12+ Language Violence

A Love Like War (Valex)

by AlyYantz

His beautiful smile always had a way of making my day, no matter what mood I was in. Even if if I was in the best mood I could possibly be, he always found a way to make it better. He was perfect, everything about him, and I wanted him to be with me forever. His voice in the recording studio didn't help matters, especially when he did his leg thing. Now I understand why all the fangirls scream when they see Alex playing his guitar on stage, with his tight skinny jeans that form perfectly around his ass and other places that just made my mouth water.

"Vic." I hear someone calling my name, snapping me back into reality. It was Charles, one of the head people at the studio. "You're up. We need you to sing your part with Alex."

"Okay. No problem." I said, lying through my teeth. Me... And Alex... In the same room... Singing together... I was panicking, shaking so hard I swear I wouldn't be able to hide it.

"You better hurry. He's waiting for you now."

As I began to walk, I started hyperventilating. What if he thought I was annoying? What if I made a fool of myself? What it was awkward and he never wanted to see me again? God. At least I was the man in my relationship with Kellin.

As I approached the door, I felt my heart thump through my chest as if I were having an actual heart attack. I used the little strength I had to knock on the door, and I swear nothing in my life could have been as scary as this moment.

The door slowly opened, and that's when his face was inches from mine.

"Oh, hey Vic!" His smile made me breathless. "I've been waiting for you. I'm dying to know how your voice sounds. They say you sing beautifully."

I couldn't help but blush, and thanked my Mexican heritage for hiding it. "Really? I always thought you had the voice of an angel." I looked away, worried that I'd made him uncomfortable, but soon realized that he was flattered. Thank the almighty Jesus!

"You're too sweet. Well, we better get to work before they think we're goofing off, not that I don't enjoy it. You seem like cool shit."

I couldn't believe what he just said. Okay, I told myself. I got this. My body started to relax and become more loose, allowing me to not worry about messing up the vocals. I've always had trouble with singing, and I have no idea how I made it this far with my career.

"Okay guys," Charles said, his voice booming over the PA in the room. "Get ready for the chorus."

The music started playing, no words, just the instruments of the others group members who were now in the lounge having pizza and a couple of beers, leaving Alex and I alone... Together... As I wanted us to be.

Now, it was my time to shine, and show the person I loved what I was made of, hoping he would finally notice me.

"Hearts on fire tonight. Feel my bones ignite." I said, understanding the words that I sang, and felt them so hard at the moment. Trying to fight for someone you love is the hardest thing I've ever had to do... Even with Kellin...

He closed his eyes as he sang the next two lines, head banging slightly to the beat. "Feels like wa-a-a-a-ar. Feels like wa-a-a-a-ar."

Shocked his by his perfect voice, I turned to look at him strumming away, the way his hair flipped, him doing his leg thing again. I just smiled as I kept on staring.

All of a sudden, the music stopped, and Alex's head snapped up in confusion, and he looked straight into my eyes.

Charles began talking over the PA. "Vic, what's going on? Everything okay?"

Everything was a blur. My breathing became short and I started to get dizzy. I looked at Alex, then Charles, and back to Alex. They were staring at me, waiting for me to say something, but I couldn't force the words out.

Alex could sense my struggle and moved closer to me, putting his hand on my arm, which obviously only made my anxiety worse. "Vic..." He said, still keeping eye contact. "Are you okay?"

That's when the pressure became all too much, and I looked down. Before heading out the door, I looked back at Alex and whispered, "I'm sorry."

I ran down the stairs of the studio, needing to go outside and get fresh air before I passed out. Why did I have to screw up? Why couldn't I have just apologized instead of making a scene and troubling everyone? Why? Just... Why?

As I approached the door, a much too familiar voice called my name, and as if my day hadn't gone shitty enough, it was about to.

___________________________

"Kellin... What are you doing here?"

He got off the bench he'd been sitting on and slowly walked towards me, and I backed away at the same pace.

"I had to come see you. We need to talk."

"How did you know I was here?" He looked a me with his green eyes in a way that scared me. I didn't know what was going on.

"I followed you."

"I told you to stay away from me. Do you know the pain you've caused me? You've made me so emotionally unstable!" It didn't help that he was now stalking me.

"And how did I do that?" He said, defending himself. "You're the one controls your feelings! I have nothing to do with that, and you know it. 'Don't point the blame when you can't find nothing. Look to yourself and you might find something.'"

He's the only person I knew that would sing in an argument. I needed to talk things through, and not deal with his ego that's bigger than my dick. He never became mature, and I needed to get away from him.

"You cause the emotions. You make me feel worthless and unwanted. I'm sick of it!"

"And just how, exactly, do I do that?"

Thinking about all the things he did, I narrowed it down to one, the one that hurt me the most. "When you said you love me and left me the next day, because you 'changed your mind,' but then came back a week later asking for forgiveness and another chance."

I hit the wall, leaving me nowhere to go, allowing Kellin to inch closer to me.

"Well, that won't be happening anymore, and you know that."

"Getting Katelynne pregnant doesn't exactly show your love to me, but you need to be there for your child..." I took a slight breathe. "I realize now you don't need me, and I'll just have to learn to live without you."

There was a long silence, Kellin just inches away from me. He reached for my hand, but I made sure to pull away. "What will it take for me to prove that I do love you?"

Getting so pissed off at this point, I blurted, "There's nothing you can do."

Almost pleading, but with no tears developing in his eyes, we were approached by Alex. How long had he been there? What did he hear? Hopefully none of it. He didn't need to know about any of my issues. He didn't need that kind of stress.

"Vic," Alex said. "I talked to Charles. He said to take all the time that you need."

I faked a smile. "Thanks."

"And as for me," Alex continued. "I wanted to make sure you're okay." He gave me the biggest, most warming smile, making me feel like he was there, and actually cared for me.

I started blushing a little more, and Kellin could see it. He knew me well enough to know.

Alex turned to Kellin. "So," he said. "How's everything in your world?"

Kellin, having a face of both anger and suspicion, looked at me and simply said, "I have to go." And left without another word, my heart still broken, untouched from what he had done.

"What was that about? I was only trying to be polite." Alex told me with disappointment in his voice.

I looked up from my feet to face him. "Don't waste your time with that asshole. He doesn't matter anymore."

He heard the hurt in my voice. I could tell from the expression he made. "Well," he began. "I'm always here if you need me. I mean that." He though for a moment. "If you want, to get your mind off of all of this, we could get something to eat. I know this really nice restaurant up the road."

I sat there for a moment, thinking, debating, taking in what he said. Should I? Should I not? Was Kellin waiting for me for when I get home? Was he waiting just outside. There was too much running through my head, and an escape would be nice.

"Yeah. That sounds like fun. Why the hell not?"

Alex exhaled a sigh of relief. "Awesome!" He gave me his adorable smile and I smiled back. "Are you okay? So you think you can finish up today's work? If not, I completely understand. You know what's best for you."

I honestly was scared to go home, and I wanted to get away, and who better than with Alex, the sweetest person I think I've ever met.

"So what do you say. Off we go?" Alex asked me.

"Yes. Thanks by the way." He smiled and we headed back upstairs.

I looked towards the door, and saw Kellin staring in at us, and I realized in that moment, I'd put Alex's life in danger.

___________________________

"You're voice... It's really amazing!" Alex said as he looked across the table at me.

We were sitting in a booth at his favorite restaurant that served "the best meat in town" as he put it, but little does he know that's a lie, because nothing can beat my Mexican dick.

I've never been here, but was soon going to find out. Probably not as good as tacos, but I was willing to give it a try, just for him.

"Are you kidding me? I have the hardest time with my vocals. I envy how beautiful your voice sounds, and it comes so naturally to you."

He gave me a look of insanity. "Vic, do you even realize how amazing you are. Not just at singing, but... Just in general." He took a breathe, and looked at my hand, but resisted reaching out for it, most likely because I was just imagining things. "Listen... I have a secr-"

"One medium rare steak, mashed potatoes and corn." The waitress interrupted.

"That's mine." Alex told her, reaching out for his plate.

"So the other must be your." She handed me my plate.

"Thank you." I said, giving her a friendly smile.

"Enjoy your meal."

As she walked away, I took a bite of my steak and it tasted amazing. Alex must've notice because he was laughing at me.

"I snuck you into heaven. You can thank me later."

"How do you want me to thank you?" I asked flirtatiously, and I had done so by accident. Fuck! I always make things so awkward.

"We'll just wait and see."

I looked up and he gave me a slight wink, and I started fangirling inside. Alex Fucking Gaskarth just fucking winked at me! Ah! It made me feel like a teenage girl, when in reality, I'm a man in my early 30's.

I put a napkin in my shirt and took another bite of this delicious steak. It tasted so good I gave out a slight moan. Apparently, that shocked Alex because he started choking in his food, but managed to clear his throat and said to me, "Didn't think I'd be hearing that on a first date!"

"Wait... This is a date?"

He sprung his head up quickly to look at my face that showed my confusion. "I mean, a date... Like... A get together... Thing..." He paused. "Yeah." And went back to eating his food.

"Food isn't the only thing you can choke on." I muttered under my breathe.

"What?"

"Nothing. I didn't say anything." I lied to him.

As we were finishing up eating dinner, I looked at my watch. It was getting late and it'd take me a while to walk home. Was Kellin there? Would he let me be? What was going to happen? I didn't know, and the later it got, the more I freaked out. Nobody's seen the side of Kellin I have, and they wouldn't want to. He has anger issues, and sometimes, he even gets violent. What would I do?

"Do you have a curfew, or something?" He laughed, and I gave him a slight smile.

"No. I..." I didn't know if I should tell him. If I did, I'd be letting him in more, which would only put him further in danger. So, I decided against it.

"What is it?" He asked, his voice sounding like that of an angel.

"It's nothing. It's just dark out. That's all. And I have to walk home since I walked to the studio today."

"So that's how you get that body of yours in shape, huh? Maybe you should start your own fitness company." We both laughed.

"No." I replied. "That's never happening. I wouldn't make enough money."

"And why wouldn't you? Most girls would join just to see you with your shirt off. I mean, I would!"

I blushed. Man, he had a way with words, making me feel special, but in a good way.

"Well, I'm kind of tired, is all." I confessed, sounding like an absolute bitch.

"No problem. I'll give you a ride home."

"Would you really?"

"Of course."

"Are you sure it wouldn't be a burden on you?"

"Most definitely not! I'm not one of those cruel people who don't give a shit about anyone. Like I said earlier, 'I'm always here if you need me.' I don't fuck around. I mean what I say."

That only made me fall for him more than I already had, and with that, we paid for our dinner, left a tip for the waitress, and got in his car. He drove me home, but little did he know, shit was about to go down, shit we both weren't prepared for.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:47 am
Romania wrote a review...

You wrote a nice short story however it feels like the same cheesy romance stories you get on tv. Try to find ideas that make your story stand out more. Also I suggest using more complex vocabluary in order to sophisicate your writing. Don't get discouraged with this, its good.
The main characters thoughts are well understood but usually "..." is only found in dialouge, not thoughts. Try to make the thought and the actual converastion of the same character slightly different because people dont usually act the same way they think. On grammar you did fairly well and I am no master judge on the subject.

AlyYantz says...

There's more than one part to it, and trust me, it gets WAY more original as well as more interesting. Thank you for your review. :)

BrumalHunter wrote a review...

Fiery Salutations

I love reading short stories, but so many users of the great and fantastic YWS do not study what a short story really should be, so they neglect many of the essential aspects. This also shows in the fact that these aspects are not written about in their reviews, but rest assured (or nervously if you have neglected them as well *squints at author*) that I shall definitely be referring to them in mine.

Even if if I was in the best mood I could possibly be, he always found a way to make it better.

Euphoria - a feeling/emotion/sensation everyone wants to, and in my opinion, should[ experience - at least once in their lives (preferably more, of course).

...with his tight skinny jeans that form perfectly around his ass and other places that just made my mouth water.

Okay, as a male, I find this part a little (a lot) disturbing, but I suppose other girls would happily visualise that picture. (As you can see, I comment as well as review - a two-in-one package! :D )

What it was awkward and he never wanted to see me again?

Oh my... a missing if. I'll just write this one off as a typo, but be sure to read through your work to make sure you do not leave anything out in future.

At least I was the man in my relationship with Kellin.

What the fungus?! Is he a male who is in a relationship with a female but is attracted to another male, or is she a female in a relationship with a male but attracted to someone else (a male, obviously), because I am seriously confused? Oh well, I suppose I shall have to wait and see.

Judging by this, I have come to the conclusion that the protagonist is a she whose name is Victoria, but whose nickname is "Vic".

'Don't point the blame when you can't find nothing. Look to yourself and you might find something.'"

I sincerely hope that is Kellin's bad grammar and not yours. (If it is yours, then no offense, but it should be anything; keeping it nothing makes it a double negative, which means it is actually: " 'Don't point the blame when you can find something. Look to yourself and you might find something.' " which would be very confusing.)

I needed to talk things through, and not deal with his ego that's bigger than my dick. He never became mature, and I needed to get away from him.

Drat it, I assumed incorrectly. Okay then, "Vic" stands for "Victor" (so Alex's behaviour earlier in this story seems rather suspect - as in also potentially homosexual), but more importantly, I see you have rated this 12+ for violence (?) and language (no kidding!). That word you wrote is very crude and would, by YWS rules and standards, not just mine, automatically make this work an 18+ for violence and language. Please fix that.

I took a slight breathe.

Oh boy... (hmm, that's ironic) breathe is a verb, whereas breath is the noun for which you were looking.

-_- Do you normally speak like this, tossing in curse/swear words wherever you like?

"You're voice... It's really amazing!"

O_o A malapropism! You have used the contraction which means you are instead of the possessive pronoun your.

but little does he know that's a lie, because nothing can beat my Mexican dick.

One word: inappropriate. Actually, here's a few more: vulgar, unamusing, unsophisticated. It indicates bad style, and judging by your writing, you are not a bad author.

"So the other must be your."

So too is the "s", which she seems to have dropped on the way. Someone should check their soup - perhaps they received "ssoup".

Alex Fucking Gaskarth just fucking winked at me!

Twice? In the same sentence?! Really?!! If this is your idea of a 12+ work...

I can write an essay on ending a piece of dialogue with full stop, but then writing the narrative as if you had used a comma, but I shan't. Just fix it.

In reference to the above, this falls under the same category. You know what, you just inspired me to write an article/essay/other on writing dialogue. (De-capatilise the He, by the way.)

He drove me home, but little did he know, shit was about to go down, shit we both weren't prepared for.
[/quote][/quote]
This makes for a good cliff-hanger and conclusion, but did you really have to swear twice in the same sentence? Again?

As a whole, your short story has been well-written, but your excessive use of curse words has really spoiled it for me. A good writer is capable of using any means necessary, including curse words and vulgar language, to enhance his/her writing, but an excellent author uses imagery and characterisation to enhance his writing - they have no use for crude writing (to say the least) and can easily find a much more appropriate replacement.

This review was brought to you
by Team Silver.

AlyYantz says...

Thank you for your review. I will tell you I do make a lot of mistakes as far as grammar, especially when I'm writing a story a three o'clock in the morning. I will later fix those mistakes for the greater good, and, again, thank you for pointing them out. There is one part that you were talking about, the "Don't point the blame when you can't find nothing" part. Those are song lyrics that the real life Kellin sings. The name of the song is "Roger Rabbit" and is by Sleeping with Sirens. Hopefully that makes more sense to you and anyone else who reads this work.

Thank you for taking so much time to review my work, and I can't thank you enough. :)

BrumalHunter says...

As long as my review has proven useful to you, I am happy. :)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:56 pm
ExOmelas says...

I promise i'll review this later but I'm on a phone right now. I love it loads so far though :)

AlyYantz says...

Thank you very much :)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm
ExOmelas says...

mashed potatoes are v a l i d
— Liminality