Will I be good enough ?

by Araidne

Wiil I be good enough ? I wonder every day.
Could my life be perfect, as I wish it could?
Would I get up one day, and hear myself say,
" Wow, what an beautiful day!"
If my life were with out scandal, it would be
a sham. My family hides a secret, if exposed
would ruin us. The pressure is on me to be perfect.
to be a good little girl. Well, it's hard to be good
in a messed up world.

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:22 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

Hey there! This is old but has less than two reviews, so here I am :D
I think this poem has a good topic and idea. I feel that everyone struggles with self-doubt, and I think you did a good job expressing yours, especially in the latter half of your poem. I read that you're the youngest of six, and it can be hard to be "perfect" and meet everyone's expectations with so many siblings. I have a few things I'd like to mention. These are just suggestions, so you don't have to listen if you don't want to!

" Wow, what an beautiful day!"

Here, you have two rhyming lines, but then you don't rhyme anywhere else. It sets up a false rhyme scheme. This may have been done unintentionally, or you may have done it on purpose. I personally wouldn't include a rhyme if you aren't going to continue to rhyme throughout the poem, especially since the reader expects you to keep rhyming after rhyming once. But this is just a suggestion, so you don't have to take it! Also, this is the second line you end with the word "day" - the first line also ends with "day." I recommend changing it up in either place to avoid unnecessary repetition.

"Wiil" should be "Will" And a small thing, you don't need a space between "enough" and the question mark.

Punctuation is stylistic, but I personally feel the comma after "day" is not needed"

" Wow, what an beautiful day!"

"an" should be "a" And a small thing, you don't need a space between your quotation mark and "Wow"

"with out" should be "without"

Since the second line is the continuation of the first line and you don't capitalize the second line, I recommend switching the period at the end of "perfect" for a comma

I like your closing line! And I also like the enjambment you use throughout the poem. It encourages the reader to continue reading the poem, to go to the next line to find out what happens. Overall, I think you did a good job with this poem, and I hope this helped!

Araidne says...

No. I am the youngest of six.

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:35 am
Bronco wrote a review...

Just a quick question... Are you a firstborn child? 'Cause I am, and sometimes that's the kind of emotion I feel. Neat little poem, however I think that some of the lines would be better running fully across rather than going onto the next line partway through a sentence as this slows the flow. :D

The chains of habits are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.
— Warren Buffet