Dream Catcher [ch 4] a portion of it

by Angels-Symphony

Another random scene? Yes, so again, I don't expect you guys to understand what's going on. This is the part that introduces Beatrix. My main problem with this is the dialogue in the second half of this piece.

------------

I plop down on the grass and let out a long sigh. You can come eat lunch with us if you want, Jacqueline asked, there’s always room for one more.

From up high, the world is a different place. The buildings look about the size of people, and the people look like ants. The sky still looks majestic, though; clear blue and more eternal than the sea.

“I don’t get it, God,” I say as I reach into my bag. “I’ve grown up my whole life thinking you were too busy for me, but you decide to notice me today?”

No answer. There never is with words.

I remove my camera instead of my lunch and bring it to my face. “Thank you, though, if you’re still listening.”

Through the viewfinder I see the foot of the hill and a piece of the sky. My finger slides to the shutter release button. Suddenly, my hands go numb and I drop the camera. The flash goes off as it falls into my lap.

*

Looking left then right, she draws the hood of her cloak over her eyes and slips out of the pavilion. Now her footing is quick; she dashes around the corner into a field of grass and trees. A circle of boulders lay in the center.

Relief shows through her half smile. She crawls on top of one of the boulders and unwraps her lunch.

“Pasta alla carbonara”—she breathes a sigh—“again.”

“Hey look,”—laughter—“it’s the tutu-wearing slut. Have you been selling yourself again, Beatrix? That’s all your good for, isn’t it?”

The girl plops down beside Beatrix, and crosses her leg. She gives Beatrix a pinch in the cheek.

“Aww, that’s a cute lunch you got there. Did teacher make it for you?” The other members of her posse cover their mouths and giggle; a few other boys from the junior division join them.

Beatrix lowers her head and covers her lunch with the plastic lid; she shakes her head and scoots away.

“Why are you leaving, Beatrix?” the girl coos. She lifts a leg and kicks Beatrix’s lunch onto the floor. “You don’t want to talk to your friend Alice?”

Beatrix shakes her head again and slides off the rock. “I don’t talk to bitches.”

Alice’s eyes widen; she grits her teeth and grabs the collar of a boy near here. “Nick! Do something about this!” she squeals.

“I can’t do anything unless you let go first, babe.” Alice loosens her grip and he pulls himself away. “Yo, Owen”—he snaps his fingers—“she’s all yours.”

A group of boys start to whistle with their hands behind their back and circle Beatrix. Beatrix grips her binders tighter and hurries.

“Not so fast, cutie.” Owen, a boy more like a mountain than a boy, grabs Beatrix’s hand and locks his fingers with hers; with the other, he knocks her binders to the floor.

Beatrix looks up at him, at those dried up, chapped, overused lips. The next thing she knows, those lips are violently moving across her neck, more course than she imagined. Owen pushes her to the floor and saddles himself on top of her. He forces a hand up her shirt.

“Way to go, man!” someone cheers in the background. “Tap that, slut!”

Beatrix clenches her hands and tries kicking him away; he’s too heavy. Instead, he presses his crotch on hers and licks her collarbone to keep her steady. Tears run down Beatrix’s cheek, stinging her face as they move.

“Not again,” she thinks, “not again.”

Owen holds Beatrix by the pigtail and brings her lips toward his. He kisses her neck, her chin, and then the corner of her lip—

“Get off of her, you molester!” Beatrix turns her head and sees a girl from the high school division, the one she lent her boots to, throwing a container of her lunch at Owen. Beatrix rolls away as Owen gets hit straight in the face; the sauce and chicken sink in his pointy hairdo. “Eat that, you asshole!”

Aaralyn grabs the awestruck Beatrix and drags her to the edge of the fence.

“You-you—“

Aaralyn puts a finger to Beatrix lips, points to the angry gang of teenagers behind them, and says: “No need to thank me, just run.” She pulls Beatrix onto her feet and the two throw themselves over the fence and into the forest.

*

From above, someone was watching. The commander presses his head against the window, lost in another world. Asha notices his solemn expression and confronts him.

“What are you looking at, Kaleb?”

Kaleb leaves the window, buries his hands in his pockets, and walks back to the center of the room.

“Nothing,” he says and sits down beside Jakoba.

Asha looks through the window and scowls. Outside, a girl with jet-black hair runs to the forest with her pink-headed companion.

“That tramp.”

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:21 pm
Shearwater wrote a review...

Hi Shina, it's me again.
Alright, so I'm still a bit confused but oh well, I'll try my best! :D

These are just suggestions:

I think it sounds better if you put 'as' after smile and combine the sentences.

Okay this was a bit weird, to me anyway. In the first line you have her lower her head. That implies she's shy or reserved or afraid to stand up for herself (something along those lines) Then in the second line she swears and I think that was odd behavior. A little contradictory...But then again, I don't know this character very well. :D
I still love tutu girl by the way.

*I think the second half was pretty tense, those kids are mean!
One thing that did bother me was the way the action was written. It was a bit out there and lost. The movements didn't seem to fit and it was a bit difficult to picture what was going on. Maybe you could combine more sentences like this:

"Aaralyn puts a finger to Beatrix lips while pointing at the angry gang of teenagers. "No need to thank me, just run," she says to her. Aaralyn pulls Beatrix onto her feet and they throw themselves over the fence and into the forest."
(Sorry for the bad example)
1. Having two objects (Beatrix and 'the gang') and then stating something, make sure to write what is being said to who.
2.Shorten your sentences and don't add *too* much detail. Let the reader imagine it for themselves. Just state what might be different about the scene or something that may be odd.
3. Don't be afraid to add commas :3

Um, that is it, I think. Hopefully this helped in some sort of way...
Keep writing, this is definitely an interesting story. PM me if you decide to post more or just post on my thread :]

~Pink

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:20 pm
forgottenfallen wrote a review...

Hello! I love the idea of this story, I know I'm not 16 and shouldn't have beern reading it...:) Just one thing.

Alice’s eyes widen; she grits her teeth and grabs the collar of a boy near here.

Aaralyn puts a finger to Beatrix lips, points to the angry gang of teenagers behind them, and says:

Sounds a bit like a play write, to me...like instructions for another person to act out. Maybe change your point of view a little?

Forgotten xxx

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:16 am
lilymoore wrote a review...

I’m baaaaaack!

Nitpicks

The buildings look about the size of people, and the people look like ants.

Okay, I’ve got an issue here with parallelism. You’ve got these two similar ideas, but when you write them, they should have a similar structure. That would mean saying instead: “The buildings look no bigger than people, while the people seem no bigger than ants.” (eesh, that sounds icky) But do you get the idea?

“You don’t want to talk to your friend, Alice?”

You need a comma after friend. At least I think so. Just don’t quote me on that one.

A group of boys start to whistle with their hands behind their back and circle Beatrix.

‘back’ should be ‘backs’ plural.

Beatrix grips her binders tighter and hurries.

Hurries where? Do tell more pretty please.

“Get off of her, you molester!”

‘molester’ feels wrong here. If I were her anyways, I would more than likely say ‘perv.’

First Part
I do have a problem with how disjointed everything feels here. The ideas jump around from place to place pretty rapidly and I’m nut sure what meaning they really have.

Second Part
Okay, there is a LOT to take in here and the idea is a really graphic, disgusting one. But you pull it off without being too gory or going into a dramatic amount of detail.

Third Part
Again, because this is just a portion of the chapter, I’m not even entirely sure what this is about or who these people are. But it was put together well, that all I can really say about it.

Overall, this is good and you have my attention with this piece. What I’m worried about is the fact that you have a LOT of characters. So be careful to not get character happy.
If you need any more reviews or opinions or anything like that, I would be ecstatic to help. Seriously…I’ll lick your ear if you don’t let me know when there’s more.

*huggles*
~lilymoore

I don't think so alliyah, but don't quote me on that.
— TheBlueCat