z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Friday Night Dinner – Series 3 Review

by AlexRichardson06


The third series of the popular sitcom recently came to a conclusion and although I thoroughly enjoyed sitting down on a dull Friday night at 10 o’clock to watch one of my favourite programmes, compared to the first two series I didn’t find myself laughing as much as I thought I should have been.

The first two series gave the writers and producers a lot to live up to, with several funny moments in each episode which gave me the reason to repeatedly watch both series again and again. After seeing the advert for the third series I was anticipating more of the same. Lots of absent minded comments from Martin Goodman, pranks played by the two ‘bambinos’ Jonny (Tom Rosenthal) and Adam Goodman (Simon Bird) and awkward situations caused by lonely neighbour Jim (Mark Heaps) all of which gave the programme something else, comedy that was different to most other sitcoms.

The series began with two episodes which were more alike to series 1 and 2 than the rest in my opinion. The father Martin Goodman was at his very best in the first instalment, and was the foundation of a hilarious theme throughout the second show, trying his utmost best to hide a dead but frozen fox from his wife Jackie Goodman (Tamsin Greig).

However the following four episodes gave less comical value than the previous 15 episodes and included story lines that were also controversial due to the unrealistic factor that they carried. An example, the wedding of Grandma (Frances Cuka), although this could be a real life issue, was carried out in my opinion in a way that didn’t agree with the humorous side to the programme. This is what prevented the show from reaching the high standards that were set by the first two series.

Although, only negative points have been addressed, I still enjoyed watching the show every week and would duly look forward to another series possibly being released in the future. To add, although it may contrast to other people’s opinions, I would much rather see the consistency of humour that the first two series carried compared to the writers trying something different as they have tried in series three. However, I will almost certainly be an excited viewer if there is to be a series four of Friday Night Dinner.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:53 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



Hey there!

So first of all I have to say I haven't seen a single episode of Friday Night Dinner. BUT I think that might prove to be useful to you and me as I review. Because what I'm mainly missing in this article is the specificity of how this new humor doesn't match the old humor. You kind of mentioned absent-minded comments, pranks, and awkward situations, but I'm not really clear on the flavor of these. What kind of absent-minded comments are they, and why are they funny? Are the pranks done with a little malice? What kind of pranks are they, usually? Thoughtful mind-bending ones? Physical slap-stick noes? What are the awkward situations generally like and why are those funny? I have so many questions!

The reason I think this will be good for you is because it's HARD to describe exactly what makes something funny, but if you manage to work your way through the difficulty and do so, this article will be just that much crisper and more accurate. It will move from being somebody saying they liked this season, but not as much as the others, to someone really analyzing the show and providing reasons for others to watch the show and get to know what it could possibly be like.

I hope these thoughts are helpful for you!
If you have any questions / comments about them, please PM me or comment on this review.
Good luck and keep writing!

Hannah



Random avatar


Thanks a lot, brilliant help!

I'll take it all on board!

:-)



User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 200

Donate
Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:40 pm
EmeraldEyes wrote a review...



Hi.

It's interesting to try and review this on literary merit, because you've written your own work but it's about someone else's work.
It's also interesting that you have decided to review something - a TV show!
Clearly you're a fan. XD

In terms of structure, I feel like you've done a good job in setting it out and organisation is really good.
I like the way you follow the rules and break the separate ideas down into separate paragraphs.

The series began with two episodes which were more alike to series 1 and 2 than the rest in my opinion. The father Martin Goodman was at his very best in the first instalment, and was the foundation of a hilarious theme throughout the second show, trying his utmost best to hide a dead but frozen fox from his wife Jackie Goodman (Tamsin Greig).


You also give good references that are relevant to your point.
An interesting first work for YWS.
Well done. :)



Random avatar


Thanks very much! I really appreciate it! :-)




"Please put me in the quote generator whenever you like."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi