It's about the game!

by AndrijanaTaseva13

Try to think about life in a different way.

For example: You are a great basketball player, playing for the team you’ve always dreamed of.

You are with your team, in the final quarter and you know that there are less than 10 minutes to finish that game and walk away from there as winners or losers. The clock at the wall is going to decide which one.

Or it’s maybe you who does that?

Your team is leading by 2 points and you are the team’s captain and also the one who has scored the most points. Everyone in the audience expect from you to be the best, to give everything you can in order to win that game. It’s either that or you will leave that gym and they’ll forget about you, about that beautiful game lasting for three quarters and also they’ll forget about that number of points you are so proud of.

So you think about that and you see your coach approaching at you and the team and he gives the final orders. You listen him calling out your name and you know it’s going to be up to you, you are either going to make or break it.

You see your teammates, great athletes, amazing and devoted basketball players, looking at you and waiting for you to take the responsibility of how the game is going to end.

You can feel the pressure.

You see all of those people around you, your coach, your teammates, your girlfriend in the audience, your proud father and mother, your friends, and you see in their eyes that they believe in you, they know you can make it.

And then you look at the mirror in the locker room and you see your face and there’s just one question spinning on your mind: Am I going to make it and am I ready and good enough for this?

Suddenly, you forget about all the faces outside and their fate in you.

All you know and all you can think about is doubt. You doubt yourself. You are not sure whether you can do what everyone’s expecting from you.

And then you get out on the court and you give your best.

At the end of the game the audience is still applauding. The question is: whose win are they applauding? 

At the end of the game there is a team that wins and one that loses the game. Which one’s yours?

At the end of the game there is a game clock as a reminder of all those points the teams scored.

At the end of the game you see yourself stuck at the middle of the gym, staring at that game clock and wishing you could go back at the beginning of the final quarter and change everything.

That game clock that shows the result is just that… a game clock that is going to be restarted and it will show someone else’s points tomorrow.

That game clock doesn’t show every ounce of strength you put into every shot you’ve made that night.

You know it. But all you can do is see everybody’s faces around you being disappointed because it turned out the way it did.

You can see the audience leaving the gym and you can hear them talking of how the team that lost had a bad game.

Did you?

Did you, as a single basketball player, playing on your own, put in a team, on the court, surrounded by all your family and friends and fans, have a bad game? Did you?

You scored so many points. You made so many assists. You kicked yourself up to the point you doubted yourself.

So, is that a bad game?

Or is that result an excuse to focus on the failures in life, instead of focusing on the successes you’ve accomplished?

You will push the tape from that match away and you will hide it in your drawers for many years because you don’t want to watch it and go over that again, you already know how it ends, don’t you?

You know the result perfectly well. What’s the point in watching it?

But one day you will be reminded of that game.

A family member will show you a photo of that day, a fan will ask you about your personal score of that day, your girlfriend will mention the name of the gym or you will see the tape in the last drawer where you keep it for years.

It doesn’t matter how, but you will be reminded.

And you will open that drawer, and you will put that tape on and you will watch that match.

Since the very beginning till the very end.

And you will see that for all these years, you’ve been wrong.

You’ve only focused your energy on the result, and it was never about that.

It was about all those great points you scored, and all those great assists you’ve made, and the bits of advice you gave to your teammates, and your team spirit, and selflessness.

It was never about the result, it was about the game.

So, are you proud of the game called life?

Are you proud of what you’ve achieved so far?

Don’t look at the boards with numbers, or the bank accounts, or your wallet… look next to you!

Who do you see?

Are you all alone?

Do you have someone next to you? Someone who loves you, respects you, misses you and wishes you goodnight and good morning?

Do you have that special someone right next to you?

If you do, you are doing great. You are playing the game, and it’s okay, the result doesn’t determine who you are. The number of your bank account is just that, a number.

If you by any chance don’t have that special someone but you have a huge sum of money, and a big house, and numbers that show you that you did great in life, then I am sorry to break it to you, but you haven’t.

You played the game poorly, but you have the score on the wall that shows the opposite right?

Don’t focus on that!

Forget about it, and change your game. There’s always time and strength, you just need will.

And don’t worry about changing the numbers.

People will always remember just the final result of a game. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t play.

The world will always determine you by the sum on your bank account. But you are not just that!

And amidst that, when you thought everyone forgot about how good you were at that game just because you lost it by two points or so, someone will show up and remind you that they haven’t forgotten, that they remember how great that night was, how you shined.

That was definitely not the night that you need to avoid or forget about.

That was the greatest night of your life. That was the night you should always remember and cherish in your memories.

That was the night when you learned that numbers are just numbers, what counts, is how you play the game.

And you had a great game. Despite that game clock proving it differently. 

ParanormalMyth wrote a review...

Hey!

I'm so sorry it took me so long to get to this! I honesty have no excuse, so I'm really sorry!

#000000 "> The Review!

#004000 ">Plot

#004000 "> First things first: I think that this piece of work is better than the other one I read.(I can't remember it's name right now, sorry!) I feel like this one had more of a message, and was more original. I feel like almost anyone could connect to this; I personally did in the respect that on my most recent end-of-year tests for school, I was so focused on the fact that I almost failed the science portion, with a very low score. I was almost oblivious to the fact that in total I scored above my grade level, by a whole school year. Anyways, back to the story. I thought it was very interesting that you used a basketball game for your "example". I personally don't know a thing about sports, but I could still sense how it all tied in very clearly. And then the title to go with it really put the icing on the cake. The message of this was really well done.

#800080 ">Other

#800080 "> Ok. So I think I've finally wrapped my finger around what "bugs" me about your work. It seems as if your trying to make everything sound sophisticated, (that wasn't really the right word choice, but hopefully you get what I'm saying) and it accidentally is just making some sentences confusing to read. With an essay like this, simple sentences that cut to the chase are your better option in the long run, just don't make them choppy. The cut to the chase part will make it more... Uh, I can't seem to find the words. Like, the short sentences will mimick the fast-paced action of the basketball game. Then when you get to the second half of the essay, you can use more "sophisticated" sounding sentences, just make sure they don't get confusing like some of the current ones.

Here's just a random example of one of these sentences
Or it’s maybe you who does that?

You could just as easily say "Or maybe it's you who does that?" ok, that was a bad example because all I did was switch two words, let me find another one (below).

#000080 ">Typos/Grammar/Odd Sentences

#000080 ">
I'm just going to point out one, because I trust that you can find the rest. :)
So you think about that and you see your coach approaching at you and the team and he gives the final orders. You listen to him calling out your name and you know it’s going to be up to you, you are either going to make or break it.

I. "At" isn't needed
II. You need to add the "to"
III. The last sentence is one of those complicated and sophisticated ones. Try "You listen to him calling your name, and you know it's up to you to make or break this game." I haven't changed it much, but in my opinion it's a bit easier to read.

Overall, I really liked this! :)

~Myth

Hello Myth!
Thank you for the review and no problem, I understand!
The important thing is you found the time and I am so happy you did.
I am glad you liked it and you got the message, that was my intention.
Thanks for the advice, I can try that, but complicated and sophisticated sentences, as you called them, are really my cup of tea. Haha :)
Take care, and thanks again!
Andrijana.

I'm happy I found the time as well, because I really enjoyed reading and reviewing this. Thank you for recommending it to me!
Haha, I understand that. Writing is really a personal thing, so if they are your cup of tea, I'd say to definitely stick to them. As long as you love your writing, I think that's what really matters! I also like semi-sophisticated sentences, so I can understand where you're coming from. I just wanted to say something since at times it can become a tad confusing. (Though you've done a good job at making sure that doesn't happen!)
Have a great day, and thank you!
Myth.

Thank you so much once again!
Have a nice day you too!
All the best!

Thank you! :)

Muskan wrote a review...

Hey!
This is great. I liked when it took an absolutely new turn. I wonder why people are after the scores really. Smashing their happiness to the ground, all they run after is money! All I can say is, this is a piece worth reading and everyone shall get a great lesson out of it. I'll surely suggest many to read it just to change their way of thinking. Well done. Keep writing! :)

Thank you so much for everything!
I am glad you liked it! :)
Thanks for recommending it to people, that means a lot!

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:42 am
ThePhoenix wrote a review...

This was a great essay! I'll admit, I'm the kind of person that mainly looks at numbers instead of life...
Anyway...
REVIEW!
There are a few grammatical errors, but that's okay! We can fix that. Well, I'm fixing it...

there as winners or losers.

I think it'd be better if you said "as either winner or losers."

At the end of the game there is a team that wins and one that loses the game.

Pretty sure that it's possible to get a draw. :D

you will see the tape in the last drawer where you keep it for years.

Tape? As in, a VHS tape? Or just a normal recording? And I'm not sure about this but I don't people actually record basketball games on tapes...

Are you all alone?

You never actually reassure or say anything about if the reader is all alone. I mean, you do, but you immediately go to how that if they have a bunch of money then they're not playing the game right.
I mean, you praised (kinda) people who have that special someone, but what about people that don't?

And that's all I got.
Like I said before, I'm the kind of person that looks at the numbers, but I try not to do that so often anymore. You really capture the idea of how it's not the end result that matters, but the person.
:D

I'm sorry if this isn't a very helpful review but I couldn't really find anything else. :D
Happy Writing!

First of all thank you for the review, I appreciate it!
Second of all, I agree about that either, I thought I had it maybe I missed it in the rush, thank you for noticing that.
About the draw, yes, you are right, but in the end there's this team that needs that point to go farther and that team which actually can't use that point for anything, you see where I am going? Mainly that was the point. :)
About the tape, well you know what we call it doesn't change much. A DVD, a tape, a recording... whatever... but basketball players do watch their own games in order to see whether their techniques worked out, where they need improvement and so on. Especially if the team has a great couch and he refers to the past games to show them what they've achieved so far.
And about the last part, well, I didn't mean to praise anybody, I just wanted to pointed out that numbers and money shouldn't be everything in our life.
Thank you for everything, and of course it was helpful! :)
It's always good to hear a different opinion.

I just wanted to point out* :) Auto correct fixed that into pointed for inexplicable reasons. Sorry!

ThePhoenix says...

Oh, I'm sorry! I don't know much about basketball games.

Noo, it's okay, you don't have to apologize! :)
Thank you once again!

kathryn says...

This is a great piece. It's really powerful and it makes you think about what you have really been looking for in your life.

Thank you so much! :) I am really glad you liked it!

althea29michelle wrote a review...

Hello there. I'm actually new here and I usually like to write feature articles and essays so I was exploring a bit, and then I came across this. When I read the title, it caught me for some reason, I don't know why, but it sounded catchy to me. An when I read the entire thing, WHAM! Then it hit me. I don't know how to describe the feeling but it just felt, real. I'm still a novice so I don't know much, but my mentor taught me that a feature writer should picture the moment, I think you're a good storyteller. :-)

Thank you so much for every single word, it means the world to me! I appreciate it and I am reallyyyy glad you liked it! :)

When I saw the title and started reading it, i was excited because i love essays but along with that, i thought it was something sad like, you know, i thought you're going to say, "Life's all about a game, fame and at the end, you're going to die anyway!" BUT, surprisingly, it wasn't about that! I continued reading and i seriously thought, "Lord! So many questions! It's still a sad piece then!" BUT, you've proved me wrong again! So, after finishing the entire article of yours, i ended up having a big smile on my face and like, "Whoa! That is brilliant!" :D

So! You've got a great thing here and gave us all a great message. I thank you for that! You've showed us how results aren't everything. It's the experiences which do matter most. It's the memories. It's about the people we love. I liked the way you compared our life with a basketball game. Fantastic work, really.

Thank you again. I enjoyed it totally and keep writing awesome stuff like this. Oh! Welcome to the site! You're obviously going to enjoy here! :)

Good luck.

~Nire.

Your words mean so much to me! I am really happy to know that you felt this way about my essay and I am glad you liked it!
Thank you for everything, and I think you are right, I will enjoy it here! :)

deleted21 says...

:)

I love how we all band together to break things...
— Kelpies