For Will

by Areida

For Will

You clumsily, carefully
Attached the roses to my wrist
And I fingered them gently the rest of the night
While you watched with a smile I couldn’t decipher.

It was your idea
To steal the extra bottle of sparkling cider for our table-mates
But it was my genius that hid it beneath the cream-colored coat
Next to a black dress of satin and velvet
And they smiled and admired our finesse
And you grinned back
And that was the only smile I had wanted anyway.

The invocation was sincere
The speaker distinguished and highly decorated
But you were intent upon making me laugh
At all the wrong moments
And even as we earned glares from my serious sister
I lit the mess hall with an irrepressible smile.

We sat back-to-back for three hours straight
Full on people-watching
Half-flirting
Three-quarters listening to the sax and the trombone.

Who needed to whirl across a dance floor
When you could make my head spin
With one pretend pick-up line.

The night was over before I realized the music had stopped
And we walked through gray corridors
My arm in yours
Because you were a gentleman
Who wore a gold-buttoned uniform that I loved.

I was half-asleep on a couch
With your telephone voice in my ear
And we talked for another hour
As though we hadn’t just spent the day together.

You know, you said
You were the most beautiful girl in every room
You were in tonight

Cheeseball, I replied
But you only laughed and said,
You know you like it.
And I did.

We started a club for fellow non-dancers
Established our superiority as private school kids
Nicknamed ourselves Leo (DiCaprio, of course) and Anne (Hathaway, naturally)
And typed away countless hours in endless IM’s.

You decided I wasn’t a total nerd
(You actually kind of liked my grandiloquence)
But suddenly stopped returning the e-mails.
So I was just writing
Just to let you know
I miss you.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:59 am
Because I wanted to... wrote a review...

I like how the poem just kind of stops...
I love way you described the flirting between the characters
and the images you get of young love,
One question, were the gold buttons a hint that he was a military man??
Is that why hes gone...?

or is he just a dick..?

I'd love to know.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:35 am
Bella says...

I loved it.

It made me cry.

And if a poem makes me cry, that tends to mean the poet did a wonderful job of incorporating his/her emotion.

Bravo dear! You did well!

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:42 am
fallsforyoueasily wrote a review...

that was beautiful. i love how it ends. suspensful. short. it was perfect.
i loved the friendship blossoming into a relationship.
may you two have enternal happiness.
:)
best poem.
by far.
brought tears to my eyes.

[i wonder how much points ill get..]
XD but good job anyway!!
relly liked it
XP

Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:24 am
neophilic wrote a review...

I liked it!
I like the sort of feeling it gave, you created the atmosphere quite well =]
I didn't like the second to last stanza though, it seemed a little.. off. I mean, you could take it out and the poem would still give the same feeling.

The abruptness was okay, but I understand what you're saying. He stopped writing back abruptly, so naturally, it should be abrupt. It works, I guess.

Full on people-watching
Half-flirting

That has to be my favorite stanza.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:01 am
listeningforthemuse wrote a review...

I loved it

'For will' is like glimpsing for a moment at something blossoming and beautiful, that melts away before your eyes

I could tell you felt very deeply about this and it pours out into your poem
I love how open and sweet it is

the second to last stanza seemed a little rough to me
but all in all it was a very nice poem

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:04 am
Areida says...

whence - Hehe... not into voyeurism? ;) Thanks for the suggestions. I'll work on re-wording the second stanza in particular. And yeah, those West Point full dress uniforms are frickin' awesome.

Amelia Oliver - hehe. I won't come after you... maybe. ;) Just kidding. Thank you for reading and commenting!

Jasmine Hart - Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I'll reevaluate my punctuation when I go through again. I had written a poem a lot like this about a year ago and found that it was much better sans all punctutation except the commas, but I'll re-think the punctuation in this one. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Snoink - Lyric poetry expresses the hopes, joys, wishes, and sorrows of the author...? But I guess it could go in Narrative too, since it does tell a story. I'm happy you didn't hate it. :P

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:32 am
Snoink wrote a review...

And they smiled and admired our finesse
And you grinned back

Take out an "and."

And... the concluding stanza seems very random. Like, it doesn't really connect with anything else. You talk about a ballroom and then it cuts from you being disengaged with him. Weird...

Otherwise, I loved it. Though it probably belongs in Narrative Poetry? :P

Jasmine Hart wrote a review...

