Home » Literary works » Lyrics » Horror

Carol of the Zombies

by AlfredSymon

(In tune of 'Carol of the Bells')

Hark! How their brains
Sweet, supple brains,
all seem to say,
"Eat us away."
Christmas is here
Fresh eye and ear
from young and old
please pass the mold!

Eurghk, grlshkha, blrukh, glonkng
That is our song
With dying ring
all us feeding
We seem to hear
screams, oh so clear!
From everywhere
filling the air!

Oh how they pound
escape without sound
But they will not
let's feast on the lot!
Gaily we hunt
While neighbors run
A screaming delight
served on this night!
Bloody, bloody, bloody, bloody Christmas

On, on they hide
bleeding outside
Their lovely tone
Torn-flesh; they moan!

[Repeat from the beginning]

Eurghk, grlshkha, blrukh, glonkng Christmas
Eurghk, grlshkha, blrukh, glonkng Christmas!
Ding, dong, ding, dong

BRAINS! BRAINS!

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:44 pm
Demeter wrote a review...

Hi Alfred!

This was absolutely hilarious. :D Please say you took part in the Holiday Lyrics contest!

I'm *so* glad to find that someone else does this as well - rewriting lyrics that already have a tune is one of the most fun things I know. :D It goes without saying that I really liked this! I had to look up Carol of the Bells, because I didn't know the tune before, and I tried singing along with these lyrics to see how well they fitted.

Overall, I have to say you did an amazing job! There were a few bits that didn't flow as smoothly as the others though.

Oh how they pound
escape without sound
But they will not
let's feast on the lot!

I think it was mainly this section. I think the second and the fourth line have each one syllable more than the original version, so that's why they sound a bit forced. It would be amazing if you could come up with versions that had the same number of syllables! It's sad if one or two lines make an otherwise good song stumble.

Eurghk, grlshkha, blrukh, glonkng
That is our song

This was really funny, although I'm not sure how to pronounce the sounds! But maybe it's for everyone to choose. ;)

I also really liked how you left in some of the original words where they fit. That just makes it even funnier (or maybe I just say that because I like doing it as well)!

Loved this :D

Demeter
x

alfredsymon says...

Thanks for the accolades, Demi :) I did include it in the contest, whatever verdict I'll get I'll accept. Happy New Year!

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:36 am
Pencil2paper wrote a review...

Awesomeness. I myself am obsessed with all things zombie (as are my friends) and I have to say this is awesome. No criticisms or complaints. I hope you don't mind if I print this and take it Christmas caroling next year with my friends...

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:20 pm
ShadowVyper wrote a review...

Hey Alf!

I'm here to return one of the many favors you've given me! :)

...though...I don't review many lyrics...so I'm not really sure how to go about it. One thing I do know is my initial reaction to this song...EWW!

This song is really...nasty...but at the same time it wasn't creepy, which is good. Most zombie things are creepy and nasty, but this wasn't all that creepy (of course, I haven't heard the tune that you've put it to...;) ).

Anyway, it was good. The only thing I saw was:

~ You missed the punctuation at the end of the first line I quoted.

...alright, this wasn't nearly as helpful as your reviews are...but there it is.

Keep Writing!

~Shady 8)

alfredsymon says...

Thanks Shady :)

Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
— Bernard Malamud