The Order of Atlantis: A New Kingdom

by Alteran

I am proud to present the first chapter of the third and final novel in the Order of Atlantis Trilogy. Enjoy and feel free to devour it :)

The Generals

Lightning flashed across the blackened sky. Each flash casting shadows of towering spires across the decaying ground. Bright yellow eyes watched the wasteland around the new castle for any signs of movement.

The ground gave a slight tremor as another tower rose from the castle. Long, stringy, legs took one step after another; never faltering through the unstable ground. The faded business suit stood out from the surrounding darkness. Each step took him closer; each step gave him an uneasy feeling.

The eyes never ceased to watch him. They burned with the urge to lunge and attack, but were held back by ther fear. Without a glance the man walked past the Shadows into the castle’s foyer.

“My lord, Kore,” said a bowing female. Her black robe swept the ground with her fluid motion.

“What is it, Cassandra?” Kore brushed the arm of his suit in distaste.

“His Greatness has requested your presence in his chambers.”

“Very well,” He marched past the still bowed witch without another indication of her presence. The stairs were long and winding. The trek to the highest tower was a long and exhausting one for those who were not used to it. It was lucky that Kore had made the trip before, he could only hope his luck would hold. This place could use an elevator, he thought as the large metallic doors came into view. They spread open upon Kore’s arrival.

A dim fire burned on one side of the room. Two high backed chairs sat facing it, one was already occupied. Kore could feel his lord’s presence. Black, dominating, suffocating. Even now it was difficult to be near him.

“Y-you wished to see me, my lord,” said Kore.

“Yes, I wanted to hear of our current invasion status,” replied the occupier of the chair. His deep, rich, voice sent silent chills through the air.

“All of Europe is under our control. We meet a stronger resistance in Poland than was expected, but easily crushed. Greece, too, held out for nearly two days before the shadows over ran them.

“The spread into Africa and Russia will be starting soon and there are no signs of resistance so far.”

“What of the Order?”

“Most have taken refuge in the Amazon, The Trees of Light are providing sanctuary for them. A very small number, most likely the Elders, have been reported near the Atlantian ruins…”

“And still, a large number are unaccounted for,” the fire became black as it lunged forth, caging Kore in darkness.

“M-my Lord Nanil, please, I beg you…” He was cut off as Nanil rose from his seat. A black cloak wafting in an unfelt breeze, his armour glistened as he approached the cage. A vine of blood red seemed to change and grow across the black material that composed the armour.

“I will not allow such failure.” The words were clean and calm. Emotionless like blades slicing into Kore’s body; Nanil looked from his mask’s eyeholes at the trembling Kore. “I have a plan, of course. Luckily for you I have placed you within this plan.” The burning cage returned to the fireplace, regaining to its dim red glow.

Nanil led the way deep into his castle, deeper than Kore could have imagined. So many rooms, so many secrets held behind them. Shadows and witches bowed deeply as they passed. Kore trying desperately to keep himself composed. He could not afford to show any sign or strand of weakness to the treacherous witches. If they only knew how uncaring and cold Nanil was.

“This way,” Nanil struck a flaming torch, turning it to a blue flame. A hidden passage opened at once. Only the first few stairs could be seen. “Follow closely.” They set down the stairs. It seemed only Nanil could penetrate the darkness. The entry had sealed and Kore felt desperate to escape.

They reached a large circular room. Once Nanil placed his foot down blue flamed torches lit around it. The dim walls pulsed with the glow of runes that slid around the walls. A small wooden chair rose from the floor and Nanil instructed Kore to sit.

“I have traveled a long way to get here,” said Nanil pacing, “I have conquered hundreds of planets that have then conquered hundreds more. Soon this world will be mine at long last…” He seemed to trail a little, lost into his own thoughts. A sudden realization seemed to hit him and he continued, “On each of these worlds I created a General to oversee my planets while I was away. You were the one for Earth, though you seem to be slipping, so I will be bringing my General from Deldrona.”

The traveling runes started to align themselves along the walls. The name of the planet was the key to the room’s design. As the last rune fell into place, they all glowed in unison. With a massive boom a gateway formed. It shook the room as it drew enormous amounts of power to remain open. Kore gripped the sides of the chair in fear. It felt as if it might swallow him.

“Come forth, Nova! Come to your Creator!” Nanil cried over the sound of gushing wind. With a shudder, a metallic claw shot through the portal, latching itself to the side. The walls were beginning to bow inward as a human-like arm came forth and grabbed the other side. A howl escaped the as a head and shoulder started to appear. Broad and bulky they barely fit through the opening. The runes were losing alignment; the room was going to break down.

Kore stared on, his teeth and fists clenched. Nanil stood relaxed as the waist, pelvis and legs came through the gate. With a powerful thud, the General Nova placed his feet onto the stone floor. The runes broke their structure, allowing the gate to close.

“I have come at the call of my master,” rumbled Nova. Pumps on his metal arm produced small puffs of gas. A few lights flashed followed by the faint sound of gears turning.

“Indeed you have, my loyal general. You are going to be a powerful asset to our newest engagement.” Nova bowed his head before glaring a Kore. “Come, dear Kore.” He got up shakily; his hands were stiff from holding the chair so tightly. He bowed to his master as deeply as possible; the threat of Nova was far too powerful to take any chances.

“I will allow you one last chance. I cannot have anymore of those despicable Elder Generals running around. Cronus is hiding in a cave in China. Kill him.” Kore rose from his bow and prepared to transport himself. “If you fail me, you will not return. In any shell.” Kore refused to show his fear. He allowed the darkness to wrap itself around him, cradle him through the black abyss until he set his feet on solid ground.

Kore stepped out from the shadow of the house. The sun was nearing the horizon, casting elongated shadows across the rural village. Sunlight…how much longer will it shine here? No signs of life escaped the area. It was abandoned; no doubt the residents sought refuge near the coast.

He made his way across the dirt and stone to a path leading to the hills. With a burst of power, Kore vaulted across the path, soon he felt Cronus’ presence. The cave opening was small, how the broad-shouldered Cronus could have gotten in was a wonder. Kore slipped in and made his way.

After an unnaturally curvy and long journey Kore came to a space high enough he could stand. A fading firelight danced across the cave wall. Cronus was just around the corner. This wasn’t a terribly hard task, Kore thought as he wrapped Darkness around himself. It flowed into his hand, creating a swirling void of black. He was ready to strike down the now disgraced Elder, ready to extinguish another life in the name of conquest.

He rounded the corner. The dark power faded as Kore looked at Cronus. Glossy eyes gazed unseeing into the dying fire. Fingers twitched every now and then as black ooze dripped out of his mouth. Kore sighed and sat opposite the Elder.

“No wonder Hades ran the show for so long,” Kore muttered to himself, “You can’t reject darkness. Once you allow it in…you are the darkness.” Kore lifted his hand, a moment of hesitation. With a wave Cronus shattered like glass.

Why did I hesitate? What are these feelings? I’ve never experienced anything like it before. Is this…guilt? How can I feel such a thing?

“Let me out!” The words burst from Kore’s mouth, but it was no longer his mouth. Rudolph was in control. He clutched his chest, fighting the darkness, fighting Kore. With a shudder Rudolph was suppressed.

“Why wont you go on,” Kore said.

I wont let you use me! I wont be made into a puppet of darkness!

“Fine, I’ll get another.” Kore tried to remove his entity from the body. It caught. Something was holding it. “You don’t want to be a puppet yet you hang on to me.” Silence. It was taking everything Rudolph had to keep Kore within him. “Very well, if you want a fight, you shall have it.”

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:58 am
Teague wrote a review...

This crit-the-person-above-you business is turning into a three-ring critique circle between you, me, and Kylan. xD

Right. Let's begin.

Lightning flashed across the blackened sky. Each flash casting shadows of towering spires across the decaying ground.

These two sentences could be combined to make it smoother.

Long, stringy, legs took one step after another;

I feel like you could get rid of the comma after "stringy."

Each step took him closer; each step gave him an uneasy feeling.

I really, really like this line. Just thought you should know that.

were held back by ther fear.

Their*

His deep, rich, voice sent silent chills through the air.

I think you could delete the comma after "rich" here as well.

We meet a stronger resistance in Poland than was expected, but easily crushed.

Met*

regaining to its dim red glow.

Two options here, methinks: "regaining its dim red glow" or "returning to its dim red glow."

Shadows and witches bowed deeply as they passed. Kore trying desperately to keep himself composed.

Combine these two.

They set down the stairs.

"They set off down the stairs," prehaps? ;)

Broad and bulky they barely fit through the opening.

A touch choppy, don't you agree?

With a burst of power, Kore vaulted across the path, soon he felt Cronus’ presence.

And soon*

Kore came to a space high enough he could stand.

Two options to fix this one as well: "high enough so he could stand" or "high enough for him to stand." You're the writer!

“Why wont you go on,” Kore said.

Won't* in all three cases.

Ooh, interesting. I wonder, what's going on here, at the end? How will it play out? You have my interest. :D

Your characters are fine tuned, highly realistic. Nicely done. There are a few minor incidents where you slipped towards telling over showing, but that's okay since you can probably catch those in a rewrite. It's nothing terribly obvious and doesn't detract from your story as much as it would in any other case.

Good job! And the ever-classic "awesome bo-possum" to you! ;)

-St. Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:50 am
Alteran says...

Thanks, I edited it. It's an urban fantasy. I wont really be posting much more on it. I'm still working on book number 2. Be on the look out for that though :)

Fan wrote a review...

Reida's pretty much gone through everything, but I have to say I loved your story. If you ever got it published I'd certainly read it if the rest was as good as this piece!

Is it an urban fantasy story? If so, I would love some tips as I 'm trying to start one up.

Riedawriter23 wrote a review...

Adam_Atlantian wrote:I am proud to present the first chapter of the third and final novel in the Order of Atlantis Trilogy. Enjoy and feel free to devour it :)

The Generals

Lightning flashed across the blackened sky. Each flash cast Hm, casting sounds better here. shadows of towering spires across the decaying ground. Bright yellow eyes watched the wasteland around the new castle for any signs of movement. Great beginning!

