16+

I Should Have Said Something| 1 | Dandelions - Ruth B

by AmayaStatham

Play the song for a better effect on the story.

Skyla:

As I sat on the stairs heartbroken, we’d only been married for a year when we lost her. Our darling was six months when the doctor confirmed that she was gone. I was broken and shaken to my core. I had curled up into a furball and sat at the top of the stairs crying.

Caitlin Snow Sad GIF - Caitlin Snow Sad Danielle Panabaker - Discover &  Share GIFs

*

The house we bought a year ago after he proposed to me felt like a principal office to me and strange.

As we signed the contract, the real estate agent said, ‘Here are the keys, it’s yours now.’

I remember the glimmer in Larkin’s eyes, he was so happy for us. I was overjoyed, now we could finally settle down. The last thing we needed before we officially got married.

My father was so proud of me and Larkin, we had managed to buy a house before we got married. He knew this was a big task, but he stood there for us.

*

Now it felt like the house was trying to give me a hug, comfort me and with all the pictures on the wall it made me think of the happy times, I hated that. It seemed unfair. I despised the feeling, I wanted to run away to a beautiful field of dandelions forgetting everything for a second. I wanted to jump in the field, play with the flowers and breathe in the fresh air.

Forgetting cruel reality, forgetting everything and just starting again. I just want to press ctrl z for a second and go back to when everything was still okay and we were still high school sweethearts. We’re going to get our daughter back, is a lie I promise myself.

I don’t think I’ll ever be the same.

As I’m breaking down, I hear the door open and listen to those familiar footsteps entering the house as slow as ever. I can feel the guilt and tension all in the air with every step Larkin takes.

I don’t think we’ll ever be the same again.

Larkin:

I opened the door with a heavy heart dragging myself in. I wished that time stood still for a second, so I could just keep up with everything. I was not ready for that devastating news. I’m not sure how I should feel now.

black and white - Tom Felton | Tom felton, Tom felton draco malfoy, Felton

I remember the day we signed the contract for the house. 

*

The real estate agent had handed us the keys, saying, 'Here are the keys, it’s yours now.' I remember the joy in Skyla’s eyes. She was so excited, so full of hope for our future.

'Look at this place, Skyla,' I had said, my eyes filled with excitement. 'This is our home. Our future.'

She nodded, her eyes shining with happiness. 'I can't believe it, Larkin,' she had finally managed to say. 'We're really doing this. We're starting our own family.'

*

I try to fight the tears that are creeping up in my eyes now. I feel so hot right now, I don’t know if I’m getting a panic attack or if I’m just overreacting. I hold onto the rail of the stairs trying to calm down. I want Skyla to know that I’m there for her, but I don’t want to overwhelm her. She’s the one that’s been through the entire process, it’s not as if I didn’t lose anything, but she was the one carrying her. We were so joyful and felt proud, for we were having our first little being.

I want to run into the unknown and just shout, let it all out. I…I just want it all to stop. I keep telling myself that if we’d gotten earlier to the doctor, perhaps there would have been a chance, but I know that’s a pretty lie I made myself. I want to believe it so badly. I really do.

I don’t think I’ll ever be the same.

As I plop down at the bottom of the stairs, I hear faint sniffling. I know Skyla is beating herself up over there wishing on dandelions there was something she could do about it. I can smell the perfume I bought her as a little gift when we signed that contract for our house. I want to tell her it’s going to be okay, but I know it won’t.

humblebard1 wrote a review...

I love how you've crafted this story that unfolds from two different perspectives; really brings in the true pain you focus on. This is such a difficult topic but i think you capture it beautifully in this short story, there is certainly a feeling of raw grief and unshed tears. Thought it was also very clever that you included a song as the title of the work to be listened to as it is read: you're indeed right, it definitely adds another layer to the scene you've crafted. It's a very good habit to get into (if you haven't already, then forgive me XD) to associate certain scenes and characters with songs/ pieces of music- it really helps to get to know them, and personally i have entire playlists devoted to stuff like this :)
One thing you could add on is perhaps zooming into a moment and really describing it in detail to add more emphasis to this difficult time that Skylar and Larkin are going through: this may help, it may not, it's all up to you! Your writing is amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing perhaps more advancement in this couple's story.
btw- i haven't heard the name Larkin before; just out of curiosity, where did you get it from? Very unique :D
- humblebard

AmayaStatham says...

Hey there,

Thank you for all the suggestions and praises, I appreciate it.
As for the name, I got it from a book called "Echo Mountain" written by Lauren Wolk. There's a boy in there called Larkin.

I'm glad you liked the story!

Cheers,
Amaya

Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:55 pm

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the possessed S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Skylar and Larkin are devastated over the loss of their beloved daughter and it holds them down. They wish that they could change what happened, but of course, nothing from the past can be changed.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I feel like “unfair” and “I” should be spaced, but those are just my thoughts. You don’t have to listen to this if you don’t want to.

Chocolate Bar - I liked the references to the song “Dandelions”. (I listened to the song while reading this and I have to admit, it does give a better effect to the story.) I also liked the different POVS of the characters that show their emotions, it brings light into what losing a special person in their lives felt like. I feel for them both. :{

Closing Graham Cracker - A start into a story of tragedy and rebuilding. Will Skylar and Larkin stay strong for each other or will it all end in tears, where they can only wish on dandelions for a better life? I’ll follow them on their journey whenever a new chapter is posted. Thanks for sharing this! :}

I wish you a fantastic day/night!

AmayaStatham says...

Thank you for leaving a review! I'm glad you enjoyed, a new chapter is coming soon with another song as main line.

Cheers,
Amaya

The first thing I do when I have a good quote is always to put a goat in it. uwu
— Liminality