A Diary From the Past: 1603, Surrey, England - Day One

by Archstormangel

OK, this story is where my teacher supposedly sends us back into a time and place of our choice. I chose 1603, Surrey, England. Then entire story starts when I was just sent back. R&R, please!

DAY ONE ONLY

----------------------------------

[pre]Day 1 Sunday April 15

It’s a funny thing, time traveling. You never know exactly where you’d end up, what situation you’d be in, if everything wikipedia and google told you was true or not. You know better than to take everything they say for granted, even though, unconsciously, you do it anyway.

I’ve been sent to Surrey, England, in 1603. All I know right now is that it’s April, and something big is happening. It’s Sunday, and people are currently in church – at least, they should be. That’s what the textbooks say – but then again, the textbooks also say that I am currently in the dawn of the Age of Reason, so they might be busy blowing chemicals up or something.

I expected to arrive in peasant’s land. I was dressed up as one, and I was quite ready to talk like one. I had not, however, intended on landing in the home of a very wealthy person. As luck would have it, I did. Murphy’s Law – never fails.

It took me a few moments to adjust to the lack of electrical lighting, but when I did, I was sorely disappointed.

It was not a hovel. As previously mentioned, it was the house of the wealthy, and it was quite fancy – but I had not expected to end up here. Intricately carved chairs surrounded a similarly carved table, and on the table lay what appeared to be a flute. Curtains were spread open, I assumed to allow sunlight to enter the otherwise unlit room.

Someone walked in – and screamed. Alarmed, I whirled around, looking for the cause of the noise. It was a maid – a young, handsome looking, black woman in a funny, chunky pale blue dress with an apron and a cap. I would have introduced myself, and tried to calm her, only she was already running away.

Oh dear. That was not a grand entrance.

Now my main problem was to find a place to hide – I doubted I’d be welcomed with open arms, especially after that entrance. Wildly, I whirled around, looking for a place that I might duck under – the table perhaps – but it was too late.

A young, pale woman walked in, looking haughtily at me, eyeing my vagabond clothing. “Who are you, and why are you invading my home?” I blinked. That was rather forthright. “Well? Go on, answer me.”

“I’m sorry!” I blurted out. She cocked an eyebrow at me. “I – I…” No excuses came into my head. The entire readily formed plan was falling apart before my eyes. I was scared, and it’s only natural that this intimidating woman would frighten me.

“Well, if you can’t explain why you’re here, I suppose you’re insane, and I should just send you to an asylum, shall I?” She was threatening me.

“I – I – Um, I’m sorry…” I drifted off uncertainly.

“Come, name.”

“Bia – er – ” Bianca was an Italian name, a Spanish name, not a Christian name, and hardly the sort of name that would be found in Britain. “Elizabeth?” I said, stabbing a guess.

“How rude of your parents,” she said, sniffing. “To dare name you after her Majesty the Queen, bless her soul.” Those last few words seemed rather chilling

I was terrified of her. “Come, child, “ she urged. “It’s Sunday, and I’ll not let anyone ignore such a day as the day of the Lord.” I complied. I’m not sure why I did – did I really believe that she, as a stranger, would take me to church, without even knowing why I was in her house?

“Saree,” she said, addressing the maid, “please remove her vulgar clothing at once. They will be burned, of course. Dress her in some of Rebecca’s old clothing, I dare say she’ll fit well enough. Rebecca’s my daughter, fully grown now,” she added, talking to me.

Dear God, I hope Rebecca’s clothes fit.

Saree led me to a room near the back of the large home. It gave me a chance to admire the moulds and carvings that filled the house, as well as notice several instruments that reminded me of some modern-day ones. No pianos. I suppose they haven’t been invented yet, which is odd, because I always thought of pianos as the sort of thing that has been around forever. Well, there are several flutes to make up for it, and one very large harp, as well as something that looked like a cross between a harp and a recorder – buttons decorated the top. I asked Saree about this one, for it puzzled me greatly. She eyed me oddly, saying “Tis a Zither, and why aren’t you knowin’ that?” I shrugged, thinking that it looked like an instrument I recall my elementary music teacher was fond of playing in class. She opened the door for me, and there I saw the strangest instrument yet. It resembled a cross between a trumpet and a snake. Privately I thought it looked ridiculous.

