z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Girl Behind the Smile Chapter 3

by AngelLily


    The camp was quiet, but I knew it wouldn’t last long. Nothing ever lasted long except for the stench of death, even the pain of the whips eventually left. My brown eyes darted around my tent. I was always alert, always waiting for the worst to come. Sometimes, our leaders would grab kids in the night and take them to The Break Center. That’s what the kids called it anyway. Kids who went in The Break Center never came back the same. They seemed broken, somehow. Even the most spirited lost some shine in their eyes. I looked at Yuri, she was sleeping beside me, she was 10 and full of spirit. I wondered if she was going to go there next. Ever since Endric escaped, they doubled security and their punishments. Yuri shifted in her sleep and clenched her eyes shut. I knew what was happening— nightmares. I didn’t know a single kid who didn’t have nightmares at camp.

     My heart began to beat faster once I heard the soft thumps of boots. They were coming, and it wasn’t going to end well. The steps were getting louder and my heart almost burst. All the girls in the tent jumped once the tent was violently opened. A man, his face decorated with a nasty gash across his eye, snatched up Yuri. A string of screams fell from Yuri’s lips as the man carried her away. I clamped my eyes shut hoping not to witness any more. The farther away they got, the quieter the screams were. I looked at the other girls in my tent. Their eyes were huge with terror and Kate, the youngest, at age 4, was curled up in a ball with tears streaming down her cheeks.

     I quietly moved toward Kate and pulled her next to me. I, being 16 now, took it upon myself to look after the younger ones. She buried her tiny head in my shirt and began to whimper.

     “It’s okay Kate.” I said in a soothing voice. “I won’t let them take you. They’ll have to take me before they take you.”

     Kate’s tears soaked my shirt, but I didn’t mind. I told the other girls to go back to sleep and not to worry. They slowly crept back into their sleeping bags and laid there thinking about what just happened. A little while later, Kate was asleep next to me and I decided not to go to sleep. There was no point in it anyway. The nightmares were sometimes worse than staying awake and listening to sudden horrors of the camp.

     The next day I saw Yuri. Her blue eyes were swirling with fear and she was really jumpy. She didn’t smile like she usually did when I came up to her.

     “What happened Yuri?” I asked.

     Yuri closed her eyes and began to shake her head. She was shaking and I quickly gave her a hug. She choked out sobs and I just held her trying to calm her down. As we were hugging I saw her neck, which has long red burns across it. It was bubbling up and looked awfully painful. I never figured out what they did to Yuri that night, but I know one thing, I was going to avenge her. I was going to avenge any kid that went into The Break Room.

     I walked back to my tent, anger bubbling in my chest again. These people were going to pay for hurting innocent kids. I didn’t care if I died in the process, I would jab our captors back at least once. I needed weapons, a plan, something! I didn’t know how I was going to accomplish this task. I couldn’t let my anger blind me if I really wanted to get back at our captors. What we really needed was freedom, but freedom comes at a cost way higher than any of us kids at camp could pay.

     I entered my tent only to be startled by a person inside. I jumped back, afraid it was one of the leaders, but realized it wasn’t. He was hiding in a darker part of the tent.

     “Who are you?” I demanded.

     I observed what I could and saw he couldn’t be older than 19. His blond hair looked dirty, and I instantly gasped.

     “Endric?” I asked, unsure.

     “It’s me Harper. I’m back, and I’m here to help you set these kids free.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
465 Reviews


Points: 29825
Reviews: 465

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:14 am
starlitmind wrote a review...



Hey!
I really like your story. The plot is intriguing, and I like how something unexpected happened at the end (Endric returning). You have good word usage. I like your phrases and sentences, such as Nothing ever lasted long except for the stench of death, even the pain of the whips eventually left." I think for this sentence after "death" you need a semicolon, not a comma, so it would read "stench of death; even the pain of the whips eventually left." You use good imagery in some places, such as "Her blue eyes were swirling with fear."
Here's some grammar things: " “What happened Yuri?” You need a comma after happened so it reads "What happened, Yuri?" since it's direct address. "I looked at Yuri, she was sleeping beside me, she was 10 and full of spirit." This is a run on sentence. You can change it by adding conjunctions and/or semicolons and/or other words and phrases or simply breaking up the sentence. Here's one way of doing it: "I looked at Yuri to find her sleeping beside me; she was ten and full of spirit." I think you also need to spell out the number ten instead of putting "10." One more thing I'd to mention for this sentence "She was shaking and I quickly gave her a hug." you need a comma after shaking. There are some other grammatical errors, but don't worry! That's natural; I always end up making many grammatical errors in my writing too :)
I think one thing you can work on is just adding more. Things move on too fast in my opinion, and the reader could always use more. For example, you can talk more about the surroundings, give little details on maybe what the characters are hearing, further explain the plot, and give characterization. To me, I feel like the pace of the story is too fast, and if you develop the characters by giving them more of a personality, the reader can connect and feel apart of the character, and therefore be more invested in the story.
I think you did a good job with this chapter, and I look forward to reading more. This story has caught my attention! I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing :)




User avatar
64 Reviews


Points: 135
Reviews: 64

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:58 am
QuoolQuo wrote a review...



Ahoy hoy,

I don't what stopped me from finding your story sooner but trust when I say that whatever it is won't stop me from continuing to read with interest. This isn't your average story and thus it's hard for me to fully review it in full from what I've read of it so far, but please, I hope I have some general comments or this that will be worth it.

1. Your chapters are short and the delivery is straight forward without being dressed up by overly flowery or abstract language. If I were to attempt something like this, I would fall flat on my face, but you pull it off amazingly well. The emotions of the moment are blunt and hit the reader at full force making the simple powerful.
The only small issue I have with this, which is more in relation to the chapter before this (sorry I'm reviewing the whole beginning of the story here but its review day and wooo! Hufflepuff!) with your character, Endric. With this style that you've developed, it's difficult for me to grow fully emotionally attached to these characters and go through the same emotional roller-coaster (But who knows, I'm not the best with emotional reactions and forming bonds with characters that will have me laughing out loud or bursting into tears so keep that in mind).

2. Again with your chapters being so short, information regarding the setting is sparse and I still don't fully understand whats going on, but I'm pretty sure this was intentional or i'm just a bit slow. Either way, from what I can gather, random children are being kidnapped off the street in a, relatively normal world similar to our own, and being forced into slavery and are abused. Some heavy stuff so I hope Harper and Endric get their revenge and set those kids free.

So that's about it for my review. Everything grammar-wise looks okay to me but I'm not an expert in that strange art of the English language.
I will definitely keep reading so I hope you keep writing!

- H.G




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 383
Reviews: 30

Donate
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:34 am
ShallowHouse wrote a review...



Hi, Angel!

Your friendly neighborhoodie ShallowHouse had just read your chapter and may I say... I didn't expect Endric to be back! My opinion turned into a 180 because of that. Why do you have to play with my feelings like that?! You wanted me to hate him last chapter and now you made me sort of like him now! (I'm loving it, by the way!)

Really, I'm just blown away by this Chapter. I found no problems at all whatsoever so I'll just say this: If you're dubbing a place, you could put emphasis on it by adding quotation marks or putting it in italic. People unfamiliar with new terms might glance over and just read it with no stress and you want them to make a strong mental note of "this one room". See what I did there? No? Well...
Also if you want your character to have a certain characteristic, do the initiative and have them do it the first instance they could! I read the part where they took Yuri away (Poor Yuri) and Harper, instead of helping (and would most likely get pummeled in the face), just watched. WATCHED! But she did redeem herself by comforting this cutie Kate and post-Break Room Yuri so don't worry, I'm still very invested in her and her story!

With all that said, I'm super excited for the next chapter! Your cliffhangers are just... mwuah mwuah! I don't know how else I could explain it but that's as close as I can get! Loving your story and I'm loving the direction it's taking!

Wishing you the best,
ShallowHouse




AngelLily says...


Thank you again.




It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
— Mark Twain