In the Shadows

by Angels-Symphony

My attempt at poetry once more. I hope it's alright xD

I’m the person in the shadows
the one that no one knows.
Hidden by the darkness
dressed in simple peasant clothes.

You may not know of me
but I do know of you.
I move around discreetly
leaving not a single clue.

Shrouded by the shadows
I take away the light.
I incinerate your being
yet you don't put up a fight.

Tears cloud your eyes
from my true reflection.
But this is my duty,
my life of deception.

Killing is fairly easy
when I can turn your face pale white.
I am the misfortune fate forced upon you,
The creature of the night.

The words you may have called me
have been used many times before.
This meager task is simple
but it is still my evil chore.

You all come to love life
and the lives of many others.
But the ending is the same
for you and for your brothers.

My life, to be honest
was made only to end yours.
Rather than to open,
I close all of your doors.

I am the dreaded monster
who feeds on human breath.
I am your destiny,
I am your fated death.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:14 am
zackattack wrote a review...

Dark and mysterious, I found it very interesting, you made it seem as though you were the angel of destiny or the grim reaper, this was something different, I got lost on the last couple of stanzas it seemed like you switched subjects some what,but that's not a bad thing! Very good! Can't wait for more!!

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:12 am
LukanRinta wrote a review...

Amazing. This actually gave me the chills. Very much reminded me of the subject of the book I just finished. Very coincidental lol. Now*rubs hands together* down to business.
In a few stanzas, but only a few, your rhyming felt a BIT forced. The flow was great, but a few of your rhymes threw me off a bit. They just felt like you didn't say what you wanted to because you were "rooted" to the rhyme.

You all come to love life
and the lives of many others.
But the ending is the same
for you and for your brothers.

That was one that got me. I don't know why, but it sounded forced.

I am the dreaded monster
who feeds on human breath.
I am your destiny,
I am your fated death.

That was just my totally favorite line of the whole poem. the last two lines were captivating. They stuck in my mind, and they pulled the piece to an end so neatly, beautifully. Keep writing!

~Lukan

Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:29 am
Aianarie wrote a review...

This is a really cool poem. The rhythm is even, which is something that I really look for in a poem. It should sound right when you read it out loud. Some people before me have already mentioned points and punctuation comments that I found while reading the poem, so I won't go into that.

Awesome job!

Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:16 am
bookaholicgirl says...

wow. very good. i liked it alot, deep, dark, but straight and to the point, very good.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:43 pm
taytay0939 wrote a review...

I think that was a really good poem. Creepy, but in a good way (or is that even possible?) well if its not you just possible! :D Of course I don't really know much about poems (though i'm thinking about attempting a haiku) so I wouldn't rely on me. LOL

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:29 am
pudin.junidf wrote a review...

Hey Shina(mind if called like that?) I saw your poem until now,sorry. I was seeing your portfolio,and I found this one. I have to say i really like it, it's an interesting picture you gave me. Very gloomy, quite dark but I liked it. It was good poetry at least for me since I like this kind of poems. Your personification of death was cool. there were some things here and there but they were all pointed out already.

sorry, i read this til now
pudin

Mars wrote a review...

Hiya Shina! Here as promised.

So! I love this poem; even though the rhyming is quite strict I think you've pulled it off in many places and I also love the idea of Death's POV. Very nice. I do have a couple of comments though (obviously :P):

One thing I noticed is that in the first line you refer to death as a person, and then you go on to say it (he, she, whatever) has a life (of deception) and basically, throughout the whole poem, it's given human traits. I find that a little bit weird because obviously...death isn't human? I mean, personification can be good, but I don't think it works here. Especially the life thing, because while death can't exist without life (it's like, you can't have short without tall or light without dark), death can't actually have a life because one of the fundamental things about life is that it begins and ends, which death doesn't. Because death does the ending...if you see what I mean.

Plus, this is in third person. So death is referring to itself as human. I feel like death would be watching all the puny humans and going "ha, ha, I am kept 'alive' by ending you!" or something; feeling superior, maybe. I feel like you almost touched on this in one stanza (forget which) but then didn't continue with it, which was a little disappointing.

So...that's why I sort of like Jessica's 'master of deception' suggestion. :)

The other thing I noticed is that the rhythm seemed a little off in places, but it might be just me, so I'll just say that you should read it again and maybe out loud; I'm sure you've done this a thousand times, but it never hurts. :)

Hope this helps!
xxx

Angels-Symphony says...

Thanks everyone for your reviews ^^ Yeah, I'm aware of the tenses, and it was fixed. Maybe it just appeared wrong for you guys.

And now I shall do a comparison with my version and the version Jemimapuddleduck wanted. I'll explain the ups and downs of your version. Thanks for helping, though :)

I’m the person in the shadows
the one that no one knows.
Hidden by the darkness
dressed in simple peasant clothes.

I’m the person in the shadows;
the one that no one knows.
Hidden by the darkness,
dressed in simple peasant clothes.
Okay, basically the same.

You may not know of me
but I do know of you. <--- this rhyme isn't "la-di-da" like in the version Jemima version. it's mysterious
I move around discreetly
leaving not a single clue.

You may not know of me
but I certainly know you. <--- the word "certainly" kills the whole shadow dark theme, and it's too many counts.
I move around discreetly
leaving not a single clue.

Shrouded by the shadows
I take away the light.
I incinerate your being
yet you don't put up a fight.

Shrouded by the shadows
I'm absorbing all the light. <-- darkness doesn't absorb light, then the darkness would become light. There can't be both light and dark in the same spot, one has to shrink while the other grows. And absorbing isn't a good word to use either because darkness doesn't want to eat light. It's not the Twitches world.
I incinerate your being,
yet you don't put up a fight.

Tears cloud your eyes
from my true reflection.
But this is my duty,
my life of deception.

Teardrops cloud your eyes <-- teardrops on your face don't cloud anything, because it's on your face. I used "tears" because tears are in your eyes, teardrops are on your face.
from my true reflection.
But this who I am, <--- okay, death is not "deception" death is death, no hiding that. It's death's job to deceive people, though. Which is why I put it.
a master of deception.
<--- He is a master of deception, but the Jemima version makes death seem too human. He's vague and mysterious, yes? He doesn't speak in a human manner. English maybe, but not with common human phrases.

Killing is fairly easy
when I can turn your face pale white.
The creature of the night.

Killing is so easy <-- why is death being so casual? "so" is not the word fitting to the theme.
when I can turn your face pale white.
I am the curse fate forced upon you - <-- death is not a curse, it does not linger.
the creature of the night.

The words you may have called me
are words used many times before.<-- I need to change the tense to "have been used"
This meager task is simple
but it is still my evil chore.

The words you may have called me
were used countless times before. <-- I'll admit I like countless ^^
This meager task is simple,
but it's still my evil chore.
<-- it is makes better rhythym

You all come to love life
and the lives of many others.
But the ending is the same
for you and for your brothers.

I watch you in your love of life <-- not everyone is in "a love of life" some people kill themselves or live depressed lives, but later come to love life, or the life they've lived.
and the lives of others. <-- not enough counts
But the ending is identical <---sounds like you whooped out a thesaurus, which is not good
for you and for your brothers.

My life, to be honest
was made only to end yours.
Rather than to open,
I close all of your doors.

My life, in truth, is simple: <--- The tone is ruined with the words you used, and it looks like you're embellishing it, not good.
i live only to end yours. <-- eh, this version isn't so good. It took out the note that death was made to kill others' lives.
Rather than to open,
I am closing all your doors.
<-- he's not closing doors while he's saying this. He's supposed to be describing what he does.

I am the dreaded monster
who feeds on human breath.
I am your destiny,
I am your fated death.

