z

Young Writers Society


18+ Violence Mature Content

The Gravedigger

by Aleta


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for violence and mature content.

The cemetery is quiet tonight. The air is hot and humid, thick enough to make a spirit retch on this summer’s night. Husky laughter and wheezing was often heard when the sun dropped from its holy zenith. No one came around these parts anymore. No one came to grieve, to cry or drop to their knees. The dead wailed in place of the family members who should have mourned for them. They were not talkative in the least today. The grave digger was not sure if he were sad or lonely. He had been a husk for awhile now, dry and lame, the waters of emotion long drunken into its last dregs. The passerby often blamed the panting and laughter on the dead.

“Dig ‘till you die. Dig, dig, dig. Sleep with the dead, dig ‘till you die. Dig. Die. Dig. Die.” The shovel hits the tense dirt and is flung over the lanky man's shoulder. His voice was steady, seemingly to be the voice of any common man. In Maryland, some people could slip by without a notice. No one cared about a guy who spent his night digging up dirt to fill with the space of a dead body. Why should they? They all shied away from him. He could not understand why. At times he had considered that it was perhaps the way he carried himself, but it could not be. It must’ve been that he didn’t have enough free time on his hands. Or maybe because of the bags under his eyes. It was always something.

Life seemed to drag on for the gravedigger. Each day seemed longer then the last one, and nothing exciting ever happened. He understood the common people would stray away from a man who buried the dead, a man who was plagued by hallucinations. Sometimes he was fine with that, but when loneliness crowded his mind a heavy mist of depression settled over him. It was 1959 in Maryland, the prime time to be out and about. They called it the dawn of a golden age. The gravedigger often contemplated if he would still be alive to witness the so called golden age. Pessimism always told him no, and he always agreed with it. Optimism was simply a facade of happiness, and he accepted being a melancholy loner. Pushing away his problems like he always did, his mind wandered to other things. 

Isaiah would bring him the misses’ casket soon enough, the French woman Calandre Delamore. The thought of her pallid white skin excited him. Did she have a husband? Was she a virgin? They were all very enthralling questions with no answers. With a huff he sat down, panting from the suffocation of the dusty air. His throat was dry, but the misses’ name was satisfying, a taste of thick honey on a poor man's cracked lips. It would provide enough comfort, to repeat her name over and over. And when he had finished doing so, for even a few hundred times, the moon’s sweet amber sheen looked appealing to his stomach. The grave digger could imagine the luscious, thick honey dripping off its surface. How it hungered him so! But even more than the hunger of food was the overpowering hunger of attraction. Imagining the woman was a delight enough, but to have his hands on her physical form would be a pleasing experience.

All he knew about the women was that she lapsed into a period of solitude. She refused to eat and drink, and did nothing but stare at her bedroom window with an empty look. The gravedigger was not certain if anyone tried to stop her death or figure out why she was acting in such a queer behavior. At least she did not die in physical pain. The soul of Calandre Delamore has already departed, and all that matters now is her body.

He enjoyed the still body of a corpse, how their skin was cold to the touch and how the chilliest of wind did not put a blush to their cheeks. How they could not make noise or refuse when he peeled off their clothes, or when he put a knife to their arm and suckled the salty red drink, like a kitten at its mother’s milk. It was all left up to his dark imaginings. The best thing about it was that it was not a crime if no one saw. In nightfall no one could glimpse his penetrating dark brown eyes, as those of an electrifying blue would stand out. It would not matter anyway. They would think of him to be a madman.

“But I am no madman,” he affirmed, “just a man with different tastes”.

As the night grew on him and the cricket’s chatter swelled into a cacophonous song, the gravedigger could no longer take it. Hands clenching at his sides, he stood and faced the forest’s edge. If only he could grab them all by their tiny throats and hear the bustle of their worried legs rubbing against each other as they choked. Even the crunch of their bodies under his boots would do. Some people were exactly like crickets; they would never shut up. They would go on and on about their day and somehow did not realize no one cared. When he was in the seventh grade, a girl named Jamey was boy obsessed and went through one childish relationship after the other.

They were all clearly of no value, and yet because she was such a sensitive and whiny child they were all serious matters in her eyes. It was disgusting to watch as all of her friends crowded around to comfort her. Not even the thought of Delamore’s flawless body could relieve his mind now. The gravedigger was cynical all of his life and saw no problem with it. If death itself fell into a man’s lap, its wings strained and crooked, he would feel sympathy for it nonetheless. When evil approaches a man, he accompanies it, and complains when it betrays him. It was a vile fault embedded into the lot of them.

Not only that, but Jamey had the face of a horse! What school boy would be attracted to such a horror? That was one of the gravedigger's most popular jokes when he was a boy. Everyone laughed, and so did the gravedigger, even though he felt nothing in his heart.

When the gravedigger acted like them in grade school, his peers adored him and his humor. As the act fell away, they no longer bothered to talk to him. Girls did not interest him either at that age, and so he was left alone in that regard. There was always something so interesting and attractive about the statuesque stillness of the dead. It was magical. As he grew, the bonds around his neck of animal magnetism strengthened until the breath was stolen from his chest. He could not get the thought of it out of his head. What did their blood taste like? How did they feel?

The gravedigger did not have a problem with living women, although the rise and fall of their chests always seemed to bother him greatly, and more so did the realization his did too. Conscious breathing was the worst. It reminded the gravedigger he was still alive. Sometimes he imagined what death would be like. One of those scenarios now emerged into his head.

Two hours from the present time, at exactly 3:16 A.M, the corpse of a twenty four year old man would be identified on these forest grounds. The frontal side of his throat is torn open and he is laying face down, the low swamp waters seeping through his fingertips. His left arm is torn down to the marrow and tufts of his black hair is wedged between his knuckles. Water bugs and roaches slurp off the rivers of his blood. To them, the only difference between water and blood is its thickness.

Smiling to himself, the gravedigger crouched down and squinted, imagining the exact place where his corpse would lay. The temptation to make the scenario come alive was overpowering. “My blood is the finest, and tastes the best,” he whispers in a guttural voice, “and it is too much of a treat for insects.” He stood, hurriedly walking away from the edge of the grinning forest that beckoned him back to its roost. Isiah should have been here by now! Each night he arrived at exactly one a.m, or just about. Something was wrong. The gravedigger could feel it. 

Hopefully the bugs are not after me, the gravedigger thought anxiously. Paranoid, he turned back for another look. Thousands of rotting, black teeth shook aggressively at him from the limbs of the tall trees. As they gnashed together, a high pitched whistle screeched from the depths of the forest. Breath hitching in his throat, the gravedigger stood there. He could feel the brushes of the tree’s spiked limbs on his shoulders. The night closed in on him until he could see nothing at all. Swamp water filled his nostrils and his body melted into the ground. And all was quiet, save for one barbed, sweet voice that resonated through his head.

"Wait for tomorrow."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144000
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:14 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Well I found this piece to be a pretty disturbing read. But that's what halloween's for I guess, right?

I think I really agree with Stormcloud that you might need to work more on the balance of gross-out and suspense if you want it to be scary.

Some suggestions:

1) You could make it ambiguous initially whether or not the woman was dead to make it more scary/spooky.

2) Also one element that makes a scary story more scary is feeling connections with the characters -- either the villains or the victims. We don't get any background really on the deceased woman so it's hard to feel a connection to her (even though it's completely awful and horrible what the man is doing to her) and we get very little description of the people walking past the graveyard. I would suggest giving more little background details on those people if you can.

Also on that subject, I was really curious the whole time what the background of the villain/grave digger guy was! So I think that would be an important element to add more to if you have a chance as well.

You do a pretty solid job on both tone and imagery throughout -- the word choice is very spooky and fits the piece perfectly. The whole time I was reading I was just thinking, "gross, gross, yuck, gross, chills, scary, gross, gross..." you get the idea...

3) A piece like this has so much opportunity for morbid-humor. Not to "lighten-up" the mood so much, but to provide a contrast to the horror element. By adding a little lightness either from the character's backstories or from humor, allows the reader to have a little break to process and feel comfortable/safe for a moment before you go back into the horror. This ends up making the dark/scary scenes even darker because of that contrast element.


Overall, I will honestly say I did not enjoy reading this piece, which is something I rarely would say - but I think that's kind of the point is that it's not supposed to be a happy feel-good piece, but is creepy.

~alliyah

This review has been brought to you by Team Werewolves. Happy Review Day!




Aleta says...


Thank you! I've already just now added an element of 3, and I think this is a great suggestion. As for 1, I've added somewhat of a backstory and I will definitely work on 2.



User avatar
494 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 494

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:14 am
View Likes
Holysocks wrote a review...



Hey there! Happy Review Day!

I actually really enjoyed this! I've always loved graveyards as settings, and this story is no exception to that! Plus, since it's about the gravedigger, that just makes it even MORE interesting, because it's a job that seems very mysterious (even if the reality of modern day grave digging simply is done by two guys with a excavator of some sort and isn't mysterious at all). The fact that he's up to some sinister stuff on top of his mysterious job- or is taking advantage of his mysterious job, is even more intriguing.

Something though that I wanted to mention is - yes this was a pretty cool opening, and I like the idea - but where is this going? We just got a glimpse into some guy's twisted life, but we have no idea really why we should care. What's next? There wasn't really any sort of window into what this novel would be about, other than this man, who's secret has been revealed. So now what? I'm not asking for you to tell me what you have planned for this story, I'm asking for you to tell us in this first part what you have planned for this. What's at stake here? Is there a stake? What's going to go down? We need some questions. If we don't have questions, we won't look for answers. Sure, there's one question: why does this man do the things that he does? But you already basically answered that: he's nuts. So we need more questions. Questions that urge us to read on. And you can achieve this usually by dropping little hints about the future plot. A window into a future problem, perhaps?

suckled the warm red drink,


The corpse's were just described as cold- which is normally what corpse's are, but then there's an inconsistency here. The blood isn't going to be warm if the corpse is cold. I also don't think the blood would really run after someone has been dead for a couple days. I think it normally gets really thick and even congealed (maybe not if it's stayed inside the body... but I'm not sure). My advice: research! I know we did have a mortician on the site awhile ago, but I don't know if she's still here. They're a good resource to have though, especially if you're writing a novel about death!

The other thing I wanted to mention is that the last part about the bugs was confusing. I'm not sure if it was something that was actually happening or if it was a hallucination or if that guy was just really really paranoid about bugs suddenly. It might be worth it to try to clear that up a little. Though maybe that was just me? (Also I didn't understand that he had died until I just read Lizz's comment about that now)

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing where you go with this! When I saw the warning you put I thought I was getting in over my head! And while I was reading, I thought that he actually was doing something worse to the corpses. But I learnt that wasn't the case! Keep it up!

-Socks




User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:05 am
View Likes
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hello there fellow werewolf.

The subject matter of this interested me because most of what I've read about necrophilia, was in relations to some serial killers, but I remembered the horror genre being quite fond of it as well. I'm trying to remember what book it was that I read but I know they often stage morticians as necrophiliacs, simple because of all of their opportunities. The same would go for someone who works in a graveyard but I feel like the level of emotions going on here would be different.
You should also probably put a better rating on this since it is very suggestive of mature themes.

The plot jumps around a bit too much for my tastes and you also filed this under chapter, which confused me a bit. I am intrigued by the concept of this being a novel, his journey in the spirit world and possibly a further explanation into things, but I'm thinking that was just a mistake. The ending is split so that it can go either way, tying up just enough loose strings so that they can be manipulated. That is one of the few things that I appreciate about this work, how meticulous you were in some spots.
But then you seemed rather careless in others, by involving particular memories of his past. They all seemed a bit out of touch and too lively to be matching with the constant somber tone that you were trying to form. This matches back into the point of the scene jumping, where the story just didn't seem to manage to hold down one thought for too long, moving before the reader could get a good sense of what was going on. I think that I recognize why you chose this course of action but it doesn't quote get the job done.

[quote]“But I am no madman,” he affirmed, “just a man with different tastes”.[quote]
You did make some attempts at humanizing him, trying to make it seem like the things he was doing weren't so bad after all, but his eventual demise kinda disproved that. I do like certain parts of your set up though and this was another one of them, in a piece where I didn't think that I would find anything to like.

Overall
The ending was particularly surprising because there was always that hint that he would die, just in how the nature of these things usually roll. You did a pretty good job of keeping up the attention of the reader, even though there was much to be wanted from the plot, it was still enjoyable in some respects. I guess that's really all have for now.




Aleta says...


Thank you for the critique! I'll definitely work on it. I changed the ending, although I doubt it helps much.



User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:52 am
inktopus wrote a review...



Hey, Aleta! Storm here for a review this fine Review Day, so let's jump right into it!

Husky laughter and wheezing was often heard when the sun dropped from its holy zenith.

You change from present to past tense in this sentence. Also, you should use 'were' instead of 'was'.

They were not talkative in the least today.

Since they're usually loud and wailing, shouldn't there be something like a 'but' or a 'however'?

The grave digger was not sure if he were sad or lonely.

Another 'were' versus 'was' issue, only this time, 'was' is the word you should have used.

He had been a husk for awhile now, dry and lame, the waters of emotion long drunken into its last dregs. The passerby often blamed the panting and laughter on the dead.

That first sentence is not worded clearly, and I think 'drunken' is being used incorrectly. I also don't see how these two sentences connect. It doesn't seem like they belong in the same paragraph.

The shovel hits the tense dirt and is flung over the lanky man's shoulder. His voice was steady, seemingly to be the voice of any common man.

Tense change again to present tense, and then back to past in the next sentence.

How they could not make noise or refuse when he peeled off their clothes, or when he put a knife to their arm and suckled the warm red drink, like a kitten at its mother’s milk.

Are these corpses unembalmed? When and where is this taking place because embalming because popular around the time of the Civil War because it kept the bodies of the dead soldiers fresh when they arrived home to their families. If this is after then, then the gravedigger has probably been drinking embalming fluid and should probably be dead because of all of the deadly chemicals that go into embalming.

Okay then. I feel like the sole reason this was written was to be edgy and unpleasant. I have to say you succeeded at that. Other than that, I didn't really see a reason for this being written. There wasn't really a goal to be reached. No problem to be solved. You just talked about this grave digging necrophiliac and how creepy he was. I do see that this is labeled as a novel chapter, but this doesn't really seem to be conducive to a novel. It's also labeled as horror, but there's no suspense, just gross-out allusions to corpse sex and some gory descriptions.

~Storm




Aleta says...


Thank you for the critique! I've added a time so it isn't confusing.



Aleta says...


As for the last part, I've now included a problem so that there's a point to the story.




Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg