Jane's Predicament

by AmyMedek

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Jane’s Predicament

Jane sighed, staring out the window. Did her dad really care about her? He said he loved her, but did he really?

Again, she sighed, watching the rain fall down in a slight drizzle. If he really did care about her, wouldn’t he have stopped staying in his room most of the time? Every day he would spend in there, only coming out to eat, grab a book, and sometimes check on her when he thought she was sleeping. Sometimes he would send her letters, but it wasn’t the same.

The rain poured harder, as if reflecting her somber mood. It’s not fair! She thought. She couldn’t even play with anyone her own age. No child, other than her, would even bother to come over here. Some said this place was cursed. She used to listen to the maids and staff when they said this place was hexed by a Kelpie. What is a Kelpie anyway? She wondered.

It must be some type of monster. Maybe like the ones she thought were under her bed? No. It had to be scarier, certainly.

Jane thought harder.

Maybe the Kelpie wasn’t confined just to under the bed. It would have to have access to something much bigger, like the entire estate. She pondered. But where would it be living in? Surely it would have to be somewhere forbidden, some place that barely anyone could go?

Surely the kitchen wouldn’t count. True, Cook didn’t always allow her in there, but she was still able to go in on a regular basis. Hmm…

She thought back to her father’s whispering conversations, the ones he secretly had with Old Man Jack in his bedroom. She remembered having her ear pressed to the door. At first, she couldn’t make out what they said, but as she listened, the hushed words became clearer.

“Jack, I need you to do something for me,” a tenor voice spoke.

She perked up. That sounded like her father.

“Yes, Sir?” a deeper voice rasped.

Jane cringed. That voice, surely it was Old Man Jack.

“Don’t let anyone in the stables, other than you and me. We can’t let anyone else know we have a Kelpie in there.”

She stifled a gasp. No wonder father never wanted me in there.

“Of course, Sir. We can’t take any chances.”

“Thank you, Jack. I need you, since you helped me capture him. Surely you know how to keep the Kelpie in line.”

“Yes, Sir. As long as his bridle and saddle are away from him, he’s helpless.”

Jane shuddered. She had heard enough, silently scurrying back to her room.

“Of course! The stables,” Jane remembered.

It’s the perfect place. She thought.

She remembered looking at the huge monstrous animals from afar. The ones that lived in the stables. They were huge beasts, with large, nasty teeth. They stood on all fours, and had hardened shoes instead of hands and feet. Their long faces held big, round eyes on each side, and they were wide enough to…

She shivered. To stare into your soul.

Surely the Kelpie was a horse. One of those monstrous creatures. One of those beasts.

She hated the sight of them. Hated. Hated. Hated!

If she could, she would never want to look at one of those things again.

Jane had a strange fear of horses. But, if you look into her past, you may not find it as strange as you think. Especially since her fear of horses sprung from her last time with her mother, Lyn.

It’s not that Jane completely remembered the event, but she did remember small bits and pieces. She had enough to remember her fear, the feeling of loss, and hatred for something she found mentally scarring. Only, her hatred didn’t stay for just the Kelpie, though that was a large part of it. Her hatred sprung into all things horse-like, since she couldn’t tell the difference between horses and Kelpies.

Sure, she had a feeling that not all of the horses could be the Kelpie. But she didn’t know which one it was.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:52 am

Hello there! I'd first like to say that I haven't any of your other "Jane" chapters, so I won't really be able to analyze how this relates to other parts of this story, and if any of the story's aspects are developed and all that, but I will be discussing what I think is the plot or point of this chapter. Sorry that I'm a new reader to this story, but I do hope this review helps you! Let's see, I like how Jane appears to be a pretty typical kid, or at least that's what I assume her age is, due to how her thoughts are structured, since this definitely can appeal to your readers, especially on here, as there's a lot of young adults on here. Like Casanova said below, many people can really relate to her reflections, even if this takes place in a much different time period than their own. I very much appreciate that you have tried to relate aspects of your story to real life, as this can get your readers to remember your story, or at least inspire them to do some reflecting of their own. Kudos for that!

Moving on, my eyes are automatically drawn to the section in bold, as Casanova also had already reviewed about. I'm guessing that this is a flashback, but the way you worded it initially makes it seem like it was happening in the normal occurrence events in your story, not that it had already happened and Jane was simply reliving it to try to figure out what a Kelpie was. If you simply put a few words of how she remembered a certain day in particular, and then mess around with the tense before adding "flashback" or whatever, so you don't have to bold several lines and ultimately distract your reader. In addition, I'm so confused by how you address a Kelpie. The way your character reflects on what it could possibly be, and he's in guessing it would be a monster, because while else would her father hide it in the stables and not tell anyone about it? I also don't really get why Jane wouldn't remember about the conversation she overheard until later, as it seems to me that if I had heard something like that, I wouldn't need to go back and remember it after looking though my memories, but I guess to each her own.

All in all, this is an alright chapter. As a reader, I'm happy to have gotten more information on what a Kelpie is, but the way Jane thought about what it was did not appeal to me much. And maybe that's just me, I dunno. Overall, I think that this chapter could definitely be worked into a much more comprehensible story, with not too much effort, but I do recommend that you mess around with how this is formatted, and to change some of the wording since it doesn't really flow at all. Good job for a homework assignment XD. I hope this helped!

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:53 am
Casanova wrote a review...

Heya, Amy! Casanova here with a review!

So the first thing I noticed was this is a chapter and it is the same chapter as other works of yours. Meaning they're part of the same book. I would suggest naming your book something, and putting it in the title. Otherwise some people might get confused, like I did. I went into this thinking it was a chapter one, but it's obviously not. Anyway, to the review!

I wasn't much for this story, but this part right here really got me-

A lot of teenagers and kids deal with this question, and having it as the first part really set the tone of your story, and I particularly enjoyed that. So props for that.

She remembered having her ear pressed to the door. At first, she couldn’t make out what they said, but as she listened, the hushed words became clearer.

“Yes, Sir?” a deeper voice rasped.

I'm having trouble understanding why this is bold. It's happening in the same time as the rest of the story, it's not a flashback or anything, and it's not add on dialogue. I would suggest not making it bold, because a lot of bold is hard on the eyes and with eyes like mine your eyes hurt after reading a couple of sentences like this.

Anyway, overall you have a pretty basic but well structured plot idea, and I think with a little tweaking and editing you could have a really nice piece here. Your characters aren't as bland as I thought they would be, so props for that.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on this one and I hope it helped.

Keep on doing what you're doing and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron

AmyMedek says...

Yay, another review! Huhuhuhuhu *laughs evilly* Ok, note to self... don't bold so much of the story. Got it!

Hail Hydra
— Stan Lee