The ground gave a slight tremor as another tower rose from the castle. Long, stringy, legs took one step after another; never faltering through the tremor. Tremor used twice sounds a bit odd. The faded business suit stood out from the surrounding darkness. Each step took him closer; each step gave him an uneasy feeling.

The eyes never ceased to watch him. They burned with the urge to lunge and attack, but were held back.Why were they held back? Without a glance the man walked past the Shadows into the castle’s foyer.

“Very well,” He marched past the still bowing bowed Witch Witch doesn't have to be capitalized. without another indication of her presence. The stairs were long and winding. The trek to the highest tower was a long and exhausting one for those who were not used to it. It was lucky that Kore had made the trip before, he could only hope his luck would hold. This place could use an elevator, he thought as the large metallic doors came into view. They spread open upon Kore’s arrival.

A dim fire burned on one side of the room. Two high backed chairs sat facing it, one was already occupied. Kore could feel his lord’s presence. Black, dominating, suffocating. Even now it was difficult to be near him. I love how you described this.

“Yes, I wanted to hear of our current invasion status,” replied the occupier of the chair."The occupier of the chair" sounds kind of funny. Maybe just say where the voice appeared to be coming from without mentioning the exact position. His deep, rich, voice sent silent chills through the air.

“All of Europe is under our control. We meet a stronger resistance in Poland than was expected, but easily crushed. Greece, too, held out for nearly 2 two days before the shadows over ran them.

“What of the Order?”

“Most have taken refuge in the Amazon, The Trees of Light are providing sanctuary to for them. A very small number, most likely the Elders, have been reported near the Atlantian ruins…”

“I will not allow such failure.” The words were clean and calm. Emotionless like blades slicing into Kore’s body; Nanil looked from his mask’s eyeholes into Into? the trembling Kore. “I have a plan, of course. Luckily for you I have placed you within this plan.” The burning cage returned to the fireplace, returning You've already used returned. Maybe it fell back to its dim red glow or something of that nature? to its dim red glow.

“This way,” Nanil struck a flaming torch, turning it to a blue flame. "turning it to a blue flame" doesn't describe enough. A hidden passage opened at once. Only the first few stairs could be seen. “Follow closely.” They set down the stairs. It seemed only Nanil could penetrate the darkness. The entry had sealed and Kore felt desperate to escape.

They reached a large circular room. Once Nanil placed his foot down blue flamed torches lit around the room. Again, room has been used and this place needs a name. Maybe it lit the surroundings and then you go into describing? The dim walls pulsed the glow of runes that moved across the walls. This reads weird. Maybe: The dim walls pulsed the glowing runes that moved across them. A small wooden chair rose from the floor and Nanil instructed Kore to sit. Very well described.

The traveling runs runes started to align themselves along the walls. The name of the planet was the key to the room’s design. As the last rune fell into place, they all glowed in unison. With a massive boom a gateway formed. It shook the room as it drew enormous amounts of power to remain open. Kore gripped the sides of the chair in fear. It felt as if it might swallow him.

“Come forth, Nova! Come to your Creator!” Nanil cried over the sound of gushing wind. With a shudder, a metallic claw shot through the portal, latching itself to the side. The walls were beginning to bow inward as a human-like arm came forth and grabbed the other side. A howl escaped the portal as a head and shoulder started to appear. Broad and bulky they barely fit through the portal Opening. Portal has been overused. The runes were losing alignment; the room was going to break down.

He made his way across the dirt and stone to a path leading to the hills. With a burst of power, Kore vaulted across the path, soon he felt Cronus’s Cronus'presence. The cave opening was small, how the broad-shouldered Cronus could have gotten in was a wonder. Kore slipped in and made his way.

He rounded the corner. The dark power faded as Kore looked at Cronus. Glossy eyes gazed unseeing into the dieing dying fire. Fingers twitched every now and then as black ooze dripped out of his mouth. Kore sighed and sat opposite the Elder.

“No wonder Hades ran the show for so long,” Kore muttered to himself, “You can’t reject darkness. Once you allow it in…you are the darkness.” Kore lifted his hand, a moment of hesitation. With a wave Cronus shattered like glass. Wow.

“Why wont you go on,” Kore said.

“Fine, I’ll get another.” Kore tried to remove his entity from the body. It caught. Something was holding it. “You don’t want to be a puppet yet you hang on to me.” Silence. It was taking everything Rudolph had to keep Kore within him. “Very well, if you want a fight, you shall have it.” Ooo, very interesting.

The description was great and the idea is awesome! I felt the beginning was cliche though. Going to the master who is sitting in a chair by a fire to find out that you failed happens only too often. Tell me when you have the next post!

~Rieda

Squall wrote a review...

Oh my god! I love this. You used the right amout of description to allow us to be able picture the scene. And hell, it is like Final Fantasy lol.

I also liked your characters. Looking forward to seeing them develop as you post more chapters.

There's a conflict already which I'm dying to find out on how it reveals itself.

Keep going!

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."
— Pablo Neruda