I loved it. It was so vivid, and the twist at the end was perfect. I think the punctuation was a little too scarce. I'd definetely add some commas, for example, e.g after "velvet", "sincere" "decorated" "straight" "people-watching" "Half-flirting", and "corridors", and "non-dancers", and a question mark after "pick-up line". I might consider putting "Because....I loved" in a bracket. It's hard to say without actually seeing it with commas, so you'll have to judge that for yourself, I may have mentioned too many, but I think a couple wouldn't go astray. Other than that it was really excellent, and you created the atmosphere effectively.

whence wrote a review...

On a random note:

I was looking through the picture thread, and saw the picture. Yeah, that jacket is pretty freaking awesome.

But in additional regards to the poem:
I felt like I was witnessing something private, something secret that I wasn't apart of. But on the same token, I could relate. If...this makes any sense at all.

So actually, I really have no idea what I'm saying. Um... work on your flow I suppose. Read it aloud, strive to get a lyrical quality in rhythm[ish] alone. If you get what I mean, whatsoever. So...I'll stop rambling now.

Leja wrote a review...

It does seem, as you said, something you wrote just to get it off your chest. But despite that, there were nice images and I liked it.

No, by the way, I think the abruptness is nice. Yes, by the way, I did scan some of the reviews above. No, by the way, please don't come after me because of it ^_^

Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:51 pm
whence says...

Stanza two seems overdone. Or something... idk.

But the actual events are well-done and concrete...

I think what it could be lacking are literary devices. Well, at least I think they could help

Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:46 pm
Areida says...

Agreed. Any thoughts about this one in particular? ;)

Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:44 pm
whence says...

gah... poetry doesn't have to have any kind of strict structure. It doesn't have to rhyme. It does, however, have to flow

Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:27 pm
Areida says...

Thanks for your comments!

My only real crit in that the ending seemed short. I know the narrator might not know what happened to Will, but we need to otherwise its a very anticlimactic ending. Is Will dead? Did he get cancer? Is he on vacation with his family in Disneyworld? The poem just kind of stops. We need to know more.

Preachin' to the choir. ;)

This was just something I needed to get off my chest, because that's how it happened. It was sweet and exciting and so much fun, but one day he just stopped returning my e-mails. So in a sense, I wanted this to be abrupt, because our relationship ended very abruptly - but I was just writing to say I missed him. Make sense? Or does the abruptness still bug you?

The poem I loved, the set up, not so much. For me, this could too easily be taken out of verse form and still survive. It's poetic, but it needs something more. Rhythm, maybe? Rhyme? But I'm overly partial to those two things. I just think it needs something more and I can't entirely put my finger on it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm too prosaic to really be a poet, but I didn't have enough to say (or maybe it was too much to say... I can't tell) to put it in short story form. The way I would change this would be to make it a short story, rather than working with rhythm and rhyme, because my stuff always sounds cheesy when I have to force it into an extremely regimented pattern.

Were there any particular stanzas that bugged you more than others? Any lines that seemed way too prosaic to be in this? If you want to be really specific I won't take it as anal nit-picking; I'd be grateful!

Thank you so much for the detailed response, Clau, it means a lot. :)

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:46 pm
Emerson wrote a review...

I liked this. I liked how it sunk at the end, because up until then, it was sweet, and though I don't like the memories much now, I was reminded of all the soul pleasing dances I had been to. And then, in two lines or so, it was like going off of a cliff, or a roller coaster drop, emotionally. I loved it.

But, without it, it's still good. You used the first person, and not once did the words navel gazing pop into my head, because you portrayed the dance, the feelings, the thoughts in such a way that the reader (or rather, me, since I've been to dances) could relate to them, and think of their own memories. I really liked that, because it worked in the most beautiful way.

I really hope you can understand that I thought something was missing, and figure out what it was, and fix it, because this poem deserves to be really, really good.

Keep up the beauty.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:09 pm
carelessaussie13 wrote a review...

This is beautiful and I could see your friendship blossoming into something more. I loved the wording and the little things, the nicknames and the sparkling cider. My only real crit in that the ending seemed short. I know the narrator might not know what happened to Will, but we need to otherwise its a very anticlimactic ending. Is Will dead? Did he get cancer? Is he on vacation with his family in Disneyworld? The poem just kind of stops. We need to know more.

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.
— Lyndon B. Johnson