z

Young Writers Society



Icy Eyes

by ArcticMonkey


Hey guys! This is a song I wrote a little while ago, please tell me your thoughts on the lyrics? :D

Verse 1: 
If I had been somewhat supportive
Would that have made one hinge of a difference?
In them icy eyes judging others by surprise
In them icy eyes judging others by surprise

Pre Chorus:
Be more outright, 'cos I can see it in plain sight (x2)

Chorus:
'Cos when you saw that light, where you thinking of me?
Or was that light so bright, that you just couldn't see
There's a demon inside waiting to be set free

Verse 2:
But I can tell something's bugging you 
One day your life will shatter too
In them icy eyes I can see your shallow lies
In them icy eyes I can see your shallow lies

Chorus x3
Last Chorus:
'Cos when you saw that light, where you thinking of me?
Or was that light so bright that you just couldn't see?
There's a demon inside waiting to be set free
Set me free, set me free, set me free


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 200
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:29 pm
View Likes
Ndubzisthebest says...



Hi Tam !!

I'm very disappointed in your spelling errors unacceptable, however I really did like the icy eyes they made me think of yours the cold unyielding eyes that constantly put me down but I can't help to be drawn to them none the less. If only you loved me like I loved you it would set me free, set me free, set me free. You release the demon inside of me and one day I hope that time will make you feel the same as me.

Ndubz xxxx




User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:35 pm
View Likes
Demeter wrote a review...



Hi Tamara!

I won't be going to those couple of spelling errors, because it seems like you have been mentioned about them already. :)

I like the first verse, and also the repetition of the last lines. "Eyes" and "surprise" sound very - wait for it - nice! The second verse is good too, and actually the two verses are my favourite part of this song. The chorus unfortunately flops for me a bit, because it sounds cliche compared to the verses. "There's a demon inside waiting to be set free" and all the other ways to say this same thing are something that I've seen and heard so much, and it's very difficult to differentiate between songs if they have lots of similarities like that.

Unfortunately I have to say the same thing about the very last line of the song. I could even go as far as to say that I really dislike the phrase "set me free" now, only because I've heard it so many times! So, of course, in my opinion, it's something to avoid. ;)

Other than that, keep lyricing! It's a cool skill I wish I had!


Demeter
x




ArcticMonkey says...


Hey Demie! Thanks for your review, it's much appreciated. I know, those cliches were a bit bad. Although, I think I'm gonna keep them in this song, but definitely going to bare that in mind next time I write some lyrics. Thanks again, bye!
-Tamara x



User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 15440
Reviews: 245

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:27 am
View Likes
creativityrules wrote a review...



Hello there, Monkey! My name's Rose, and I'm here to offer my thoughts on this piece. :D

Overall, I like this song. My favorite part of it is the feeling I get when I read it. It has a charming sort of lovelorn carelessness; I quite like it. Do you have music written to it? I imagine this song being accompanied by an acoustic guitar or perhaps a piano. Either way, it's awesome.

"If I had been somewhat supportive
Would that have made one hinge of a difference?
In them icy eyes judging others by surprise
In them icy eyes judging others by surprise"

I like how you used the word "them" instead of "those." While it's not exactly grammatically correct, it adds a nice touch of personality to this piece. I'm a fan.

"'Cos when you saw that light, where you thinking of me?"

Instead of "where," it should be "were." It's just a nitpick, but I thought I'd point it out anyway. :D


"But I can tell something's bugging you
One day your life will shatter too
In them icy eyes I can see your shallow lies
In them icy eyes I can see your shallow lies"

I know that the rhythm of a song can change depending on how it's sung; it can have one rhythm when it's simply being read and entirely another when it's sung the way it was intended to be. Still, I'm going to rewrite this so it's a little bit smoother when it's read, okay?

"But I can tell that something's bugging you
One day your life will shatter too
In them icy eyes, I see your shallow lies
In them icy eyes, I see your shallow lies"

Overall, nice work! Always keep writing!

-Rose




ArcticMonkey says...


Thanks so much for your review, much appreciated! I do have music for it actually, it's on electric guitar though, haha, but no distortion. Also, I am terrible with grammar and spellings so sorry about that xD
Again, thanks for your feedback! Bye!
-Tamara xxx



User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 700
Reviews: 38

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:17 am
View Likes
Laminated wrote a review...



Hi there!

I like the lyrics, they're abstract but have a very grounded picture in the eyes.

First, the line "One hinge of a difference" doesn't seem right to me. I've personally never heard the phrase "a hinge of a difference" but that may just be me :P If I were you I'd choose "speck" or "bit" instead of "hinge".

I like the meter of your chorus. It flows well, which makes it clear that you weren't scrambling for rhyming words.

I don't know the intended genre for these lyrics, but I would strongly recommend saying in "those" icy eyes as opposed to "them". I suppose it would not make as much difference when sung, but it's distracting to read.

I love verse two. Like, a lot. It's very directed.

Thanks for sharing this! It's wonderful :)




ArcticMonkey says...


Hello! Thanks so much for your comments and feedback, I really appreciate it! I'm not too sure of the genre myself, but yeah, thanks for your words! Bye!
-Tamara xxx



User avatar
73 Reviews


Points: 2721
Reviews: 73

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:15 am
View Likes
Confused.pirate wrote a review...



I really liked this!

First Verse: I might remove "one hinge of" in the second line. Makes it a little too wordy.

Chorus: ..."where you thinking of me?" *were instead of 'where'

I really liked the second to last line in the last chorus "There's a demon inside waiting to be set free."

It'd be cool to hear the melody and music to this! Good job!




ArcticMonkey says...


Hey! Thanks for reviewing! The whole 'were' and 'where' thing- I'm terrible at spellings and grammar! Anyways, I do have music and melody to this, maybe I'll show you on say :P Thanks again, bye!
-Tamara xxx




A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau