z

Young Writers Society


12+

To Win Your Hand Chapter 1.1

by AlexaBWill


Bleating, dirt; bleeding, dirt. Screaming, slipping, scattering rocks.

I was charging down a steep incline towards the edge of a cliff with no regards for my own safety, all to stop my brother’s beloved nanny from an untimely death. As I flew along, nettles scratched at my shins, and my sandals tore up clumps of soil as I tried to keep up with my own weight.

If it had been under any other circumstance, I would have relished the sensation of the wind rustling my damp hair and the sight of the ocean’s waves gilded by the sunset, but as I was soon to be plummeting to my death, all I could focus on was the wiry goat running gleefully along the cliff’s edge. I knew those rocks like the back of my hand— which from years of weaving and farm work I knew quite well— and it was clear that Cleo would slip and fall at any second.

At that point, I had tried everything from calling her to offering her treats, but her untoward behavior persisted. I was almost ready to let her go to her death. Still, she was Cy’s goat, and I was sure my brother would never speak to me again if I just stood by and watched as she strutted off of the cliff’s edge.

I stopped at the edge of the thicket.

“Cleo,” I said. “Come here, please.”

She took another step towards the cliff edge. Rocks went scattering down into oblivion.

“Cleo,” I called again, this time louder and sterner.

She took two more steps, and then she began to run again.

“Cleo!”

I stalled for a second, blinking, baffled, and then I was dashing along the very edge of the cliff, slivers of distance away from Hades.

Just as Cleo was about to go plummeting to her death, I dove. My chest skidded painfully against the stone-littered ground; my lungs groaned in protest as I landed heavily on Cleo’s backside. With my arms wrapped tightly around her, I rolled her over and tossed her as far as I could before jumping to my feet and seizing her by the scruff of her neck.

“You stupid, stupid thing! Why could you not just stay put like you were supposed to? The sun is setting, I am covered in mud, we have a field of thorns and barley to hike across before we get home, you have ruined my tunic, and my legs won’t stop stinging for a month!

‘By the Gods, I hate goats. If Cy had listened to me when Pa died and sold the farm to that bastard innkeeper, Pano, we could be living by the ocean in a nice little cottage selling shell jewelry and fishing.”

With that and a string of curses, I set off towards home. Already in a foul mood, with my entire body aching and burning and a goat bleating as I dragged her along behind me, I was convinced the day couldn’t possibly get any worse. Oh, how horribly wrong I was.

By the time I made it back to the farm, a small fire had been lit in the hearth and the rest of Cleo’s ornery relatives were locked away behind the fence. I entered through the door in the kitchen, hoping that the abundant spices that my home always smelled of would lighten my mood, but I was met by the worst thing possible: visitors.

My brother had never seemed to understand the purpose of a door. It was almost always left unlocked, and neighbors never bothered knocking. After all, there was nothing worth stealing in a poor goatherd’s home. Thus it was that I unwittingly found myself crusted in dirt and blood, my soot-black hair matted like the thicket I had just waded through, and a dark frown creasing my already solemn features, standing before the innkeeper and his dim-witted son, Lithios.

It was a well-known fact that at twenty years old, Lithios hadn’t been married off yet. He was handsome enough, with dark, aquiline features and was known for his admirable religious zeal and piety, though even more so for his dumbness. The man couldn’t tell a dog from a wolf if his life depended on it.

“Good evening, sirs!” I said.

I glanced over at Cy, who was leaning by the hearth with a knowing smirk on his face. The innkeeper was in a similar mood.

“Is this your sister?”

His grin splitting even wider, Cy pushed himself from the wall and came forward to take my hand.

“Yes! Theo, meet Pano, your future father-in-law.”

I’m sure at that moment I looked like the stupid farmgirl I was expected to be. My eyes widened in surprise and my tongue turned to thick glue. I followed Cy’s gaze to where Lithios stood next to his father, staring at me with equal measures of lust and disgust. In my defense, at least I was just dirty. He was revolting in every way.

“My father-in-law,” I said through gritted teeth. “How absolutely delightful.”

Cy had been threatening to marry me off for months, empty as our pockets were, but the fact that he had propositioned Pano - and the fact that he accepted! - was too much to bear. Men were disagreeable. Lithios was vile.

I looked into his dark, seedy eyes, over at my brother’s self-satisfied grin, and over at my bed in the corner of the house. Three men were standing in my house, one of them my brother, one of them an old man, and one of them half an ass, but I was tired and angry and for a few more days, I was the lady of the house.

Without saying a word, accepting the marriage or otherwise, I walked over to my bed, threw myself onto it, and began screaming into the pillow.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
206 Reviews


Points: 8788
Reviews: 206

Donate
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:52 am
Honora wrote a review...



Hey there Alexa! I know this is really late but better late then never, right?
I’ll start off by saying that it is pretty interesting. I like the way that you wrote her anger towards the goat lol. I found the way you wrote was good and easy to follow. I really have no complaints about it. One thing that is especially nice is that it’s personal. Lots of books have more of a narrator feel to it but with yours it feels like I’m in the story and with her as her emotions go on.
It’s really good and I’m looking forward to reading more! :)




AlexaBWill says...


Thank you so much! I appreciate your feedback and am glad you like it!



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 636
Reviews: 12

Donate
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:39 pm
interstella wrote a review...



Hello, Alexa! This is a great piece, and I had a lot of fun reading it. Right from the first sentence, I was hooked- excellent, almost poetic first sentence, nice play on words. The conflict starts immediately and draws the reader into the story. Also, your spelling and grammar is pretty much perfect. I couldn't find any mistakes.
I love your protagonist's sassy (I hate that word but it fits) attitude- I think you have definitely flipped the tired trope of the damsel in distress. Make sure she has agency as the story continues, a lot of the "forced marriage" plotlines I've read can be degrading to the female protagonist.
I also like how we mostly get a sense of backstory without dumping a bunch of information from the get-go. Well done, that's a hard thing to do. My only complaint in that department is this line: ‘By the Gods, I hate goats. If Cy had listened to me when Pa died and sold the farm to that bastard innkeeper, Pano, we could be living by the ocean in a nice little cottage selling shell jewelry and fishing.” In dialogue form, I think it feels a bit info-dumpy, maybe split it up into a few lines and scatter them without the story. That's likely not something somebody would normally say. Perhaps just explicitly state it when describing the house or something. Or just don't listen to me, I'm an amateur and I'm still not 100% sure about the best way to convey backstory.
Overall, you have written a wonderful, compelling piece with interesting characters, and I'm excited to read more!

Happy writing,
Stella




AlexaBWill says...


Hello! Thank you so much for the feedback, and I%u2019m glad you enjoyed the story. I actually agree with you on that info-dumpy line. I wasn%u2019t actually trying to convey backstory there, it was actually more of a %u201Cranting to the goat%u201D but now that I read it back, it does seem a bit clunky.

And don%u2019t worry, Theo%u2019s not going to take this one lying down XD I actually wrote this story as a spin on the whole %u201Carranges marriage%u201D thing.



User avatar
98 Reviews


Points: 4055
Reviews: 98

Donate
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:28 pm
trashykawa wrote a review...



Hi Alexa!
This was a really fun read, I enjoyed every bit of it. I'll begin by saying that the next part to this better come fast; not because there was much of a cliffhanger at the last part, but just because you've really hooked me into this story; and since I doubt you're willing to unhook me; i expect some some good entertainment (its very impressive, by the way, how you've managed to interest the reader in just a few lines).

I'm a fan of these eras, where girls are married off to unknown people by their fathers and brothers; and where everyone has a thing for rearing sheep instead of living by the ocean; so i'm even more excited to know what happens next and to get more of Theo and her smart-talk.

Also, the traditional view of men being pigs and thick as door-knobs is highly entertaining; so points for that too.

Ah! The evilness of goats! How they mock us! Of course they mean to torture us till death claims us, and even then, their smell shall haunt us while we rest in Elysium (I feel very sorry for Theo, the smell of a goat isn't really rose water, and I should know, i have had the misfortune of observing them at close quarters).

Your grammars perfect, punctuation good, and...... well, everything's perfect; you're a writer if there ever was one. Though some might say that a few more descriptions might work for your story (like, give us a visual as to how our darling protagonist looks, etc).

I'm counting down to when you publish the next part of this chapter.

Keep up the good work, Alexa! (is too morbid that every time I say Alexa i feel like I'm talking to the Amazon AI Assistant?




AlexaBWill says...


I'm so happy you enjoyed it! The second part is probably coming soon, I just have to edit it!

I, too, enjoy these times (although I don't like the fact that girls were married off), but don't worry, Theo's not just going to let it happen.



User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 1940
Reviews: 109

Donate
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:54 pm
Gnomish says...



Great job!
I liked how you made the beginning suspenseful, by having her running down a cliff. I'm not really a goat person, and when you said nanny I thought you meant a nursemaid-type nanny, not a goat. Not much I can say about this.
Anyways, awesome story!




AlexaBWill says...


Thank you for the feedback! I intentionally used the word 'nanny' to create tension because I feel like most people would probably be more concerned about a human babysitter than a goat lol.




Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
— Dr. Seuss