I am the dreaded monster
who feeds on human breath.
I am your destiny,
I am your fated death.

endings the same

JemimaPuddleDuck wrote a review...

okay. I changed it a little but you don't have to listen to me :-)

I’m the person in the shadows;

the one that no one knows.

Hidden by the darkness,

dressed in simple peasant clothes.

You may not know of me

but I certainly know you.

I move around discreetly

leaving not a single clue.

Shrouded by the shadows

I'm absorbing all the light.

I incinerate your being,

yet you don't put up a fight.

Teardrops cloud your eyes

from my true reflection.

But this who I am,

a master of deception.

Killing is so easy

when I can turn your face pale white.

I am the curse fate forced upon you -

the creature of the night.

The words you may have called me

were used countless times before.

This meager task is simple,

but it's still my evil chore.

I watch you in your love of life

and the lives of others.

But the ending is identical

for you and for your brothers.

My life, in truth, is simple:

i live only to end yours.

Rather than to open,

I am closing all your doors.

I am the dreaded monster

who feeds on human breath.

I am your destiny,

I am your fated death.

emotionally(un)stable wrote a review...

angels-symphony wrote:My attempt at poetry once more. I hope it's alright xD

Killing is fairly easy
when I can turn your face pale white.
The creature of the night.

I am the dreaded monster
who feeds on human breath.
I am your destiny,
I am your fated death.

Your poem is more than alright, it's awesome!
I love the kind of dark feeling the first stanza gives, it really leaves people with a question.
I really like the second one, it's dark and mysterious, a little evil.

Overall the entire thing was really good and I loved the whole dark undertone. Does the person in the poem know the person it's written to personally or only by face and the person who its written to really has no idea they exist I feel like that part kid of contradicts itself in some parts. Well anyway its a really amazing poem gold star! And I think the title fits.

Thu May 28, 2009 2:04 am
dragnet says...

OMG angels! that was SO SO SO good!

1 <3 u

Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:38 am
Jessica9813 says...

Harsh. Joking I just wanted to see those smiles!

Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:37 am
Jessica9813 says...

Uhh 1-10 I'd probally give this young lad a 8. It was decent. Describe to me what I am reading. Lol. Getting info from and 11 year old is quite okward.

fluteluvr77 wrote a review...

Heyy! I love this poem...I wish I could write something like this..Anywayz, the only real thing that I saw that was wrong with this poem was that it kept switching between the tenses...Like,
the first stanza :

I’m the person in the shadows

the one that no one knows.

Hidden by the darkness

dressed in simple peasant clothes.

This stanza is entirely in present tense, yet after that it switches to past tense for a bit..Like in :
Tears clouded your eyes

from my true reflection.

But this is my duty,

my life of deception.

That bit is in past tense and you stay with that for the next stanzas. Then, it switches back to present tense..I would keep the tense consistent throughout the poem...
Other than that great job on this and gold star for you!
fluteluvr77<3

Lost_in_dreamland wrote a review...

Shina :D
Kirsten here, to do the first of your eight prize reviews, lol. Anyway, seeing as this is meant to be long, indepth and actually good we better get started. (I'm talking about the review btw, not your poem. xD)

No sorry, it's not all right, it's great!

"I’m the person in the shadows" I like this as an opening line, it doesn't astound me or anything, but it drags me in. That said, to some people it may astound them, the reason I say it doesn't astound me is that I'm not particularly interested in the person in the shadows yet evidently this will improve as the poem goes on. As an opening line though, I like it.

"the one that no one knows." O.k. I'm going to be extremely picky and annoying. The only thing I don't like about this line is the repetition of 'one', this line evidently carries meaning and importance to the poem, so we need to make sure it does so. Content wise it does, you just need to improve the word choice a bit. That said, it is a bit hard to fix, synonyms for no-one? They're a little... lacklustre, the unknown one? Lol, it doesn't have the same ring, so just leave it. Yeah... I'm probably going on about nothing. :lol:

"Hidden by the darkness" I'm thinking maybe the language here is a little too simple? Perhaps the word choice could be a bit more formal? Hidden by the darkness... it conjures up beautiful images in my mind, I just think that perhaps it deserves better diction in this particular line.

"dressed in simple peasant clothes." Who decides what simple peasent clothes are? Ha, I'm very biased when it comes to expressions like these, I hate stereotypes, especially in writing. Peasents probably don't all wear the same, they are all under different circumstances, whether slightly different or completely, therefore they would probably just wear what they could find. If they live in different places they will be finding different clothes, if that makes sense. I'm going off in a tangent, aren't I? :lol: Poetry wise I think it's fine to be left though.

"You may not know of me

but I do know of you."
I would nix the do. It reads better without it (and flows better too) You may not know of me but I know of you Yes, I definitely think it reads better. Haha I like these lines, they kind of creep me out a bit, but I like them. :D

"I move around discreetly

leaving not a single clue."
I like the rhyme, quite subtle. It's not too obvious and doesn't seem like you've been sitting around for hours trying to come up with words that sound the exact same down to the very last syllable or like something you've been straining over. A natural rhyme.

"Shrouded by the shadows" I love the imagery here, I can see this scene vividly.

"I take away the light.

I incinerate your being.

Yet, you don't put up a fight."
This is one of the first parts that I began to question this poem's meaning. At this point I realised that it has a deeper meaning than what is apparent on the surface, and I adore poems with meaning. At first I imagined this stanza to signify a story like Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. In case you've not read it, it's about a young bride who marries an older man, his perfect wife has just died and basically everyone hates her because she's not like Rebecca *his dead bride* (who turns out to be quite different from their original assumptions)
It reminds me of a family member, or for that matter anyone, being eclipsed by someone presumed 'better' than them. Yet... yet I think there's something I'm missing here, not sure what but there's something. xD

"Tears clouded your eyes

from my true reflection."
Really wonderful line, I absolutely adore it.

"But this is my duty I'd put a comma here.

my life of deception.

Killing is fairly easy

when I can turn your face pale white.

The creature of the night."
Seriously Shina, your rhyming scheme is great :D I love it.

"The words you may have called me

are words used many times before.

This meager task is simple

but it is still my evil chore.

You all come to love life

and the lives of many others.

But the ending is the same

for you and for your brothers.

My life, to be honest

was made only to end yours.

Rather than to open,

I close all of your doors.

I am the dreaded monster

who feeds on human breath.

I am your destiny,

I am your fated death."
I like the ending too. :D

The poem
O.k. I really liked it, The poem started off with a child? Yes I think it is a child, as the poem develops so too does the child. We see the child become a monster, a killer. Almost like a life story rather than a short poem. Right, this is kind of hard to explain but I will try:-

The person starts off as a child, fairly young and possibly naive. They then go on to become a monster, as it stands, that's it. If we were put in that situation would not we have feelings? I think that's the way to improve this poem, make it more feeling centred.

We, as humans, aren't going to be able to suddenly become evil without any regrets, any thoughts? That's probably the biggest problem I have with this poem, I can't empathise because the character doesn't seem real. Doesn't she have any regrets or remorse over what she's done? Does not she fear for being found out, or for having to kill more?

You need to let us more into her mind, then we'll understand better and we'll empathise.

my opinion
I love the poem. You used wonderful imagery and descriptions, your character certainly intrigued me, I just want to understand why she does what she does, does that make sense? I think I've got too many doeses, okay, I've confused myself now :lol:
The rhyming scheme is great, it seems so natural and easy, very well done, I don't think I'd be able to do it ;)

Anyway;
well done :D
I loved it, and if you do decide to pursue any changes, tell me so I can come back and re review :D
Feel free to leave it as it is too, because it's currently very good, just work on it a little bit. You are also free to disagree with me, chances are I'm wrong, or you don't agree with me. It's up to you. 8)
x

Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:42 am

Shina!

I am here! No doubt about that, of course. However, I am on a time crunch. I'm not sure how much I'll say before I have to bust out of here for school. But I read the poem, and I want to make my comments before I forget. xD

Grammar

Not much grammar as punctuation. There are commas and such you can play around with. Remember that commas are not used just for pauses. They are usually there for a reason. Such as the comma after yet comment -- I would disagree 'cause grammatically, that's incorrect. It would go before it if there was more sentence to it. xD So I would rid myself of that comma.

And poems aren't always capitalized in every line. However, with sing-song poems like you have here, it didn't bother me one bit.

Structure

I notice you start off as a lonely and creepy child in the shadows. Well, not necessarily a child, but a peasant. And then we jump to a monster. I think this works fine. It's sort of a surprise! because the beginning could go with either a lonely child or a monster. It's brilliant story-telling. The reader expects one thing, but something else results. It's pure genius, and you really did nothing wrong in that respect. In my opinion. ^^

Some of your stanzas felt a bit choppy, however. Like... you didn't know what to put there, so you went to Rhyme Zone, found a word that rhymes, and somehow put it in there so you can move on. xD *experience* I'm a musician, and I have an internal metronome. When there's a poem with a rhythm like this here, I can easily catch the glitches. It happens more around the middle verses though. Like:

Tears clouded your eyes
from my true reflection.
But this is my duty
my life of deception.

It sounds forced, and the poem could really do well without it anyway. It doesn't tell us anything new. Unless you can fix this and make it work better, I would just scrap it. There are other verses or points of the poem that are similar, so be sure to look back and ask yourself, "Do I really need this? Does this make sense? Does this sound natural or forced?"

My life, to be honest
was made only to end yours.
Rather than to open,
I close all of your doors.

Another example of a stanza I didn't like 'cause it didn't smooth in with the rest of the poem. If you wrote this as a simple paragraph instead of with line breaks, it should still make sense. Keep that in mind when going back to check these clunky spots. ^^

Subject

Again, I like the monster thing. However, I have one thing to suggest: Don't go overboard.

You start off with this creepy scene with the poor peasant kid/person. It gives the poem an eerie atmosphere, and it makes the reader think. But when you get to things like "I like to kill you when your face turns white," the reader goes, "...huh?" It kind of jumps out of no where and doesn't make total sense -- some but not complete.

I think this is an awesome beginning to an awesome poem! Really, I like the idea. All we have to do is perfect the details. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. ^_^

Jabber, the One and Only!

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 am
Juniper says...

Hi Shina! Summer here! :P

Shrouded by the shadows

I take away the light.

I incinerate your being.

Yet you don't put up a fight.

• Comma belongs after Yet in the last line!

Killing is fairly easy

when I can turn your face pale white.

I am the misfortune fate has forced upon you,

The creature of the night.

• Does the third line sound wordy to you? Can you sustain the same meaning if you drop "upon you"?

You all come to love life

and the many lives of others.

But the ending is the same

for you and for the others.

• Ask yourself if the repetition of "others" will bother your audience ;).

My life, to be honest

was made only to end yours.

Rather than • open,

I close all of your doors.

• See where I stuck that bullet point? I think the flow would be a bit easier if you stuck "to" there, dear.

* *

Okay! So! I really like what you changed here. You've made the poem longer, and more substantial, but! You still lacked punctuation! I think that this poem really needs it, dear, so that we know when to pause and when not to.

It's like, singing a song when you just have the lyrics and no rhythm. The singer isn't going to quite get it the way the author wanted it, right?

Well done, though! I really like it. Keep it up!

Angel of Death says...

To me, it's still as good as the first time I read it. Really, I only ever nitpick on a poem when it needs it and this does not need anymore revision, it's good the way it is now. Sorry, if I wasn't of much help but I really really really like this poem, Shina.

Keep writing,

~Angel

Angels-Symphony says...

Mad_Moo 25524 wrote:Hi there!
Most things here have already been picked up on, so I'll just let you know I thought this was really good. You have nice flow in writing, but the third stanza doesn't really seem to fit in that well compared to the rest. Apart from that, I really enjoyed this :D Well done.

Happy Writing! :D

-Moo

Thanks for all the help guys! Revising this poem has been a lot easier with all of your help. Thanks Mad Moo for the tip about the 3rd stanza. You were right! It was too short to fit in and a little unecessary. But I fixed it and I think I'm good now. but I said that last time which was like 3 edits ago xD Also thank you guys for pointing out your favorite parts.

killxlanesxdeadxx wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this poem. I usually don't like rhyming poetry, I find it takes away from the poem, but in this case I found it soo fluid and think it worked well. The imagery was really good, and made me think about what the author was trying to say.

angels-symphony wrote:

Tears clouded your eyes
from my true reflection.
But this is my duty
my life of deception.

I found that to be an amazing verse!

GAM wrote a review...

I like your poem a lot and I think you should continue writing poems.
Choosing a favorite part in your poem is not easy because every part is good
I guess mine is

My life, to be honest
was made only to end yours.
Rather than open,
I close all of your doors.

I have a problem with this verse

Shrouded by the shadows
I take away the light.
I incinerate your being.
Yet you don't put up a fight?

This verse contradicts the simplicity of your poem
I can't really seem to get your point.

I've already given your poem a gold star and I will love
to read more from you.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 am
Moo wrote a review...

Hi there!

Happy Writing! :D

-Moo

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:03 am
Angels-Symphony says...

Angel of Death wrote:Hey there Shina!

I really liked this and it looks like all the nitpicks have been done, but really I don't see anything wrong with this. Usually, when I review a poem I have to go on about how the person who wrote it is letting rhyme eat up the meaning of the poem, when here, this was executed wonderfully and I was thinking about writing this fantasy romance type story with angels and demons and stuff and this really sounds like one of the characters, Hunter, so this really made me smile.

I thought you would like it, Angel ^^ When I was writing this poem your username came up xD So I decided I would show it to you. Also thank you for the comment on the rhyme scheme and about your favorite stanzas xD It's weird. in this poem the rhymes just came rather than forced itself. It took a lot of fixing, but I think I've almost got it down.

Thank you for the reviews everyone! And June! Hooray for your 100th review. I just want you to read the new editions to the poem! Thanks Rosey for the tip on the consistency. I fixed it :D

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:51 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hiya Shina! Here as requested!

Well, since you rip me apart for nit-picks, I'll just do some overall stuff:

Structure: I like the 2nd and 4th lines rhyming here. It's personally my favourite rhyming structure, and I find it works well for this style of poem. You haven't made things sound forced, which is nice, and the structure just adds something. Since the theme of the poem is more about endings, having the last line rhyme works nicely.

Consistency: You can be a bit inconsistent here. Namely, the second stanza. If you put another couplet somewhere near the end (ie- Another stanza with two lines that do not rhyme before the last stanza) then you have consistency in this poem, and those two lines won't stick out like sore thumbs.

Theme: I found the theme got a bit fuzzy after the couplet, since it seems to go from somebody who's lonely, to a monster, to a vampire and finally to death itself. I would suggest picking a more distinct thread in this, just so we aren't completely confuzzled about what this poem is about. Of course, that is simply my suggestion. You don't have to do it if you don't want.

So, that is what I noticed about this. Hope I helped!

If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:35 am
Angel of Death wrote a review...

Hey there Shina!

Favorite stanzas:

You all come to love life
and the many lives of others.
But the ending is the same
for you and for the others.

My life, to be honest
was made only to end yours.
Rather than open,
I close all of your doors.

I am the dreaded monster
who feeds on human breath.
I am your destiny,
I am your fated death.

Having read a few of your poems, I must say that you are a good poet.

*Clicks gold star*

And if you write anymore poems, please, feel free to give me a heads up ^_^

~Angel

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:13 pm
Musicaloo7311 wrote a review...

Hi angels!

I really have no knowledge of how to nit-pick poems, but I can say this: I thought it was brilliant!
It was more than "all right", no matter how much time it took to write! Haha. That rhymes in an odd way, just saying. :D

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:30 pm
happy-go-lucky wrote a review...

Hiya angels-symphony!

First of all I'd like to say you've got a great poem here, as June said, it's pretty but dark but you've definitely got a good balance of each going on here.:D

As for my favourite stanza, it had to be this one:

I’m the person in the shadows
The one no one knows.
Hidden by the darkness
Dressed in simple peasant clothes.

I especially love that last line!

Right on with the nitpicks!

You may not know me
But I know of you.

Personally, I think it would sound better if you just stuck to one of the two phrases used here. So it would be "You may not know me, But I know you" OR "You may not know of me, But I know of you." The repetition will add a more dramatic effect. :D

Shrouded in dimness
I take away the light.
I incinerate your being
Yet you don’t put up a fight.

Something about the last line in that stanza sounded a little odd, perhaps you may have too many syllables in it? Maybe try rephrasing it to something along the lines of this: "Yet you put up no fight"? I'm not sure :)

I think June's summed up everything else! :D

Keep up the good poetry and PM me if you have any queries!

Happy-go-lucky :D

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:09 am
Juniper wrote a review...

I really wrote this in 50 seconds, so sorry. I hope it's alright xD

Of course it is alright.

Anyway! June here! You get my 100th review this month! Yay!

I’m the kid in the shadows
The one no one knows.
Hidden by the darkness
Dressed in peasant clothes.

The first time you showed this to me, I enjoyed it immensely. I love the whole "kid in the shadows" thing. It's been used plenty of times before, but I enjoy it each time it's used because there are so many ways it can be used.

In the second line, I think it would be fitting to stick "that" somewhere in there. The close repeptition of "one" is a little confusing, so, if you change it to "The one that no one knows," it flows a little easier.

Also! Punctuation!

You know the drill, dear! Comma, semicolon, comma, period!

You may not know me,
But I know of you.

Many times,
Our eyes have met;
Simple moments,
I can’t forget.

I usually don't pick a "favorite" part in a poem, but this is most likely my favorite part. I added punctuation in boldedness ;)

Tears clouded your eyes
From my true reflection.
But this is my duty
my life of deception.

Shina! You have a constant pattern of first line-letter capitalization. :P Take a look at the last line :twisted:

Shrouded in dimness
I take away the light.
I incinerate your being
Yet you don’t put up a fight.

Somehow, dimness seems to spicy of a word here. I know it's not entirely dark, but still. I accidentally read it as darkness :P.

Living in this gloom
I become your certain doom. ←
The misfortune fate forced upon you.

I am your destiny.
I am your death.

Okay! How can something become my certain doom? I'm not sure if certain is the right word here.

Also! These two last lines come off rather preachy. They're kind of... flat, but in a strange way I like them, haha. (I know, I can be contradictory, but still) However, I have no suggestions on how to fix them!

*

Anyway! All of those nitpicks were just to bother you, seriously. I could have done without them!

* *

Overall, Shina, I really like this. It's like... a pretty poem. Now, I know poems can't actually be pretty, but still. It's that type of poem where the message doesn't just lie on the surface, yet it's not too hard to decipher. At the same time, it's not a bright poem, but! You're not drearily writing it for us.

I'm not really making much sense, am I?

To speak, great job!

June

Keep it up! And write more poetry!

You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things...
— Gone With the Wind