Maiden Magic

by Anupama68A

Her hair laid out for the world to see,

She stood there perched upon a tree.

Her eyes were lit with specs of gold,

In silver lakes and wisdom old.

*

Her dress was made of hues of blue,

It matched the sky and reached her foot.

Frills were never to her taste,

She wore no shoes and ate with haste.

*

Her beauty shone when the clouds turned grey,

When dirt filled her toes and rain wet her mane.

When the black tresses framed her face,

She danced until her heart did race.

*

The misty beads danced upon her brow,

As she sang a tune and pebbles threw,

In reflections of her blithe young frame,

Magic once lost was now regained. 

***

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:56 pm
JosephGeorge wrote a review...

Hey Anupama68A, here for a Review Day review,

Positives:

The misty beads danced upon her brow,

As she sang a tune and pebbles threw,

Magic once lost was now regained.

The imagery here is good, and I like it as an ending to the poem. To be honest, there's not all that much to grasp onto as it's more of just a standalone that talks about a single woman, but that's okay as long as you want it to be that.

Negatives:
Her dress was made of hues of blue,

Doesn't seem to really flow with the previous style of rhyming?

Something else is that it's so short. Just a few stanzas, and then it's over, but I'd like to learn more about this figure. What is she like? What does she do? Where does she live? All these little details that would be interesting to hear about simply aren't here, so we can only guess in our heads. It would be cool to have this lengthened a bit to add in more content.

I give it:
ImageImageImage

Joseph Henry George

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:44 pm
erilea wrote a review...

Hey, Anupama! Lupa here from Team Snow! :D Let's begin.

1) The first two lines are rhyming, but the rhyme sounds kind of forced. Why in the world would someone be standing on a tree? And why does the narrator care so much as to mention that the world can see her hair? The rhyme seems to hold back the meaning of the poem and limits your word choices. If that's what the rhyme is doing, cut it out.

2) Your imagery is vivid, which is really good. Keep it in there, please.

3) Again, in the last stanza, the rhyme sounds forced. Besides, "brow" and "threw" don't really rhyme as much as your other words in different stanzas.

This was hard to critique because it was so good, but I hope my review helped! :) Have a wonderful day/evening/night and happy Review Day!

XOX,
Lupa22

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:21 pm
AlexOfLight wrote a review...

Ah, so beautiful! Your poem is so vivid, and inspiring! It makes me want to make a picture of her! It just flows so well, and the atmosphere of the poem reminds me of waterfalls and rainbows!

"Her eyes were lit with specs of gold,

In silver lakes and wisdom old."

I love these two lines especially. They rhyme, they're fluent, they're vivid and beautiful.

"Frills were never to her taste,

She wore no shoes and ate with haste."

I didn't like this as much because the "ate with haste." I see where you're going with this though.

"Her beauty shone when the clouds turned grey,

When dirt filled her toes and rain wet her mane."

I truly think that this is where the poem is most vivid. It's so simple yet so beautiful!

"As she sang a tune and pebbles threw,"

Is the song making pebbles fly?

I hope this was helpful!

Have a merry Christmas!

-Alex

Anupama68A says...

Thank you so much AlexofLight! I'm happy you liked my poem!

To be honest, the 'ate with haste' part was a teeny part of me that I wanted to add in the poem...LoL xD I'm a huge foodie and I thought, you know.. why not?
But yeah, you're right it's a little off-beat :)

The first two lines that you mentioned are my favourites too!

Thank you once again! Merry Christmas to you too!

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 pm
Poetrybug19 wrote a review...

Hey, Poetrybug19 for a review
First, let me say that this poem had a beautiful rhythm, and that is hard for many experienced poets to find. There are a few parts however, that do not make sense to me. I'm not saying you should change, some poets mean for their work to not make sense, but this line, for instance:
"As she sang a tune and pebbles threw"
The words do not add up, but the rest of your poem does. It is a very magical poem, and I enjoyed reading it.
Hope you gained some insight by this. Happy writing1

Anupama68A says...

Thank you so much Poetrybug19! I'm glad you liked my poem!
What I meant by the line "As she.......and pebbles threw in reflections of her blithe young frame.." was that she was humming blithely and throwing pebbles into the clear water which showed her reflection.

You're right, though. It doesn't seem all that right..perhaps a change in punctuation might help...

Thank you once again :)

I'll actually turning 100 soon
— Ari11