Rose Petals Falling

by AlyssaB506

Rose Petals Falling

From a seed to a bud

The rose began

In the dirt, the roots dug

The rose will stand

~~*~~

On the surface is life

Made of vibrant green and red

Beneath the ground is strife

Where the dead rose petals bled

~~*~~

Only the beauty is seen

With the exception of thorns

Beneath the ground is obscene

Where the hidden roots mourn

~~*~~

Above, it looks healthy

Nothing less

But beneath is the stealthy

Tangled up mess

~~*~~

The petals fall

Exposing vulnerability

Wilting, not tall

Dying insufferably

~~*~~

The rose lived a long life

One of little downfall

But now a demise

And the rose petals fall

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 am
Queenie wrote a review...

Hey AlyssaB506, Queenie here for a review. For starters, I really enjoyed this poem. I think that the description is beautiful, and I also liked how you linked nature to something that could actually happen to someone in real life. Also, unlike many poems I have read, I think that you did a really good job with the flow of this poem. Now for the critiques, in the lines,"The petals fall Exposing vulnerability Wilting, not tall Dying insufferably" the words vulnerability and insufferably do not rhyme and since this is a rhyming poem I suggest you replace one of those words. Also, in the lines,"The rose lived a long life One of little downfall But now a demise And the rose petals fall" generally in rhyming poems for a rhyme you don't use the same word or word base, so I suggest that you replace either downfall or fall. All in all, other than a few nitpicky things, I think that this was a very successful poem, and I look forward to reading your future works. Keep writing!

AlyssaB506 says...

Midnightmoon wrote a review...

Beautiful poem! I like how you express how the rose is like two different things. Almost like human nature. :). I like how you make the reader think about this poem. What does it mean exactly? What is the hidden message here? Stuff like that. I know it'll be different for every reader, but for me, that's what came out. The only thing I noticed was the line;
"Wilting, not tall.."
I understand the point, but it was a little awkward for me to read. I would maybe change it up somehow. Anyway, that was all! I hope this was helpful, and keep writing! :).

AlyssaB506 says...

Thank you! :)

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina