z

Young Writers Society



Dimentia

by AliyahPillage


Falling,
I had this illusion,
I was falling,
into nothingness.

Death,
hitting the ground,
at this speed,
and from this height,
meant death.

Questions,
nothing but questions,
running through my head,
Where was I?
What was going on?

Voices,
I could hear voices,
there was someone
there with me.

Falling,
falling into nothing.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:23 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Hello.

I'll be blunt and say I was expecting a lot different when I read the title. I thought you would be talking about the mental illness, but you ended up talking about illusions. This threw me for a loop, and made it hard to get into the poem. When works are very short, the title becomes part of the piece and is almost read as an extension of it. This lack of coherency between title and poem is confusing.

I think you ended up going too abstract with this particular piece; I can see you trying to capture a general idea and the narrator being calm about falling, and what's going on, but there isn't really anything to hold onto in this poem. What I mean is, poetry often needs to have something stable for readers to slip themselves into, otherwise the work becomes so ephemeral nobody can truly grasp it. While abstract poems tend to try for this result, I've found they still have something in them that can be gripped, seen, or generally sensed (meaning, one of the five senses) that's strong enough for imagery to be formed.

This isn't to say you need imagery, but you do need sensation in the early parts of the poem. Context would help, as well, but it's not needed if you're just trying to achieve a biophysical reaction. If you are trying to achieve a reaction, then really focus on little sensory details that we can hold onto and feel. If you're trying to capture a moment, then add in context.

This lack of substance isn't helped by the repetition, like Kyll said. I'd listen to that point because short poems have every word count more than longer poems. Poetry in general needs to have every single word count, or else it loses all meaning.

Right now, you've got too much junk and not enough solidity to really have any meaning.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.

~Rosey




User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 435
Reviews: 68

Donate
Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:15 am
live1out2loud7 wrote a review...



I thought that this was a very good and effective poem. However, at some times it was a little bit confusing. I was a little confused when you jumped from falling to death and then from death to questions. It seemed like sort of drastic changes to me and it took me a couple times of reading the poem through in order to understand what you were really writing about. I believe that you are writing about dementia. I do not know much about it, but if I was correct and you just misspelled it, then I do not think that this poem really has much to do with dementia. Although I can see the connection at a few points, I think you need to revise the poem to fit your desired topic.

Lastly, I think on the last line you meant to say nothing, not nohing. I think that this poem could use some revision, but it does definitely have the potential to be a lot better if you are willing to put in that time and effort required to revise it. Good job so far, and keep working on it!




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:06 am
View Likes
Snoink wrote a review...



Hmmm... this poem is kind of confusing. First of all, what is dimentia? At first, I though it might be a misspelling of "dementia" but if this is the case, then I have no idea what dementia has to do with this poem. At all. It's pretty confusing!

The next thing is... okay, it's about falling. All right. But, it's not particularly interesting in how it deals with falling. Falling can be very interesting in its own right! After all, how many nightmares (and scary ones too) have to do with falling? Also, people often describe having depression as a kind of falling. So, that's pretty interesting too!

But, you just talk about the action. Nothing really interesting, as far as why this is going on. No particular insight. It's just... somebody falling.

I think you can do more! Consider if you were actually at a precipice. What thoughts would be in your head? Would the air make you dizzy?

So, basically, right now you a bunch of obvious statements strung together. This is a good start. But, give us some meaning and depth behind these statements, and I think this will be much better.

Good luck!




User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 am
Kale wrote a review...



Falling,
I had this illusion,
I was falling,
into nothingess.

So, while falling, you're experiencing the illusion of falling? That doesn't make sense.

Also, "nothingness" is misspelled. Considering this is just the first stanza, it really doesn't reflect well upon the rest of the poem.

Death,
hitting the ground,
at this speed,
and from this height,
meant death.

With the current set of punctuation, this reads like death is hitting the ground from a lethal height and dying, which really doesn't make sense.

falling into nohing.

Another misspelling. Should be "nothing". That you have two such misspelling which a basic spelling checker would have caught in this poem indicates to me that you didn't proofread before posting, which is not a good idea. At all.

Since this poem is so short, every single mistake weighs heavily on it. One mistake was bad enough, but two? Ouch. You really need to fix those.

In addition, a lot of the stanzas were repetitious. Coupled with how simple the language was, this repetition really counted against the poem. It made the poem overall feel redundant and even more tangled upon itself, especially with how tangled the meanings of the two stanzas I quoted are.

At the moment, there really isn't much going for this poem. It might be easier to take the idea from this and rework the idea from scratch rather than try to rewrite this. Whatever you decide to do, be sure to ensure that your poem makes sense overall, and that the punctuation helps the poem make sense rather than confuses the meaning, like what happened in the second stanza.






I'm sorry Kyllorac but some people in this world are dyslexic and I am one of those people, that's no excuse for bad writing but I'm also just a beginner, what can I say other than if you don't like the first stanza don't read the poem.



Kale says...


I'm dyslexic too, and yet you don't see me leaving rather obvious typos that a spelling checker would easily find in my works.

Additionally, this is a site for writers to get suggestions to improve their writing. I read the entire poem and wrote the above review with the intention of helping your improve your poetry. If you can't appreciate that, then don't expect any more reviews.




It’s not unorthodox, I thought it was beautiful.
— Jimi Hendrix