Saree pulled out a lot of fabric from the closet, and I realized that I was to wear it. All together, I saw a petticoat, a corset that I was positive would not fit me, a ruff, and a gown that looked both extremely elegant and very uncomfortable. She shook out the skirts, and I got a better view of the heavy fabric, which did look nice. It had a high neckline, and some sort of puff in the shoulders – wings – long, tight sleeves and a deep ruff, with small beads. In fact, beads decorated the entire outfit – the chest, the ruff, the collar, and the long, sweeping gown was chock-full of them. There was a bodice, which looked threateningly tight and longer than my waist was, and the entire outfit was a deep blue, almost black color. Oh yeah. That was definitely a church gown.

Going to church? This must have been what the textbooks meant by the Age of Reason. She wasn’t going to take me to church at all.

Saree commanded me to undress. I did so with great reluctance. She tutted a bit, eyeing my bra as though she’d never seen one before – which, I realize, she hadn’t – and then turned to the drawer again, pulling out some linen chemises that resembled – well, I’m not quite sure what it resembled, and assisted me in slipping into it. It was quite uncomfortable. Then came hell – she tried to wrap the corset around me. In fear of losing my ribs, I stood very still, trying not to fidget when she began pulling at it. I realized I was whispering a prayer, and stopped – no need to waste air that could contribute to my breathing, which I was already having enough trouble with.

She tugged the dress over me, wrapping the bodice to fit my corset appropriately. The gown was heavy, and I loathed those sleeves. Saree looked in a drawer, and placed a linen cap on my head.

Joy.

The dress needed to be released a bit at the bust, where it was too tight (apparently the corset had worked a little too well there), and hemmed at the bottom, where it dragged on the floor. Otherwise, it fit all right, though I found myself incredibly itchy and pleaded with her to release the entire dress so that it wouldn’t need to press against me – did I mention I truly hate long sleeves? Needless to say, my pleas fell upon deaf, deaf, deaf ears.

Once finished with the alterations, which I’m sure she did in record time, she pulled me to a mirror, and asked me what I thought.

If I was daring enough, I would have pulled my face into the strangest, most repulsive looking one I could muster. Out of politeness, I smiled feebly, and nodded. She nodded back, and then turned, heading for the closet. She buried into it, digging out a pair of shoes that resembled very large flowers. It took me a moment to realize they were high heels with a large, decorative flower placed on the top of each shoe. The effect was horrid, and I wondered if the woman whom I’d seen before was wearing the same thing. It was only then that I realized I hadn’t thought to ask for her name.

“Er- Miss Saree?” I asked hesitantly, adopting an accent (which I’m sure sounded miserably un-British, which isn’t even grammatically correct). “What’s the, uh – the - ”

“The missus’ name?” She supplied, helpfully. I nodded. “Mrs. Annabelle Bradford, she is, and isn’t it a lovely name? Ignore that there line she said, there ain’t no harm in yer parents namin’ you after her majesty. Can’t imagine why she said there was.” I relaxed, mildly. Annabelle Bradford. She had certainly been named richly.

Saree led me to the front, where Mrs. Bradford waited. “Goodness, what took you so long? Saree, you couldn’t find a better outfit for her?” Saree shook her head humbly. I stood, frozen, as Mrs. Bradford stepped outside the (very lovely) door to talk to someone. It took me a while to realize the conversation was about me – and at the same time, about something else. I started listening a bit more.

“…young girl…no idea…leave her here…and Mrs. Francis? Diana?” Who were they?

A man replied to her. “…choice…supposed to meet…young boy…things confused…” What, did he think I was a guy? Idiot.

“…tonight…sure?” It seemed they reached an agreement when she came back in, followed by a young man in whom I was sure I would forever hold an infatuation for.

He had red hair – red hair – blue eyes, and a face that looked as though it would feel most comfortable in a lopsided, wide smile. He had a long nose, lean, lanky figure, freckles and, in my opinion, was extremely elegant in all his lopsided-smiled, lanky glory. It never crossed my mind why he would be here with Mrs. Bradford. I just stood, looking like a fool, for a few moments, before regaining my insignificant amount of composure to stammer out, “I’m a girl.”

There was a long silence.

A long, long silence. And then -

He started laughing. He started laughing so hard his cheeks turned red, and he had to lean on his knees for support. He was gasping for air, and still, he would not stop laughing. Mrs. Bradford joined his laughter in a milder tone, and Saree hid an amused smile behind her hand. My face turned a lovely shade of scarlet, and I’m sure I could have melted had I been the Wicked witch of the West.

“Wow – ‘I’m a girl’ – that should be – that was the best – line –” He lost himself in more fits of laughter. I interrupted him.

“Excuse me,” I said stiffly, winging it, “I believe it’s rude to laugh like so in front of a young lady.” He stifled his laughter quick enough.

“All right, we’ve had our fun,” Mrs. Bradford said. “Eunice – ” Eunice? Oh, God no – “this is Elizabeth – I’m sorry, dear, I didn’t catch your last name, what was it again?” Oh, goody. Well, I could say Potter, but was that name around? Birmingshire? Isn’t that a city? Cardrige, maybe?

“Uh- Cardrige, Elizabeth Cardrige, ma’am,” I said politely. I sincerely hoped she’d buy it.

“Yes, of course. Eunice – ” I cringed again, “this is Elizabeth Cardrige, Miss Elizabeth, this is Eunice Nelor.” I smiled faintly.

Mrs. Bradford hustled us into a carriage – I was actually mildly excited about riding in one.

I soon learned to regret that.

It seemed that they haven’t quite mastered the idea of a smooth ride – it was bumpy and horrid, and when we did reach the destination – which I distantly noted was not a church – I scrambled out and leaned over, fully prepared to empty my stomach onto the street.

And it didn’t help that I could barely breathe.

Eunice – God, I thought I would just change his name to William or something – came out and hunched over me. “Miss Elizabeth?” I shoved him away – which, on later thought, was a pretty stupid thing to do – and leaned over again.

Quite suddenly I wasn’t feeling so hot. I felt sick and dizzy and my air was cut off and I had a headache and something vile was rising in my throat.

It was too much. I barely had time to be disgusted with myself – or groan at the idea of Eunice being forced to carry me in any way to any place, because it was the ‘gentlemanly’ thing to do in a situation – when I stood up, shivered, and fainted. I’m not quite sure what happened next.

[/pre]

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:02 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

Time travel is always fun to read and especially when it's to the past. Like we kind of get to see things other that what we actually know from our boring history books. Anyway, to the review.

You have managed to capture quite some interesting glimpses of the past and I find it very interesting how you have written it in the form of a diary. Well, I should actually say something. For some reason I didn't get the personal feeling that one should get from a diary. Like you don't really write a diary for others' reading. You write it for your own. This felt more like a story than a diary. Also I think what happened should end within a day and thus within one diary entry but that didn't happen. Anyway, it's quite clever to write a diary on a time when diary writing was not widely known.

Okay so our main character or let's say the narrator was not very prepared for the travel or even if she was, I don't think she was visionary in her plans. Like I would expect someone to do a lot of planning before time travelling and also, is time travelling so very easy? I didn't get any mention of the fact that it's intriguing or something. So, I am assuming that time travel seems to be a very natural phenomena for her but again... after she time traveled, I don't think she displayed any traits of an experienced time traveler. I wonder what the case is. What I like about the narrator is the slight presence of mind that we got to see. Talking in a British accent or about the name... these are intricate details and in modern world, where people of all origin can live in a country, these can be easily forgotten.

I wonder about the true identity of the woman. I mean she isn't wearing any false identity but we are not sure about what she is actually upto. First of all, I found it very surprising how she reacted after hearing the narrator's false name. Like I don't see why she will be so angry and literally call her parents rude because they have named her 'Elizabeth'. I don't know but ?I actually expect someone to be happy after hearing the name of a person they respect and she just did the opposite. I am not at all sure but does she have any sort of enemity with the queen? Perhaps. Everything is possible.

Hm... this Eunice man doesn't appear to be good at all. He actually appears to be very evil and I don't see why they laughed at her remark. I guess it well captures the prevailing patriarchy and the amount of torture women had to tolerate in that time. Now, this woman also appears to be a bit evil.The only good person is the woman's servant. I wonder what really happened at last. We didn't have a good conclusion. I will get to the next part of the diary and see if I can figure anything out.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

Archstormangel says...

I’ve been sent to Surrey, England, in 1603.

Doesn't this specify enough that it's time traveling? You tried to tell me to take out the very paragraph that specifies I time traveled. Perhaps I can rewrite it like this...?

I've just time-traveled back to Surrey, England, in 1603.

Maybe you can read the second day?

Fishr says...

Hello. ;)

Well, unfortunately because I was the reader, I was under no impression of time traveling. You really lost me there. ;) May I suggest a rewrite then, so it's more obvious? If anyone else reviews, I have a feeling they might agree to the confusion or interpatation you were trying to attempt.

No! You have to read more to understand. SPOILER HERE - the woman was part of an organization planning to overtake the monarchy. She hated Elizabeth. That's why she didn't care

No, I'm sorry but I disagree. As any writer, this is the first chapter - the most IMPORTANT factor so to speak to snag your reader and because of this little known fact the writer must foreshadow or include bits and pieces of details that would later interconnect to the next chapter. This avoids confusion. It's a difficult skill to learn and it takes time to prefect it but those who write, for example, a series of books or Saga; the author knows how to intertwine loopholes and sharpen them into the plot. If there is supposed to be something specific that revolves around the Queen later on, that's a loophole, and I suggest again, to either move the day - Sunday back once or change the month to be concise.

Hope that made sense. XD

Interesting assignment though but I still feel there should be editing done, possibly a rewrite to insure the main character (you) went back in time. Originally I thought the character was travelling in a carriage, given the era - see lack of details and description equals a confused reader. We don't want a confused reader. ;)

Good luck.

EDIT:

You'll have to forgive me if this post sounds, well if I came off as a jerk today. I'm a bit sore. At any rate, I've personally studied the 18th Century for a good stretch of years but I'm also not a complete stranger to the 17th. When a person enters my specific interests in either period expect a lot of nitpicky comments. ;) And I have been nitpicky, I realize it but it's up to you whether or not you wish to follow through with my advice and the like. After all, you are the writer. Your word is law.

Archstormangel says...

Oh, god. I TIMETRAVELED. I live in the moderm world. I was sent back in time. That's what I meant. My teacher had an assignment. The story begins write after I was 'sent back' by my teacher. I was sent to Surrey, England.

That's what I mean. I timetraveled from a time when wikipedia and google were around. I timetravleed from modern day America to 1603, Srrey England. I am the character. It's me.

Elizabeth I was close to her deathbed in the era the setting is pertaining too. She died the year after – 1603. Actually upon further research, Elizabeth died in March of 1603. Your diary entry takes place in April. It’s very odd that this woman wouldn’t show more respect than “bless her soul,” when the Queen had just barely passed away? There should be much more remorse shown here. I suggest in a rewrite of the paragraph to foreshadow the death of Elizabeth I and the effects it should have on loyal subjects.

No! You have to read more to understand. SPOILER HERE - the woman was part of an organization planning to overtake the monarchy. She hated Elizabeth. That's why she didn't care.

Fishr says...

Back. ;)

Um, chemical explosians and the word "electrical" should not remotely be mentinoed at all within this period. Try the 1900s.

Why is something big happaning? How does your character know this?

What is the Age of Reason? Explain further in the story?

In the chairs, was it a flute or a fife instead? Were flutes seen in the early 1600s?

Curtains were spread open, I assumed to allow sunlight to enter the otherwise unlit room.
Well, when we open curtains it is to let light in. Your character shouldn't second guess something so obvious, especialy when the room is poorly lit.

Why did the slave run away screaming? Why was she so alarmed? Explain further please.

If I were in the character's shoes, I'd personally wouldn't run off hiding. It's poor manners, cowardly which are both signs of weakness. Personally, if I really wanted to make a first impression I'd stay my ground.

Hmmm... that's all I can see for now in regards to historic mistakes. The dialogue and descriptions however are good. I didn't notice an over-abundance of adjectives or needless description. The speech wasn't forced but the narriation as I said before; the dialect doesn't reflect the period hardly at all.

Best of luck.

Fishr wrote a review...

This entire paragraph is not needed at all for a number of reasons. The most important is the obvious. Wikipedia, time travel and google are the present, the future; we are the future now. Your goal as a writer of historic fiction is to basically drop the reader in the middle of your world and keep them enthralled in it. The paragraph does nothing for this purpose and is furthermore a major turnoff for the story. We don’t want that, to scare off the reader.

The second but major element that jumped right out at me is the dialect. The setting is in the early 17th Century, and frankly the speech is too modern. I’m not all convinced that I’m indeed sucked into your world. To develop the “way the people spoke in the day,” you will absolutely, as so often with this genre, have to research further. Research England in the early 1600’s thoroughly. Research clothing styles, hairstyles, and the like. If it’s Sunday, it would have been called the Sabbath or Sabbath Day. I’m not sure specifically in England but I’m 90% positive that traveling on the Sabbath was forbidden by colonial laws. So, it would be impossible for your character to arrive to England on a Sunday. During this era, every person was predominately Protestants and every household had at least one Bible in their dwelling. Sunday was a day to worship the Lord, study His words and reflect – which is why traveling on the Sabbath was forbidden. It’s called blasphemy, and it was a serious offense, punishable by death; it’s true believe it or not. Sorry to crush the first entry but you will have to change the day, perhaps Saturday or thereabouts instead?

Murphy’s Law – never fails.
Colonials new squat about Murphy and his laws. XD They didn’t even have the common knowledge to know drinking excessive beer was leading to an early grave despite the yellowing of teeth, their horriible breath and missing teeth. Further, no person in the early to the bulk of the late 1700’s knew about disinfecting – I just found that out actually through my own researching. ;) Learn something new everyday.

As previously mentioned,
Readers are not dense. ;) We will remember the character ended up in a well to do family. Remove the said quote.

Oh dear. That was not a grand entrance.
Amusing. :)

“To dare name you after her Majesty the Queen, bless her soul.” Those last few words seemed rather chilling

“Excuse me,” I said stiffly, winging it
In colonial America, no one “wings” anything. ;) As a stand alone, having the character stand stiffly is enough. We know she’s nervous and awkward. Remove “winging it.”

He started laughing. He started laughing
Watch for the repetition. You also use “laughing” thrice. Try rewording and use a thesaurus. A thesaurus has become my personal crutch but also my best friend. Also, read each world out loud. It’s absurd and you may feel foolish but it’s a nice tip. Your ears should not lie to you if something seems “off.”

That is all I have for now. I skimmed it quickly but not because I wasn’t interested. I’m pressed for time. I’ll return to read the first diary entry in depth.

Cheers!

Archstormangel says...

The font isn't small and clumped together on my screen... O.o

KJ says...

Sorry, but I can't read this. The font is too small and it is all way too clumped together. PM me when or if you change it.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:24 pm
Archstormangel says...

Day one now. I'll post some more with the other days.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 pm
Fishr says...

I'm sorry to say, but you'll need to break this story up. No one that I know of will sit and read seventeen pages at a computer. Our eyes cannot handle it. Try breaking them up by each new diary entry.

gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren