I'm in the midst of heaping compliments on you, here is more brutal advice, keep this in mind: At the end of the day, you're human. You're just like the rest of us. I say this because I've let praise get to my head in the past, and you've got quite a bit here. Yes, you've written a great piece. Now poise yourself to accept compliments with class, give thanks for the talents bestowed upon you, humbly admit that you've got so much more to learn, and take a step in a new direction.

Here's lookin' at you, kiddo,
Lyndsey

Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:49 am
Areida says...

(( UPDATED 09-12-07 ))

I especially messed with that one section that we all hated. If you guys have any more suggestions I'll be your best friend. :mrgreen:

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:29 pm
Areida says...

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this, kitty! That one section everyone's pointed out has been giving me some trouble, so I really, really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks again! :D

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:00 am

Hey Areida! This is amazing. I just had to say that first. As for suggestions...

The plot of this is fantastic. I really admire how well you've integrated the beauty and the beast story and I adore the twist at the end, when the little girl realises her mother is the beast. I think there needs to be more of the father though. I like that he smiles in court so that you get the idea he isn't all that bad but perhaps, closer to the beginning when she's allowed to ring him, you could show a little of one of their conversations or maybe she sees him while she's in town with her mother. I'd just really like to see some more interaction between the three characters.

That leads me on to characterization. The girl and her mother are both done so well. I love all the little hints and clues of the mother's illness and that section everyone keeps pointing out - the one that needs some work - has a brilliant touch of irony that you only realise at the end. If you improve the wording of that, I think it could actually be one of the best parts of this. In fact, I'll deal with that next.

When I was ten, we spent two weeks studying fairy tales in school. I liked Beauty and the Beast best, because I thought it was just like my parents. [Keep the first sentence but consider removing the second. I don't think you should make it so obvious and you've already hinted of the connections so keep it subtle until the end.]

Daddy was a beast, Mama said sometimes, but it was only because he was sick. Only it was in his head, not in his body. [This part needs altering too. Perhaps have something like. 'It was later that year that Mama told me Daddy was a monster..' Then you could go on to bring the sickness into it.]

Could he go to see a doctor? [Maybe have the girl ask why he doesn't go see a doctor. That seems more natural and then the mother could say that he doesn't think/know he's sick and don't go much further than that.]

Yes, but he didn’t think that he was sick, and so he always refused.

Could he take medicines, then?

Yes, but it was part of his sickness that he didn’t want to.

I was glad that Mama kept me away from my father. I had seen only one picture of him. He looked like a beast, with his dark beard and dark, brown eyes. But he was handsome too, which made me think that someday he would get better, and we’d all be together again: handsome Daddy, the beast, exquisite Mama, the beauty, and me—the little rose that kept their love alive. [The symbolism of the little girl as the rose is brilliant!]

Other than that, a little more physical description of the mother would be nice rather than just repeating that she's beautiful but it's not necessary and this is one of the best pieces of work I've seen on YWS.

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:23 pm
Areida says...

Jacko!

Thank you so much for all your comments! I love it whenever I get any kind of comment or critique on a story I've written, but it always means so much more to me when a person takes the time to tell me what they liked specifically, rather than just saying they liked it overall.

I'll mess with that one section you pointed out. Others have said the same about it, and now, reading over it again, I agree too. I'm not sure how I'll change it yet, but I'll see what I can do then ask you to look over it again for me, if you don't mind.

Thanks again for taking the time to read and critique - your comments made my day! :mrgreen:

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:46 pm
Firestarter wrote a review...

Here I am at last! Sorry for taking so long.

*dives in*

Her strength showed when she stayed up long into the night, mending my clothes, when she worked extra shifts at the hospital so we could buy groceries, when she told my father , “No, Paul, you can’t see her this weekend, you’re not allowed.”

That should be a hyphen after father rather than a comma, I feel.

. I’d climb into bed with her and begin my homework, timing the scratching of my pencil to her breathing—my own private symphony

I love the expression "own private symphony". Little things like that really sell a story to me.

could only talk for ten minutes, though .

You want to avoid killing sentences with words like "though". In conversational, informal writing it can work well. Not here. Take it out.

She’d hug her knees to her chest, rest her head on her arms, and cry—soft, miserable little sobs that she muffled by covering her mouth or keeping her head down.

Very nitpicky here, but I think "soft, miserable little" is a bit too many adjectives for me to stomach. Usually you're brilliant at this, but you slipped here -- take one or two of them out.

“Pray for us sinners…now, and at the hour of our death …”

Amazing writing. Chilling. Awesome quote and beautiful foreshadowing. Part of what makes this story one of the best I've read on the site.

When I was ten, we spent two weeks studying fairy tales in school. I liked Beauty and the Beast best, because I thought it was just like my parents .

Could he go to see a doctor?

Could he take medicines, then?

Eh-oh. Here's something I really didn't like though. Unfortunately, I think this is the worst section of the piece. Compared to the rest it is weak. For your next edit, I’d work on this. (a) It’s shorter than the rest of them, and (b) The link between Beauty and the Beast is not subtle enough – the first two lines TELL the reader, spell it out for them. I think it might be more poignant if the narrator simply talked about Beauty and the Beast, and made some links, but left it up to the reader to make the connection. The questions were also bad – it was a strange way of describing it. I would scrap it and write that information in differently.

“Mama made me a new dress, and put some neat patches on my jeans . We had a real big turkey too.” Mama hadn’t eaten any of it, just told me that it was usually a man’s job to carve the turkey, but we could certainly manage. I didn’t think we’d done a very good job.

This is an AWESOME way of showing and not telling the reader that they are poor. This is the thing I’m talking about when you look at improving the Beauty and the Beast section.

The last parts of the story -- winding up to the ending is great. I utterly adore this story. I think your writing is so strong. You've always been a good writer but I think this story has shown you've really improved to a high level. The whole piece gives me chills and I can feel the emotion. The narrator's voice is perfect. On YWS I rarely re-read stories.

I've read this five times now.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:31 pm
Areida says...

Yay, thank you, Clau! :D

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:11 pm
Emerson says...

Eek, dear. This gives everyone great competition!

Lovely. Just posting as a note to you and to myself that I've read this.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:37 am
Areida says...

Eno - I'll PM you later this week and we'll talk. It'll be like going to get coffee... except not. ;) (Inside I'm kind of freaking out, though, because that is a huge compliment. Thank you. That's really sweet.)

Amelia - Thank you for the nitpicks! I agree with you; all of those need to be messed with/rephrased. Thanks again!

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:17 pm
Leja wrote a review...

Could he take medicines, then?

The second sentence didn't make much sense.

When my grades began to suffer, they sent me to a school counselor, since I hadn’t been acting like myself, according to my teacher.

You sort of explain things twice here.

They took pictures in my room, and put things in plastic bags and took them from the house—including the one I’d drawn of my family: the beast, the beauty, the rose.

I'm not sure what "the one" refers to in this sentence? A picture, I think, but I'm not sure because picture was already referenced in the form of photograph.

And, watching, I realized the beast hadn’t been Daddy—it had been something inside of Mama, hiding where not even she could see it, slowly killing her.

I think you could have done a little more with this last bit. It seems almost too brief to me.

Other than the nitpicks above, I loved it. I think it got better as it went on.

EnoEmi wrote a review...

Hiya
Just wanted to say your story was fantastic. I was wondering if you could give me a few tips on writing stories as I never complete a story as the plot doesn't work out and when i read it back through it sounds terrible!!!!!

If you could give me a few tips i would be very grateful and i have to say once again your story was fantastic!!!

Well Done!!!

:D :)

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:33 pm
Areida says...

*shuffles feet*

Aww... thanks!

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:14 pm
Fand wrote a review...

Wow, Ari. That was amazing! It seems like everyone else has already covered most of the nitpicks, so I thought I'd just let you know how fantastically written it was. Gorgeous. :smt041

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:09 am
Areida says...

:smt043

Thank you, bubbles!

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:32 pm
bubblewrapped says...

:smt107

:smt049 :smt049

In case you havent guessed, I really love this piece. I heard it won the competition so I figured I'd check it out - boy am I glad I did.

The characterization is excellent, the description perfect, the whole thing beautifully balanced. What more can I say?

Kudos, Arieda :smt041

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:32 pm
bubblewrapped wrote a review...

:smt049 :smt041 :smt049

:smt107

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:22 pm
Black Ghost says...

What I was trying to get across here is that te mother is mentally ill (specifically bipolar), but many bipolar people do not think that there's anything wrong with them.

If that's the case then you should probably just leave it the way is. :P

MM

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:08 pm
Areida says...

Because you got to meet Dono, and Kat, and Mesh, and Crysi, and Jack.

So there. :P

(Loosely translated: OMG! SNOINK DIDN'T RIP SOMETHING I WROTE TO SHREDS!!! *prances*)

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Snoink wrote a review...

I hate you. This story was awesome and gave me chills and even made me not want to read the ending of it, because I was scared what would happen because if anything happened to these people, I would probably have to kill someone, because I sort of forgot they were only characters.

Dang you, Ari! Jealousy is a sin, so why must you make me capable of it? :P

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:41 pm
Areida says...

Flemzo - Thanks. I'm glad that the ages worked; I was trying to give a sense of the passing of time, but didn't want to be too obvious.

Addiepoo - Haha, "little work of horror"... I like that. I also like the monkey gralp you drew me yesterday morning in math tutoring, but I think the plain gralp was cooler. Anyway, thanks for reading, since I practically forced you to. :P

frenchpastry - Thank you for reading. :)

JC - I'm glad you liked it! Well, as much as you can like something as bizarre as this... LOL. Anyway, thanks for reading.

MM - Thank you for the comments! I'm not really sure what you mean about the part that you quoted. What I was trying to get across here is that the mother is mentally ill (specifically bipolar), but many bipolar people do not think that there's anything wrong with them. So here she's telling her daughter that it's the father who has something wrong with him, and that's why he's causing so much trouble for them. Do you have any suggestions for making this more clear? Or do you think it's still unnecessary? Thanks again!

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:31 pm
Black Ghost wrote a review...

Hey, Areida! :D

Not only is this an awesome example of Quiet Horror, it's a great piece of fiction in any sense. The way that you incorporate all the things like the praying, and the way the mother starts to detereorate, and how the daughter begins to as well, creates an unsettling feeling that carries throughout the whole thing.

It's like you're reading and everything seems normal enough, but deep down inside you know there's something terribly wrong with the whole picture. I think that's the real reason this piece won me over; it was unsettling, but it never seemed as if you were trying to make it so. It just was.

Another thing I thought made the story better was the narrator. You told it through the eyes of young girl, who didn't question things around her as much as someone older would. This helped increase the unsettling nature fo the piece, since the girl wasn't in any position to really realize what was happening to her and her mother.

The Beauty and the Beast aspect of it was also done well, it was kind of a retelling but with a twist. But although you didn't really retell the events of the fairytale, you did retell the message, which I think is a better way to go.

Probably the only problem I had with it was this part right here:

Could he go to see a doctor?

Could he take medicines, then?

I'm not sure why, but this part didn't really work for me. I thought it almost broke the flow, since this kind of stuff is already implied by the way that you use the word "sickness" I would just consider looking at this part, and deciding whether or not your really need it. Just my opinion.

Other than that, I thought the ending was done well, because you really did get the message across loud and clear, which makes everything very emotionally satisfying. And even though it was disturbing, you still get a sense of a "happy ending" because the girl finally exposes what was really eating away at her life for so long.

So, yeah, I really enjoyed it. :wink:

MM

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:41 pm
JC says...

OOO....wow. I can see how you won =D Congrats!

I can't really be of much help, seeing as I couldn't find any mistakes...that and I didn't find any flaws...so...once again, good job! And sorry I wasn't of much help.

Keep up the good work!
-JC

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:23 am
frenchpastry wrote a review...

Wow. I don't know what else to say. ;) It was amazing. There was so much emotion, and the plot was just downright brilliant. I definently think you'll win the competition.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:08 am
Addie wrote a review...

*shivers involuntarily* Whew. That was creepy, obviously. Kind of a love/hate relationship I'm having with your little work of horror.

Makes me feel kind of mellow. Now I have to go do math. What a perfect time to make me read this, you silly little monkey gralp. No, I do not know what a gralp is. My brain hurts.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:06 am
Flemzo wrote a review...

Yikes. Creepfest, but wonderfully written. I like how you reference age. Without it, it probably would have looked like so much happened in such a short amount of time that it wouldn't have made sense.

sokool15 covered the tense agreement issues, and I really don't have much to say except those few things. Well done.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:52 am
Areida says...

Thank you for commenting! I fixed the typos you found. I should have looked more carefully but I wrote this in about two hours and then really wanted to get it up, so only gave it a cursory glance. :oops:

Also, it's in the romantic fiction forum because it's a story about love (to me, anyway).

But thanks again! It's kind of long, so it means a lot that you'd take the time to read through.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:32 am
sokool15 wrote a review...

o. m. g. Chills run up and down my spine.

Great story! Seriously beautiful, enchanting. Not exactly sure why it's in the romantic forum, but I guess it could be anything. It's just wonderful.

She continued like she hadn’t heard me. In fact, I don’t think she did. “But if I can’t take care of, no one’s going to. I’m going to send you someplace safe, where your father can’t get to you.” Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

"But if I can't take care of"...lol take care of what?

A policeman with a blue eyes and large ears wrapped me in a blanket as they carried my mother off in an ambulance, followed by a police car.

Delete the 'a'.

Very haunting story, great insights into how such a situation would look to a child. I'm in this contest myself, and you've honestly got me beaten hollow right now!

Yours absolutely, 8)

Stupidity's the deliberate cultivation of ignorance.
— William Gaddis