Amens amantis

by AndrewJamesMurray

The question oft asked by boy about belle, 
What am I to her? Que suis-je pour elle?
Is met just as oft with a heave and sigh,
There's nothing left to do for him but cry.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 pm
guineapiggirl wrote a review...

Hellooooo! Guineapiggirl here to review. But first, welcome to YWS!
This is a very short poem so I will struggle to pull a 250 word review out of it, but I will try!
NOw, I will just get google translate to find what this... Latin? means.
Google Translate has failed me. It detected the language as Catalan and translated it identically into English. So I'll just be reviewing your bits in English.
Let us begin:

Short poems have to be really good. They have to say something awesome or profound or something in very, very few words. THey also have to have awesome rhythm and rhyme and well... they have to be really good.
YOu can't have one forced rhyme or one thing that's less than perfect because there's not enough of the rest of it to forget about the bad bit in.

This is a sweet little piece, and it is quite profound and expresses its idea well, but... Neither of your rhymes are amazing. Especially the first one. I think that saying belle when you've said boy just doesn't work. And then going for its rhyme in another language is just.... well, it's forced.

Aha, google translate is working a little better. Que suis-je pour elle? is french and means... What am I to her?
Aaaah, very nice. OK. And belle is french as well. That works a little better. But do you really need to say What am I to her in two languages? I guess you're adding emphasis to it...
This is better. I can see that if one was a bilingualist in french and english this poem would work very nicely.
Two other things, little mistakes:

Is met just as oft with a heave and sigh

should be and a sigh, really

should be for him to do but cry.

So, in conclusion, the more I read this poem and google translate it the better it seems. Actually, i quite like it and think you've done some nice things here.
Well done. Hope I've helped a little with the little mistakes, although I imagine my rambling and deciding whether I like it probably hasn't!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:06 pm
Love wrote a review...

Hi! So, overall, I must say that this poem seems to lack some substance due to it's size. The ending is terribly ambiguous, and it might be perhaps beneficial to add some content, although this is just my personal opinion. Also, shouldn't "belle" be capitalised? I suspect it's a name, although could be wrong. Oh, and, the last line just doesn't feel right to me. The metre (I think it's called) seems a little off, and you might wish to rearrange it to sound better, perhaps.

That's the only true criticism I have for this piece. Aside from that, I must say that it's a rather pleasant poem. I especially like the line in French which rhymes beautifully with the first line. Anyhow, good luck writing! ^_^

I am just curious-have I ever been on the bottom quote-thingy?
— foxmaster