z

Young Writers Society



Pax de Luc

by Araidne


I sit in the dark, in the suffocating gloom.
Wishing for the warming heat of the sun.
Without it, the flower of my despair will begin to bloom.,
And the darkness will have won.

I crave the light, the glowing orb
that shines anew each morn.
I want the sunlight, to have and to hoard,
The gift of light reborn.



I'm still working on it, so please don't judge it to harshly :)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
287 Reviews


Points: 1650
Reviews: 287

Donate
Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:11 pm
Maki-Chan wrote a review...



Hmm, interesting title. Not too bad, but this part.

And the darkness will have won.



just doesn't really go well with it. maybe its the word 'won'. I don't know.

Its probably just me. other wise nice job ^_^




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:03 pm
Araidne says...



Thanks for the critic. For anyone who is curious about the title, it's rough latin for "peace of the light". :D




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:24 pm
Emerson wrote a review...



Your title is curious. Pax de Luc? What language is that? "La Pax" is barbarians in French, but then that makes no sense? haha.

I sit in the dark, in the suffocating gloom.
Wishing for the warming heat of the sun.
Without it, the flower of my despair will begin to bloom.,
And the darkness will have won.


"Dark", "gloom", "warming heat", "despair", "darkness" -- All these words are bland, or at least, plain words. Word choice is incredebly important when writing a poem [See: Right Word, Right Time by Cade] and it can have a big effect on your reader. The one that really got me was "warming heat". It's redundant. True, heat could be warming, or scalding, but either way, it's warming you up. Heat is, by definition, hot. You don't need to say it is warming. Try to find a more unique way to explain the heat. Also, "dark" and "darkness" are pretty much the same thing--what else can you say?

The second line isn't a sentence, but the first line ended with a period, and so did the second one. Your third line ends in a comma and a period [typo?] so I'm not sure what you meant.

I crave the light, the glowing orb
that shines anew each morn.
I want the sunlight, to have and to hoard,
The gift of light reborn.
"I want the sunlight, to have and to hoard, the gift of light reborn." I like this, but it also confuses me. How is sunlight... light reborn? I'm kind of lost on what you are trying to say.

I think if you used more unique words, and added more imagery for the senses [touch, taste, smell, sound, and lastly sight] this poem would be more interesting. As it is, it isn't terrible, it just doesn't have a lot of punch to it. How do you want your reader to feel after they've read it? More importantly, don't just say something. Say it beautifully, and as best as you possibly can.

I hope that helped! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.





A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer.
— Robert Frost