The Dragon's Doings

by AlexOfLight

The Dragon's Doings                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Its scales gleaming and glittering,

under the bright morning sun,

ran and leaped and

spread its great leathery wings,

and roared in shear joy,

into the immense, 

crystal clear, 

blue sky.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Then,

beating its huge wings,

it climbed higher, and higher,

into that blue sky,

to look for something to scorch.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

It soared high over,

rolling hills,

rushing rivers and streams,

vast emerald green forests,

and thundring waterfalls,

until it spotted a tiny town,

nestled in a peaceful little valley.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

There,

it tucked its wings to its flanks,

and dove,

plummeting toward the town,

cool mountain air rushing by,

whistling and howling in its ears.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Suddenly it pulled out of its plunge,

to hover over the town,

and it sucked in a deep long breath,

and spewed out red-orange flames that,

burn,

scorch,

roast,

destroy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Satisfied with its destruction,

it flew back home peacefully,

to its seaside cliff,

in a canyon,

where it frolics and plays,

dodging towering rocky spires.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

This is a dragon

and this is what they do. 

AriannaC wrote a review...

I felt like a dragon reading this! Which is a good thing. Description words where very good and fit the poem well. However, I feel like the repeated word "blue sky" at the end of stanza 1 and in the middle of stanza 2 kinda interupt the flow a little bit. The ending doesnt fit very well either...Other than those 2 things, this was great!

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:53 pm
Mathy wrote a review...

This is ZeldaIsShiek back for another friendly review for a friend! Today I will be reviewing a poem by AlexOfLight titled The Dragon.

First off, I noticed that your poem did not rhyme very well, if at all. This is okay. I actually like poems better when they are written in this style, as opposed to A-B-A-B rhyme styles. Aside from that, there were not many errors in this poem.

"The Dragon Its scales gleaming and glittering,

under the bright morning sun,

ran and leaped and

spread its great leathery wings,

and roared in shear joy,

into the immense,

crystal clear,

blue sky. "

This was a very profound opening phrase which I found exciting and powerful. My only question is of the first line here: 'The Dragon.' Why was this separated from the rest of the poem. I really think you could not have been more profound in this beginning.

This poem left me in awe of its awesome words. But when you said it was a project for school, it made me wonder... We had a poetry project? We are in the same grade at the same school! How did I not have this project? I guess we do have different teachers... ZeldaIsShiek, out!

AlexOfLight says...

AlexOfLight says...

Oh, and "The Dragon" is the title.

AlexOfLight says...

There. I made it bigger.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:05 am
NarniaQueen says...

Wow! This poem is awesome! Keep it up!

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:04 am
NarniaQueen says...

Wow! This poem is awesome! Keep it up!

AlexOfLight says...

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:15 am
Burrow wrote a review...

I have to agree with you, it does make me feel like a dragon.

This poem really flowed well and it is one of the first fantasy poems that I have seen, so this is different to the usual poems, but that is not a bad thing. I might have put a few well placed stanzas throughout the poem, so you can keep track were you are looking at. I like the ending there isnt really anything you can do to fix it, its pretty good.

Not much else that I can see that I would fix, so good job mate, great poem.
I hope you write more :D

Burrow

AlexOfLight says...

Thank you! :)

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:14 am
Kazeybear wrote a review...

Hey! Kazey here for a review!

Now, a word of warning. I may be a little harsh in this review, and I'm sorry for that. I don't mean to be, its just how I come across sometimes.

I didn't really like this poem. I feel it lacked many things. First, a rule of writing, though admittedly I find it hard; show, don't tell. Their is so much going on in this poem, but youre constantly telling us, not showing. For example, you could write, "It caught itself in a fall from grace, to hover over dank little dots of houses far below. Fire consumed him, and leapt from his body to ravage, kill, destroy." Use evocative words, that really engage the reader.

Secondly, this poem needs stanzas. Decide where you want to break your poem up, into paragraphs, so to speak, and break it up. It makes a poem so much easier for the reader to, well... Read.

Anyway, thanks!
~Kazey

AlexOfLight says...

I can't figure out how to do that. I originally had stanzas, but when it was published it got rid of them. Thank you for the review though. :)

AlexOfLight says...

Nevermind, I added stanzas!

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates