The Weight of My World In Words

by AmbientGravity

The Weight of My World In Words -On Writing A College Essay or Trying to Find Myself and Also the Meaning of Life

I wander the broken streets of my mind like a stray dog or an amnesiac searching for…..

Something

I don’t know what I want to say but I’ve got to say it fast and I’ve got to say it now, the problem

is, I don't know

Who I am just yet, and so When you ask me to tell you Why I am the way I am and Who I want to be ten years down the line, The words that come out are pretty and stylized.

But I don’t know what they mean, because I don’t know who I am yet. But god damn it, I’ve got to get it out sooner than later because my clocks running down And there’s only so many Good words in the world and I’ve got to get to them To use them To write them down

I know these streets I’ve traveled them before, yet, they are as the clouds, blanketed in a

haze, and I the lone resident search the back alleys and rain gutters for a god or myself

or an answer

Before someone else does Before someone steals the words from my throat from my tongue from the tip of my mind and
the tips of my toes these words are mine but I don't know what they mean or why they are, I just know that they are mine and I Have to find them before someone else says what I want to say, or worse yet Says who I am before I know better

And after all that I’ll be stuck with someone else’s sentences. Someone else’s sentence for my life, my meaning, and my words. And I can’t stomach the thought of that without feeling a little bit ill,
So I write like a madwoman in a trance all through the night, hoping against hope that somewhere
in this hazy delusion of noises and syllables that somewhere an idea will emerge-

And it will tell me who I am, Who I’m supposed to be and why I couldn’t figure it out sooner.

Though I don’t find what I’m looking for I find something, someone, recognizable as a

passing stranger, and as unfamiliar as a dearest friend, and the words come flooding out,

and it doesn’t matter anymore what they mean.

Fri May 14, 2021 2:10 am
Rodionandaxe wrote a review...

Hi! Here for a little review,

This poem is beautiful. I have never read anything like it. The way you have changed the style of the stanza and the style of thoughts is like a pleasant swirl of colours. I especially like how you start by being unsure about the questions and then determining to find answers and in the end you are perhaps sure about things though maybe not the answers of the same questions, that is how i have interpreted it. The fact that you have portrayed two scenes one of thoughts and the other one of wandering through your mind as if it were truly a street, i am absolutely mesmerized by that. The imagery, the flow and all the other working of your poem are really smooth and satisfying.

Before someone else does
Before someone steals the words from my throat from my tongue from the tip of my mind and
the tips of my toes these words are mine but I don't know what they mean or why they are,
I just know that they are mine and I
Have to find them before someone else says what I want to say, or worse yet
Says who I am before
I know better

This stanza speaks to my soul. It is this anxiety that always lives at the back of my mind when i choose to write something. I can't help but be frustrated at not being able to present my thoughts and see others doing the task painlessly. This stanza is very expressive and piercing, great job :D

And after all that I’ll be stuck with someone else’s sentences.
Someone else’s sentence for my life, my meaning, and my words.
And I can’t stomach the thought of that without feeling a little bit ill,

And it will tell me who I am,
Who I’m supposed to be and why I couldn’t figure it out sooner.

This hopelessness followed by self encouragement is such a delightful blend. The imagery is superb too, sorry but i really love it so i can't help but be all praise ;)

Personally i have always been hesitant to write my thoughts and it takes, i think, a lot of courage for anyone to ever expose the inner workings of their mind and heart. A lot of time it is pure fear that motivates me to do a task, a fear of failure, of disappointment, of being nothing, this poem has worded it out for me almost making me overwhelmed to see my deep thoughts written by someone else's hand.

I would be really grateful if you could explain the last four lines to me a bit more, I am a little confused at that part.

I was surprised to find this poem in the green room after I read it, its so pleasant and I hope more people see it. Keep writing such awesome poems.
Byeee!!

LizzAndTheNifflers wrote a review...

First of all, I am new here so my review probably will not be of much literary use but I think that it's such a shame that no-one has noticed this lovely, lovely poem before.

The message here is beautifully clear and every word seems to be immaculately placed with lots of thought behind it. I love the use of these two sort of perspectives (the set of stanzas that are in italic and the set of stanzas that are not), I like how one of them is a metaphor whilst the other one truly shows the emotional struggle that is self-discovery. It especially shocks me how well these two perspectives are done, it adds to the story perfectly instead of clouding it up and making it confusing. Though I am probably too inexperienced to form a correct opinion on this, I absolutely love the rhythm used here. It adds yet another layer of emotion to the poem.

The only slightly nit-picky thing I can think of is that it doesn't really have a conclusion or an ending, but poetry does not actually need to include that so I don't know I can just feel my self being very picky here so I'll leave it at that.

Overall, I love this, I relate to this and it was very well executed!

No need for all the disclaimers! I really appreciate your comment it's super kind and thoughtful, and no worries, everyone's new once and this is super helpful and you don't sound inexperienced. I really appreciate it, thank you so much!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.